Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 6 of 37 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    vCash
    why isn't anyone talking about Bo Gentry i mean come on he was the number 2 pick in the draft...so what if he cant hit a curveball

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fly View Post
    There's no package we could realistically offer for him.
    Correct. I would think the Braves could offer the top five prospects in their system and that wouldn't be enough. Stanton won't come to Atlanta.

Quote Originally Posted by ATL#22 View Post
    I think his offense would already be weak there and if his offense declined at all it would be tough to keep a black whole in LF.
    His offense would be weak there, but his defense would be ridiculously strong. If he's generating 2-3 wins a year with his glove, that can make up for a LOT of offensive weakness. As I've said for a long time, I wouldn't want to still have Bourn on the payroll when he's 35 and his wheels are falling off, but in the near term his speed and defense should be more than enough to make him an asset, even in left field.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rtgthree View Post
    Correct. I would think the Braves could offer the top five prospects in their system and that wouldn't be enough. Stanton won't come to Atlanta.

His offense would be weak there, but his defense would be ridiculously strong. If he's generating 2-3 wins a year with his glove, that can make up for a LOT of offensive weakness. As I've said for a long time, I wouldn't want to still have Bourn on the payroll when he's 35 and his wheels are falling off, but in the near term his speed and defense should be more than enough to make him an asset, even in left field.
    I disagree with you completely. Medlen, Teheran, Salcedo/Bathencourt will get you to the negotiating table. or Medlen and Simmons will definitely get their interest and could possibly get it done. or even Teheran, Delgado, Gilmarten, Mauricio Cabrera and Peraza could in my opinion get it done.

Do we want to part with these guys? probably not, but lets not say we dont have the pieces if we really wanted go after him.
    El Oso Blanco

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GoBraves View Post
    I disagree with you completely. Medlen, Teheran, Salcedo/Bathencourt will get you to the negotiating table. or Medlen and Simmons will definitely get their interest and could possibly get it done. or even Teheran, Delgado, Gilmarten, Mauricio Cabrera and Peraza could in my opinion get it done.

Do we want to part with these guys? probably not, but lets not say we dont have the pieces if we really wanted go after him.
    Well yes but trading Medlen and Teheran would defeat the purpose of going for it because we would have 0 pitching depth but even then that group just gets you talking about Stanton.
    Last edited by ATL#22; 12-30-2012 at 05:56 PM.

The Cult of Gattis

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ATL#22 View Post
    Well yes but trading Medlen and Teheran would defeat the purpose of going for it because we would have 0 pitching depth but even then that group just gets you talking about Stanton.
    I agree with you. We would be filling one hole while creating another. But we're not really counting on Teheran Yet. So you would really only lose Medlen from last years team. I do believe a Teheran, Medlen and another top 10 braves prospect can get it done.
    El Oso Blanco

vCash

Note that I said "top five prospects." Medlen is not a prospect, and the reason I mentioned prospects only is that trading pieces off the big-league club just doesn't make sense for a Braves team that's poised to contend with or without Stanton. And a package of Graham, Teheran, Spruill, Gilmartin and Ahmed (the Braves' top five trade-eligible prospects, according to John Sickels) isn't even close to enough. The Marlins aren't going to trade Stanton inside the division without getting one or more surefire elite talents in return.

Furthermore, Medlen wouldn't interest the Marlins much. If they're trading Stanton, they're clearly not planning on contending in the next two years. So even if they're contenders three years from now, that would give them one useful year of Medlen before he becomes a free agent. They want prospects, and when I say prospects, I mean A-grade top-flight prospects. The Braves don't have a single A-grade top-flight prospect right now.

So, taking Medlen out of the equation short-circuits your first two proposals, and your third one still doesn't include the depth and quality of prospects that it would cost.

I do believe a Teheran, Medlen and another top 10 braves prospect can get it done.
    Nope. Not even close.

vCash
    Note that I said "top five prospects." Medlen is not a prospect, and the reason I mentioned prospects only is that trading pieces off the big-league club just doesn't make sense for a Braves team that's poised to contend with or without Stanton. And a package of Graham, Teheran, Spruill, Gilmartin and Ahmed (the Braves' top five trade-eligible prospects, according to John Sickels) isn't even close to enough. The Marlins aren't going to trade Stanton inside the division without getting one or more surefire elite talents in return.

Furthermore, Medlen wouldn't interest the Marlins much. If they're trading Stanton, they're clearly not planning on contending in the next two years. So even if they're contenders three years from now, that would give them one useful year of Medlen before he becomes a free agent. They want prospects, and when I say prospects, I mean A-grade top-flight prospects. The Braves don't have a single A-grade top-flight prospect right now.

So, taking Medlen out of the equation short-circuits your first two proposals, and your third one still doesn't include the depth and quality of prospects that it would cost.

Nope. Not even close.
    My apologies. I must've overlooked the "prospects" part. And yes, you are right we do not have the prospects to complete such deal. But we can potentially put together a package of young MLB'ers such as Simmons, Teheran, Delgado and such to get him. I would not want to part with these players however.
    El Oso Blanco

vCash
    young, cheap, controllable players proven to succeed at mlb level > 'top-tier' prospects yet to taste the big leagues. if wanted to get the job done, simmons and teheran + others are as good of a package as another team would dish out... so i guess i'm with gobraves on this one.
    HAWKS 13 PREMIERS

"We're under a level-5 quarantine, so I'm just gonna have to stripsearch you girls!"
    -Portman

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chipurmunki View Post
    young, cheap, controllable players proven to succeed at mlb level > 'top-tier' prospects yet to taste the big leagues. if wanted to get the job done, simmons and teheran + others are as good of a package as another team would dish out... so i guess i'm with gobraves on this one.
    This was exactly my point. We may not have the "prospects" but that is because they're already contributing at the MLB level. Isn't that the goal of any prospect.

Also, can you name 5 "prospects" in the minors that you would trade Simmons for? I cant. Similar with Medlen. So while we may not have the "prospects" to get Stanton, we have better pieces to offer than just prospects.
    El Oso Blanco

vCash
    right, if we want to, we can get the deal done. i just don't wanna try.
    HAWKS 13 PREMIERS

"We're under a level-5 quarantine, so I'm just gonna have to stripsearch you girls!"
    -Portman

vCash
    But we can potentially put together a package of young MLB'ers such as Simmons, Teheran, Delgado and such to get him. I would not want to part with these players however.
    Simmons, Teheran and Delgado might be enough of a package to get a conversation started at least, with a couple other prospects going to the Marlins. But as you say, the Braves just can't afford to do that. So the point goes back to where we started: Atlanta doesn't even have the pieces to make a reasonable offer.

Also, can you name 5 "prospects" in the minors that you would trade Simmons for? I cant. Similar with Medlen. So while we may not have the "prospects" to get Stanton, we have better pieces to offer than just prospects.
    Do you mean a group of five prospects or any five prospects I would trade him for individually? I can definitely name at least three prospects for whom I would give up Simmons in a one-for-one swap, without thinking twice. Medlen is different in my book because he's an ace and that's the one untouchable thing in the baseball world.

vCash
    Javier Vazquez announced he wants to return to MLB.

"Winning the World Series, quite simply, is the only thing (I’m interested in). It’s a team award, since I’m not interested in individual awards. In truth, what I’m missing is a World Series victory...If I decide (to play), it doesn’t matter for what team, as long as they have a good possibility to get to the championship. I’m not going to sign with a team knowing that I’m going to lose," said Vazquez
    He stated he's going to play in the World Baseball Classic and gauge interest from there. I know the Braves are overloaded at SP, and it's time to get some of these youngsters in the rotation to see if they can produce, but I would think the Braves are the exact type of team he'd be interested in and if the price is right, he could be a bargain 5th starter.

Just something to watch.

vCash
    Simmons, Teheran and Delgado might be enough of a package to get a conversation started at least, with a couple other prospects going to the Marlins. But as you say, the Braves just can't afford to do that. So the point goes back to where we started: Atlanta doesn't even have the pieces to make a reasonable offer.

Do you mean a group of five prospects or any five prospects I would trade him for individually? I can definitely name at least three prospects for whom I would give up Simmons in a one-for-one swap, without thinking twice. Medlen is different in my book because he's an ace and that's the one untouchable thing in the baseball world.
    Yes, please tell me three "prospects" you would trade Simmons for without "thinking twice about it". I mean one-for-one trade. I dont think there is a prospect out there that is clearly THAT much better than Simmons at this point. its not like there is a Strasburg or Heyward or a Trout, Stanton in this group.

I am also certain that whoever you pick to trade simba for, half of the posters in the forum will not agree with you. I have a feeling you will have Profar, Taveras, Myers will be your three. I think you underestimate Simmons and his potential to be the best defensive SS in the game for years to come.
    El Oso Blanco

vCash
    Yes, please tell me three "prospects" you would trade Simmons for without "thinking twice about it". I mean one-for-one trade. I dont think there is a prospect out there that is clearly THAT much better than Simmons at this point. its not like there is a Strasburg or Heyward or a Trout, Stanton in this group.

I am also certain that whoever you pick to trade simba for, half of the posters in the forum will not agree with you. I have a feeling you will have Profar, Taveras, Myers will be your three. I think you underestimate Simmons and his potential to be the best defensive SS in the game for years to come.
    I'd definitely trade Simmons for any of those three.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fly View Post
    I'd definitely trade Simmons for any of those three.
    I probably would too. But I would really "think about it" lol. which is something rtg said he would not even do. These trades should not be a no brainer for the Braves either as these prospects have not proven anything yet at the major league level. Profar was miserable at his short stint in the ML.

For example if we did have a very good outfielder, I would not trade Simmons for Myers. So it really depends on the situation. Remember the Braves declined a trade for J. Upton because they did not want to part with Simmons.
    El Oso Blanco

Page 6 of 37 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast