Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 17 of 37 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HickCaesar
    Yeah they really don't promote it at all, not sure why, it's a fun event.
    It's a trend, you already see how the league struggles to promote its own stars. Networks like ESPN barely even mention the WBC, so how do they expect the country to get fired up to watch/participate? Only die hard fans like us.

vCash
    @ajcbraves OK, this is insane: In 109 appearances since 6/14/11, #Braves Kimbrel has 1.09 ERA, .131 opp avg, 48H, 195K/31BB in 107-2/3 IP. 70/76 svs
    Dude is ridiculously good.
    <span style=font-family: Georgia>[II][/I]</span>

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravo95 View Post
    It's a trend, you already see how the league struggles to promote its own stars. Networks like ESPN barely even mention the WBC, so how do they expect the country to get fired up to watch/participate? Only die hard fans like us.
    In latin america this tournament get a lot of attention, you can see the rosters from DR, VEN, PR. Those countries take it seriously and people are really interested in the classic. I agree with you that the MLB have to take some of the blame because poor promotion but the USA players and teams front office are the one who should take all the heat.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by beldugo
    In latin america this tournament get a lot of attention, you can see the rosters from DR, VEN, PR. Those countries take it seriously and people are really interested in the classic. I agree with you that the MLB have to take some of the blame because poor promotion but the USA players and teams front office are the one who should take all the heat.
    One of the reasons baseball became my favorite sport when I was a kid was the diversity. You had stars from all ethnic backgrounds and I was raised in a very racially mixed neighborhood for most of my childhood so everyone kinda had someone to root for, ya know? But over the years IMO the (for lack of a better word) "enthusiasm" for the sport has eroded nationally and it seems to me at least like the MLB got caught flat-footed because they still don't know how to use their resources and outlets to promote the sport to all demographics.

So a lot of American born players start to treat it like a job where they only do as much as required by contract, and casual American fans start to treat it like a cult or niche sport. It's kind of like how boxing was once a HUGE deal in the US (and the sweet science still has good viewership numbers) but the real passion and enthusiasm has shifted towards Latin American countries and Europe. The problem lies with the promoters/promotion, just like every other sport, and despite these enormous regional sports network TV deals, in many ways the MLB is getting left behind.
    Last edited by Bravo95; 01-18-2013 at 01:57 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravo95 View Post
    One of the reasons baseball became my favorite sport when I was a kid was the diversity. You had stars from all ethnic backgrounds and I was raised in a very racially mixed neighborhood for most of my childhood so everyone kinda had someone to root for, ya know? But over the years IMO the (for lack of a better word) "enthusiasm" for the sport has eroded nationally and it seems to me at least like the MLB got caught flat-footed because they still don't know how to use their resources and outlets to promote the sport to all demographics.

So a lot of American born players start to treat it like a job where they only do as much as required by contract, and casual American fans start to treat it like a cult or niche sport. It's kind of like how boxing was once a HUGE deal in the US (and the sweet science still has good viewership numbers) but the real passion and enthusiasm has shifted towards Latin American countries and Europe. The problem lies with the promoters/promotion, just like every other sport, and despite these enormous regional sports network TV deals, in many ways the MLB is getting left behind.
    Those were some great points. I hope that could change in the future i just want the WBC to be similar to the soccer World Cup.

vCash
    Not a big fan of the WBC because a lot of the best players back out which waters it down. There's just too much injury risk in baseball for these world tournaments

The Cult of Gattis

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by beldugo
    Those were some great points. I hope that could change in the future i just want the WBC to be similar to the soccer World Cup
    MLB would need to overhaul their PR/marketing depts and general way of thinking. But since you mentioned that...

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2012...d-game-1-ever/
    Game 1 of the Tigers/Giants World Series drew a 7.6 final rating and 12.2 million viewers on FOX, according to Nielsen fast-nationals — down 13% in ratings and 14% in viewership from Rangers/Cardinals Game 1 last year (8.7, 14.174M), and down 15% and 18%, respectively, from Rangers/Giants Game 1 in 2010 (8.9, 15.009M).

Wednesday’s game ranks as the lowest rated and least-viewed Game 1 of any World Series. The previous lows were an 8.0 and 12.840 million for Cardinals/Tigers Game 1 on a Saturday night in 2006.
    And San Francisco and Detroit are not small markets. But when it comes to American participation in the World Cup:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-0...n-history.html
    The U.S.’s 2-1 loss to Ghana in the World Cup’s round of 16 was the most watched men’s soccer match in American history, according to Walt Disney Co.’s ESPN channel.

The June 26 game, which was shown on the ABC channel, averaged an 8.2 rating, 9.455 million households and 14.9 million viewers, ESPN said yesterday in an e-mailed statement.
    ...or even when the U.S. isn't involved:

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...million/56860/
    Yesterday’s World Cup Final between Spain and the Netherlands drew a total of 24.3 million U.S. viewers, making it the most watched soccer game in U.S. television history, according to The Nielsen Company. The figure, which includes viewership on both ABC and Univision during the two-and-a-half-hour game window (2:30 to 5pm ET), surpasses the record of 19.4 million viewers that tuned in to the U.S.-Ghana match earlier in this World Cup.
    Game 1 of the World Series hasn't attracted 20 million viewers since 2004. I've said this before, but based on the trajectory of the numbers, I believe the United States in a World Cup final against a team like Mexico or Brazil would be the most watched sporting event in American history, or close to it, if it ever happens. I'm talking Super Bowl numbers. The MLB execs should be embarrassed that other leagues are leaving them in the dust like that.
    Last edited by Bravo95; 01-18-2013 at 07:48 PM.

vCash
    U.S. in the World Cup finals wouldn't touch the Super Bowl. Also, the World Cup is an event, so you can't compare it to MLB. Since it only happens every four years, it can draw in the casual fan much like the Olympics. Much like soccer track and field wouldn't generate continual interest, but sprinkle in some national pride and only have it a couple times a decade, and it will draw ratings.

vCash
    I'm not an expert in arbitration but according to the article below, Prado requested a $7M salary and the Braves countered with $6.6M...not thats not allot but it's pretty bad when a team won't honor a reasonable request but gladly overpay Uggla who's play isn't worth half of $7M....this to me is sad!

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/0...g-numbers.html
    Die hard Atlanta Braves, Dallas Cowboys and New York Knicks fan.

vCash
    Yeah, we really need to get our **** together and give Prado an extension. Dude really deserves it.

vCash
    Just dont understand why they didnt accept prados offer of 7 million? And countered with 6.6 ?the guy is a total team player and has saved the teams butt a number of times!

vCash
    only 6.6 million? poor guy. i dont know how anyone could survive on that salary.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by iamaj View Post
    U.S. in the World Cup finals wouldn't touch the Super Bowl. Also, the World Cup is an event, so you can't compare it to MLB. Since it only happens every four years, it can draw in the casual fan much like the Olympics. Much like soccer track and field wouldn't generate continual interest, but sprinkle in some national pride and only have it a couple times a decade, and it will draw ratings.

I hope you're only referring to the US, because if you have ever looked outside of your cave, you would realize how big soccer is the rest of the world. The English Premier for example continually generates interest around the world and has higher ratings than any professional sports league in the US.
    El Oso Blanco

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GoBraves View Post
    I hope you're only referring to the US, because if you have ever looked outside of your cave, you would realize how big soccer is the rest of the world. The English Premier for example continually generates interest around the world and has higher ratings than any professional sports league in the US.
    Pretty sure he just meant in the USA

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by westside View Post
    Dude is ridiculously good.
    Best closer in baseball.

Page 17 of 37 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast