Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 8 of 37 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    vCash
    nah, i don't agree with that, fjaschler. we can make a trade work if we wanted to. the problem is selling the farm to do so. we won't do it not because we are depleted, but because we will be. marlins would want us to deplete our farm system, though.
    HAWKS 13 PREMIERS

"We're under a level-5 quarantine, so I'm just gonna have to stripsearch you girls!"
    -Portman

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chipurmunki View Post
    nah, i don't agree with that, fjaschler. we can make a trade work if we wanted to. the problem is selling the farm to do so. we won't do it not because we are depleted, but because we will be. marlins would want us to deplete our farm system, though.
    We simply do not have the pieces to compete in the trade market for Stanton. Look at some of the other teams that would want him and what they have to offer prospect wise and compare that to us. The upside is not as high on most of our guys, we have guys with higher floors than most but the ceilings can't compete. Stanton is a very desirable acquisition for pretty much any team in baseball with an open corner outfielder slot because at least for now not only is he one of the biggest right handed pure power hitters in the game, but he's cheap.

vCash
    Would you guys package Simmons with other prospects for Stanton? Just out of curiosity since I saw Mariners had discussions with Marlins on him...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HowFit View Post
    Would you guys package Simmons with other prospects for Stanton? Just out of curiosity since I saw Mariners had discussions with Marlins on him...
    No. while Stanton is a very talented player, we'd be creating another hole that would be very hard to replace. Simmons likely has a few all-star and gold glove awards in his future, and these type of players are very hard to aquire, and we already have one.
    <span style=font-family: Georgia>[II][/I]</span>

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HowFit View Post
    No! But I think almost all other names outside of Heyward, Freeman, and Simmons would be available. I don't know that the Braves could strike a deal for him, but I'm sure FW has done his due diligence on Stanton. I personally don't think he's really available, unless he and his agent force a trade. Even then we are talking about a very expensive player, prospect and player wise in trade.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SB75 View Post
    No! But I think almost all other names outside of Heyward, Freeman, and Simmons would be available. I don't know that the Braves could strike a deal for him, but I'm sure FW has done his due diligence on Stanton. I personally don't think he's really available, unless he and his agent force a trade. Even then we are talking about a very expensive player, prospect and player wise in trade.
    You won't trade Freeman+ for Stanton? Getting a good hitting first baseman is not that hard, and if you are trading for someone like Stanton who is on his way to easily reach 500 homers you have to do it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by beldugo View Post
    You won't trade Freeman+ for Stanton? Getting a good hitting first baseman is not that hard, and if you are trading for someone like Stanton who is on his way to easily reach 500 homers you have to do it.
    As long as we realize that this is discussion for discussion's sake I'd say yes for Freeman or Simmons. If there is only one identifiable hole left it's a no brainer. The glaring oversight is that there are teams with much deeper pockets and systems for that matter and they aren't in our division. Loria's a dope but he's no John Boehner.
    Last edited by GLASSMAN; 01-02-2013 at 11:08 PM.
    Gonna miss the Magician
    Just another tricky day for you.

vCash
    Freeman, a 23 year old, cheap, controllable power hittin 1b isnt just falling out of the sky. Same can be said for simmons. These players are more valuable in terms of availability than a OF. Its just a discussion, but I wouldnt do it.
    <span style=font-family: Georgia>[II][/I]</span>

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by westside View Post
    Freeman, a 23 year old, cheap, controllable power hittin 1b isnt just falling out of the sky. Same can be said for simmons. These players are more valuable in terms of availability than a OF. Its just a discussion, but I wouldnt do it.
    True but the ceiling in respect to the long term would most likely graph out in favor of Stanton. Moot point but Stanton would likely be more valuable in the long run than either Freeman or Simmons.
    Last edited by GLASSMAN; 01-02-2013 at 11:53 PM.
    Gonna miss the Magician
    Just another tricky day for you.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by westside View Post
    Right now Freeman and Stanton are not comparable players, one is a good young player who should be an above average player in the most offensive position in the league, the other one is on his way to the HOF if he keep his production,i know is quite early to say it but you don't see this kind of power frequently. In my opinion Stanton is one of the 5 players in the MLB with more trade value, along with Trout, Harper, Posey and Longoria. Freeman is very good, but is easier to find equal talent in the Free agent/trade market or draft, than a talent as Stanton. In my opinion i wouldn't think twice to use Freeman as a trade piece for Stanton.

vCash
    To address all of the above comments....... Would I trade Freeman straight up for Stanton? Yes! Bit it wouldn't be straight up and I don't see the Braves packaging him with other high end prospects or young players to get a deal done...... So I put him in the circle of 3 with Heyward and Simmons that FW is almost (key word is almost) certain not to trade.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SB75 View Post
    To address all of the above comments....... Would I trade Freeman straight up for Stanton? Yes! Bit it wouldn't be straight up and I don't see the Braves packaging him with other high end prospects or young players to get a deal done...... So I put him in the circle of 3 with Heyward and Simmons that FW is almost (key word is almost) certain not to trade.
    Yeah were just talking here, i don't think we should trade for Stanton because he will cost too much, but in a world where FW wants to make a trade for Stanton i would be fine if Freeman is part of the deal.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by beldugo View Post
    Yeah were just talking here, i don't think we should trade for Stanton because he will cost too much, but in a world where FW wants to make a trade for Stanton i would be fine if Freeman is part of the deal.
    Stanton is under control til 2016. A lot could happen between now and then (I was hoping mainly a new ownership)

I wouldn't mind seeing a package of Freeman and prospects for Stanton then bring back LaRoche. It sure would equal a powerful lineup here in Atlanta...

I'm just doing a wishful thinking here bc I know this would not happen unless Florida was desperate to trade him, then why would they trade within their division? Just asking you fellas this out of curiosity is all...

vCash
    My main issues with mentions of Freeman and Simmons going to get Stanton are that we'd be creating two holes to fill one, left field, he's not taking over in Right for Heyward, Heyward is better defensively at the position. The idea that Freeman is easily replaceable is dead wrong, the braves don't have the available money to replace that production at first. The idea that Simmons is replaceable is even more questionable. Yes, we have another very good SS prospect on the farm but he's nowhere near ready, Simmons bat may never be stellar but it's not a stretch in the least to expect him to always be at least average or slightly better at the plate. His defense could only be replaced at this time by people that are below average hitters. As much as I'd love to have Stanton on our team those two pieces along with all the other prospects with no MLB experience we'd have to give up in order to acquire him would simply wreck the team. A pure prospects package would have to have a lot of high ceiling talent which we don't have enough of in the farm system to get them to even sniff our offer. Make no mistake if someone does make a trade for him it will literally cost the farm.

vCash
    ^^^ It seems the Marlins, unlike most teams take what they think is The best deal on the table. I don't fault them for it, it's just the school way of thinking.... For all those wanting to trade Freeman...... If the Marlins do indeed think Med's is the second coming of Greg, would you sell high on Med's and put him in a package with maybe Prado, to get a deal done?

Page 8 of 37 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast