Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Patient Daye passes first test to get another shot at securing a spot in rotation

By Brendan Savage | bsavage@mlive.com
    on December 18, 2012 at 5:27 PM, updated December 18, 2012 at 5:30 PM

AUBURN HILLS – Austin Daye passed his first audition in the Detroit Pistons search for a backup small forward and will get another opportunity to show he deserves the job fulltime.

While Monday night's stat sheet might not reflect the type of results fans were hoping for, coach Lawrence Frank liked what he saw when Daye played for the first time in almost three weeks during an 88-76 loss to the Los Angeles Clippers.

So much that Daye will get another shot at becoming Tayshaun Prince's permanent backup when the Pistons visit the Toronto Raptors Wednesday night.

"He only took two shots, but he was engaged in the boards in terms of keeping balls alive," Frank said Tuesday. "He took an NBA foul against (Blake) Griffin when he got beat on an early post-up. He made simple plays. He also made some mistakes. For a guy who hasn't really played the entire year, I thought he did well.

"It's an adjustment. When you're not playing, you'll do anything to play. Austin, the whole thing in his NBA career is what's his best position? You have a guy who can do different things at each spot."

Finding a position for Daye has been a challenge.

Although he's 6-foot-11, Daye weighs 200 pounds and doesn't possess the type of strength it takes to play power forward, where he started the season before becoming the third player the Pistons have employed as Prince's backup.

Jonas Jerebko started the season as the backup small forward before veteran Corey Maggette assumed the role after missing the first eight games of the season with a calf strain.

But Maggette didn't give the Pistons what they were seeking so Daye's number came up against the Clippers despite the fact that he hadn't played since a 117-77 victory over Phoenix Nov. 28.

The game vs. Phoenix marked Daye's fifth appearance of the season. In those five games, he had a total of 12 points, five rebounds and two assists while playing a combined 24 minutes.

Against the Clippers, he played 19 minutes and had two points, two rebounds, an assist and two points.

"I played pretty well," Daye said. "I'm trying to stick with it. I'm still being aggressive, trying to make plays. I'm trying not to be tentative. I just want to be aggressive. When you're aggressive, you make plays."

One thing that impressed Frank was Daye's attitude when he languished on the bench.

Daye waited patiently for his opportunity while continuing to work hard in practice with assistant coaches Charles Klask and Dee Brown.

"I'm very, very proud of Austin ... just to see the development and maturity," Frank said. "Every single player in the NBA wants to play. The guys that are able to fit in the league in a reserve role are the guys who get it from a professional expectation every single day.

"Austin has been very, very good every day."

Daye, who is in his fourth season after being the 15th overall pick in the 2009 draft out of Gonzaga, admitted that earlier in his career he might not have handled the lack of playing time as well as he has this season.

"I'm older," said Daye, 24. "When you're a kid and things don't go your way, you want them to go your way no matter what. As a man, you have to mature and you have to make things happen on your own."

Daye is averaging 2.3 points and 1.2 rebounds in six games this season. Only Khris Middleton and Slava Kravtsov have played less than Daye.

His best season was in 2010-11, when 7.5 points, 3.8 rebounds and 1.1 assists while playing 20 minutes per game.
    http://www.mlive.com/pistons/index.s...other_sho.html

GunFactor's Words Of Wisdom:

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mc...e3hno1_500.jpg
    Last edited by Bob_at_york; 12-19-2012 at 02:23 PM.

Dathomir Rancors (2-1)

vCash
    Of course Frank thinks Daye deserves the spot the guys is a idiot.Im actually surprised hes not giving Daye the starting center spot to play along side Monroe.

vCash
    I lol'd when he said "As a man"

vCash
    This right here screams one thing: Tank. We're tanking baby. Woo.
    % of Souls Taken: 100

vCash
    "He only took two shots, but he was engaged in the boards in terms of keeping balls alive," Frank said Tuesday. "He took an NBA foul against (Blake) Griffin when he got beat on an early post-up. He made simple plays. He also made some mistakes. For a guy who hasn't really played the entire year, I thought he did well.

"It's an adjustment. When you're not playing, you'll do anything to play. Austin, the whole thing in his NBA career is what's his best position? You have a guy who can do different things at each spot."
    ok, im gonna give up.

hes serious too, thats the funny part

wen all drummond does is hustle n play hard he doesnt get a shot at starting, but this 6'11 pencil who cant even do the one thing he was hyped to do, shoot, and who barely plays but wen he does commits fouls n turnovers, is getting a shot at being a rotation player,smh, just smh.

i meann we hav a pretty good backup 3 in jerebko, but hes benched, for god knows what. this coach shuld hav been fired wen we were 0-8, im disguisted by his lack of knowledge of the game.

vCash
    Against the Clippers, he played 19 minutes and had two points, two rebounds, an assist and two points.

"I played pretty well," Daye said. "I'm trying to stick with it. I'm still being aggressive, trying to make plays. I'm trying not to be tentative. I just want to be aggressive. When you're aggressive, you make plays."

vCash
    Lmfao @ frank

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HotMayo View Post
    Lmfao @ frank
    MAYO!!!!!

Dathomir Rancors (2-1)

vCash
    Lawrence Frank is the biggest idiot alive in the world. Baffles me how stupid he continues to be.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HotMayo View Post
    Lmfao @ frank
    Did royce white come back to the nba or something?

vCash
    lol

vCash
    While JJ sits on the bench. I can't believe this, I am so disappointed!

vCash
    Well, I wouldn't totally rip what Frank said. He's obviously trying to build the guy's confidence up.

I look at it two ways: One, maybe it's one last look at Daye with an eye towards the summer. If he is able to do something or not, we know for sure. Maybe he's destined to be a career backup and will come cheap. Or second, perhaps a bit of showcase. He's making ~3M this season and is an expiring contract. Pair him up with JMax, Bynum, Maggette and you're looking at 6M-13M in expiring contracts between him and just one of the others.

With the cap, team rosters, etc., it's going to be hard to do a two-fer or three-fer. Maybe you send him to somebody whos looking for a guy 5-10 minutes a game and pick up a second round or late first round pick.

I think JJ is our answer at the backup 3 or the 4 if we were to go small. I think this is more of a looksey and figuring out the rotation. Do we cast this guy to the end of the bench for the rest of the year before we watch him play one more time? Plus it might be signs to JJ that no matter how long you're on the bench, if your number is called jump in.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shyfly24 View Post
    Did royce white come back to the nba or something?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by markbutter View Post
    Well, I wouldn't totally rip what Frank said. He's obviously trying to build the guy's confidence up.

I look at it two ways: One, maybe it's one last look at Daye with an eye towards the summer. If he is able to do something or not, we know for sure. Maybe he's destined to be a career backup and will come cheap. Or second, perhaps a bit of showcase. He's making ~3M this season and is an expiring contract. Pair him up with JMax, Bynum, Maggette and you're looking at 6M-13M in expiring contracts between him and just one of the others.

With the cap, team rosters, etc., it's going to be hard to do a two-fer or three-fer. Maybe you send him to somebody whos looking for a guy 5-10 minutes a game and pick up a second round or late first round pick.

I think JJ is our answer at the backup 3 or the 4 if we were to go small. I think this is more of a looksey and figuring out the rotation. Do we cast this guy to the end of the bench for the rest of the year before we watch him play one more time? Plus it might be signs to JJ that no matter how long you're on the bench, if your number is called jump in.

I'll cosign that. Daye's contract is up this year and he is not likely to be a Piston going forward. It's obvious this season isn't going to be a winning one or overly successful, so we might as well see what we have with players like Daye. Even if we picked up the very last pick in the second round for him it is still better then just letting him go for nothing. I almost think Daye will end up being an ok player for somebody, just not going to work out here I dont think.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast