Let me just tell you guys this up front. I had a dream last night that Green Bay would win this game 56-0 and it was announced that Mike Munchak would no longer be the coach of the Titans at the end of the season. They waited until the day after Christmas to announce the decision.
That sad thing is that the Titans probably played better in my dream.
(1) Jake Locker. I wanted Jake Locker when he was a Junior at Washington. I have been behind this kid and think he has all the tools to be a great starting quarterback in this league. And nearly every game that he has played bad I have been behind him and telling people to be patient.
But I don't know how many more games of this nature that even I can defend from Locker. Now let me say right off the start that I understand the offensive line is in shambles. But even when he had time his passes were all over the place. There were passes underthrown, overthrown, thrown too far in front and thrown too far behind. That play where Taylor Thompson was WIDE OPEN running down the sideline and Locker had all kinds of time and underthrew the pass.... He was just flat out terrible today.
Something they might need to look into in the offseason is a better QB coach to come in and work with Locker on his mechanics. He was terribly sloppy today.
(2) One play that really bothered me and was against the Titans was the call of intentional grounding that backed them up against the end zone. That was one of the worst calls I have ever seen in my life. Chris Johnson nearly got a hand on the ball and they are gonna call it intentional grounding????
What really bothered me is how the Titans seemingly just accepted it and went on to the next play. Mike Munchak was seen briefly talking to the sideline ref about it and then walking away. Jake Locker was just smiling and shaking his head.
Let me tell you right now.... If I was the coach or even one of the players they would have pulled me off the field. I would have let every ref on that field know what happened for them to open their ****ing eyes and that I would be making sure to bring it up after the game and in every interview how that was the most blatant blown call I had ever seen come from a professional referee.
(3) They have been playing slightly better the last couple weeks. But this defense still needs a ton of work. There were several breakdowns in coverage. Guys got mixed up on several players and were covering the same gaps and just making mistakes. A prime example was the Greg Jennings touchdown where he was pretty much lined up on the goal with Jason McCourty lined up 8-10 yards away. All Aaron Rodgers had to do was snap the ball and throw it for a touchdown.
We seen today when Green Bay came out and spread the field that we have no depth in the secondary. Randall Cobb could have had 200 yards receiving against Sensabaugh if they wanted to keep throwing him the ball. The pass rush as well also took a step back today.
(4) I don't like Kenny Britt. He has amazing talent. But if he doesn't get the ball then he gives up on the play. That interception on the sideline once he seen it was short he pretty much gave up on the play. On the other interception he pretty much gave up on the play soon as he seen it was intercepted as well. You don't need that kind of player on your team.
(5) How about the running game. Chris Johnson had his standard 11 carries for 28 yards. I say standard because that is standard for Chris Johnson. Unless he breaks a 60+ yard run then he ends up with 20-40 yards. His style of running balances out a stat sheet at the end of the year but does little to help the offense when they are in 3rd-and-8 or 3rd-and-9 nearly every possession.
(6) The offensive playcalling. I know there isn't much you can do with a patchwork offensive line. The one drive that bothered me in particular was where Jamie Harper ripped off a couple of big runs up the middle. Its 3rd-and-1 and off comes big Jamie Harper and in comes Chris Johnson.... Chris Johnson runs head first into the line for no gain. They go for it on 4th-and-1 and throw a quick slant pass that goes off the fingertips.
(7) I didn't understand having a fullback Quinn Johnson in the game on so many plays. This goes back to what I was complaining about in the offseason when they drafted Kendall Wright and Taylor Thompson. How many guys are they working with on the offense?
I think it is an issue. For some reason they like rotating 12 wide receivers and tight ends in and out of the game. How are they expected to develop chemistry with the quarterback? How many reps do each of these guys get in practice? Do they practice all the formations, packages and plays? If not then isn't it easier for the defense to figure out the offense based on the players on the field (It is we have already talked about that this year).
Then it comes the issue when you have somebody like Jared Cook coming up for free agency. How much money are the Titans gonna pay a guy that was only in the lineup for 38% of the plays? Think about that when free agency rolls around and Jared Cook is wanting good money.
This was an embarrassment. The only positive thing I can say is that I had Aaron Rodgers and James Jones on my fantasy team and I won my league's championship because of it. But at some point, I kept expecting the Titans to show signs of life...
Jake Locker should maybe get one more season after this one to prove himself, but good god has he been terrible. Watching that game yesterday and you would have thought it was his first NFL game and he was playing the league's best defense. But regardless of the pressure he was getting or how bad the line was, the guy couldn't hit the broad side of a barn from 20 feet away. As for Chris Johnson, he should not an every down back and he should no longer get to carry the ball on first down. They either need to give Harper more carries or look to add a power back in the offseason.
Bottom line, the entire coaching staff AND general manager need to be fired. Everyone can blame Munchak for the losses and mismanagement, but Webster was the one who put this piece of **** team together, failed miserably to address any of the Titans' real holes in the draft and made no attempt to add anyone of value in free agency.
Wasn't this Webster's first year as GM too? I liked Reinfeldt, not sure why they made that change. I wouldn't mind seeing Webster canned. Yea, it's not just Munchak that needs to go -- it's pretty much everyone on his staff too.
And Locker has been terrible over the last few weeks. His first pass of the day to Taylor Thompson was embarrassing -- should have gone for a huge completion.
I was getting so mad listening to people taking up for this team on the radio. There were people calling in and saying if not for the injuries on the offensive line this team would be in the playoffs... More than one person actually was calling in and saying that on the radio.
I don't think those people realize that we still had 4 of 5 starters out there until week 10. And the one starter that we were without (Eugene Amano) was even in question to make the roster when he got hurt in the preseason. We didn't lose Hutchinson and Stewart until week 13. So that is no excuse because they were getting smacked with their starters on the line healthy.
Also those offensive linemen don't play defense.... And our defense is arguably the worst in the league.
Yea viewing this team as a playoff team without those injuries as delusional. What ticks me off is ON PAPER they should AT LEAST be 8-8! This roster should contend for a playoff spot but poor coaching has doomed them.
The way I see it, the entire team has had the life taken out of them and everybody has just quit playing. Injuries or not, the only time I felt true optimism this season was after the Steelers game.
-The O-line can't block
-Johnson doesn't run with any purpose
-Britt is a dumpster fire
-Cook is rarely in the games so he is a non factor
-The one thing I am kind of liking is Locker. He is uber young still and is getting an education on how not to play. He is getting beat to death in the pocket and by extension he is learning to extend plays. I had written off this season weeks ago so I do feel good that Locker is learning how "NOT" to play the game next season.
-I like the D-line... sorta. Wimbley is a pretty good pass rusher but gets doubled or chipped nearly every play. Morgan still hasn't reached his potential but has played better this year than previous.
- LB corps is young and inexperienced. There is talent there but it is raw and with nothing resembling a coach to help them improve, it saddens me to say it will stay that way... for now
- The secondary is pure trash for the most part. Say what you will about them but our best corner would be a nickel nearly anywhere else in the league. We are stuck with Griffin no matter what and the players we have at SS need a telethon or something... maybe the secondary is distracted by shiny objects on the sideline or something cause they sure arent playing defense.
- need to be fired... moving on.
Being the fan that I am, I see the potential at a lot of positions on this team but also being a realist tells me that Bud Adams isn't going to spend much money to change things. We will have a lot of new faces next year but he will nickel and dime us with a average to sub par coaching staff and little to no movement in free agency. I still don't understand last years draft and even though I do like Kendall Wright, that was pure and simple a wasted pick. I said it when they made it and the season has proved me correct. We had and still have needs in the same places as last year.
HOW I WOULD FIX IT
- First off, I would replace the majority of the coaching staff. I would offer Munch his old job back but thats about it.
- Free agency is a tool that this team hasn't used very effectively over the years and I would bring some people in. I don't know who and where but there would be changes.
- My first two picks in the draft would be players that would probably start from jump. Once again, I like Kendall Wright but he didn't make much difference this season and that is the very thing you need in the first couple of rounds. Best available player at need positions and then build depth. Rarely is life like Madden but the head in the sand approach this team has taken just isn't working. I nominate me for Titans GM.
Well the Pro Bowl selections paint an interesting picture as well. The Titans have nobody on the Pro Bowl team and likely won't even have any alternates except for possibly Michael Roos but even he is a long shot.
Quarterback - After this season we will have Jake Locker and Rusty Smith. They need to go another direction at backup. Its clear that Rusty Smith is never gonna be anything in this league.
Running Back - It looks like the Titans are gonna pick up the option on Chris Johnson this offseason unfortunately. That means we will be stuck with him for at least 2 more years at +$10 million a year.
Wide Receiver - Kendall Wright has had a nice season for a rookie. Kenny Britt is saying that his knee is hurting and he will have another surgery in the offseason.... This is what his 4th or 5th surgery on his knees? Not good. Nate Washington is solid but not getting any younger. DWilliams got better this season.
Tight End - The only way I expect Jared Cook back is if they use the franchise tag on him as he isn't happy in Tennessee. Craig Stevens is a good player but not a starting tight end. Taylor Thompson is still a big question mark.
Offensive Tackle - Michael Roos and David Stewart make this probably the strongest position on the team.
Offensive Guard - And this is the worst position on the team. We pretty much have no starting guards on this roster. Hell we have no backups that can step in and play on the roster.
Center - I think that Velasco could be the guy here if he had some support from the guard positions. If nothing else he adds depth to the interior line. But they could still improve in the offseason.
Defensive End - I don't know here to be honest. At times Derrick Morgan has showed signs of improvement and at others looked lost out there on the field. Wimbley has pretty much been taken out of the game as offenses can focus on stopping him on the line. Its a position where if they can get one solid guy and have them along with Morgan and Wimbley they would have a good rotation at the position.
Defensive Tackle - We need at least one solid starter added to this group and maybe even two its hard to tell. At least there is some depth at the position with several guys at least being capable in a rotation.
Linebacker - I think they are close at Linebacker. Zach Brown really came on at the end of the season. McCarthy is solid but the question there is he undersized at that position because he can't stay healthy. Id like to see them add one more solid player to this group.
Cornerback - I like Verner as the 2nd starting cornerback. I really don't like McCourty as the top corner. Regardless they need much better depth at this position as teams were able to go 3-4 wide and rip them up in the passing game.
Safety - Terrible this year. Michael Griffin got that big contract and then had the worst year of his career. They absolutely need a starter on the other side of him if nothing else.
IMO we have at least 7 or 8 positions where we don't have guys that I would consider to be a starter quality player.