Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Strong Connection between Drafting Offensive Linemen and Winning

Just look at the list which ranks the teams according to how many offensive linemen they have drafted since 2005. This years playoff teams are in bold.

Green Bay 15
    Pittsburgh 15
    Philadelphia 15
    New England 14
    Indianapolis 14
    Baltimore 14
    Carolina 13
    Buffalo 13
    San Francisco 12
    Houston 12
    Denver 12
    Atlanta 12
    San Diego Chargers 12
    St. Louis Rams 12
    Seattle Seahawks 11
    cincinnati 11
    Miami 11
    New Orleans 10
    Dallas 10
    Kansas City 10
    Oakland Raiders 10
    Chicago 9
    Washington 9
    Tennessee 9
    Arizona 9
    Minnesota 8
    Tampa Bay 8
    Detroit 8
    Cleveland 8
    New York Giants 7
    New York Jets 7
    Jacksonville 6
    Last edited by steelcityroller; 01-19-2013 at 09:06 PM.

vCash
    Wouldn't using some sort of chart that took into account the amount spent on them

AKA 1st overall OT isn't the same as the 7th rounder?

vCash
    Makes sense to me, because teams with good QB's draft offensive linemen to protect them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by steelcityroller View Post
    Just look at the list which ranks the teams according to how many offensive linemen they have drafted since 2005. This years playoff teams are in bold.

Green Bay 15
    Pittsburgh 15
    Philadelphia 15
    New England 14
    Indianapolis 14
    Baltimore 14
    Carolina 13
    Buffalo 13
    San Francisco 12
    Houston 12
    Denver 12
    Atlanta 12
    San Diego Chargers 12
    St. Louis Rams 12
    Seattle Seahawks 11
    cincinnati 11
    Miami 11
    New Orleans 10
    Dallas 10
    Kansas City 10
    Oakland Raiders 10
    Chicago 9
    Washington 9
    Tennessee 9
    Arizona 9
    Minnesota 8
    Tampa Bay 8
    Detroit 8
    Cleveland 8
    New York Giants 7
    New York Jets 7
    Jacksonville 6
    Kind of a dumb statistic. Giants only have 7 but won the SB last year, New Orleans is frequently a top team yet have drafted "few" linemen. Green bay has a very suspect O-Line despite being tied for most picks there. Colts also have a very bad offensive line despite picking so many linemen.

Also, many of the teams who drafted a lot of linemen, arent making use of those linemen picked...

-Green Bay: only 3/5 starters were actually draft picks
    -Philadelphia: only 2/5 starters were actually draft picks (based on "ideal" starting O-line if players werent injured)
    -Indianapolis: only 1/5 starters were draft picks
    -Baltimore: only 3/5 starts were draft picks

Where as other teams who are drafting fewer are starting a more draft picks

-Jets: 4/5
    -Cleveland: 5/5
    -Minnesota: 4/5

Its drafting quality linemen and/or acquiring quality FA that matters. Same goes with any other position.

Dumb thread
    PSD's c_reinert

vCash
    Lane Johnson please..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by c_reinert View Post
    Kind of a dumb statistic. Giants only have 7 but won the SB last year, New Orleans is frequently a top team yet have drafted "few" linemen. Green bay has a very suspect O-Line despite being tied for most picks there. Colts also have a very bad offensive line despite picking so many linemen.

Also, many of the teams who drafted a lot of linemen, arent making use of those linemen picked...

-Green Bay: only 3/5 starters were actually draft picks
    -Philadelphia: only 2/5 starters were actually draft picks (based on "ideal" starting O-line if players werent injured)
    -Indianapolis: only 1/5 starters were draft picks
    -Baltimore: only 3/5 starts were draft picks

Where as other teams who are drafting fewer are starting a more draft picks

-Jets: 4/5
    -Cleveland: 5/5
    -Minnesota: 4/5

Its drafting quality linemen and/or acquiring quality FA that matters. Same goes with any other position.

Dumb thread
    All 5 of GB's starters in the playoffs were draft picks or UDFAs.

4 of them were all drafted to start the season. Saturday was then replaced by UDFA EDS and Bulaga by UDFA Barclay. I don't think them being UDFAs should really change much from a 7th.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NormSizedMidget View Post
    All 5 of GB's starters in the playoffs were draft picks or UDFAs.

4 of them were all drafted to start the season. Saturday was then replaced by UDFA EDS and Bulaga by UDFA Barclay. I don't think them being UDFAs should really change much from a 7th.
    His argument is regarding teams that draft OL. UDFA's are not drafted players, it doesnt matter if you contribute their talent level to a 7th round pick, the point is, they are unrelated to the draft-based numbers he listed. Saturday was replaced, but he wasnt drafted by the Packers, was replaced by another player that wasnt drafted by the packers. Sure the Bulaga was replaced by a UDFA so I will give you that, but my point still stands... Andrew Datko? Derek Sherrod? Caleb Schlauderaff? Jamon Meredith? Breno Giacomini? Alan Babre? Daryn Colledge? Jason Spitz? Tony Moll? Junius Coston? Will Whitticker?

11 of those 15 OL they drafted didnt contribute to their success this season. As I said. Its about quality, not quantity.

The guy who created the thread is mentally deficient
    PSD's c_reinert

vCash
    His argument is regarding teams that draft OL. UDFA's are not drafted players, it doesnt matter if you contribute their talent level to a 7th round pick, the point is, they are unrelated to the draft-based numbers he listed. Saturday was replaced, but he wasnt drafted by the Packers, was replaced by another player that wasnt drafted by the packers. Sure the Bulaga was replaced by a UDFA so I will give you that, but my point still stands... Andrew Datko? Derek Sherrod? Caleb Schlauderaff? Jamon Meredith? Breno Giacomini? Alan Babre? Daryn Colledge? Jason Spitz? Tony Moll? Junius Coston? Will Whitticker?

11 of those 15 OL they drafted didnt contribute to their success this season. As I said. Its about quality, not quantity.

Packers = the entire NFL .... cool story bro

Atlanta drafted 4 of 5 starters
    Seattle drafted 3 of 5 starters
    Houston drafted 3 of 5 starters
    Denver drafted 4 of 5 starters
    San Francisco drafted 3 of 5 starters
    New England drafted 3 of 5 starters
    Baltimore drafted 3 of 5 starters

vCash
    BREAKING NEWS

I have found a strong correlation between drafting Super Bowl winning Quarterbacks and winning

We Want Winston

vCash

Oh don't give me that semantical ****ing garbage. A player brought in DRAFTED OR UNDRAFTED makes no difference. There's almost no different between a 7th or an UDFA. Either way you were kind of wrong about what you were saying anyways with regards to our players.

That being said, you go on and list players......okay cool. He never said every single one helped. You take your shots. The more shots you take, the more players you will find. It doesn't mean they all contribute