Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Who would you rather have back as a Giant next year?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tuck

8 44.44%
  • Osi

6 33.33%
  • Neither

4 22.22%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

It may be Tuck's last game as a Giant tomorrow

Something different always happens when Justin Tuck stands at the center of the Giants’ pregame huddle.
    It’s Giants tradition, this massive, emotional mosh pit in the end zone, just before the action gets started. The players gather around, and one of the team’s leaders takes over. Sometimes, Ahmad Bradshaw curses furiously. Other times, loudmouthed safety Antrel Rolle blathers on.

But when Tuck’s Alabama drawl commands the huddle, things are different. The Giants defensive captain says he’s never planned a speech, preferring to just “speak from the heart.” But it worked back on Feb. 5, when he spurred the Giants to the Lombardi Trophy. It works all the time, really.

“If Justin Tuck’s talking, everybody’s listening to him,” linebacker Spencer Paysinger says. “Everybody’s internalizing his speech.”

This Sunday afternoon, as the Giants get amped to face the Philadelphia Eagles in the finale of this regular season completely gone wrong, the Giants may internalize a Tuck speech for the last time.

The longtime leader of the Giants defense very well may leap into the middle of the final pregame mosh pit of his Giants career. An injury-ravaged Tuck has struggled to rush the passer this season, making just three sacks, his lowest total since 2006. And to a franchise that must fill serious defensive holes — and unsentimental GM Jerry Reese — Tuck may not be worth the $4.5 million that he’s due in 2013, the final year of his contract.

After eight years as a Giant, after playing a key role in two Super Bowl championship runs, Tuck could find himself cut after this nightmare season is over. And he knows it. A few years ago, he routinely scared opposing offenses; this year, his value has largely been tied to his ability to inspire his own defense.

“It could be (my last speech),” he says, sounding like a grizzled vet ready for the end. “I don’t allow myself to think about it. When it happens — and it will happen one day — I will move on.”

Frustration has been building for both player and management throughout this tumultuous 2012. He’s hardly the lone defender who has underperformed; sack artist Osi Umenyiora has just six QB takedowns, safety Kenny Phillips can’t even get on the field, and cornerback Corey Webster suddenly specializes in giving up long plays.

But Tuck’s decline has been the most precipitous. Much as he did last season, the 29-year-old has tried to gut out a series of injuries, looking to piece together one more late-season run.

This season, that run has not come. Beset by foot and shoulder issues, he hasn’t made a single play behind the line of scrimmage since Nov. 4. Defensive coordinator Perry Fewell has moved Tuck around, lining him up at defensive end, defensive tackle and even linebacker on rare occasions, but nothing has sparked a turnaround.

“Is he as effective as he was at the end of last year right now? No,” Fewell said. “Some days, he surprises me with what he does. And some days, it’s Justin.”

Tuck hasn’t been happy with his own play, either. Two weeks ago, the defensive end said bluntly that “I haven’t had a good year . . . Kiwi (Mathias Kiwanuka), Osi, none of us has had a good year compared to what we expect from ourselves.” His teammates have noticed a more sullen Tuck in the locker room, too.

“You can tell through his demeanor that he’s frustrated,” says defensive end Adrian Tracy, who occupies the locker next to Tuck at the Giants’ practice facility. “He’s not able to do what he’s capable of doing. Everybody knows what he’s capable of doing, and his body’s not allowing him to do it now.”

So the battered veteran has been left to do what he says he’s done since he was four years old, pushing his teammates a little bit harder. Giants linebacker Michael Boley can’t think of a single standout play from Tuck all season, but Boley says he’s inspired by watching him “persevere through a lot.”

And safety Stevie Brown recalls how Tuck pushed the Giants to shut down Robert Griffin III in the second half of a 17-16 loss in Washington on Dec. 3. After the Redskins scored 10 points against the Giants in the first half, Tuck “got the whole defense together” at halftime, Brown says, and exhorted them to “make plays.” Washington would score just one more touchdown in the second half.

“He’s still a presence on the team,” says Phillips. “He’s a leader. Whether it be getting a sack or giving a speech or just being out there, he means a lot to this organization.”

But somehow, the Giants will survive without Tuck, just as they thrived after Antonio Pierce was released in 2010. As Phillips says, the Giants have “more than one leader on this team.”

And as Tuck has realized this year, there’s far more to his life than the gridiron. He’s written a children’s book, and he continues to push for literacy. And on the Friday before the big game, his mind is far from football; he has to pick up his two-year-old son, Jayce.

“A lot of people get so wrapped up in the fact that I’m a football player,” he says. “I do so much more than football.”

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...icle-1.1229542

Quote Originally Posted by CousinsEvansDUO View Post
    Not going to read your posts or respond to them because judging by your sig you are a clueless nutjob. That girl is a 7/10 and you probably think shes a 10. Which means IRL you must be a 5/10 and sorry no offense bro but I don't talk to 5/10s or below, and by bro I mean never my bro.
    CousinsEvansDUO doesn't think i'm hot..

vCash
    I dont see Tuck getting cut. He will restructure. They wont get rid of him and Osi in the same offseason. I just can't see that
    “It's still a game and you'd rather win it than lose it.”

There is An Angel in CitiField- LETS GO METS!

Proud to be PSD's "The Kid"

New York Giants-2012 World Champions

SuperMann #10, Superman wears Eli Pajamas

vCash
    I used to love the guy but he's pathetic this year. Seeya.

vCash
    why keep guys who no longer can perform? Thanks for the 2 rings, but it's time to turn to a new chapter.

vCash
    Between free agents and guys making too much money, there's gonna be a lot of changes into next year.

Tuck, Webster, Diehl, Boley, Phillips, Osi.....gonna be interesting.

I'm gonna add a poll in here cause I'm curious what people think...

vCash
    One can only hope that it is, unless of course we somehow make the playoffs.

If everyone is internalizing what Justin Tuck says and does it sure does seem to explain a lot about our lackadaisicalness and defensive efforts and performances.

EDIT: I voted for Osi. But lets be real, he's not worth what he wants. We need to lock up guys like Cruz, Nicks, JPP, and Phillips (IDC about injury, worth the risk when you look at our defense performance with him vs without him, despite how good Stevie Brown has been)
    X's and O's Breakdown of each of Eli Manning's 27 Interceptions

http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...-Interceptions

vCash
    “Some days, he surprises me with what he does. And some days, it’s Justin.” - Fewell
    -I would love to know what the **** that means but it doesn't sound good either way

“He’s still a presence on the team,” - Phillips
    -Awesome. So is Michael Strahan and so is Colonel Gadson. They're not paid for their presence.

“You can tell through his demeanor that he’s frustrated,” - Tracy
    -Really?!?!?!??!???? I couldn't tell.......

“A lot of people get so wrapped up in the fact that I’m a football player,” he says. “I do so much more than football.” - Tuck
    -Thats awesome and for that I respect you as a person. I also respect you as a player for what you've done in your career. But seriously dude all that matters is the here and now and you still have a shot at the playoffs and you're talking about how you suck and theres more to life then football. Not the attitude needed with the season on the line right now.
    X's and O's Breakdown of each of Eli Manning's 27 Interceptions

http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...-Interceptions

vCash
    Agree with everything Sean said. Never thought I'd say I would rather see Osi come back than Tuck, but tuck will probably restructure and well trade Osi to move up in the draft at some point. Tuck doesn't have the heart anymore and it's as simple as that. Even when he's on the sideline he doesn't look pumped, more he looks almost as if he doesn't want to be there.

This has to be more than just injury. I'm really curious what happened to just make him shut down like this

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by .Sean. View Post
    “Some days, he surprises me with what he does. And some days, it’s Justin.” - Fewell
    -I would love to know what the **** that means but it doesn't sound good either way

“He’s still a presence on the team,” - Phillips
    -Awesome. So is Michael Strahan and so is Colonel Gadson. They're not paid for their presence.

“You can tell through his demeanor that he’s frustrated,” - Tracy
    -Really?!?!?!??!???? I couldn't tell.......

“A lot of people get so wrapped up in the fact that I’m a football player,” he says. “I do so much more than football.” - Tuck
    -Thats awesome and for that I respect you as a person. I also respect you as a player for what you've done in your career. But seriously dude all that matters is the here and now and you still have a shot at the playoffs and you're talking about how you suck and theres more to life then football. Not the attitude needed with the season on the line right now.
    Thank you, perfectly said

Va...heart between Giants Stadium and MSG
    vCash
    I think Tuck will be back. I doubt Osi will return. I rather have Tuck back.

NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS 18-1 Signature of a Champion!
    ELI MANNING.... 2X SB MVP....2X SB CHAMPION!

vCash
    I agree with Sean's comments as well. I have not voted yet, but if I did, I would vote for neither. It's time to move on. Osi is such a liability on the run game and against scrambling QB's that its just too much of a risk to have him out there. Last year in limited time he got 9 sacks, this year in a full year he has 6. Add to that the running game liability and its just not worth it.

Not much of an increase expected on the salary cap, so we will see what can be done this offseason.

vCash
    Tuck is not getting cut. He will restructure or retire.

vCash
    My god, Tuck is actually shown up to this game?!

vCash
    My offseason wish list ..

Draft a T,DE,CB,G (Any order, prefer the order given)
    Resign Kenny Phillips (So we can use the 3 SS set)
    Resign Cruz (obviously most reliable receiver)
    Resign Bennett
    Resign Lawrence Tynes
    Cut Justin Tuck (Or restructure)
    Cut Corey Webster (or restructure i think the cap hit might be steep)
    Restructure Antrel Rolle
    Pick a 3rd receiver, (after today I don't see how it's not Randle)
    Make Andre Brown the starter, David Wilson the backup, and Ahmad Bradshaw situational (As we saw today he's better when he gets a few carries a game, nothing more)
    Get Nicks Healthy for Christ Sakes

In a perfect world we'd have cap room or be able to make cap room for a tackle like Jake Long (Whose price should be down since he's been so so the last couple of years) or Cliff Avril, or a guy like Jason Jones

(the Giants haven't been big spenders the last few years so i doubt we do anything in free agency)

vCash
    by the way, Guess where we're going next season?? AT NEW ORLEANS!!!! YAY. Gonna go out on a limb and say we give up 40 points to them.

also home for the Rams.

road games -
    phi
    dall
    wsh
    New Orleans
    Chicagp
    Detroit
    San Diego
    KC

Home
    Phi
    Dal
    Wsh
    GB
    Minnesota
    Rams
    Denver
    KC

not the toughest schedule in the world, games like Denver and NO, I don't see us winning.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast