Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 81
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Windsor, Earth's Rectum (as reported by Stephen Colbert).
    Posts
    8,055
    vCash
    1500
    WTF is Greg Smith? lol

    PER is interesting. I find the guys at the top usually should be at the top, but after that the rankings get kind of wacky.

    The NBA PER rankings are a little different than what you got. They have: http://www.nba.com/statistics/player...xp=-1&splitDD=

    1. Durant
    2. LBJ
    3. David Lee
    4. Kobe
    5. Anderson-V
    6. Tim Duncan
    7. Harden
    8. Melo
    9. CP3
    10. Rondo

    PER is like every other stat, it has to be put in context. That, and I think there are different ways to do PER. The IBM award used to be award essentially to the guy who leaded the league in PER, though their equation was very different than the one for PER now. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_Award

    Every stat can be helpful and every stat can be misleading when not put in context.

    I mean, shouldn't it be obvious when a guy like Blatche is ahead of a guy like Anderson-V? Or Wade? Or Westbrook?


    It's like PPS. Chandler ranks very high, but for obvious reasons, he is not superior to Jordan, even if he has a higher PPS.

    Same with TS%, just because Chandler leads the league in TS% doesn't mean he is a better shooter than say Durant.

    Every stat has to be put in context.
    Last edited by JasonJohnHorn; 12-23-2012 at 06:54 PM.
    What the eye doesn't see and the mind doesn't know, doesn't exist.
    Follow me on Twitter and I'll follow back: @JasonJHorn

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    5,754
    vCash
    1500
    Damn, Andy V. Is a top 5 player.

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,787
    vCash
    6000
    Quote Originally Posted by JerseyPalahniuk View Post
    http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/new...newthread&f=41

    http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/statistics

    1. Lebron James
    2. Kevin Durant
    3. Carmelo Anthony
    4. Chris Paul
    5. Kobe Bryant
    6. Duncan
    7. Javale Mcgee
    8. Brook Lopez

    9. Nene
    10. Greg Smith
    11. Andray Blatche
    12. Dwayne Wade
    13. James Harden
    14. Blake Griffin
    15. Russel Westbrook

    The top 5 seem fairly accurate based on this season's performance so far. If you agree then how far off are the assessments for the bolded players? Nets trolls please don't post - this is not a post hyping them up but to discuss PER.
    Who the **** is Greg Smith, and why is "Duncan" the only player without his first name lol.


    #KNICKSTAPE #PLAYOFF2013

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    4,550
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonJohnHorn View Post
    WTF is Greg Smith? lol

    PER is interesting. I find the guys at the top usually should be at the top, but after that the rankings get kind of wacky.

    The NBA PER rankings are a little different than what you got. They have: http://www.nba.com/statistics/player...xp=-1&splitDD=

    1. Durant
    2. LBJ
    3. David Lee
    4. Kobe
    5. Anderson-V
    6. Tim Duncan
    7. Harden
    8. Melo
    9. CP3
    10. Rondo

    PER is like every other stat, it has to be put in context. That, and I think there are different ways to do PER. The IBM award used to be award essentially to the guy who leaded the league in PER, though their equation was very different than the one for PER now. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_Award

    Every stat can be helpful and every stat can be misleading when not put in context.

    I mean, shouldn't it be obvious when a guy like Blatche is ahead of a guy like Anderson-V? Or Wade? Or Westbrook?


    It's like PPS. Chandler ranks very high, but for obvious reasons, he is not superior to Jordan, even if he has a higher PPS.

    Same with TS%, just because Chandler leads the league in TS% doesn't mean he is a better shooter than say Durant.

    Every stat has to be put in context.

    Not PER, NBA's website uses a stat they call efficiency.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    There
    Posts
    8,229
    vCash
    1500
    It's a pretty good stat, if one knows how to apply it properly.


    Quote Originally Posted by rhymeratic View Post
    Shoot I'd even put up Glen Rice and Mitch Richmond in their prime at or slightly better than James. Even Glenn Robinson who is a forgotten beast.


    Quote Originally Posted by LoveMeOrHateMe View Post
    Kobe GOAT LOL
    ^Finally got one.

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    There
    Posts
    8,229
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by nickdymez View Post
    Damn, Andy V. Is a top 5 player.
    This is the equivalent to saying:

    Robery Horry>Kobe because 7>5.



    Quote Originally Posted by rhymeratic View Post
    Shoot I'd even put up Glen Rice and Mitch Richmond in their prime at or slightly better than James. Even Glenn Robinson who is a forgotten beast.


    Quote Originally Posted by LoveMeOrHateMe View Post
    Kobe GOAT LOL
    ^Finally got one.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    9,258
    vCash
    1500
    In the end only the best players are there it is early t\now.. btw the all time list is pretty damn accurate

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    9,818
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by nickdymez View Post
    Damn, Andy V. Is a top 5 player.
    Yup, PER is not an accurate stat at all. Here are the top 20 PER leaders of all time: lol according to this Wade is a better player than Magic, Kareem, and Kobe. That alone should tell you the worthlessness of this stat.

    NBA/ABA
    Rank Player PER
    1. Michael Jordan* 27.91
    2. LeBron James 27.29
    3. Shaquille O'Neal 26.43
    4. David Robinson* 26.18
    5. Wilt Chamberlain* 26.13
    6. Dwyane Wade 25.62
    7. Chris Paul 25.47
    8. Bob Pettit* 25.35
    9. Tim Duncan 24.76
    10. Neil Johnston* 24.69
    11. Charles Barkley* 24.63
    12. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar* 24.58
    13. Magic Johnson* 24.11
    14. Karl Malone* 23.90
    15. Dirk Nowitzki 23.63
    16. Hakeem Olajuwon* 23.59
    17. Julius Erving* 23.58
    18. Larry Bird* 23.50
    19. Kobe Bryant 23.48
    20. Kevin Garnett 23.25
    Quote Originally Posted by IKnowHoops View Post
    Drob is better than both (Referring to Magic and Bird), they just played on way better teams in there primes. Let Drob in his prime play with Worthy and Kareem. Or Dennis Johnson, Kevin Mchale, and Chief all in there prime.

    David one two rings with less talent when he was old and decrepit.

    Those guys have more Rings, David has more stats.

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    9,818
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by HouRealCoach View Post
    In the end only the best players are there it is early t\now.. btw the all time list is pretty damn accurate
    Quote Originally Posted by IKnowHoops View Post
    Drob is better than both (Referring to Magic and Bird), they just played on way better teams in there primes. Let Drob in his prime play with Worthy and Kareem. Or Dennis Johnson, Kevin Mchale, and Chief all in there prime.

    David one two rings with less talent when he was old and decrepit.

    Those guys have more Rings, David has more stats.

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    53,884
    vCash
    1503
    Quote Originally Posted by amos1er View Post
    Yup, PER is not an accurate stat at all. Here are the top 20 PER leaders of all time: lol according to this Wade is a better player than Magic, Kareem, and Kobe. That alone should tell you the worthlessness of this stat.

    NBA/ABA
    Rank Player PER
    1. Michael Jordan* 27.91
    2. LeBron James 27.29
    3. Shaquille O'Neal 26.43
    4. David Robinson* 26.18
    5. Wilt Chamberlain* 26.13
    6. Dwyane Wade 25.62
    7. Chris Paul 25.47
    8. Bob Pettit* 25.35
    9. Tim Duncan 24.76
    10. Neil Johnston* 24.69
    11. Charles Barkley* 24.63
    12. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar* 24.58
    13. Magic Johnson* 24.11
    14. Karl Malone* 23.90
    15. Dirk Nowitzki 23.63
    16. Hakeem Olajuwon* 23.59
    17. Julius Erving* 23.58
    18. Larry Bird* 23.50
    19. Kobe Bryant 23.48
    20. Kevin Garnett 23.25
    You're just mad kobe is so low

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    There
    Posts
    8,229
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
    You're just mad kobe is so low
    This.


    Quote Originally Posted by rhymeratic View Post
    Shoot I'd even put up Glen Rice and Mitch Richmond in their prime at or slightly better than James. Even Glenn Robinson who is a forgotten beast.


    Quote Originally Posted by LoveMeOrHateMe View Post
    Kobe GOAT LOL
    ^Finally got one.

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    9,818
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
    You're just mad kobe is so low
    Well, according to that list...

    David Robinson > Magic

    Barkley > Kareem

    Wade > Duncan

    Malone > Hakeem

    Dirk > Bird

    Lebron > Duncan

    Barkley > Hakeem

    Barkley > Magic

    Wade > Bird


    How many more inconsistencies do you want me to find?
    Quote Originally Posted by IKnowHoops View Post
    Drob is better than both (Referring to Magic and Bird), they just played on way better teams in there primes. Let Drob in his prime play with Worthy and Kareem. Or Dennis Johnson, Kevin Mchale, and Chief all in there prime.

    David one two rings with less talent when he was old and decrepit.

    Those guys have more Rings, David has more stats.

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    9,016
    vCash
    2970
    PER is just a suggestion of what a players production could be. i never really take it serious, i dont completely disregard it either

    RETURN OF THE MAC

    Rec: 25 Yards: 429 TD: 4

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    9,016
    vCash
    2970
    Quote Originally Posted by DoMeFavors View Post
    Why did you bold Lopez and Blatche like they arent supposed to be there? what the hell....
    you have to be kidding me? you cant honestly say that ANDRE BLATCHE was expected be a top PER player

    RETURN OF THE MAC

    Rec: 25 Yards: 429 TD: 4

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    11,279
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by 2-ONE-5 View Post
    you have to be kidding me? you cant honestly say that ANDRE BLATCHE was expected be a top PER player
    wtf does EXPECTED have to do with it? When he has played he has been a very damn good. Deron Williams was expected to be a top-10 player this season. Obviously things change!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •