Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vCash
    Isn't there a provision where if "you can't sign or are not able to sign the player you drafted, you pick in the same position the following year and the player can go back into the draft 2 yrs later"?
    If so, and the draft is light , why can't we waste the allocated money for picks on international free agents,and scap the picks we don't like or don't really want. Of course we could just draft high school kids with the size, speed, athletism and give ourselves a couple of extra years to develop them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Wiskers View Post
    Isn't there a provision where if "you can't sign or are not able to sign the player you drafted, you pick in the same position the following year and the player can go back into the draft 2 yrs later"?
    If so, and the draft is light , why can't we waste the allocated money for picks on international free agents,and scap the picks we don't like or don't really want. Of course we could just draft high school kids with the size, speed, athletism and give ourselves a couple of extra years to develop them.
    I think that works for the first time around. If it happens again the following year (the player you take with that same pick doesn't sign), then you are fined or something. It's just better to draft our talent and develop it.

vCash
    With the new draft rules good talent can slip to late in the first round (as we saw with Hensley). Having three picks in the first round will allow us to draft a guy who we'll need to go way overslot on to sign and then draft one or two college seniors and use that money to sign the overslot. Also, thin draft is definitely a relative term. The yankees drafted players really late last year with high upside. I'm talking 30+ round. Nik Turley was a 50th round pick. Point is even in a thin draft the 30th-35th overall pick in the draft is going to have some high upside talent. Also, these drafts always look thinner at this time of year, before 100 high school seniors come out of nowhere to have monster seasons and throw 90+ and 50 college kids do the same.

Derek Jeter is a lucky man.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Wiskers View Post
    This is the route I'd prefer.

vCash
    mmmm........sandwich
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Joemoes View Post
    Imagine if teams could sell a first round pick.
    There is a pool of sandwich 1st round picks that are tradeable.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...s_mlb&c_id=mlb
    John Maeda@johnmaeda

Knowing the overall *shape* of an idea, argument, situation requires as many facts, models, opinions as you can take/make to see a whole.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jd25213 View Post
    Not my fault our front office can't draft well.
    With the Rays winning since 2008 how many of their drafts have been spectacular?

Losing will help any organization get untapped talent. Then development of those draft picks must bear some fruit eventually for a team to get credit for good drafts. 2-3 years of last place teams in NY might be better then to spend a ton on free agents just to lose in the short series games in Oct. This team must decide on which direction they are heading....after 2013 I'd pull the plug and start focusing on building the farm for 2-3 years....
    Nick

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rrzubnyy View Post
    With the Rays winning since 2008 how many of their drafts have been spectacular?

Losing will help any organization get untapped talent. Then development of those draft picks must bear some fruit eventually for a team to get credit for good drafts. 2-3 years of last place teams in NY might be better then to spend a ton on free agents just to lose in the short series games in Oct. This team must decide on which direction they are heading....after 2013 I'd pull the plug and start focusing on building the farm for 2-3 years....
    last place isn't a option for the new york yankees. unfortunately.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by netsgiantsyanks View Post
    last place isn't a option for the new york yankees. unfortunately.
    I'm okay with their unwillingness to check out for a year (for the amount the fans spend on tickets every team should make an effort to put a competitive team on the field), but it baffles me how an organization as well-respected and time-honored as the New York Yankees has yet to figure out a formula for drafting. It's almost comical how historically bad our picks are.

I don't think we need a pick in the top five to find young talent, but we do need to admit that A) we need to reevaulate our scouting system and B) the only way we'll find out if we have value in our farm is if we start throwing them into sink or swim circumstances. Leaving them in AAA until they're 28 obviously stunts their growth.

We've done a good job consistently putting good teams out there, but what I don't get is why they can't commit themselves to one project per year. If you have four good rotation pitchers, try a rookie for the fifth. If you have eight solid position players, call someone up for the ninth (especially if it's a position we have a need for). Their affinity for minimally successful guys with major league experience over young guys with potential astounds me. Look how much success teams like Los Angeles, Boston, and Tampa have had putting young players out there.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12