Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Rank the draft mistakes

I've read a couple threads recently asking if Greg Oden over Kevin Durant is the second worst draft selection in NBA history. There's an ESPN documentary out on Sam Bowie. I was thinking this would be a fun thread, especially because the Blazers made the right draft choice this year, and there's hope for this team now.
    In my opinion, Oden over Durant wasn't even the Blazers' second worst selection ever, especially if you consider that Durant doesn't yet have a single MVP award or championship to his name.
    Here are my rankings:

1. Drafting Sam Bowie over Michael Jordan
    2. Drafting Wally Walker over Robert Parrish
    3. Dafting LaRue Martin over Bob McAdoo or Julius Erving
    4. Drafting Greg Oden over Kevin Durant
    5. Drafting Barry Parkhill over George McGinnis

That list doesn't count Portland drafting Moses Malone then trading him for a draft pick that would turn into Rick Robey. It also doesn't count Portland trading the third down to the sixth pick, missing out on Chris Paul, Deron Williams and Andrew Bynum and instead taking Martell Webster.

vCash
    We would not have taken Jordan anyways. It was stated if we did not take Bowie it would have been Barkley.

vCash
    I'm afraid my age doesn't take me quite back that far and I don't want to dwell on our past mistakes. Every team has a bunch of them for sure. I don't remember the actually draft day time for Jordan and nothing before. However if you look at every draft and then rank the players behind our picks you will find that we made mistakes each draft.

Even this year who's to say that Leonard and Barton will pan out. If they don't and someone better is behind them then we made a mistake (or just unlucky).

vCash
    why does this type of thread show up every 6 months?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by A.Mopp View Post
    why does this type of thread show up every 6 months?
    Who cares. Don't want to talk about it then no one is making anyone post. I don't think any need for it either. I said my peice and don't intend to post again. Every team passes on big time players every year, it is not just us.

If he wants to make threads like this then fine, no problem. If he wants bunch of threads with 5 posts that is his right and I say have fun. Not like any of us own this forum, long as not starting a fight let um be.

vCash
    its the same thing over and over. go dig up an old one

and it doesnt add to the quality. which is what the site is after

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by A.Mopp View Post
    its the same thing over and over. go dig up an old one

and it doesnt add to the quality. which is what the site is after
    The site is after quality - that's not a naive statement, considering you can scan down the entire Blazers forum page and see absolutely zero creativity in the threads.
    I created this post because I've read people trying to say that Oden was the second-worst draft choice in the history of the NBA, so yeah; I looked up some old draft choices. I also wrote it because of the Bowie documentary that just came out on ESPN.
    That's two contemporary reasons for creating this kind of post, and I don't think many people bring up some of the Blazers' draft choices I have. There's nothing wrong with a historical thread.

vCash
    Not all of these players would have been the same if on Portland, then again some of them might have been greater.

I mean Jordon was great, but look at the difference between the Cav's LeBron, and Miami's LeBron. Same all star but one team gets the Title while the other doesn't.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mrblisterdundee View Post
    The site is after quality - that's not a naive statement, considering you can scan down the entire Blazers forum page and see absolutely zero creativity in the threads.
    I created this post because I've read people trying to say that Oden was the second-worst draft choice in the history of the NBA, so yeah; I looked up some old draft choices. I also wrote it because of the Bowie documentary that just came out on ESPN.
    That's two contemporary reasons for creating this kind of post, and I don't think many people bring up some of the Blazers' draft choices I have. There's nothing wrong with a historical thread.
    to say oden was the second worse draft pick ever is completely idiotic. and if you cant figure out why, dont ever start threads like this. .. so yeah.

vCash
    Imo the Bowie thing was not as terrible as the Larue thing.

Waht was terrible was not trading Drexler for The first Pick, wich could have been done if blazers F.O pressed a bit.
    ]

vCash
    Can we drop this draft busts thing already? :P

IMO yes we made some bad picks on high picks (which of course haunt you the longest), but look back at the awesome steals we made... We raped the draft of Roy & Aldridge, 2 best players in the draft with 3rd and 6th pick, we got a steal with Lillard, Batum...
    save the drama for your mama.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tblaze View Post
    Can we drop this draft busts thing already? :P

IMO yes we made some bad picks on high picks (which of course haunt you the longest), but look back at the awesome steals we made... We raped the draft of Roy & Aldridge, 2 best players in the draft with 3rd and 6th pick, we got a steal with Lillard, Batum...
    This exactly, we've been raped but we've done some good ol' rapin' ourselves. And Bowie over Jordan and Oden over Durant had good intentions. A dominant Center is much more valuable then a valuable SF, just ask Shaquille O'Neal, Kareem, Wilt, Ewing, Hakeem... What if Oden wouldn't of had bad knees? He for sure would of been a All Star lock every season. Better than Bynum, Howard, Gortat...Perkins.