Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    I don't know for sure and haven't heard any reports about that. But I think its a safe assumption that someone who goes into a school and shoots 26 people is mentally ill. Although I will say he showed some signs of sanity in taking himself out afterwards.
    The problem is, we can say this about virtually any kind of heinous crime. Should Charles Manson be in a hospital instead of a prison? Dahmer? Bundy? Gacy? Just because they did something that we would consider awful, and never even think of doing ourselves, doesn't mean they were actually mentally ill.
    Visit my Blog.

"Glad the GOP finally came out with an Obamacare alternative. Can't wait to see their alternative to the Iraq War." - @LOLGOP

vCash
    Hid brother said he had Asperger's and some described him as being a sociopath. All those people listed were mentally ill but still capable of understanding the law. Send them to prison at the very least.
    Bachelors III . . . In the Inn. . . Lanas Garage 4/18/75 . . . lpswitch with Snake, Hards and Mendy . . .B.D.W.B. . . Ambition: I want Dooleys Job . . . Saturday Night Live . . . Bathroom Brawls . . . Living at Snakes . . . WHERE IS MUSKY. - John Tortorella

Dmac is offline Moderator Cullen Bohannon
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by natepro View Post
    Has this guy actually been found to be mentally ill, or are we just casually disparaging the mentally ill because it's easy?
    Supposedly his mom was planning on having him committed to a psychiatric facility which they think played a part in it.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_2329508.html

There is also plans to study his DNA:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_2370556.html
    Last edited by Dmac; 12-27-2012 at 11:14 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by natepro View Post
    The problem is, we can say this about virtually any kind of heinous crime. Should Charles Manson be in a hospital instead of a prison? Dahmer? Bundy? Gacy? Just because they did something that we would consider awful, and never even think of doing ourselves, doesn't mean they were actually mentally ill.
    I would probably classify their crimes as similar circumstances to the Newtown shooter. Not all crimes are signs of mental illness. Someone who steals money is demonstrating a clear, logical train of thought. Whereas a guy who shoots up a school is not demonstrating any ability to think logically.
    Member of the Owlluminati!

vCash
    I would probably classify their crimes as similar circumstances to the Newtown shooter. Not all crimes are signs of mental illness. Someone who steals money is demonstrating a clear, logical train of thought. Whereas a guy who shoots up a school is not demonstrating any ability to think logically.
    Ehhh, not necessarily.

Kleptomaniacs steal money in most cases. Do they not suffer from a mental disturbance?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckwheat View Post
    Ehhh, not necessarily.

Kleptomaniacs steal money in most cases. Do they not suffer from a mental disturbance?
    I don't know the statistics but I would be willing to wager that most thefts can demonstrate the motive and the logical sense between the theft and why it happened. I don't know exactly the term that gets used but the idea that someone was able to put the notion of how the crime benefits them and be of a logical mind to put the plan together.
    Member of the Owlluminati!

vCash
    I don't know the statistics but I would be willing to wager that most thefts can demonstrate the motive and the logical sense between the theft and why it happened. I don't know exactly the term that gets used but the idea that someone was able to put the notion of how the crime benefits them and be of a logical mind to put the plan together.
    Most, you're likely right.

And these killings have often been put together in a very careful, apparently planned out fashion.. especially the Aurora massacre six months ago. Is it safe to say this guy isn't mentally ill because of his ability to plan something out so articulately?

vCash
    Who said all crimes? I specifically said "heinous crimes."

Let's go ahead and get Godwin's Law involved here: Was Hitler mentally ill? Or Bin Laden? Or McVeigh?

Jumping straight to mental illness, as has been done here (an obvious fact, whether or not it ends up being true), is an easy answer for us (I can't comprehend what would make someone do something like this, he must be crazy!), and a comforting answer for us (I could never imagine doing something like this, he must be crazy!), but it does a disservice when it comes to stopping these in the future, and it does a disservice to millions of people actually suffering from mental illnesses that deal every day with the absurd stigmata placed on those illnesses.

You said it yourself, you don't know for sure, and yet you are perfectly willing, with no hesitation, to say that he was mentally ill. That's not a good thing.
    Visit my Blog.

"Glad the GOP finally came out with an Obamacare alternative. Can't wait to see their alternative to the Iraq War." - @LOLGOP

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FOBolous View Post
    http://news.yahoo.com/video-games-sh...141638797.html

My thing is...violent video games and movies exists all over the developed world. why doesn't any other developed countries have the same problems with mass shootings as we do?
    Many of them have stricter gun laws.

"Stats are for losers. The final score is for winners." - Bill Belichick

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 69centers View Post
    Many of them have stricter gun laws.
    Every single other western or 'civilized' country has stricter gun laws than the US. Hell, much of the third world has stricter laws too.

edit - this quote from Lane Crothers, Prof. of Politics and Government at Illinois State Univ. sums the NRA up perfectly in just a few words. The fear of crime and government and the self defense fantasies to which he refers has been amply demonstrated by many posters in all the gun related topics here.

Sometimes it helps to remember …

that the NRA is basically a lobbyist for the gun industry, and uses fear of crime and the government in combination with self-defense fantasies (from crime and the government) to encourage more people to buy more guns, thereby advancing the gun industry’s interests.
    Last edited by AmsterNat; 12-29-2012 at 01:15 PM. Reason: Added quote

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456