Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    vCash
    I'm an idiot on anything as complex as these horrible shootings but this list shows a lot of anti-depressant use by the shooters. http://ssristories.com/index.php?p=school

I have no idea if it's credible or not but it seems to make sense when you consider the rate of these prescriptions in the US compared to the ROW.

Also, if anti-depressants contribute, I doubt they are the only cause. I bet Gun video games and movies are more heavily consumed and we know guns are more readily available, that has to increase the odds compared to other cultures.

How many of the parents are horrible people that should not be responsible for the development of a person?
    Quote Originally Posted by effen5 View Post
    2 years ago, this team was worth 650 million dollars. Derrick Rose has played ten games since and now this team is worth a billion dollars. Clearly, it's Tom Thibodeu.

vCash
    Mortal Kombat has been getting ***** forever, too bad I've never seen someone get killed from a dude shooting a snake rope from his hand.
    Mike P. ~~

Banks - The Boxer sleeps and waits for a championship...

vCash
    I first read this as "NBA blames shooting on video games." Now it all makes more sense.

Slap Hands!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by americaspasttim View Post
    For real man? C'mon...
    All of my friends from middle/high school played. There were about 30 of us that I played it with and none of them did anything like this because it isn't video games that make killers, it isn't guns that make killers...its killers that make killers. The person who killed someone is the one who bears the blame. There are outside players who contribute to the carnage but they aren't video games. In the Newtown incident, they are people like the mother who didn't do a good enough job of protecting the guns from her son who clearly had mental stability issues. They are people like the lawmakers who didn't pass laws that if you have someone with a mental health issue (that is diagnosed or just that you know about) you must take more care in securing your guns and other weapons. Those are the individuals not pixels that deserve some level of blame.
    Member of the Owlluminati!

vCash
    Its just probability.

Videogames have become more socially acceptable than ever before. Millions play them, so of course they will be linked to people that do horrible things. Just because the killer(theoretically) used Tide detergent or watched The Walking Dead doesn't mean they are connected to their actions. I've said this alot but correlation doesn't equal causation....

Videogames are also new and scary to some people. Just like TV was, just like books were, and we go down the line.....People often demonize what they cannot understand. It's human nature.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087:24863902
    For real man? C'mon...
    All of my friends from middle/high school played. There were about 30 of us that I played it with and none of them did anything like this because it isn't video games that make killers, it isn't guns that make killers...its killers that make killers. The person who killed someone is the one who bears the blame. There are outside players who contribute to the carnage but they aren't video games. In the Newtown incident, they are people like the mother who didn't do a good enough job of protecting the guns from her son who clearly had mental stability issues. They are people like the lawmakers who didn't pass laws that if you have someone with a mental health issue (that is diagnosed or just that you know about) you must take more care in securing your guns and other weapons. Those are the individuals not pixels that deserve some level of blame.
    Is that even remotely close to what I ****ing said?

vCash
    Is that even remotely close to what I ****ing said?
    I don't think you were saying or implying a direct link but when people start mentioning it as a possible cause it is worrisome to me. I don't think playing an FPS has much of any impact on children you seemed to indicate you think it might.

APT, while I don't know you, I think I know you well enough to say you wouldn't pin this shooting on video games but on the other hand, its a dangerous premise to not question that video games and not the shooter might be almost universally responsible for this atrocity.

If I misinterpreted your post to anything you didn't intend I apologize but that is what I got from it.
    Member of the Owlluminati!

vCash
    yes blame video games for every shooting before the 90s as well

vCash
    can we blame the NRA for video games ?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    I don't think you were saying or implying a direct link but when people start mentioning it as a possible cause it is worrisome to me. I don't think playing an FPS has much of any impact on children you seemed to indicate you think it might.

APT, while I don't know you, I think I know you well enough to say you wouldn't pin this shooting on video games but on the other hand, its a dangerous premise to not question that video games and not the shooter might be almost universally responsible for this atrocity.

If I misinterpreted your post to anything you didn't intend I apologize but that is what I got from it.
    Yeah, never would I blame someone's upbringing, or if they watch inordinate amounts of media violence, or if they listen to death metal, or whatever the latest and greatest is. People make their own choices, thats what it comes down to, and they are the ones responsible for their actions.

My point simply was is it possible that children playing violent video games has at least some sort of negative impact on them. There seems to be evidence to back this up. Here is the full article...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FOBolous View Post
    http://news.yahoo.com/video-games-sh...141638797.html

My thing is...violent video games and movies exists all over the developed world. why doesn't any other developed countries have the same problems with mass shootings as we do?
    Other countries do have mass shootings and killings. Anders Breivak, Norway killed over 60 people and wounded more than 100 at a resort island in 2011. In 2001 a man killed 11 seven/eight-year olds by stabbing them. There was a rampage at a German school a little ways ack. Im sure its much easier to forget about the ones outside the US.

Maybe we do have more, but we also have a larger population and thus more incidents. I dont know.

In my mind there have to be 2 to 3 ingredients

01. Anger based on a sense of victimization, real or imagined
    02. Access to guns, or knives, or bombs ... any combination of lethal weapons
    03. Media coverage (optional). Potential assasins see what others do and start t o fantacize about doing the same.

Video games? Eh. Maybe they could even be an outlet for some potential killers. I dont know.
    Last edited by Dugmet; 12-26-2012 at 05:19 PM.
    "The 90 wins is about challenge. It's about changing the conversation. It's about framing questions for ourselves as to how we get there. So I stand by the notion that we need to get better, and in doing so we need to set concrete goals for ourselves so that we have sort of specific conversations among ourselves about how we're going to get there." -- Mr. Alderson

vCash
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals

vCash
    why can't we just blame the ****ed up little prick that did it? why does there always have to be something bigger responsible?
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals

vCash
    heres the order blame should go- blame him, blame the parents, blame global warming, blame the housewives of beverly hills.

vCash

I make Bill Moyers spot on! The NRA should STFU about pointing fingers of blame anywhere else. Of the many evil, extreme right wing organizations in the US, the NRA is by far the most evil, dangerous, powerful and appalling. Their only interests are to further the sales and increase the profits of merchants of death and destruction, while at the same time 'buying' politicians to push their ultra conservative agenda.

The NRA bears a major responsibility for fostering, creating, and maintaining over many decades today's unbelievably ****ed up state of the country as far as weapons of mass death are concerned, what I like to call macho kill toys.

The fact that politicians have been totally complicit in the NRA's rise to power and influence is a national disgrace on a par with the current non-functioning Congress. What's the common factor? Extreme loony, ultra right wing, conservative Teabaggers, whose agenda is to try and drag the country backwards, back to a time when the people who run the NRA - white, middle aged and old white men - also ran everything else. They still can't get over their loss of complete power and control over the country.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast