Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 32

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    3,178
    vCash
    1500

    Why didn't the Lakers tap in on this season's glut of young point guards?

    I always come back to wondering why the Lakers didn't grab Goran Dragic, Kyle Lowry or Jeremy Lin for this season. They could have realistically had any of the three, who would have been overjoyed at the thought of playing in Los Angeles.
    Why didn't Los Angeles go after one of these talented, younger point guards? Why hinge you dreams on Steve Nash making your team Mike D'Antoni's wet dream?
    All three would have been at least 12 years younger than Nash, more than good enough to run the point, better scorers, better on defense and at the perfect point in their careers to fit in with the transition to Dwight Howard.
    The only advantage Nash has is he's a better and more prolific passer, and that's offset somewhat by how all these younger point guards - of which there are more in the league running teams right now than there have been in a while - can smoke him defensively. The younger guards would probably increase their assists, but they'll always be better than Nash at scoring and playing defense.
    Despite their youth, Dragic, Lowry and Lin, I think, would have been good enough to help the Lakers win a championship this and next season, too, not wasting the time that Kobe Bryant has left.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    26,775
    vCash
    1500
    Money, availability, the other team didn't want what we have, kobe wouldn't respect a younger pg.

    and who says Mitch didnt' go after 'em, we didnt' see Nash coming.

    GM's make calls all the time and you ask "is this guy available" they say "what u got" and you say "this this this" they say "we dont like any of that, bye" and your'e done

    oh and btw, the lakers inquired about lowry, a sign and trade for lin (and wanted to take him off waivers, knicks beat us), inquired about dragic, among other players.

    This is how we do it! I still believe



  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    537
    vCash
    1500
    nash was the best option

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    3,178
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Tymathee View Post
    Money, availability, the other team didn't want what we have, kobe wouldn't respect a younger pg.

    and who says Mitch didnt' go after 'em, we didnt' see Nash coming.

    GM's make calls all the time and you ask "is this guy available" they say "what u got" and you say "this this this" they say "we dont like any of that, bye" and your'e done

    oh and btw, the lakers inquired about lowry, a sign and trade for lin (and wanted to take him off waivers, knicks beat us), inquired about dragic, among other players.
    First off, it doesn't take a Laker fan to know that what Kobe respects is talent, and any of those three point guards are more than talented enough - and actually healthy and more than a decade younger than Nash.
    Lin and Dragic were both free agents, so the whole "availability" argument goes out the window. If the Lakers wanted them, they could have spent the money on them.
    All the responses to this post seem like Laker Nation's in a collective state of denial.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    6,254
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by mrblisterdundee View Post
    First off, it doesn't take a Laker fan to know that what Kobe respects is talent, and any of those three point guards are more than talented enough - and actually healthy and more than a decade younger than Nash.
    Lin and Dragic were both free agents, so the whole "availability" argument goes out the window. If the Lakers wanted them, they could have spent the money on them.
    All the responses to this post seem like Laker Nation's in a collective state of denial.
    Based on these statements, it is apparent you do not know how free agency in the NBA works ...

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,386
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by mrblisterdundee View Post
    First off, it doesn't take a Laker fan to know that what Kobe respects is talent, and any of those three point guards are more than talented enough - and actually healthy and more than a decade younger than Nash.
    Lin and Dragic were both free agents, so the whole "availability" argument goes out the window. If the Lakers wanted them, they could have spent the money on them.
    All the responses to this post seem like Laker Nation's in a collective state of denial.
    Agreed..

    Bro, do not worry about idiot people in this forum. I would say for every 10 Lakers Fans in this Forum there are probably 4-5 that are reasonable that give basketball knowledge responses. Most will just place a faceplam and not respond..Most of those guys are bandwagon fans that do not have much basketball knowledge.

    I think you are absolutely correct in regards to theses pg's. Lowry would be my 1st pick then Dragic. And Lin would be the 3rd choice but would be a hell of a back up pg because he is really a wild card type pg. Either he is going to have some really good games or not show up.

    The Lakers may have been able to get one of those guys if they chose to Amnesty Steve Blake which I am not sure why they did not do that. They are not going ot Amnesty Kobe, Pau or Artest so he was really the best choice to let go.

    That may have opened some cap space to sign one of those guys but realistically they would have had to do it through a trade. I like the fact we have Nash but my ideas since 2011 was to get him as the starter and either Lowry or Dragic as the back up. That would have made the Lakers a significantly better team imo.

    I still have hope that the Lakers will work on a three team trade including Pau to either Toronto or Minnesota to get Either Calderon, Lowry, Barea, Derek williams and Pekovic.

    Like I said before I would Love to have Pekovic as he has the most upside and will be quietly be one of the top 4-5's in the league. Unfortunately Dantoni will not showcase this guy since he runs a different offensive scheme. So Pekovic would need to go to another team and hopefully the Lakers get another solid piece in return. Lets stay tuned and by the end of January the Lakers should make a decision on Pau.
    Last edited by Swift Game; 12-25-2012 at 03:46 PM.
    [/IMG]

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Death Valley
    Posts
    4,554
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Swift Game View Post
    Agreed..

    Bro, do not worry about idiot people in this forum. I would say for every 10 Lakers Fans in this Forum there are probably 4-5 that are reasonable that give basketball knowledge responses. Most will just place a faceplam and not respond..Most of those guys are bandwagon fans that do not have much basketball knowledge.

    I think you are absolutely correct in regards to theses pg's. Lowry would be my 1st pick then Dragic. And Lin would be the 3rd choice but would be a hell of a back up pg because he is really a wild card type pg. Either he is going to have some really good games or not show up.

    The Lakers may have been able to get one of those guys if they chose to Amnesty Steve Blake which I am not sure why they did not do that. They are not going ot Amnesty Kobe, Pau or Artest so he was really the best choice to let go.

    That may have opened some cap space to sign one of those guys but realistically they would have had to do it through a trade. I like the fact we have Nash but my ideas since 2011 was to get him as the starter and either Lowry or Dragic as the back up. That would have made the Lakers a significantly better team imo.

    I still have hope that the Lakers will work on a three team trade including Pau to either Toronto or Minnesota to get Either Calderon, Lowry, Barea, Derek williams and Pekovic.

    Like I said before I would Love to have Pekovic as he has the most upside and will be quietly be one of the top 4-5's in the league. Unfortunately Dantoni will not showcase this guy since he runs a different offensive scheme. So Pekovic would need to go to another team and hopefully the Lakers get another solid piece in return. Lets stay tuned and by the end of January the Lakers should make a decision on Pau.

    Because it wasn't worth it to Amnesty Blake because it wouldn't save them that much money.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    2,241
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Swift Game View Post
    Agreed..

    Bro, do not worry about idiot people in this forum. I would say for every 10 Lakers Fans in this Forum there are probably 4-5 that are reasonable that give basketball knowledge responses. Most will just place a faceplam and not respond..Most of those guys are bandwagon fans that do not have much basketball knowledge.

    I think you are absolutely correct in regards to theses pg's. Lowry would be my 1st pick then Dragic. And Lin would be the 3rd choice but would be a hell of a back up pg because he is really a wild card type pg. Either he is going to have some really good games or not show up.

    The Lakers may have been able to get one of those guys if they chose to Amnesty Steve Blake which I am not sure why they did not do that. They are not going ot Amnesty Kobe, Pau or Artest so he was really the best choice to let go.

    That may have opened some cap space to sign one of those guys but realistically they would have had to do it through a trade. I like the fact we have Nash but my ideas since 2011 was to get him as the starter and either Lowry or Dragic as the back up. That would have made the Lakers a significantly better team imo.

    I still have hope that the Lakers will work on a three team trade including Pau to either Toronto or Minnesota to get Either Calderon, Lowry, Barea, Derek williams and Pekovic.

    Like I said before I would Love to have Pekovic as he has the most upside and will be quietly be one of the top 4-5's in the league. Unfortunately Dantoni will not showcase this guy since he runs a different offensive scheme. So Pekovic would need to go to another team and hopefully the Lakers get another solid piece in return. Lets stay tuned and by the end of January the Lakers should make a decision on Pau.
    I agree that those guys would be great, but as backups. Nash is much better than any of the pgs who are being mentioned.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,386
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Moves03 View Post
    I agree that those guys would be great, but as backups. Nash is much better than any of the pgs who are being mentioned.
    Well that is what I am saying. Any of those three guys Lowry, Dragic or Lin in that order would be a great back up pg to Nash for the next 2-3 years as that will extend his career. Nash needs to stay at about 30 minutes a game. One of these back ups would occupy 20-26 minutes or so if we had one of them.
    [/IMG]

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    3,473
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by mrblisterdundee View Post
    First off, it doesn't take a Laker fan to know that what Kobe respects is talent, and any of those three point guards are more than talented enough - and actually healthy and more than a decade younger than Nash.
    Lin and Dragic were both free agents, so the whole "availability" argument goes out the window. If the Lakers wanted them, they could have spent the money on them.
    All the responses to this post seem like Laker Nation's in a collective state of denial.
    Denial? Nothing has happened yet. The Lakers are making an all in push for the next couple of years and trying to keep Howard in the process. What's to understand. Nash is your best bet for that period. Not hard to understand. Nash was an all-star last year and none of the players mentioned were. And he has way more veteran experience and leadership qualities.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Racine, WI
    Posts
    2,580
    vCash
    1500
    No cap space, No Tradeable commodities and No useable draft picks.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    3,473
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by mrblisterdundee View Post
    I always come back to wondering why the Lakers didn't grab Goran Dragic, Kyle Lowry or Jeremy Lin for this season. They could have realistically had any of the three, who would have been overjoyed at the thought of playing in Los Angeles.
    Why didn't Los Angeles go after one of these talented, younger point guards? Why hinge you dreams on Steve Nash making your team Mike D'Antoni's wet dream?
    All three would have been at least 12 years younger than Nash, more than good enough to run the point, better scorers, better on defense and at the perfect point in their careers to fit in with the transition to Dwight Howard.
    The only advantage Nash has is he's a better and more prolific passer, and that's offset somewhat by how all these younger point guards - of which there are more in the league running teams right now than there have been in a while - can smoke him defensively. The younger guards would probably increase their assists, but they'll always be better than Nash at scoring and playing defense.
    Despite their youth, Dragic, Lowry and Lin, I think, would have been good enough to help the Lakers win a championship this and next season, too, not wasting the time that Kobe Bryant has left.
    How are Toronto, Houston, and Phoenix doing? Worst teams in the league? Phoenix has a terrible record but a better team then last year except for Nash/Dragic?

    Maybe wait to see how the team does with Nash first and then post? \

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    3,178
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Pluvious View Post
    How are Toronto, Houston, and Phoenix doing? Worst teams in the league? Phoenix has a terrible record but a better team then last year except for Nash/Dragic?

    Maybe wait to see how the team does with Nash first and then post? \
    Those other teams suck all around - it's not Lowry's or Lin's or Dragic's fault. And guess what: The Lakers are sucking with Nash, who's injury and age are part of "how the team does with Nash." He's been injured and the Lakers have sucked; therefore, the Lakers have sucked so far with Nash. It's the same as how the Hornets have sucked with Eric Gordon and the Knicks have done well in spite of Amare Stoudemire.
    I don't see why ignoramus' like you keep trying to pull out health as a part of how good a player is, because health and age are potentially more important than any other part of a player's worth.
    Last edited by mrblisterdundee; 12-25-2012 at 02:56 PM.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    3,473
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by mrblisterdundee View Post
    Those other teams suck all around - it's not Lowry's or Lin's or Dragic's fault. And guess what: The Lakers are sucking with Nash, who's injury and age are part of "how the team does with Nash." He's been injured and the Lakers have sucked; therefore, the Lakers have sucked so far with Nash. It's the same as how the Hornets have sucked with Eric Gordon and the Knicks have done well in spite of Amare Stoudemire.
    I don't see why ignoramus' like you keep trying to pull out health as a part of how good a player is, because health and age are potentially more important than any other part of a player's worth.
    Did you just insult me? LOL. Go away kid. Your point about Phoenix is off. They have a BETTER roster then last year when they were a .500 team with Nash. Get it?

    And the injury thing just makes no sense. It has nothing to do with the topic or any points being made. You just threw it out there. Maybe you had some type of point in your head but you didn't share it with us. Maybe next time you will. Thanks.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    2,241
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by mrblisterdundee View Post
    Those other teams suck all around - it's not Lowry's or Lin's or Dragic's fault. And guess what: The Lakers are sucking with Nash, who's injury and age are part of "how the team does with Nash." He's been injured and the Lakers have sucked; therefore, the Lakers have sucked so far with Nash. It's the same as how the Hornets have sucked with Eric Gordon and the Knicks have done well in spite of Amare Stoudemire.
    I don't see why ignoramus' like you keep trying to pull out health as a part of how good a player is, because health and age are potentially more important than any other part of a player's worth.
    Health is part of how good a player is; however, nash has been healthy mostly his entire career and it took a freak injury that had little to do with age. Nash had a broken leg and contrary to what many may think, your bones are not what become vulnerable when veteran athletes start getting injured. It's not until people get into their mid 50's where bones start to become an issue.

    Nash has been back now for 2 games and has looked pretty awesome. With all due respect to the pgs you mentioned, nash even rusty in his current state is a far superior player than those guys. The lakers made the right choice.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •