Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    Eh, Marte is nothing special and is 100% blocked at 3B and 1B.
    We lack bats big time in our system and we gave one of the better ones up for a 4th outfielder in a season we're expected to tank. Stupid trade 10 times out of 10.

Doesn't matter if he's blocked. At least trade him for something better.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KingZoFkWeeNz View Post
    We lack bats big time in our system and we gave one of the better ones up for a 4th outfielder in a season we're expected to tank. Stupid trade 10 times out of 10.

Doesn't matter if he's blocked. At least trade him for something better.
    He's not a big time bat or even a great prospect. He's a "C" prospect with unrealized potential.

I'll trade that for a quality major league 4th outfielder 10 times out of 10.

vCash
    He's not a big time bat or even a great prospect. He's a "C" prospect with unrealized potential.

Didn't say he was a big time bat. But he is a bat. And we lack that big time. Lol.

I'd rather keep that potential and hope he grows into something rather than a player that doesn't really do anything for us.

If our system wasn't so thin offensively then I may agree with the trade. But in the current state, no.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KingZoFkWeeNz View Post
    Didn't say he was a big time bat. But he is a bat. And we lack that big time. Lol.

I'd rather keep that potential and hope he grows into something rather than a player that doesn't really do anything for us.
    I'd rather have a major league right-handed outfielder with solid defense and a little pop and speed for the next 4+ years than a 3rd baseman who might be an average major league bat with below average defense.

vCash
    That was a pretty fair trade. I think Beane comes out ahead in that trade, seeing as Marte had similar numbers in AA at 21 to Cowgill last year in AAA at 26.

But that was really an off-year for Cowgill. He's shown a decent bat every other minor league season, including a top 20 OPS in the Southern League (AA) in 2010, and again in the PCL (AAA) in 2011.

And we did need an outfielder more than another 3B. Marte won't have the power to be a 1B, and I think he'll be an average at best regular at 3B. He lacks the outstanding athleticism to think he's a really good big league regular. He's got a good arm and some solid hitting ability, but not too much else.

For what it's worth, Clay Davenport's age-adjusted peak translations suggest both guys have very similar peaks:

avg obp slg
    .256 .317 .402 Marte (.253 EQA)
    .254 .320 .386 Cowgill (.251 EQA)

So Marte at this point really doesn't look like he's going to be a better bat than Cowgill. Marte definitely has more potential to break out. So I can see preferring to keep Marte.

But I also think it's important to fill roles on the big league roster. Cowgill has a spot on this team now, and that's just more important. As long as it's not a completely lopsided trade, those are moves you have to make. Marte is behind both Wright and Flores now at 3B, whereas Cowgil is in line to be our best RH outfielder (unless we being back Hairston).
    Last edited by acerimusdux; 01-02-2013 at 12:26 AM.

vCash

Agreed. Problem is Cowgill is very far from being a proven quality ML 4th outfielder. Could he become that? Absolutely. But, could Marte realize his potential? Absolutely.

To be honest I think this trade ends up becoming a wash. Marte never really amounts to anything and Cowgill continues to produce at below average offensive numbers for a corner OF with defense not good enough to compensate. Gun to my head I don't make that trade though. At least not in the Mets situation.
    Last edited by 5+7=DYNASTY!!!; 01-02-2013 at 03:46 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Piazza View Post
    But I have to say that my time with the Mets wouldn't have been the same without the greatest fans in the world. One of the hardest moments of my career, was walking off the field at Shea Stadium and saying goodbye. My relationship with you made my time in New York the happiest of my career and for that, I will always be grateful.

vCash
    Cowgill shows what their ambition is for this team. A cheap warm body that you can pass off to a fanbase that has grown to accept anything.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    Cowgill shows what their ambition is for this team. A cheap warm body that you can pass off to a fanbase that has grown to accept anything.
    You bring no praise to the Mets organization, just folly. I'm mad, your mad, alot of people that are Mets fans are mad right now, we haven't been good since 06 and haven't won a world series since 86. The past few years including this one have been tougher, watching favorites like Reyes, Beltran, and now Dickey go, the Madoff scandle crippling our owners finances for our team, it sucked and continues to suck. I dont like the Wilpons either man, but still it was not fair what they were hit with.

As a fan for my team there is optimism - and thats alot coming from me being a realist. I don't post much on the Mets forum, I read it alot though because good things are going to come and Sandy has done a fine job given what he has to work with. He nabbed us a top pitching prospect for Beltran, dealt Dickey for 2 more top prospects specifically d'Arnaud, a possible cornerstone player for the future of this club moving foward.

I understand you are mad, just like myself right now rooting for this club but whining and complaining about the Wilpons and Sandy won't change anything, you have to look at that brink of light, and our top prospects are providing that for me, and maybe a few others on here like Sick, and Stuna. We want the best for our club wether it be a outfielder that plays hell of a good defense or a slugger. The negativity has to stop, its not going to help or change anything you gotta look foward man and not dwell in the past. If you honestly think its not bother Fred or Jeff that this team is struggling think again man they have shown they had the money to build, just not right now give them a few more years specifically 2014, thats when we get the cake right now we are just chewing on really tough meat.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsnQueens7 View Post
    You bring no praise to the Mets organization, just folly. I'm mad, your mad, alot of people that are Mets fans are mad right now, we haven't been good since 06 and haven't won a world series since 86. The past few years including this one have been tougher, watching favorites like Reyes, Beltran, and now Dickey go, the Madoff scandle crippling our owners finances for our team, it sucked and continues to suck. I dont like the Wilpons either man, but still it was not fair what they were hit with.

As a fan for my team there is optimism - and thats alot coming from me being a realist. I don't post much on the Mets forum, I read it alot though because good things are going to come and Sandy has done a fine job given what he has to work with. He nabbed us a top pitching prospect for Beltran, dealt Dickey for 2 more top prospects specifically d'Arnaud, a possible cornerstone player for the future of this club moving foward.

I understand you are mad, just like myself right now rooting for this club but whining and complaining about the Wilpons and Sandy won't change anything, you have to look at that brink of light, and our top prospects are providing that for me, and maybe a few others on here like Sick, and Stuna. We want the best for our club wether it be a outfielder that plays hell of a good defense or a slugger. The negativity has to stop, its not going to help or change anything you gotta look foward man and not dwell in the past. If you honestly think its not bother Fred or Jeff that this team is struggling think again man they have shown they had the money to build, just not right now give them a few more years specifically 2014, thats when we get the cake right now we are just chewing on really tough meat.

They don't deserve any.

I disagree.

No it doesn't.

They don't give a **** about this team. I am under zero illusions that they care about winning.

I'll call it as I see it, and they're creeps. 2014 looks like 2013 to me. More excuses for doing nothing.

vCash
    They don't deserve any.

I disagree.

No it doesn't.

They don't give a **** about this team. I am under zero illusions that they care about winning.

I'll call it as I see it, and they're creeps. 2014 looks like 2013 to me. More excuses for doing nothing.
    We'll see man. My post was not an attack, I hope it didn't appear like that. But I do agree with you on the Wilpons at times. They are really dishonest owners and I wouldn't mind dumping them into flushing bay the slighest.

vCash
    We'll see man. My post was not an attack, I hope it didn't appear like that. But I do agree with you on the Wilpons at times. They are really dishonest owners and I wouldn't mind dumping them into flushing bay the slighest.
    I understand you were not attacking me. But I'm sorry, until they show me something I am going to complain. They have been here long enough to achieve more than they have, their record as owners is abysmal.

This rebuild doesn't fool me, when you're trying to shed payroll and stay afloat, then the natural residue is a younger team with some good prospects, how could it be otherwise?

Even after cutting 7-8 bad deals, they're still refusing to do anything, and not because it somehow kills the future, but because they just don't want to spend. No-one can tell me that signing a reliever or two or a real OF'er would kill off all hope for years to come, or that moving over payroll to 2014 doesn't stink to high heaven.

The entire process to me is one where they just try and spend as little as they can today, and worry about tomorrow, later. They talk about flex constantly, and never use it, either in the off-season or at the deadline. It's just a line.

The way I see it there's going to be a lot of people very disappointed when the off-season rolls round again, people are envisaging a spending spree...

vCash
    I understand you were not attacking me. But I'm sorry, until they show me something I am going to complain. They have been here long enough to achieve more than they have, their record as owners is abysmal.

This rebuild doesn't fool me, when you're trying to shed payroll and stay afloat, then the natural residue is a younger team with some good prospects, how could it be otherwise?

Even after cutting 7-8 bad deals, they're still refusing to do anything, and not because it somehow kills the future, but because they just don't want to spend. No-one can tell me that signing a reliever or two or a real OF'er would kill off all hope for years to come, or that moving over payroll to 2014 doesn't stink to high heaven.

The entire process to me is one where they just try and spend as little as they can today, and worry about tomorrow, later. They talk about flex constantly, and never use it, either in the off-season or at the deadline. It's just a line.

The way I see it there's going to be a lot of people very disappointed when the off-season rolls round again, people are envisaging a spending spree...
    What do you see in the prospects that we have acquired though? a glimmer? anything at all?

vCash
    I mean, we did sign our best player to the largest contract in franchise history in an offseason where the budget is tight.

Money doesn't grow on trees.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetsFanatic19 View Post
    I mean, we did sign our best player to the largest contract in franchise history in an offseason where the budget is tight.

Money doesn't grow on trees.

So what? we shouldn't expect that?

The budget is always tight, that's the problem, and that situation is not improving.

vCash
    What do you see in the prospects that we have acquired though? a glimmer? anything at all?

They're good prospects. But that's all they are. Are the Coupons going to get us what else we need?

I don't think they are.

How are they going to acquire talent now? there's no blue chippers left to trade, trading prospects is robbing Peter to pay Paul, but there's no money for any FA's.

It does not add up.

The Mets are not going to win because they acquired Wheeler, TDA and Snydergaard, whatever is name is. We've just lost a ace pitcher, who would have pitched at a high level for the next 3 years, let's not forget that, so that's Wheeler 'swallowed up'. We have no BP and no OF.

TDA will probably start as our catcher, so a 74 win team is better in one position only, and weaker in SP. TDA is not proven either, although a tree stump would be an improvement on Thole.

Sorry but I'm not impressed, I think the near future is a younger cheaper team which will excite all the prospect junkies and all those that hate spending any money - but ultimately they'll keep falling short because there's always too many holes left unfilled.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast