Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    vCash
    We would have to offer him a lot of years on a contract bc he may not be ready to hit ML pitchers at the moment. He's not a guy that is going to step right into a ML lineup. I am all for signing him but he needs some more time to develop.

Presenting the 2013 New York Mets Outfield.

vCash
    Better options were Cespedes and Chapman, they didn't even try to get either.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    100% agree. Back in 2010 I stated over and over how offering Wagner arbitration and going after Chapman would be a huge step forward in the Mets rebuilding process. Imagine our core today had the Mets done just that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Piazza View Post
    But I have to say that my time with the Mets wouldn't have been the same without the greatest fans in the world. One of the hardest moments of my career, was walking off the field at Shea Stadium and saying goodbye. My relationship with you made my time in New York the happiest of my career and for that, I will always be grateful.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    I bet you're fantastic questioning quarterbacks on Mondays. Most had no idea how good either would be. Cubans in MLB have a very long bust list.

It's real difficult to see two guys have success and say, "oh those idiots screwed up not picking those guys up."

vCash
    It was clear that Chapman was a great talent though. He was young and dominating the WBC with filthy stuff. I badly wanted him on the Mets and his contract was far from lucrative.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    It was clear that Chapman was a great talent though. He was young and dominating the WBC with filthy stuff. I badly wanted him on the Mets and his contract was far from lucrative.
    Which team employs you? And yes there were plenty of questions about Chapman. If his contract was far from lucrative why were the Reds able to outspend the Yankees, Red Sox, Angels, and every other big market team to get him. If he were a can't miss, he never would have ended up there. The scouting reports read terrible arm action that would lead to injury, inconsistant command, and there were age questions.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by numbers-king View Post
    Which team employs you? And yes there were plenty of questions about Chapman. If his contract was far from lucrative why were the Reds able to outspend the Yankees, Red Sox, Angels, and every other big market team to get him. If he were a can't miss, he never would have ended up there. The scouting reports read terrible arm action that would lead to injury, inconsistant command, and there were age questions.
    They were smart to take the gamble and it's paid off dearly. Small market teams have to know when to get aggressive to get an edge on the big market teams that might overlook these talents.

Granted, Alvarez from what I've read is not of the same quality of Chapman and Cespedes, but he won't get as much money and is probably a notch behind based on his power numbers last year.

vCash
    Blah blah blah. Atleast you admit it was a gamble. If it hadn't worked out you wouldn't be tooting the horn.

Do you want me to list the number of these gambles that have failed? The Reds were lucky because most low budget teams cannot afford to take these shots and fail.

Paying anything more than a 3-4 million a year for Alvarez would be a terrible gamble too but some team out there will be dumb enough to throw him 7-8m for sure. Alvarez's overall skill-set isn't even in the same ballpark as Cespedes' when he was signed.
    Last edited by numbers-king; 12-27-2012 at 12:50 AM.

vCash
    Blah blah blah. Atleast you admit it was a gamble. If it hadn't worked out you wouldn't be tooting the horn.

Do you want me to list the number of these gambles that have failed? The Reds were lucky because most low budget teams cannot afford to take these shots and fail.

Paying anything more than a 3-4 million a year for Alvarez would be a terrible gamble too but some team out there will be dumb enough to throw him 7-8m for sure. Alvarez's overall skill-set isn't even in the same ballpark as Cespedes' when he was signed.
    I think he will get a 5/$30M type of deal instead of the 4/$36M that Cespedes got. This is just speculation though, I don't know how strong his market is.

If Alvarez spends the next two seasons in Cuba and mashes the way he did this past season, he would command a deal similiar to Cespedes imo.

It's known that Alvarez has power, a strong arm, and is 24. We'll see if the Mets are in on him. They will probably puss out like always.

vCash

Every draft pick is a gamble, every IFA signing is a gamble. Hell even signing a Free Agent is a gamble.

And yes Alvarez is a gamble, but considering the dearth of outfield prospects in the upper minors and on the major league roster, It's a move I would make.

You are right, 7-8 million is a steep price to pay for a slightly above average ball player.

ďNinety percent Iíll spend on good times, women, and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent Iíll probably waste.Ē
    - Tug McGraw, on his plans for his $75,000 salary

vCash
    I don't think he'll cost more than $5M a year, but I also think he'll need to spend at least a season in the minors, and maybe two.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 5+7=DYNASTY!!! View Post
    100% agree. Back in 2010 I stated over and over how offering Wagner arbitration and going after Chapman would be a huge step forward in the Mets rebuilding process. Imagine our core today had the Mets done just that.

Instead they just sold Wags for $3M.

vCash
    I bet you're fantastic questioning quarterbacks on Mondays. Most had no idea how good either would be. Cubans in MLB have a very long bust list.

It's real difficult to see two guys have success and say, "oh those idiots screwed up not picking those guys up."

In said they should go after both of them at the time. You might be happy watching the Mets do nothing year after year, I'm not.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by clayamtion View Post
    Every draft pick is a gamble, every IFA signing is a gamble. Hell even signing a Free Agent is a gamble.

And yes Alvarez is a gamble, but considering the dearth of outfield prospects in the upper minors and on the major league roster, It's a move I would make.

You are right, 7-8 million is a steep price to pay for a slightly above average ball player.
    This. But again I don't think he will cost that much.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    This. But again I don't think he will cost that much.
    Whatever he costs will be too much for the Mets. There's no way they're gonna spend that big, they won't even sign a MLB FA to a major-league contract. It's almost 2013, and a 74 win team hasn't even signed an entry-level MLB FA.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast