Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 41 of 67 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CamraMaan View Post
    Agreed on Franklin, good time to sell somewhat high on him, especially with the depth of our farm there.

Trading Seager and Saunders for Stanton only creates a new hole at 3B...

2nd and 3rd best hitters on one of the worst offensive clubs in baseball doesn't say much. Its one time to step out of the Mariners batters box and compare them to the rest of the league... just in the AL West they would both be 6th and 7th with the Angels, 3rd and 4th with the A's (no surprise), about 4th/5th/6th with the Rangers, and lets just say the Astros would cream their pants to have both last year. Stanton would be tops on each of those teams, except second to Trout, and not by much.

Agreed on Seager, albeit I think he's got .270-.280 AVG (with regularity) hiding in him, and potential to go above on occasion down the road. But I think we saw more power than he'll usually show.

My problem with Franklin is I don't think he's the best SS/2B on the farm, especially if none of them are good defensive SS's that have to move to 2B. It makes him very expendable.

If we land Stanton I would start to consider Bourn and giving up the pick... if he would sign for a reasonable price.

Right now I'm pretty meh about trading for Morse... he sucks in the OF, and we already have too many guys at the 1B/DH logjam
    . If he could even sniff being league average in the OF I might think about it more. But otherwise I prefer to save the trade bait and start Wells and Guti, and play with the 1B/DH logjam we already have.
    im not that high on him, but if laroche resigns, morse is by far the most realistic/cheapest option to add another MOTO capable bat... i cringe at all the defensive liability guys slow pokes on the roster tho.
    Last edited by Rain City; 01-05-2013 at 01:19 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FWBrodie View Post
    If I had to guess, neither are going anywhere.

Imagine how crushed us older guys were when Junior, Unit, and Arod left us.

Disclaimer: they're older than me.
    when unit left he was in his mid 30s with a bad back and i dont blame our gm not wanting to give him more than a 3yr deal at the time and we actually got great talent in return that were crucial in multiple playoff runs. plus we still had griffey and arod.

when griffey left it hurt, we woulda pd him more than cincy but he wanted out, showed his spoiled brat colors. at his cincy PC first thing he said "im finally home" , like he had been in prison for the past decade, dude was idolized, embraced, pampered, loved like no other, and he totally took for granted his pedestal and memories, i bet hes as regretful as us. at least we still had arod.

arod (the truly disengenous person he is) said he didnt want to sign an ext bc he wanted to see if we could make the playoffs that year, then he'd stay bc it was about winning, not $(at that time he was believable)...than we made the playoffs and what did he do?... took the $... Good Lord his value was high when he left, but TX buried themselvs w/ that contract, we signed ichiro and won 116 games the next year, irony had it when we broke the win record Kaz Kd Arod in Safeco for the final out!!!!

for me the loss of these 3 hurt more over time, it got worse, and worse and worse... it labeled us the city that cant keep a superstar, none of these scenarios were our fault, it was wise to trade randy, griffey left for less, arod was a greedy, liar. whataya gonna do?

vCash
    Ackley L
    Saunders L
    Morales S
    Upton R
    Montero R
    Saunders L
    Jaso/Smoak L/S
    Guti R
    Ryan R

Not too shabby.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rain City View Post
    im not that high on him, but if laroche resigns, morse is by far the most realistic/cheapest option to add another MOTO capable bat... i cringe at all the defensive liability guys slow pokes on the roster tho.
    I understand how he could be seen as a positive addition, but at the expense of what player's starts/ABs? If you wanna put Smoak in Tacoma and give Morse all the LHP starts at 1B, then I understand the motive, but if he's only gonna get 40% of the starts (some at DH) he had better come at a cheap cost in a trade. I would much rather have Wells get all the starts in the OF than split any time with Morse... I know there are splits we can play, but the lack in defense is pretty big.

"Better to remain silent and thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt" - Abraham Lincoln

vCash
    I think that's my biggest qualm with Upton... I don't see him as a prototypical MOTO bat. I guess maybe batting 5th, but not 4th.

"Better to remain silent and thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt" - Abraham Lincoln

vCash
    I think Upton is the epitome of MOTO bat.

What makes you say that CM? The guy is a supreme talent and a great hitter.
    I'm In.

vCash
    Yeah I don't get it CM

vCash
    If he puts it all together again, then his is. Easily.

Dave Cameron did a thing on home road splits, but it was kind of confusing and vague. I just have a hard time believing that home field advantage accounts for a 40 point wOBA and 40 wRC+ difference.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jej View Post

Dave Cameron did a thing on home road splits, but it was kind of confusing and vague. I just have a hard time believing that home field advantage accounts for a 40 point wOBA and 40 wRC+ difference.
    Yeah I saw that.
    Super Bowl XLVIII Champs

vCash
    I define a MOTO bat as 30+ HR (without flinching) every year, and a solid AVG/OBP to back it up. Yeah, Upton could get there (every year), but he's only done that once in his 5+ years. He turns 26 later this year. There's a point where you start to doubt the hype, and I'm there. I think Arizona is there too. I admit, however, that I never fell in love with JUpton like some of you did. Partially because I saw the lacking elements in his brother, amongst all the hype, so I was cautious to start with Justin. But now, I just don't think he's magically going to become the player so many have expected him to be. Stanton is a prototypical MOTO bat, albeit one of the best out there. But I don't want to sign a "MOTO bat" that is more likely to hit 15-25 HRs than 30+. And if we're trading for him I don't want to sell the farm to do it.

vCash
    Don't get me wrong, I would love to have Upton in an M's uni, but I temper my expectations when I say that, if he were to come here...

vCash
    I don't think that's necessarily an accurate representation of a MOTO bat. To me, creating runs is more important than just hitting HR. obviously HR are the best way to do so, but they aren't completely necessary.

I'm not a huge justin fan either, but I think you may be taking something away from him there. I think .285/.350/.500 with 25 HR is pretty damn good.

vCash
    It is good. But he's had two poor seasons out of the last three since then. And not poor as in crappy, but poor as in not MOTO bat seasons. He lacks the consistency I want to see from a guy who is 25 and been in the majors 5+ years, with the hype that he had. Most of the best hitters who made a splash at a similarly young age didn't struggle as much to meet the hype... the ones who have struggled to meet the hype like Upton, they're still good players, but not worth selling the farm for.

vCash

I think it's actually a pretty awful article. He literally backs nothing up with stats and just tells us not to believe the splits.

I don't think that's necessarily an accurate representation of a MOTO bat. To me, creating runs is more important than just hitting HR. obviously HR are the best way to do so, but they aren't completely necessary.

I'm not a huge justin fan either, but I think you may be taking something away from him there. I think .285/.350/.500 with 25 HR is pretty damn good.
    Justin did play through all of 2012 with a thumb injury and I thought there were shoulder injury concerns as well. I think the splits are way overblown.

I would say David Wright is a MOTO bat and he only hit .301 with 21 home runs last season.
    I'm In.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CamraMaan View Post
    I define a MOTO bat as 30+ HR (without flinching) every year, and a solid AVG/OBP to back it up. Yeah, Upton could get there (every year), but he's only done that once in his 5+ years. He turns 26 later this year. There's a point where you start to doubt the hype, and I'm there. I think Arizona is there too. I admit, however, that I never fell in love with JUpton like some of you did. Partially because I saw the lacking elements in his brother, amongst all the hype, so I was cautious to start with Justin. But now, I just don't think he's magically going to become the player so many have expected him to be. Stanton is a prototypical MOTO bat, albeit one of the best out there. But I don't want to sign a "MOTO bat" that is more likely to hit 15-25 HRs than 30+. And if we're trading for him I don't want to sell the farm to do it.
    I think he will get there. It took Adam Jones a while to get to where he has been the last 2 season. Upton is I think a better talent with a much higher ceiling than Jones. I think this could be the year he gets it going if he is still in Arizona for sure. If he gets traded I don't know if that would change anything or not. Anyone figure out if we were on his no trade list for sure or not?

Page 41 of 67 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast