Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 30 of 67 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast
    vCash
    i agree w/ CM.

you have to be discerning how much to give up but you cant be afraid either. if your a good GM, even if you overspend, you have to have the confidence that you will make good enough draft picks in the future, sly trades and signings to put together enough talent to win with a franchise savior of stanton's caliber.

for an extreme example to prove my point, barry zito (not a franchise savior) SF has spent over $100m the last 6 years on a guy that has barely held down a 4/5 spot in the rotation and who was left off a PS roster. a drastic overspend, but they have made up for it nicely in the draft, low/mid level FA, and in-season trades and won 2 WS.

we cant be afraid to overspend, im convinced we will never land close to this caliber hitter in FA and it could be multiple decades til we draft one.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CamraMaan View Post
    Sorry jej, but this Stanton discussion is one you're gonna lose. There's no way you pass up on him. He's not just an A+ guy, he's A+++, he's a perennial MVP candidate, high bet to be a HoF inductee, etc... he's Junior, he's ARod, he's Pujols... he's the guy that one lucky team gets to draft once every 5-10 years... and you don't develop him. Hell, there's probably a 0.3% your team gets to ever draft a guy like this. If you can trade for him, you pull that ****ing trigger. Especially for a bunch of unknown specs... You don't trade your whole farm, but three top, truly unknown potential specs, plus a couple others, for a guy who will destroy pitchers even in Safeco, with all the other important tools, you do it.

The best part is we can do it while trading from positions we have solid depth at in the system... we don't really create any holes doing it. Any "hole" we create we can easily fill on the short term (2013) and fill long term not too long after (from our farm).
    Its not just unproven guys. Its our 3rd baseman who will probably hit in the top 5 this year, along with 3 top specs, one of them top 10 in the MLB, another top 40, and the last top 70.

Who is gonna fill 3rd base? Scott Rolen? Brandon Inge? Liddi?

And why arent you worried about the other 3B specs being unproven? You seem pretty confident that they will solve the problem for the future, right after you talk about how unproven three much more highly thought of specs are?
    Last edited by jej; 01-01-2013 at 09:17 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jej View Post
    Its not just unproven guys. Its our 3rd baseman who will probably hit in the top 5 this year, along with 3 top specs, one of them top 10 in the MLB, another top 40, and the last top 70.

Who is gonna fill 3rd base? Scott Rolen? Brandon Inge? Liddi?
    As Brodie said...

Liddi & Stanton > Wells & Seager
    I'm In.

vCash
    Why do you act like Wells is the only alternative? There are tons of other options out there for RF.

vCash
    throw in another player and get dobbs in the deal and let him liddi and triunfel compete for PT, they wont need dobbs if they are getting seager....

bottom line, you dont get hung up on kyle effn seager when acquiring stanton... he hit .258 last year and the yr before, consensus is hes prolly plataued there, we wont have the difficulty replacing him as you'd think, he just looked great on our team, its stanton, he'll make everyone better.
    Last edited by Rain City; 01-01-2013 at 09:23 PM.

vCash
    Why do you act like Wells is the only alternative? There are tons of other options out there for RF.
    List em...
    I'm In.

vCash
    Jej you're putting to much into our specs. Justin Smoak, Jeff clement, Carlos triunfel, Ryan Anderson, etc. they were all can't miss guys. Smoak the next textiera, triunfel the next Cabrera, Anderson the next RJ.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rain City View Post
    throw in another player and get dobbs in the deal and let him liddi and triunfel compete for PT, they wont need dobbs if they are getting seager....

bottom line, you dont get hung up on kyle effn seager when acquiring stanton... he hit .258 last year and the yr before, consensus is hes prolly plataued there, we wont have the difficulty replacing him as you'd think, he just looked great on our team, its stanton, he'll make everyone better.
    I dont care what his batting average was. He was our best/2nd best hitter last year. I dont know anyone who says he has plateaued but you. He is 25. You need to quick acting like whatever people do in their first 2 years is it.

We will have a hard time replacing him. There are not many 3B out there at all.

Are Dobbs or Liddi gonna give us a .321wOBA, 108 wRC+, 3.6 WAR? Doubt it.

I wouldnt be completely against it, but I dont think it would be as big of a home run as everyone else if we have to give up Seager and Walker+

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Iansnightout View Post
    List em...
    Ethier, Markakis, Joyce, Willingham, Morse, Gordon, Kubel. Then Grandy, Choo, Prado, Ellsbury in FA next year.

vCash
    Ethier, Markakis, Joyce, Willingham, Morse, Gordon, Kubel. Then Grandy, Choo, Prado, Ellsbury in FA next year.
    Why can't we trade for Stanton and sign one of those free agents next offseason?

Stanton & Grandy/Choo/Prado/Ellsbury & Liddi > Seager and (2)Grandy/Choo/Prado/Ellsbury
    I'm In.

vCash
    Those guys would cost a lot in trade, and wont sign here in FA, and none of them with Seager equal Stanton. There is not a player on this team I would not trade for Stanton. I would offer Felix for Stanton straight up if Stanton would sign a long term deal.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Iansnightout View Post
    Why can't we trade for Stanton and sign one of those free agents next offseason?

Stanton & Grandy/Choo/Prado/Ellsbury & Liddi > Seager and (2)Grandy/Choo/Prado/Ellsbury
    Good point. I will wait for the answer LOL.

vCash
    Alright. You guys win

vCash
    Wait, didnt you just say we cant sign any of them Drew? Awesome consistency.

vCash
    I will sacrifice my left nut! No joke. I'm in it to win it.

Page 30 of 67 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast