Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 20 of 67 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jej View Post
    I guess I would do any specs. But wouldn't want to include Seager like they would want. Then we lose a position that is much harder to fill.

But:
    Ackley
    Seager
    Montero
    Stanton
    Morales
    Jaso/Smoak/Zunino
    Saunders
    Guti
    Ryan/Eventually Miller

Would look pretty damn sweet. Then we could sign Grandy or Choo to replace Guti next year and be even better

**** it. Id offer Walker, Paxton, Franklin, Romero, Triunfel
    Even if it is hypothetical, you really let your ridiculous love of Montero show when you suggest he would bat 3rd...ahead of Stanton.

Sure the future may prove different, but Montero isn't even a better hitter than Jaso right now.

vCash
    Your best hitter shouldn't hit third so I don't know what you are getting at. It would be stupid to hit Stanton 3rd.

You are letting your lack of knowledge show.

Plus, Jaso third would make three lefties in a row, and I have him platooning with Smoak and didn't want to do a vs LHP and vs RHP.
    Last edited by jej; 12-31-2012 at 02:08 AM.
    You have no idea how excited I am right now.

vCash
    Your best hitter shouldn't hit third so I don't know what you are getting at.

Plus, Jaso third would make three lefties in a row, and I have him platooning with Smoak and didn't want to do a vs LHP and vs RHP.
    Ok....but who suggests having one of your worst hitters hit 3rd?

vCash
    One of your worst? You really hate him huh?

I highly doubt Montero will be one of our worst hitters.

4,1,2,5,3, with some variation based on player type. All he has to do is be our 5th best hitter. Shouldn't be too hard at all.

vCash
    One of your worst? You really hate him huh?

I highly doubt Montero will be one of our worst hitters.

4,1,2,5,3, with some variation based on player type. All he has to do is be our 5th best hitter. Shouldn't be too hard at all.
    I just don't see anything quantifiable from last year that justifies the confidence in him that you have.

I'm all for hoping Montero can improve as a lot of people hope/expect him too. And I hope that he might be able to play some 1B down the road to offer more defensive flexibility.

But right now, I'm not that confident.

vCash
    Your best hitter shouldn't hit third so I don't know what you are getting at. It would be stupid to hit Stanton 3rd.

It would not be stupid to bat Stanton 3rd. Just because you have an opinion on how a lineup should be put together doesn't mean it is the only way. Nor do I think the way I would build a lineup would be the only way.

I for one am a strong believer of having your player that is most likely to get on base, be your 3rd hitter. Except for the rare players like Trout or Ichiro when they first come into the league and can cause havoc when they reach first.

vCash
    It was his first year in te league at 22 years old!

Look at his minor league stats, and scouting reports. He has the talent. Just cause he struggled in his first year doesn't mean his career is over.

Most people his age are in AAA or lower, while he was throw in to the MOTO and behind the plate in the bigs. Be patient for gods sake. Can't give up because of one down year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by baseball_is_lif View Post
    It would not be stupid to bat Stanton 3rd. Just because you have an opinion on how a lineup should be put together doesn't mean it is the only way. Nor do I think the way I would build a lineup would be the only way.

I for one am a strong believer of having your player that is most likely to get on base, be your 3rd hitter. Except for the rare players like Trout or Ichiro when they first come into the league and can cause havoc when they reach first.
    It's not an opinion. It can be shown that having your best hitter hit 3rd isn't smart and doesn't utilize the lineup to its full potential. Do you realize how often the 3 hitter comes up with 2 outs and no one on? The answer is a lot.

Someone with Stanton's power needs to hit cleanup.

vCash
    It was his first year in te league at 22 years old!

Look at his minor league stats, and scouting reports. He has the talent. Just cause he struggled in his first year doesn't mean his career is over.

Most people his age are in AAA or lower, while he was throw in to the MOTO and behind the plate in the bigs. Be patient for gods sake. Can't give up because of one down year.
    Players who succeed in the minors are a dime a dozen. The M's have had plenty of players come up through the minors that were the "future" who just never did anything. Adam Jones and Felix are really the only two I can think of in the past decade.

Throwing a kid into the middle of the lineup- because of what he did in the minors, while ignoring how badly he played in his first full MLB season- sounds like a bad idea.

vCash

vCash
    Players who succeed in the minors are a dime a dozen. The M's have had plenty of players come up through the minors that were the "future" who just never did anything. Adam Jones and Felix are really the only two I can think of in the past decade.

Throwing a kid into the middle of the lineup- because of what he did in the minors, while ignoring how badly he played in his first full MLB season- sounds like a bad idea.
    Who else is there? It's not like there is a ton of better options. He was probably about our 5th best hitter last year, and that's where I placed him.

Who else would be in the middle? Jaso/Smoak platoon? Saunders?

You are overreacting to one year and are pretty much dead set on Montero busting. Bill James projects an .805 OPS for him next year. Not bad at all for a 3 hitter.

vCash
    [q

vCash
    I just don't see anything quantifiable from last year that justifies the confidence in him that you have.

I'm all for hoping Montero can improve as a lot of people hope/expect him too. And I hope that he might be able to play some 1B down the road to offer more defensive flexibility.

But right now, I'm not that confident.
    He's 22 years old!

Before the season he was a consensus top five prospect. Players rarely come up and hit to potential right off the bat. Hell, look at Mike Trout.

Montero WILL improve this season. He still hits the ball as hard as anyone I've ever seen and moving the fences will only help.

I'm willing to bet he's in our top 3 best hitters this season.
    I'm In.

vCash
    and I agree with Jej nearly 100% on lineup creation. I've stuck by that article since it was written and I'm a firm believer.

I just personally love having a great #2 hitter behind your best on base guy. That sets up lots of opportunities early on in the game. Especially with an elite gap hitter at the two hole.

Alex Gordon is my ideal 2 hole guy. He could lead off but I just love those doubles.
    I'm In.

vCash
    Asdrubal Cabrera would be a really good 2-hole hitter (he's also hit lead off as well as in the three-hole).. He's a veteran that handles the bat very well going the other way or hitting behind the runner, he can lay down a bunt, and has enough pop to be able to hit a few out while still getting his share of doubles.. He'd be perfect in that role for the M's. He would turn the SS position for the M's from an offensive wasteland to one of the top three offensive producers in the AL..

He's also under team control at a reasonable price ( $ 8 MM/year for two years) thereby allowing one of the M's top prospects, Nick Franklin, time to develop, properly. A trade between the Indians and Mariners is a very good fit...

Page 20 of 67 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast