Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 17 of 67 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Word. We aren't competing this year anyway. What we do with him could have a big effect on the future.
    You have no idea how excited I am right now.

vCash
    Why aren't we competing?

If all our guys hit to potential, I think we can contend.

I'd like to wait a month or so to decide they're actually out.
    I'm In.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Iansnightout View Post
    Why aren't we competing?

exactly, A's were supposed to be 4th place last year, AZ in 2011, in baseball's toughest divisions. SF has players come out of nowhere, and young players reach their potential, TB the same thing and get to the WS.

jejs post is another example of being too used to rooting for a loser and the never-ending rebuild philosophy, go become a KC fan, its not probable we make the playoffs, but its not impossible by any means.

i say if we are 90 games in and 15 games out to multiple teams than you start playing guys to evaluate them, other than that, in the words of herm edwards... "YOU PLAY, TO WIN, THE GAME....HELLO" .... even if that means benching or sending down former top draft picks..... what better way to alienate your fans than throwing in the towel before the season starts x amillion.

vCash
    we were one of the best teams in baseball the 2nd half, especially if you throw out the last 3 wks.... two 8 game winning streaks, and more than half the lineup are at ascending points in their career. we can compete. i still cant name off half the guys on oakland's roster, they play in a spacious ballpark with less payroll. SF the same, the 2 teams w/ the similar climate make the playoffs, 1 the WS, we have more advantage and better chances than most seem to think IMO.

vCash
    Why aren't we competing?

Yeah we could have been competing all along Our guys just haven't been hitting like they're supposed to, and some people are getting injured.
    Super Bowl XLVIII Champs

vCash
    Why aren't we competing?

thats asking a lot. but it will be interesting to see who grows up

vCash
    Didnt say we can't. But we shouldn't expect it. We don't have enough talent to have a good shot at contention.

Point was, letting him play is not a huge problem because we aren't expecting to contend. We need to think about the future, so we need to see what Smoak can do. All the young guys have to get ABs so we can start weeding out the guys who need to be replaced.

It's not getting used to losing. If you honestly think I want them to lose then you need to just stop posting all together. Being realistic and not a massive homer isn't getting used to losing. It's understanding the truth and not making things up or having false hope.

Of course we can contend. But no one is expecting it, and it isn't likely in the best division in the league.

vCash
    A lot of things would have to go right for us to be a competing team.

vCash
    ^ that is the same with every team tho

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jej View Post
    Didnt say we can't. But we shouldn't expect it. We don't have enough talent to have a good shot at contention.

Point was, letting him play is not a huge problem because we aren't expecting to contend. We need to think about the future, so we need to see what Smoak can do. All the young guys have to get ABs so we can start weeding out the guys who need to be replaced.

It's not getting used to losing. If you honestly think I want them to lose then you need to just stop posting all together. Being realistic and not a massive homer isn't getting used to losing. It's understanding the truth and not making things up or having false hope.

Of course we can contend. But no one is expecting it, and it isn't likely in the best division in the league.
    the point is you play to win, especially early in the season everyone has a chance, i wouldnt be opposed to keeping him on the roster bc of his defensive value and may be worth a platoon or spot start.... but you dont say, yea were prolly worse with him, but lets keep playing him in case he gets better, this year is no big deal anyways.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rain City View Post
    ^ that is the same with every team tho
    Not even close to the things we would need. Lol.

vCash
    We don't know if we are worse with him. In fact we probably aren't. The alternative is either Jaso/Raul play vs lefties, or we get a vet defensive catcher who is probably not a better hitter, AND Morales doesnt get to DH.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jej View Post
    We don't know if we are worse with him. In fact we probably aren't. The alternative is either Jaso/Raul play vs lefties, or we get a vet defensive catcher who is probably not a better hitter, AND Morales doesnt get to DH.
    if hes our everyday 1b, we are worse, theres a good chance he doesnt even break camp, the FO has made it known they are done cottling his development and i applaud them for that.

there are much more pressing things to talk about than smoak.... like how are we going to make up vargas' innings, where is hultzen at and what is our OF going to look like?
    Last edited by Rain City; 12-30-2012 at 05:12 PM.

vCash
    I've never once heard the FO say anything like that. Why the hell would they? It'd really make his trade value zero.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MattColby View Post
    I've never once heard the FO say anything like that. Why the hell would they? It'd really make his trade value zero.
    it already is zero, and GMZ in interviews has all but alluded to it when addressing smoak, and they traded for a 1b

Page 17 of 67 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast