Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast
    vCash

Mariners Acquire Morse - Three-Team Deal

The Mariners, Nationals and Athletics have combined on a three-team trade that will send Michael Morse to the Mariners, John Jaso to the A's and right-hander A.J. Cole to the Nats, Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post reports. The Nationals will also receive a player to be named later and a "good" prospect as part of the trade, reports Amanda Comak of the Washington Times. It was reported earlier this evening by Jon Paul Morosi and Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports (Twitter link) that the M's were close to a deal that would bring Morse to Seattle.

Morse has been a strong trade commodity ever since the Nationals re-signed Adam LaRoche. At least five or six teams had shown interest in Morse, with the Yankees, Rays and Red Sox among those linked to the first baseman/outfielder.

Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/0...GzvXqOOWmWo.99
    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/0...h-nats-as.html

"King Felix has hurled more mega quality starts since 2010 than 14 entire MLB teams."
    http://dynamik-farr.deviantart.com/

vCash
    Morse for Jaso

yeah i dont like that. we could have coughed up a reliever just as easy and kept Jaso

vCash
    I don't mind the move. Maybe this is a signal that Zunino will be here sooner rather than later.

Morse hit ~.290 against both lefties and righties in 2012.

2B - Ackley
    CF - Guti
    DH - Morales
    LF - Morse
    C - Montero
    3B - Seager
    1B - Smoak
    RF - Saunders
    SS - Ryan

This trade kicks the one for Upton in the ***, that is for sure. Thankful we didn't grab Upton for that price tag.

"King Felix has hurled more mega quality starts since 2010 than 14 entire MLB teams."

vCash
    Not a fan. Morse is older, and on a one year deal. I dont necessarily think Jaso will repeat what he did last year, I also dont think Morse will either.

Soooo, who the hell catches now? We must be bringing in another catcher somehow.

Also hope that "good prospect" isnt from us, but it probably will be.

You have no idea how excited I am right now.

vCash
    Jaso wasn't going to be here long-term either, so I don't necessarily buy that argument. It is a fact Morse is a much greater threat hitting the ball than Jaso. Being 30 is not that "old" in baseball standards. Sure, he and Morales are 30 and 28 respectively, but that doesn't mean they are beyond their prime.

Don't get me wrong though, this isn't a positive from the catching perspective, but I do believe this trade is beneficial.

All the reports indicate the only player we are giving up is Jaso.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Boozerguy47 View Post
    Jaso wasn't going to be here long-term either, so I don't necessarily buy that argument. It is a fact Morse is a much greater threat hitting the ball than Jaso. Being 30 is not that "old" in baseball standards. Sure, he and Morales are 30 and 28 respectively, but that doesn't mean they are beyond their prime.

Don't get me wrong though, this isn't a positive from the catching perspective, but I do believe this trade is beneficial.

All the reports indicate the only player we are giving up is Jaso.
    But Jaso is locked up. Whether we planned to keep him is another story. Morse is here for one year, and only one year in all likelihood.

I just cant see the As giving up Cole++ for Jaso, but who knows.

vCash
    My initial reaction is:

Holy God did Dave Cameron and his sheep overreact.

This isn't an awful deal at all.

vCash
    yeah that "good spec" better not be from us. I bet Morse is gonna be aloud to roam around in LF with Montero catching more then we thought. we can still bring in somone like a Stoppach

vCash
    I like this trade. It means Montero is our C everyday, and Zunino must be real close. Keeps Morales at DH everyday, if Smoak bounces back he plays 1B if he doesn't Morse does. Or Morse plays in the OF. I will take a little less on defense to have all those bats out there every day. I loved having Jaso bit I like this move too. And there is no reason to think we can't sign Morse to a 2 or 3 year deal. At least it is a move too. We are trying.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by drew_ellis_23 View Post
    I like this trade. It means Montero is our C everyday, and Zunino must be real close. Keeps Morales at DH everyday, if Smoak bounces back he plays 1B if he doesn't Morse does. Or Morse plays in the OF. I will take a little less on defense to have all those bats out there every day. I loved having Jaso bit I like this move too. And there is no reason to think we can't sign Morse to a 2 or 3 year deal. At least it is a move too. We are trying.
    It's not "a little less defense" it's essentially NO DEFENSE.

Morse is abysmal in the OF. Like terrible.

Trading away your best player for an inferior player is not really trying. It's being desperate.

vCash
    I feel like only one of Morse and Morales will be back next year tho, so we may have essentially traded Vargas and Jaso for a year of Morales, and Morse.

If Smoak figures it out, theres even more of a problem. What if he hits .260/.325/.440, Morales hits .275/.330/.470, and Morse hits .280/.335/.470. Who stays and who goes? Only two of them can be here, chances are its Smoak and Morse because even if Morales is better than Smoak, he is a lot cheaper and younger.

I am just a little confused more than mad. I want to know how this will effect the team in the future

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Iansnightout View Post
    It's not "a little less defense" it's essentially NO DEFENSE.

Morse is abysmal in the OF. Like terrible.

Trading away your best player for an inferior player is not really trying. It's being desperate.
    Same glove as Bay and Ibanez, better bat. I will take it. And is Jaso our best player?

vCash
    Seems like we are acquiring guys who can hit but can't play Defense lol.

So we got Ibanez,Smoak,Montero,Morales,Bay now Morse have no idea what Z's plan here is or how we are going to play them.

vCash
    the PTBNL is coming from Oak

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NateyB24 View Post
    Seems like we are acquiring guys who can hit but can't play Defense lol.

This reminds me of when Bavasis job was on the line and we traded our whole farm for Bedard pretty much.
    Yeah at least we still have the farm for Stanton next off season lol. He acquired Morse and Morales for two guys that were expendable if you ask me. Both these guys come here and hit well in the Safe with the fences in and we play good then if they don't resign at the very least other FA's might not be so intimidated. At least we are getting some pop in our lineup. Now you sign Bourn and a veteran SP and call it a day.

Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast