Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by clayamtion View Post
    That is exactly how I feel.
    +1

I actually haven't been this excited for a Mets season in a while.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    Are you joking?

They've cut payroll, they've been cutting it for years,where have you been?

DW doesn't add a dollar to payroll, in fact in 2013, he's cheaper than he used to be. Over the course of his deal he's making $17.25 per annum, which it not THAT much more than he was making prior to the extension.

Besides they just 'saved' money on Dickey's extension, plus the $5M he owed next year.

So really, if you look at these two guys per annum for the next say 3 years, the Mets actually saved money.
    John Buck makes 6 million.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

vCash
    We don't have a .500 team right now, but we somehow will be a playoff calibre team in 2014?

Ross and Hairston would be the best OF on our team hands down, but it's pointless signing either?

We know exactly where this team is now, it's not good enough to finish above 4th, it won't be next year either, YET you all believe that as if my magic we will have a contending team in 2104?

Makes zero sense.

You all so want to believe in this magically dreamy future will these prospects that you're all swooning over like teenage girls do over the beib, that you've lost touch with reality.

It all just magically falls into place in 2014 form some reason, from a 75 win type team to a 90+ WS contender, just like that.

This hand me down narrative of 'We're not spending till we have a contender, its pointless unless you can compete' has you all spellbound.

You haven't even questioned how a 75 win type team (for years)becomes 90 wins plus team. It just happens because that's what Metsblog et al have spun you.
    We will get better with the development of Harvey, Wheeler, Niese, Gee, and whatever starter we decide to use in that 5th spot.

Our pen will likely be better with young arms or some FA guys.

In theory we have the money to sign Corey Hart, Aaron Hill, and Martin Prado.

C-d'Arnaud
    1B-Davis
    2B-Hill
    SS-Tejada
    3B-Wright
    LF-Prado/Alvarez
    CF-Nieuwenhuis/den Dekker
    RF-Hart

That is a nice balanced offensive team.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    We will get better with the development of Harvey, Wheeler, Niese, Gee, and whatever starter we decide to use in that 5th spot.

Our pen will likely be better with young arms or some FA guys.

In theory we have the money to sign Corey Hart, Aaron Hill, and Martin Prado.

C-d'Arnaud
    1B-Davis
    2B-Hill
    SS-Tejada
    3B-Wright
    LF-Prado/Alvarez
    CF-Nieuwenhuis/den Dekker
    RF-Hart

That is a nice balanced offensive team.
    Plus we have Wilmer Flores who will be ML ready...wonder what we do with him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rio40 View Post
    Good points but they also have to show the ability to reinvest in the team. Your only referencing one aspect of rebuilding.
    This is always the statement I get when I talk about what is going on. The problem is when your in the middle of rebuilding you don't reinvest into the team until you are comfortable with the rebuilding process. If we are not done rebuilding which 2014 is the year to make the moves how can you be pissed off about not reinvesting in the team?

The only reason I referenced 1 aspect of rebuilding is because we haven't reached 2014.

When 2014 gets here and if we don't start going after impact players then we have a problem. But you can't sit here and tell me that these owners to invest into the team when they have had a top 7 payroll for a 10 year span.

vCash
    I didn't do that at all. They did the right thing with DW, I applauded it. They had to, but they did so, they clearly wanted DW back in a way they did nit want Jose back.

Sounds like you're the one wetting the bed...

Yeah I had a little holiday, funny how everyone insults me and I'm the one getting banned. Perhaps I need to learn to hang off Sandy's nuts.
    Never insulted you. I just said it was much more peaceful when you were gone

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by clayamtion View Post
    John Buck makes 6 million.
    So?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metsbulls1025 View Post
    Never insulted you. I just said it was much more peaceful when you were gone
    Of course it was, no dissent...

vCash
    This is always the statement I get when I talk about what is going on. The problem is when your in the middle of rebuilding you don't reinvest into the team until you are comfortable with the rebuilding process. If we are not done rebuilding which 2014 is the year to make the moves how can you be pissed off about not reinvesting in the team?

The only reason I referenced 1 aspect of rebuilding is because we haven't reached 2014.

When 2014 gets here and if we don't start going after impact players then we have a problem. But you can't sit here and tell me that these owners to invest into the team when they have had a top 7 payroll for a 10 year span.
    Two points on this:

1. Have you seen the list of possible 2014 free agents? Slim pickings at best.

2. The problem with the Wilpons is, was and probably always will be that while they spent, they only went to a certain point. Their stated goal was "meaningful games in September" not "winning a championship". There is a big difference.

I am in no way fans of the Wilpons, the Three Stooges as I like to refer to them. However, I'm not a fan of giving 30 year old 4th outfielders 3 years and almost 30 million, either.

To make things worse, we sucked up to Bud Selig and never went overslot, now there are no decent free agents to spend money on (assuming we ever have it) and you CAN'T go overslot either in the draft OR in the international market or else you lose picks. We get royally screwed because of some idiotic loyalty to a small market thinking former owner who could not build a winner in over twenty years as an owner.

At least is appears that Sandy has some kind of plan going on.
    I really should develop a sig, huh?

vCash
    Any plan Sandy has will be ruined by the Coupons small market thinking.

vCash
    Of course it was, no dissent...
    You really do love acting the martyr, don’tcha? Let me say, it doesn’t suit you.

All you have to do is spend five minutes in this forum to see that there is plenty of “dissent”. You like trying to pretend that everyone else is a blind Pollyanna, while you are the only one that sees what lying, thieving scumbags the Wilpons are. Just ain’t so. There are tons of people on your side of the argument, only difference is most of the others don’t make their points quite as abrasively as you.

One of the reasons I rarely have come around lately (aside from this being the busy busy time at work) is because it just isn’t fun for me anymore. It’s become a circle jerk of people trying to “out-negative” each other. It gets real old real fast.

And I’m not saying people don’t have reasons for their negativity. Just saying that it’s kind of silly when you spend weeks hearing ‘They won’t sign Wright…They won’t sign Wright…No way, he’s as good as gone…’ Oh, wait, they signed Wright? ‘Of course, they had to…It’s strictly a PR move…Just signed him to sell tickets…Means nothing…We still suck…Blah, blah, blah…’ (<<< Just one example.)

Anyways, Merry Christmas, everyone.

Even you, Mcfly.

Hopelessly Devoted

vCash

That's what I'm saying though. Spending this offseason would be foolish. But next year wheeler, Harvey, TDA will all be in the majors and the team will be ready to atleast begin competing. We need to trade for a young outfielder this year.

Next off season we need to target a free agent outfielder though. The final part of rebuilding is reinvesting into the team.

Presenting the 2013 New York Mets Outfield.

vCash

Angry Upton

ever met fan wants an allstar for these weak trade proposals.familia,mejia,and flores would never get it done.maybe something like ruben tejada,noah synder guaard,brandon nimmo,and either wilmer flores or one of there other pitching prospects would get it done.the bottom line is the mets will never be in play for upton because they have no money and this conversation is pointless.they will give you the excuse there system cant afford a trade like this but on the other hand they will tell you the free agent market is to rich for them while still admitting they have no outfielders on there roster.there telling that there not punting 2013 yet the only good move they made can not be judged untill 2015 and have told you basically outside of scott hairston dont expect anything else.so wait a minute you expect me to believe with the yankees and other big teams in play for hunter pence the mets or going to outbid these teams??why would they not go out and get upton who is getting paid 39 million for three years is younger,cheaper, and more talented then anyone in 2014 and they dont have to fight any other team off to get him.would you rather pay upton 2 for 26 or hunter pence 5 for 90 or god knows what for curtis granderson who by the way will be what 32 or 33 already?I will tell you why there lieing to all mets fans and should be forced to sell if the only thing they see when 2014 comes is some mid level players.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMet6986 View Post
    Two points on this:

1. Have you seen the list of possible 2014 free agents? Slim pickings at best.

2. The problem with the Wilpons is, was and probably always will be that while they spent, they only went to a certain point. Their stated goal was "meaningful games in September" not "winning a championship". There is a big difference.

I am in no way fans of the Wilpons, the Three Stooges as I like to refer to them. However, I'm not a fan of giving 30 year old 4th outfielders 3 years and almost 30 million, either.

To make things worse, we sucked up to Bud Selig and never went overslot, now there are no decent free agents to spend money on (assuming we ever have it) and you CAN'T go overslot either in the draft OR in the international market or else you lose picks. We get royally screwed because of some idiotic loyalty to a small market thinking former owner who could not build a winner in over twenty years as an owner.

At least is appears that Sandy has some kind of plan going on.
    Cory Hart
    Martin Prado
    Shin-Soo Choo
    Jacoby Ellsbury

That is just the list off the top of my head. Now thee is no problem giving any of these 30 year old players contracts.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JG1117 View Post
    The Arizona Diamondbacks have been looking to trade Justin Upton this offseason.The trade to hopefully get Upton would be
    Mets give: Familia, Flores (who is not needed because the Mets have Wright), and either Mejia.
    Besides overvaluing Familia and Mejia the DBacks have a surplus of starting pitching bdywise if not qualitywise....they need a 3Bman with EChavez in reserve---see my post re trading Murphy in a AZ deal.
    Bob
    Met fan since 1969

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast