Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 81
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    6,528
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    Pretending that a long-term deal for a franchise player they could not afford to let get away, is the same as payroll, you know what you're talking about too.
    If they wanted to really cut payroll, you think signing a player to 130 million is a wise decision?

    Are you joking?

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Hill Valley, 1985.
    Posts
    7,792
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by BradHolt4CYoung View Post
    If they wanted to really cut payroll, you think signing a player to 130 million is a wise decision?

    Are you joking?

    Are you joking?

    They've cut payroll, they've been cutting it for years,where have you been?

    DW doesn't add a dollar to payroll, in fact in 2013, he's cheaper than he used to be. Over the course of his deal he's making $17.25 per annum, which it not THAT much more than he was making prior to the extension.

    Besides they just 'saved' money on Dickey's extension, plus the $5M he owed next year.

    So really, if you look at these two guys per annum for the next say 3 years, the Mets actually saved money.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    10,420
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    Are you joking?

    They've cut payroll, they've been cutting it for years,where have you been?

    DW doesn't add a dollar to payroll, in fact in 2013, he's cheaper than he used to be. Over the course of his deal he's making $17.25 per annum, which it not THAT much more than he was making prior to the extension.

    Besides they just 'saved' money on Dickey's extension, plus the $5M he owed next year.

    So really, if you look at these two guys per annum for the next say 3 years, the Mets actually saved money.


    Plus bucks 6mill but i get what u r sayin
    if u like mixed martial arts check out the psd mma forum

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Hill Valley, 1985.
    Posts
    7,792
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by macattack View Post
    Plus bucks 6mill but i get what u r sayin
    Exactly, DW's deal is pretty much a stand pat move in PAYROLL terms.

    Where is the new money? where is the flexibility?

    It doesn't exist.


    With RA, circumstance aligned with necessity, they didn't want to resign him, and they had a credible reason not too (we're not winning any time soon) and a good offer came along. Bingo.

    But behind the facade of 'rebuilding', they're still trying to get down to a low payroll number every year first and foremost, that's the driver here.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    6,741
    vCash
    1500
    I would do Familia and low A spec with potential for Kubel. He did hit 30 homers last year. If he can come here and add like 20-25 to our lineup, id be happy
    “It's still a game and you'd rather win it than lose it.”



    There is An Angel in CitiField- LETS GO METS!


    Proud to be PSD's "The Kid"


    New York Giants-2012 World Champions

    SuperMann #10, Superman wears Eli Pajamas

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Asheville, NC
    Posts
    29,139
    vCash
    1500
    I don't know how you are saving money when David Wright wasn't on the payroll 2 years from now and now he is. That is cutting that is adding.

    I don't know why anyone is still harping about the payroll. We know they are cutting it to get the most out of 2014. I refuse to beat this dead horse again.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Asheville, NC
    Posts
    29,139
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    Exactly, DW's deal is pretty much a stand pat move in PAYROLL terms.

    Where is the new money? where is the flexibility?

    It doesn't exist.


    With RA, circumstance aligned with necessity, they didn't want to resign him, and they had a credible reason not too (we're not winning any time soon) and a good offer came along. Bingo.

    But behind the facade of 'rebuilding', they're still trying to get down to a low payroll number every year first and foremost, that's the driver here.
    When you rebuild you usually cut payroll. Rebuilding isn't a front so they can try to hide the fact they are cutting payroll.

    They have made it pretty clear for the past 2 years what i going on. They are getting read of dead weight contracts while letting their minor league system develop. Once those remaining bad contracts are gone they plan to spend money.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Asheville, NC
    Posts
    29,139
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    Pretending that a long-term deal for a franchise player they could not afford to let get away, is the same as payroll, you know what you're talking about too.
    Give me a ****ing break. You would be the first person on here to start blasting ownership if they didn't resign Wright. As soon as they do it turns into they had no choice.

    Do you see what you did there?

    You put ownership in a position where they couldn't win in your eyes. If they let Wright walk or traded they would have been cheap owners who don;t care about winning.

    However since they resigned him it was a move they HAD because of ticket sales and PR

    Things were so peaceful when you were on your vacation for throwing your temper tantrum and wetting your bed.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Hill Valley, 1985.
    Posts
    7,792
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by metsbulls1025 View Post
    Give me a ****ing break. You would be the first person on here to start blasting ownership if they didn't resign Wright. As soon as they do it turns into they had no choice.

    Do you see what you did there?

    You put ownership in a position where they couldn't win in your eyes. If they let Wright walk or traded they would have been cheap owners who don;t care about winning.

    However since they resigned him it was a move they HAD because of ticket sales and PR

    Things were so peaceful when you were on your vacation for throwing your temper tantrum and wetting your bed.

    I didn't do that at all. They did the right thing with DW, I applauded it. They had to, but they did so, they clearly wanted DW back in a way they did nit want Jose back.

    Sounds like you're the one wetting the bed...


    Yeah I had a little holiday, funny how everyone insults me and I'm the one getting banned. Perhaps I need to learn to hang off Sandy's nuts.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Hill Valley, 1985.
    Posts
    7,792
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by metsbulls1025 View Post
    When you rebuild you usually cut payroll. Rebuilding isn't a front so they can try to hide the fact they are cutting payroll.

    They have made it pretty clear for the past 2 years what i going on. They are getting read of dead weight contracts while letting their minor league system develop. Once those remaining bad contracts are gone they plan to spend money.

    I didn't say it was a front. So you can stop right there.

    They have made it pretty clear, they wanted a much lower payroll and to hell with the team, that's what has happened.

    Where have they said they plan to spend money?

    What bad contracts? I see Johan and that's it, and he's gone after this year, why can't they sign an OF'er or some relievers with the $$$ saved on KROD, RA, Beltran, Bay, Castillo, Perez et al

    Do you really believe that all of a sudden as the calender turns to October 2013 that magically everything is going to be different? that austerity baseball is over?

    Really?

  11. #41
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,818
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by metsbulls1025 View Post
    When you rebuild you usually cut payroll. Rebuilding isn't a front so they can try to hide the fact they are cutting payroll.

    They have made it pretty clear for the past 2 years what i going on. They are getting read of dead weight contracts while letting their minor league system develop. Once those remaining bad contracts are gone they plan to spend money.
    Good points but they also have to show the ability to reinvest in the team. Your only referencing one aspect of rebuilding.

    Now that SA has the young players in place such as TDA, Wheeler and Harvey he now has to fill in holes via free agency or trade. We have a complete infield and pitching staff.

    It would not be wise to sign a free agent outfielder this off season but SA should trade for a young outfielder.

    Kubel would be a disaster as a Met. I don't even wanna hear his brought up. Its a big outfield and we need someone with a good glove and a solid bat. Not a poor fielding, low BA aging power hitter that will lose his 5-10 homers in citi.

    Guys the Mets should consider are Parra, Eaton, Brentz and even Upton (although prob out of the Mets price range prospect wise).

    Once you add another outfielder we should have a solid foundation by next season and that is where SA and the Wilpons need to show us they will finish the rebuilding stage by adding a free agent outfielder and maybe relievers or a closer.

    Pence, Gomez, Ellsbury, Young and Hart can all be decent fits.


    Presenting the 2013 New York Mets Outfield.

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,818
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    I didn't say it was a front. So you can stop right there.

    They have made it pretty clear, they wanted a much lower payroll and to hell with the team, that's what has happened.

    Where have they said they plan to spend money?

    What bad contracts? I see Johan and that's it, and he's gone after this year, why can't they sign an OF'er or some relievers with the $$$ saved on KROD, RA, Beltran, Bay, Castillo, Perez et al

    Do you really believe that all of a sudden as the calender turns to October 2013 that magically everything is going to be different? that austerity baseball is over?

    Really?
    Dude I am all for spending on a big bat but the only player available this year that really fits them going forward is Bourne.

    The Ross and Hairstons of the world are great as a last piece on a playoff caliber team but wouldn't be difference makers for the Mets.

    Next years free agent market is much stronger for outfielders and the Mets should also have a better view of where exactly their team is.


    Presenting the 2013 New York Mets Outfield.

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Hill Valley, 1985.
    Posts
    7,792
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Rio40 View Post
    Dude I am all for spending on a big bat but the only player available this year that really fits them going forward is Bourne.

    The Ross and Hairstons of the world are great as a last piece on a playoff caliber team but wouldn't be difference makers for the Mets.

    Next years free agent market is much stronger for outfielders and the Mets should also have a better view of where exactly their team is.

    We don't have a .500 team right now, but we somehow will be a playoff calibre team in 2014?

    Ross and Hairston would be the best OF on our team hands down, but it's pointless signing either?

    We know exactly where this team is now, it's not good enough to finish above 4th, it won't be next year either, YET you all believe that as if my magic we will have a contending team in 2104?

    Makes zero sense.

    You all so want to believe in this magically dreamy future will these prospects that you're all swooning over like teenage girls do over the beib, that you've lost touch with reality.

    It all just magically falls into place in 2014 form some reason, from a 75 win type team to a 90+ WS contender, just like that.

    This hand me down narrative of 'We're not spending till we have a contender, its pointless unless you can compete' has you all spellbound.

    You haven't even questioned how a 75 win type team (for years)becomes 90 wins plus team. It just happens because that's what Metsblog et al have spun you.

  14. #44
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    27,900
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by GottaBelieve View Post
    Yeah I have to agree that it will be fun watching the 2013 Mets with so many young players trying to make their mark - with absolutely no expectations of winning.

    It will feel like year long spring training. And to be honest, I don't think many fans will mind now that the plan does seem more clear.
    That is exactly how I feel.


    “Ninety percent I’ll spend on good times, women, and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent I’ll probably waste.”
    - Tug McGraw, on his plans for his $75,000 salary

  15. #45
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    51,885
    vCash
    1500
    Why are we so concerned about competiting next year? It's not happening. We are rebuilding, and it takes time. We are going to suck for one more year at least so we can get a higher draft pick that is Top 10 protected.

    That way, next year we can sign mutliple high profile FA without losing a 1st round pick. That should be the goal right now, re-building the farm system to better our future and spend when the opportunity deems worthy.

    The only guy that fits our rebuilding plan in the FA market is Dariel Alvarez. I'm not in favor of trading future assets for an outfielder right now just so we can compete in 2013. Young quality outfielders are expensive so I'd rather not go that route.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •