Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sauronthepower View Post
    So we're now excusing Joba and Pineda as one time stupid decisions?
    It's not about excusing their behavior, because drinking and driving is inexcusable, but there is a difference in degree.

Wouldn't you agree that there's a difference between the guy who goes to a bar, has a few too many drinks and makes a stupid decision to drive and the guy who connects with a heroin dealer, purchases illegal drugs, needles, etc and then chooses to inject himself repeatedly?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by theslick1 View Post
    It's not about excusing their behavior, because drinking and driving is inexcusable, but there is a difference in degree.

Wouldn't you agree that there's a difference between the guy who goes to a bar, has a few too many drinks and makes a stupid decision to drive and the guy who connects with a heroin dealer, purchases illegal drugs, needles, etc and then chooses to inject himself repeatedly?
    Again, I'm not setting Hamilton up as the golden child. IMO if he could've been had for a minimal 4 year, high expense contract, then I think his work history trumps his personal history. My point is that if we're going to slam Hamilton we might as well get on Joba and Pineda as well lest we create a moral double standard to excuse ignoring work history.

Ry's earlier post of Hamiltons playoff numbers would be the overriding concern in giving him any contract IMO. And again, I'm not setting him up like the wonder child, but I hardly think that an aging Kevin Youkilis is the magic turn around pill that Cashman ER al are trying to mollify fans with.

Would you have signed AJ at 1 year, 7 mil. Basically at the equivalent pay and better offensive replacement than Martin?

And so, a new era begins.....

vCash
    Again, I'm not setting Hamilton up as the golden child. IMO if he could've been had for a minimal 4 year, high expense contract, then I think his work history trumps his personal history. My point is that if we're going to slam Hamilton we might as well get on Joba and Pineda as well lest we create a moral double standard to excuse ignoring work history.

Ry's earlier post of Hamiltons playoff numbers would be the overriding concern in giving him any contract IMO. And again, I'm not setting him up like the wonder child, but I hardly think that an aging Kevin Youkilis is the magic turn around pill that Cashman ER al are trying to mollify fans with.

Would you have signed AJ at 1 year, 7 mil. Basically at the equivalent pay and better offensive replacement than Martin?
    I was in favor of signing AJ but I was looking only at his offensive production. These days, the Yankees value defense at catcher more than offense and AJ really isn't that guy. His "most hated guy in baseball" persona may have also been a factor but I don't know that to be the case. Ozzie Guillen once said that if you play against AJ, you hate him, and if you play with him, you hate him a little less.

vCash
    I was in favor of signing AJ but I was looking only at his offensive production. These days, the Yankees value defense at catcher more than offense and AJ really isn't that guy. His "most hated guy in baseball" persona may have also been a factor but I don't know that to be the case. Ozzie Guillen once said that if you play against AJ, you hate him, and if you play with him, you hate him a little less.
    Personally I would've liked that fire even though I have derided Swishers bs in the past so call me a hypocrite. I think though that with our numerous offensive questions getting picky over a catchers defensive potential is far down the list of team needs right now.

But, again, that's just my opinion.

vCash
    Hey look......Nick Swisher stinks.

Carry on...
    Leo's Thought Of The Day

Bummer. The Core Be No More.

vCash
    LMAO!
    "I'm an administrator. I'm a good listener. I would not pass myself off as an evaluator of talent"

- Brian Cashman, GM of the Yankees

vCash
    So we're now excusing Joba and Pineda as one time stupid decisions?

Exactly what I meant before.

Look, my glass house is flimsier than most and I'm not pontificating as a MADD public service announcement. But let's be fair. Joba has had 6 seasons to get it together. That's a pretty good work sample, not the small sample size you are attempting to put forth. Now I will certainly agree that Cashmans constant flip-flopping on Chamberlains role has had as much of a detrimental effect on his development than anything Joba has done to himself but the resume is what it is at this point and it's NOT one year of failure.
    i don't think anyone would give joba 125 million either tho,
    also i'm sure joba doesn't come back when his contract is up.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrTK9lvkCQg

My tribute to edwin Encarrrrnacioooooon...... Been an amazing fantasy replacement whle arod was hurt

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by carnage101 View Post
    i don't think anyone would give joba 125 million either tho,
    also i'm sure joba doesn't come back when his contract is up.
    Hopefully you're right about #2. I was willing to take on #1 at 4 years but it would've been a hard and risky pill to swallow ill readily admit.

vCash
    His defense is at least decent, no?

I find it funny that we are going to talk about valuing defensive catchers, and then look at the absolute crap we are going into the season with. And I'm sorry, but Martin's D was highly overrated. He wasn't really good defensively, either.

I was always for signing AJ, I thought the team could use his personality, for good and bad. And there was absolutely no question he represented a very large upgrade over what we have right now, or even maybe what we had. And I say that regardless of whether he continues to show the power from last year or not. Really, I can't understand why we weren't in on him

vCash
    I will need therapy if Joba plays somewhere else. He's my idol.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JobaRules26 View Post
    I will need therapy if Joba plays somewhere else. He's my idol.
    New sig name?!?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jd25213 View Post
    I find it funny that most people here hate Swisher and act like this is no loss, yet he probably was the third best player on this roster last year. He was ahead of guys like CC, Arod, Mo, Jeter, Teix, Kuroda, and even Itchy. Only two that were better were Cano and Grandy. I'm not overvaluing him, it's just the facts. Plus, he was very consistent. We knew he would do well in the regular season, but would suck in the postseason.
    I'm just curious how he was better than Jeter?, who had one of his best years ever. And how he was better than CC or Kuroda?, both extremely clutch pitchers last year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YEDB90 View Post
    Here's why I have "beef" with Swisher:

Going on and on about his love for New York and how he and his wife were rich and the new deal wouldnt be about money.....then wants a Werth type contract.

Then he goes on about how it hurt to be booed. Well, Nick, if you and your fellow teammates weren't God awful offensively, maybe you wouldnt be booed. It's part of sports though and if you dont like it, dont play.

The standing at home plate smiling after he struck out and proceeding to walk to the dugout smiling and shaking his head is what bothered me the most. I dont think cutting his wrists was necessary, but show SOME negative emotion. I understand that you need to forget mistakes often in sports, having played them myself, but come on. How often do you see Jeter smile after flubbing in a big spot? How about Miggy? Pujols? Fielder? Votto? Trout?
    Probably the most I've agreed with anyone about Swish. I played organized sports all my life and was pissed if I messed up and didn't want to smile until I did something positive. And of course I didn't get paid. When you smile and laugh after you let your team down in a certain situation, your team does not appreciate that, the people who are paying you millions of dollars don't appreciate that, and the die hard fans don't appreciate that. Simple as that. Most of the people who feel different probably don't understand because they have never played organized sports. Not saying all but most. Swisher wanted out too, he couldnt handle the pressure in NY anymore,

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by marciano42 View Post
    Probably the most I've agreed with anyone about Swish. I played organized sports all my life and was pissed if I messed up and didn't want to smile until I did something positive. And of course I didn't get paid. When you smile and laugh after you let your team down in a certain situation, your team does not appreciate that, the people who are paying you millions of dollars don't appreciate that, and the die hard fans don't appreciate that. Simple as that. Most of the people who feel different probably don't understand because they have never played organized sports. Not saying all but most. Swisher wanted out too, he couldnt handle the pressure in NY anymore,
    I think Swishers laugh was self effacing more than anything else.

But I agree that there probably was a time and a place a few years ago where he should've manned up and canned it until he produced.

vCash
    I just wanted to bump this thread one last time before year end to say to all the Swisher lovers:

Haha! I told u he sucked and nobody worth a crap would want him!

Ok, I feel better now.
    Leo's Thought Of The Day

Bummer. The Core Be No More.

Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast