Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

The Case for Ronnie Mustelier

The bench, particularly a right-handed hitting outfielder, and the DH spot have been the Yankees’ primary areas of focus these last few weeks and that will probably continue until pitchers and catchers report in five weeks. The free agent market still has several DH-type players available and the club does have Matt Diaz, Russ Canzler, and Melky Mesa in-house as candidates for that right-handed outfield bat role. They also have a fourth internal option in Ronnie Mustelier, who Michael Eder at The Yankee Analysts wrote about this week and a number of people have emailed me about these last few months. I figured it was time to chime in.

First things first, we have to understand that we know very little about Mustelier. We do know that he defected from Cuba in late-2009 and signed with the Yankees in June 2011 thanks to Matt Eddy at Baseball America. We also know that he turned 28 this past August, hit .301/.407/.517 in Cuba from 2007-2009, and is a career .324/.378/.497 hitter across four minor league levels because that’s what Baseball-Reference tells us. He doesn’t have a platoon split according to Minor League Central, and his overall strikeout rate (13.0%) is pretty great in 656 minor league plate appearances.

We have to remember that he was old for every level, however. Mustelier’s a right-handed hitter who has played second and third bases as well as both outfield corners since signing with New York. The vast majority of his 2012 season was spent in left. If MiLB.com’s bio information is to be trusted, we also know he’s a little portly at 5-foot-10 and 210 lbs.

That’s pretty much it. The closest thing we have to an actually scouting report on Mustelier is this collection of quotes from VP of Baseball Ops Mark Newman back in early-October (Baseball America subs. req’d)…

“He has a very short stroke and pretty good balance … He strikes out once in every seven at-bats. His walks are below-average but he puts the ball in play … He played third, second, left and right … We are trying to find out where his best defensive position is and what our needs are … He can run and cover ground … He can also play right. He improved defensively over the course of the season.”

Now, that said, the Yankees should obviously give Mustelier a long look in Spring Training in a few weeks. He received all of two plate appearances in big league camp last year, one fewer than Austin Krum and half as many as Walt Ibarra.

Mustelier just wrapped up a strong winter ball showing — .284/.345/.471 with nine homers and nine steals in 55 games down in Mexico — and finished the 2012 calendar year with a combined .304/.364/.482 batting line in over 700 plate appearances in three different leagues (Double-A, Triple-A, winter ball). When a guy that close to the big leagues hits like that, he deserves a look in camp. I definitely expect the Yankees to invite him to Major League Spring Training, for what it’s worth.
    http://riveraveblues.com/2013/01/the...er-post-81189/

I think Mustelier should definitely be given a shot to compete for the right handed bat spot that the lineup/bench will need for the upcoming season. This of course barring any trades for the likes of Mike Morse. Thoughts?

| .372 AVG | 0 HR | 2 RBI | 6 SB | .438 OBP | .442 SLG | .394 wOBA |

vCash
    I know nothing but what I just read.

Sure, who not.....I actually think all those kids should get a shot each spring.
    Leo's Thought Of The Day

Jake. Future Buffet Champion and New Leo ManCrush.

vCash
    I was surprised we didn't see Mustelier last year and instead gave ABs to guys like McGehee and Steve Pearce. The guy has hit at every level. Give him a shot.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by theslick1 View Post
    I was surprised we didn't see Mustelier last year and instead gave ABs to guys like McGehee and Steve Pearce. The guy has hit at every level. Give him a shot.
    I really wanted him to get a shot last season. I mean, there is no way he could have done worse than the likes of Steve Pearce.

5. 01-10-2013, 03:30 PM
    Reason
    Double post.

vCash
    This
    Nick

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Clipper View Post
    I really wanted him to get a shot last season. I mean, there is no way he could have done worse than the likes of Steve Pearce.
    Pearce hit .160 for the Yankees and McGehee hit .151.

Mustelier hit .303 for AAA and .353 in AA. He deserved a shot.

vCash
    Why wasn't Mesa given a fair shot?

They give Pearce and McGehee have 50+ at bats and get .150 from them and very little power.
    Nick

vCash

Without question. And with no right handed outfield bat, he seems to make the most sense at the moment especially since he has been performing well in AAA.

vCash

But his batting average was going down with a higher level. The idiots around Cashman probably said he would hit just .210 in the majors and decide to take a chance on somebody with major league experience, thus Pearce and McGehee...
    Nick

vCash
    Trade him for Brandon Webb.

And so, a new era begins.....

vCash
    I called for this guy to have a shot last year in spring training.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RCSownsU View Post
    I called for this guy to have a shot last year in spring training.

I think he should get an even closer look this spring training. All he has done is be productive in the minors. I'd at least like to see how he fares at the major league level.

vCash
    Just bring up one of the stud kids.......just one.

What's the big fkn deal.?
    Leo's Thought Of The Day

Jake. Future Buffet Champion and New Leo ManCrush.

vCash
    I agree Leo, even Francesa said to try the kids yesterday......
    Nick

vCash
    Bring up the Cheese!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast