Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 90
  1. #61
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Hill Valley, 1985.
    Posts
    7,792
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by nymetsrule View Post
    No, but I surely don't want to hear "next year" every.single.year. When do I get to hear, "this year!"? For the past 5 and a half years I've been on PSD, all I've ever heard is, "They are deferring money to next year./There are no good free agents this year/Jason Bay is better than Matt Holliday." I'm so tired of it. I'm tired of signing Trot Nixon and Gary Matthews Jr. and Jeff Conine in hopes that "next year" will be better!
    Apparently everything just works out in 2014, the team is great the Coupons spend like drunken sailors and we win, just like that.

    This is what the team has sold to fans, and many on this board have bought it hook line and sinker without any evidence whatsoever, they haven't spent a new nickel on this team YET AGAIN, and they have saved money on RA and DW collectively over the next few years.

    I can't believe fans of a baseball team actually believe spending no money whatsoever year after year is a good plan. The idea that it's a waste of time trying to improve a 74 win team short term at little cost, is anathema to me. They're just tanking year after year after year, how can that be good?
    Last edited by Marty Mcfly; 12-25-2012 at 08:32 AM.

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,720
    vCash
    1500
    OK, smartass, who would you have "spent" on?

    Shane Victorino?
    Cody Ross?
    Josh Hamilton?

    Give me a break.

    Spending money does not guarantee a damn thing.

    Now, I'm not a Wilpon apologist, personally I can't stand them.

    But I am also objective enough to know that there were no options worth the money they were given. I'd rather spend money wisely than like a moron.
    I really should develop a sig, huh?

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    6,560
    vCash
    1500
    Yeah spending money has worked out so great for us the past 5 years.

    Johan, Krod, Ollie, Bay, Castillo....look at all we won with those contracts!

    You guys act like we are never gonna spend any money again when in reality the Mets were around a top 5 payroll for most of the past decade.

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    22,588
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by BradHolt4CYoung View Post
    Yeah spending money has worked out so great for us the past 5 years.

    Johan, Krod, Ollie, Bay, Castillo....look at all we won with those contracts!

    You guys act like we are never gonna spend any money again when in reality the Mets were around a top 5 payroll for most of the past decade.
    Johan was the only signing that gave us return, though. All of the others were trash. Do you not know how many good FA there were since 2006 that really could have helped our team that we passed over to sign someone "just a little cheaper"?

    I'm not talking about aimlessly spending money and getting tied up into damaging contracts. I am talking about SIGNING AN OUTFIELDER when we OBVIOUSLY ****ING NEED ONE. It isn't like I want us to sign a 3B or a 1B. I want to watch this 74 win team and actually have a chance to enjoy a damn game once in a while instead of waiting until "next year when we'll be good." I enjoyed the first have of last season, we played so well and it was exciting. I knew they weren't going to win, but it was enjoyable. I'd rather that again this year than some garbage team that MIGHT STILL SUCK THE NEXT YEAR.

    We are fans, all we need to care about is enjoying a game with family and friends. We don't need to hassle ourselves with contracts and finances. How desperate are we getting where we actually sell out a season as fans in asinine hopes of winning the next?

    The Mets are going on 7 years since 2006. When Beltran struck out I shut off my TV and cried. I loved that team so much and watched so many games that year. 2007 I cried when we collapsed. 2008 I was upset but it happened before. 2009 we were ****. 2010 we were ****. 2011 we were ****. 2012 we were ****. Now you want me to accept 2013 as being **** because magically we will get better in 2014? I've heard that before.
    Last edited by nymetsrule; 12-25-2012 at 02:02 PM.

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    6,560
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by nymetsrule View Post
    Johan was the only signing that gave us return, though. All of the others were trash. Do you not know how many good FA there were since 2006 that really could have helped our team that we passed over to sign someone "just a little cheaper"?

    I'm not talking about aimlessly spending money and getting tied up into damaging contracts. I am talking about SIGNING AN OUTFIELDER when we OBVIOUSLY ****ING NEED ONE. It isn't like I want us to sign a 3B or a 1B. I want to watch this 74 win team and actually have a chance to enjoy a damn game once in a while instead of waiting until "next year when we'll be good." I enjoyed the first have of last season, we played so well and it was exciting. I knew they weren't going to win, but it was enjoyable. I'd rather that again this year than some garbage team that MIGHT STILL SUCK THE NEXT YEAR.

    We are fans, all we need to care about is enjoying a game with family and friends. We don't need to hassle ourselves with contracts and finances. How desperate are we getting where we actually sell out a season as fans in asinine hopes of winning the next?

    The Mets are going on 7 years since 2006. When Beltran struck out I shut off my TV and cried. I loved that team so much and watched so many games that year. 2007 I cried when we collapsed. 2008 I was upset but it happened before. 2009 we were ****. 2010 we were ****. 2011 we were ****. 2012 we were ****. Now you want me to accept 2013 as being **** because magically we will get better in 2014? I've heard that before.
    If you can't understand the business side of the game then there is no point in having this discussion.

    What OF do you want us to over spend for so we can win 75 games this year? Cody Ross? He'd make you happy? 3/26? Or the 32 year old Swisher for the next 4 seasons at 13mil a year?

    What do you mean magically get better in 2014?

    We currently have a pretty nice group of young players/prospects who will be better suited to compete in 2014/2015 rather than 2013.

    In 2009 we had the SECOND HIGHEST MLB PAYROLL
    2010 we had the FIFTH HIGHEST
    2011 we had the SEVENTH HIGHEST

    ...You wanna just keep spending while lower payroll teams are the ones making the playoffs while we chill in 4th place?

    Because of the FA contracts Omar gave Sandy has been tasked to get us out of the mess. Its really not a hard concept. Im really disappointed in your lack of common sense.

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    22,588
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by BradHolt4CYoung View Post
    If you can't understand the business side of the game then there is no point in having this discussion.

    What OF do you want us to over spend for so we can win 75 games this year? Cody Ross? He'd make you happy? 3/26? Or the 32 year old Swisher for the next 4 seasons at 13mil a year?

    What do you mean magically get better in 2014?

    We currently have a pretty nice group of young players/prospects who will be better suited to compete in 2014/2015 rather than 2013.

    In 2009 we had the SECOND HIGHEST MLB PAYROLL
    2010 we had the FIFTH HIGHEST
    2011 we had the SEVENTH HIGHEST

    ...You wanna just keep spending while lower payroll teams are the ones making the playoffs while we chill in 4th place?

    Because of the FA contracts Omar gave Sandy has been tasked to get us out of the mess. Its really not a hard concept. Im really disappointed in your lack of common sense.
    It is possible to spend and develop just as equally. As long as we spend on ACTUALLY TALENTED PLAYERS we will win. It is simple as that. Your argument is that the Mets payroll was high and we didn't win, therefore high payroll=/=winning. This is true, because high payroll doesn't always equal high talent. So, we need high talent, which HAS to come at the cost of a higher payroll unless we develop every.single.prospect. into a major league player. You know that cannot happen. Sure, Wheeler is going to be good. d'Arnuad is going to be good. We have a few other guys, but we need to BUY talent.

    A $100,000,000+ payroll team has won the World Series or gotten to it at least 10 out of 11 of the past seasons. How do you not see a connection? Talent has to be bought and developed, not just developed.

    This is New York City, not Seattle. It is not that I don't understand the business side, but it has no relevance to my fanship. I pay inflated ticket and food prices no matter what product is on the field, so why should I give a rat's *** how much to give Cody Ross or Michael Bourn or Matt Holliday as long as we have them? If that extra $20 million on payroll ruins the team then there are more serious problems with the franchise than what we see.

    You're forgetting. Our 2006 team had some big free agents on it, and it was one of the best teams we've ever had. Ever.
    Last edited by nymetsrule; 12-25-2012 at 04:03 PM.

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Hill Valley, 1985.
    Posts
    7,792
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMet6986 View Post
    OK, smartass, who would you have "spent" on?

    Shane Victorino?
    Cody Ross?
    Josh Hamilton?

    Give me a break.

    Spending money does not guarantee a damn thing.

    Now, I'm not a Wilpon apologist, personally I can't stand them.

    But I am also objective enough to know that there were no options worth the money they were given. I'd rather spend money wisely than like a moron.

    Now tell me who you are going to sign?

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Hill Valley, 1985.
    Posts
    7,792
    vCash
    1500
    Now you want me to accept 2013 as being **** because magically we will get better in 2014? I've heard that before.


    >>>That is EXACTLY what the apologists think. It all magically comes good in 2014.

    Then people who claim FA is a waste of money this year, want to spend on on FA class that will be every bit as bad next year...

    How does that make sense?

    Oh, sorry, I forgot everything is different in 2014, why? it just is....ok?

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    54,750
    vCash
    1500
    Maybe not 2014, it could be the year after depending on what they decide to do. We are rebuilding, that does not make me an apologist.

  10. #70
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    10,458
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    Maybe not 2014, it could be the year after depending on what they decide to do. We are rebuilding, that does not make me an apologist.

    No it makes u content with mediocrity.
    if u like mixed martial arts check out the psd mma forum

  11. #71
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    54,750
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by macattack View Post
    No it makes u content with mediocrity.
    It makes me patient.

  12. #72
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    6,560
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    Now you want me to accept 2013 as being **** because magically we will get better in 2014? I've heard that before.


    >>>That is EXACTLY what the apologists think. It all magically comes good in 2014.

    Then people who claim FA is a waste of money this year, want to spend on on FA class that will be every bit as bad next year...

    How does that make sense?

    Oh, sorry, I forgot everything is different in 2014, why? it just is....ok?
    Even if the FA market was as good this year as it is next year....we are better off waiting because:

    Zack Wheeler and TDA won't be rookies in 2014. They will be key parts of our team. Same with Wilmer Flores
    Matt Harvey, Gee, Niese will all be in there prime.
    Santana's contact comes off the books. That adds an extra 20mil in free cap space

  13. #73
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    685
    vCash
    3000
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    Blah blah blah blah blah blah Mets should spent foolishly to have more dead weight. Over pay average players so they cripple us when they getting paid big bucks and not producing. Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

    There isn't an optimum time to spend, just like you can't plan winning, ya'll are just assuming the Mets will win 2014 already, just like you're assuming the Mets will spend next Winter.
    Think on it this way, do you think the Coupons spent 3 years chopping payroll like maniacs, just to start throwing money around on top tier FA's?

    I don't.

    They have slashed payroll down to $90M or less, they talk endlessley about flex, yet they still won't even sign a few reasonable FA's. It's BS.
    Why assume they are going to lose. They competed last year with Sandy's system and he is developing more depth to stay competitive when injuries happen.

    If you assume they are going to lose are you really a fan.

  14. #74
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    685
    vCash
    3000
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    Now tell me who you are going to sign?
    Tell me who had the two lowest payroll's in the NL east last year.

  15. #75
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Born in Brooklyn, New Jersey now.
    Posts
    1,439
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by sieve00 View Post
    Tell me who had the two lowest payroll's in the NL east last year.
    As you know, the lowesr payroll team in the NL East won the division.
    The next lowest team came in second.
    And the next to the highest came in dead last.

    Are you saying maybe we should cut payroll again this year?
    Or maybe if we cut an additional $5 - $10 million last year we could have competed?
    LOL
    Former B'klyn Dodger fan. Mets Maniac since 1962.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •