Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 90
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    30,606
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by nymetsrule View Post
    Are we gonna like...find some warm body to put out there?

    Hairston can essentially hold us hostage for as much money as he wants considering we have no other options now.
    If Omar were still the GM and Bernie was still supplying the Wilpons with fictitious 18-percent returns, no doubt this would be the case.

    But it's not. It makes zero sense to give someone like Hairston a 3-year contract, which is what I'm hearing he's demanding, not this team anyway. If another team wants to sign him for that, God bless them.

    But this is one case where signing an APH over a player trying to capitalize on a recent surge in his career makes complete sense. Sign Hairston to no more than a 2-year deal. Otherwise, bring in another APH.

    The idea is to build a championship baseball team, not a better mediocre team.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    51,855
    vCash
    1500
    Dariel Alvarez.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Brooklyn to Denver to L.A. to Denver and back to L.A.
    Posts
    16,075
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Metsfan1963 View Post
    When .265 25hr 85 rbi 32 year old outfielders can get 4 years and $56 million, I can't get on the Mets for not signing free agents. And I can see why Hairston wants a nice raise.
    Yup.

    Completely agree.

    Hairston should sign with the highest bidder if he is smart.

    Shea Stadium Scoreboard May 31, 1964



    Mets Dieharder Since '63
    Broncos Dieharder Since '73
    Los Angeles Kings Dieharder Since 1987
    Los Angeles Kings 2012 and 2014 Stanley Cup Champions -
    Denver Rockets/Nuggets Dieharder Since '73

    ua you're gone, but never forgotten, R.I.P.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    5,097
    vCash
    1500
    I think that we should forget about signing Scott Hairston and look to sign his older brother Happy Hairston !!

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Hill Valley, 1985.
    Posts
    7,792
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by nymetsrule View Post
    Are we gonna like...find some warm body to put out there?

    Hairston can essentially hold us hostage for as much money as he wants considering we have no other options now.
    Buh but I was told all I had to do was sit and wait and be patient and I would be rewarded...




    Outside of dealing with RA and DW, two situations that they could not run away from, they have done nothing again. AGAIN.

    Where's this flexibility Spindy was yapping about?


  6. #36
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,818
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    Buh but I was told all I had to do was sit and wait and be patient and I would be rewarded...




    Outside of dealing with RA and DW, two situations that they could not run away from, they have done nothing again. AGAIN.

    Where's this flexibility Spindy was yapping about?

    There is no payroll flexibility. He just can't say my bosses are broke and we can't afford anyone. Not only would he lose his job but may never get another GM position again.

    He has done a good job with the resources he has had.

    With that said its time to pickup an outfielder. Either a young established player or an MLB ready prospect. No more picking up players 3 years away. They got their future catcher, got their future starters and now its time to make the future the present and get an outfielder or 2 so we can be competitive starting next season.

    I don't wanna hear 2015/2016. 2014 we need to start competing for atleast a wildcard.


    Presenting the 2013 New York Mets Outfield.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Hill Valley, 1985.
    Posts
    7,792
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Rio40 View Post
    There is no payroll flexibility. He just can't say my bosses are broke and we can't afford anyone. Not only would he lose his job but may never get another GM position again.

    He has done a good job with the resources he has had.

    With that said its time to pickup an outfielder. Either a young established player or an MLB ready prospect. No more picking up players 3 years away. They got their future catcher, got their future starters and now its time to make the future the present and get an outfielder or 2 so we can be competitive starting next season.

    I don't wanna hear 2015/2016. 2014 we need to start competing for at least a wildcard.

    There's never any flex, it's been the BS line they Coupons have used for years, even before SA, to justify not improving the team a lick.

    Alderson won't need another GM job when he's done here, he'll get a top slot in MLB, just you watch.


    But when I complain about the team doing nothing, I am told 'Shut up and be patient, there are guys still out there' 'season doesn't start till April' 'It's only December'...

    Ok...

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,818
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    There's never any flex, it's been the BS line they Coupons have used for years, even before SA, to justify not improving the team a lick.

    Alderson won't need another GM job when he's done here, he'll get a top slot in MLB, just you watch.


    But when I complain about the team doing nothing, I am told 'Shut up and be patient, there are guys still out there' 'season doesn't start till April' 'It's only December'...

    Ok...

    I dunno I see your point and I see the Optimists points as well. I am somewhere in the Middle.

    For Sandy to prove his worth he needs to go out and trade some lower level prospects along with Familia or Mejia and get a young outfielder. Someone who can step in right away and not some high potential may be good in 3 years type of guys.

    Adam Eaton is on the top of my list. I think he would be a perfect fit. High BA guy with speed and defense. He is the perfect player for citi field. Fits in as either a leadoff or number 2 hitter. Diamondbacks need an MLB ready backend starter. Familia or Gee could fit that description.

    Brentz who I am not as high on could also profile as a guy we could pickup without depleting our minor leagues.

    I would honestly be in favor of trading for both of these guys. Brentz should come fairly cheap.


    Presenting the 2013 New York Mets Outfield.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    22,592
    vCash
    1500
    It's not my job to be the team's financial manager and accountant. If the FA market is setting a high going rate on players, then the Mets have to accept it. I understand that they want to be competitive for 2014+, but my one and only job is to root for them year to year and its getting pretty tough (especially when they say this year won't matter.) I don't give two ***** how much they pay players when I'm still paying the same $20 for a hotdog and drink to watch a team lose with 12,000 other sad fans.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    30,606
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by NY Sports Fan View Post
    I think that we should forget about signing Scott Hairston and look to sign his older brother Happy Hairston !!
    I'd hold out for either Elgin Baylor or Darrel Imhoff.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

  11. #41
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,818
    vCash
    1500
    The truth of the matter is there really weren't any free agents on the market worth bringing in. Why sign Ross or Hairston when its a rebuilding year. We need to see what we have in our young outfielders who last year took a hit in the chin and never got back up. Kirk and others need another shot to see if they can adapt to MLB pitching so we can see if they can be part of the future.


    With that said I have 2 trade propsals I would like your opinions on.

    Mets Get: OF Bryce Brentz

    Right handed hitter with power but a high strikeout rate. Although his strikeouts are high he does have a pretty decent OBP.

    Red Sox Get:

    Lucas Duda - Ortiz and Napoli are both aging. He can be a good fill in for Ortiz who will most likely miss quite a few starts with minor injuries. Duda can also play first base when if they use Napoli to catch a few games or baring and injury.

    Matt Den Dekker - With the possibility of Ellsbury leaving for free agency MDD can be a potential replacement for the hole Ellsbury would leave in CF.

    The Mets may need to throw in another lower level prospect in the deal.

    Mets Get: OF Adam Eaton

    Eaton has hit for a very high average all throughout his minor league career. He also had a crazy high OBP this past year at .456 and can steal bases. He may be costly in prospects but he can start everyday in the outfield this year and has high potential.

    D-Backs Get:

    Familia, Parnell, Tapia/Montero V-Spin and Puello.
    Last edited by Rio40; 12-24-2012 at 11:47 AM.


    Presenting the 2013 New York Mets Outfield.

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    The Heart of Long Island
    Posts
    7,312
    vCash
    1500
    The Sox would not move Brentz for Duda and den Dekker.

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,818
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by MetsFanatic19 View Post
    The Sox would not move Brentz for Duda and den Dekker.
    I stated there would need to be another piece going the Red Sox way.

    I honestly don't see why they wouldn't. Duda has proven he can hit 20 homers in the majors (hit 15 in 401 AB's). With an aging Napoli and Ortiz they could certainly use a player that could step in barring an injury. They also need insurance in case Elsburry signs else where.

    Eaton and Brentz are just 2 players we can most likely get without trading Syndergaard, wheeler, harvey, flores and TDA for.

    Although if the D-Backs insisted on Flores for Eaton the Mets should give in to that.

    Don't forget the expectations everyone had for Duda going into the year. His poor performance as an outfielder def affected his bat.
    Last edited by Rio40; 12-24-2012 at 12:10 PM.


    Presenting the 2013 New York Mets Outfield.

  14. #44
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Hill Valley, 1985.
    Posts
    7,792
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Rio40 View Post
    I dunno I see your point and I see the Optimists points as well. I am somewhere in the Middle.

    For Sandy to prove his worth he needs to go out and trade some lower level prospects along with Familia or Mejia and get a young outfielder. Someone who can step in right away and not some high potential may be good in 3 years type of guys.

    Adam Eaton is on the top of my list. I think he would be a perfect fit. High BA guy with speed and defense. He is the perfect player for citi field. Fits in as either a leadoff or number 2 hitter. Diamondbacks need an MLB ready backend starter. Familia or Gee could fit that description.

    Brentz who I am not as high on could also profile as a guy we could pickup without depleting our minor leagues.

    I would honestly be in favor of trading for both of these guys. Brentz should come fairly cheap.

    They need to start spending some money dude, not robbing Peter to pay Paul all the time, we'll never have the farm system we need if every time we need outside help we have to give prospects away.

    I like the RA trade, but let's not pretend we didn't lose an ace, we did. D'arnaud et al came at a cost, FA's do not come at a cost to your organization beyond money. That's what they need to do.

    But they won't.

  15. #45
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    6,528
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Rio40 View Post
    I stated there would need to be another piece going the Red Sox way.

    I honestly don't see why they wouldn't. Duda has proven he can hit 20 homers in the majors (hit 15 in 401 AB's). With an aging Napoli and Ortiz they could certainly use a player that could step in barring an injury. They also need insurance in case Elsburry signs else where.

    Eaton and Brentz are just 2 players we can most likely get without trading Syndergaard, wheeler, harvey, flores and TDA for.

    Although if the D-Backs insisted on Flores for Eaton the Mets should give in to that.

    Don't forget the expectations everyone had for Duda going into the year. His poor performance as an outfielder def affected his bat.
    Both of your trades are ridiculous...what kind of team trades 1 really good, unproven prospect for a few crappy/average unproven prospects.

    Has a team ever done that? Prospect for prospect deals pretty much never happen...and trading 3-4 for 1? C'mon...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •