Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BradHolt4CYoung View Post
    Both of your trades are ridiculous...what kind of team trades 1 really good, unproven prospect for a few crappy/average unproven prospects.

Has a team ever done that? Prospect for prospect deals pretty much never happen...and trading 3-4 for 1? C'mon...
    Well what do you suppose they do? They don't have an answer for the outfield in the organization. Duda is a first basement and a DH that should only be playing the outfield in a pinch.

The D-Backs need MLB ready young pitchers. Gee and Familia fit that bill. Don't think of it as prospects for prospects think of it more as trading from positions of strength to fill a need. I don't see why the Diamondbacks wouldn't make that trade. They get a late inning reliever in Parnell. A potential number 5 starter in Familia and a decent outfield prospect in Puello. They already have a strong outfield and we are desperate for outfielders.

And anyways Parnell would be the main player the D-Back would be getting in that scenario and he is not a prospect.
    Last edited by Rio40; 12-24-2012 at 01:03 PM.

Presenting the 2013 New York Mets Outfield.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    They need to start spending some money dude, not robbing Peter to pay Paul all the time, we'll never have the farm system we need if every time we need outside help we have to give prospects away.

I like the RA trade, but let's not pretend we didn't lose an ace, we did. D'arnaud et al came at a cost, FA's do not come at a cost to your organization beyond money. That's what they need to do.

But they won't.
    The farm system does two thing. Either help you win or help you trade for a player that will help you win. We need to trade for a young outfielder at this point.

Develop a young and talented team via the farm and trades and fill in positions of need through free agency. Now is not the time to sign an outfielder to a big contract. Next season there are much better options out their and the Mets will have a better feel for where there team is at. Hopefully once it gets to that point where we are a position or 2 away the Wilpons will dig into their pockets and get the player we need. Now is not the time for that though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rio40 View Post
    The farm system does two thing. Either help you win or help you trade for a player that will help you win. We need to trade for a young outfielder at this point.

Develop a young and talented team via the farm and trades and fill in positions of need through free agency. Now is not the time to sign an outfielder to a big contract. Next season there are much better options out their and the Mets will have a better feel for where there team is at. Hopefully once it gets to that point where we are a position or 2 away the Wilpons will dig into their pockets and get the player we need. Now is not the time for that though.

We needed to spend some money and sign one, that's what we needed to do.

Next season there are much better options out their and the Mets will have a better feel for where there team is at. Hopefully once it gets to that point where we are a position or 2 away the Wilpons will dig into their pockets and get the player we need

That might be the narrative they've sold to you, I've not bought into it.

vCash
    Well what do you suppose they do? They don't have an answer for the outfield in the organization. Duda is a first basement and a DH that should only be playing the outfield in a pinch.

The D-Backs need MLB ready young pitchers. Gee and Familia fit that bill. Don't think of it as prospects for prospects think of it more as trading from positions of strength to fill a need. I don't see why the Diamondbacks wouldn't make that trade. They get a late inning reliever in Parnell. A potential number 5 starter in Familia and a decent outfield prospect in Puello. They already have a strong outfield and we are desperate for outfielders.

And anyways Parnell would be the main player the D-Back would be getting in that scenario and he is not a prospect.
    While I agree...the D-Back's are not going to just make a deal to help us out. Even they will know we are desperate...the asking price will be higher.

THANK YOU PROKY!!!

vCash
    We needed to spend some money and sign one, that's what we needed to do.

Next season there are much better options out their and the Mets will have a better feel for where there team is at. Hopefully once it gets to that point where we are a position or 2 away the Wilpons will dig into their pockets and get the player we need

That might be the narrative they've sold to you, I've not bought into it.
    Look at it from this perspective. Would you rather have signed Cody Ross for 3 years this offseason and sucked anyway or sign a guy like Hunter Pence next off season?

Next off season if they don't spend I will fully agree with you. I just don't think this is the right time to spend. Trade for a young outfielder this year and sign the best outfielder possible next off season and we won't be in bad shape.

After all the 2014 and they don't sign a high impact player I will be in your corner 100 percent.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wdwyer View Post
    While I agree...the D-Back's are not going to just make a deal to help us out. Even they will know we are desperate...the asking price will be higher.
    Yeah but they could really use a guy like Parnell who is a semi proven reliever.
    If it takes Parnell, Familia and Flores I still think the Mets have to do it. They need an outfielder and trading pieces that don't really fit for this team is the best way to get one. Even if you have to "overpay".

vCash
    Look at it from this perspective. Would you rather have signed Cody Ross for 3 years this offseason and sucked anyway or sign a guy like Hunter Pence next off season?

Next off season if they don't spend I will fully agree with you. I just don't think this is the right time to spend. Trade for a young outfielder this year and sign the best outfielder possible next off season and we won't be in bad shape.

After all the 2014 and they don't sign a high impact player I will be in your corner 100 percent.
    But they won't sign Hunter Pence dude, they will say he's too expensive and sniff round the bins again. Every year I hear this tune, 'wait till next year' then next year pops round and it's 'FA looks thin- but next year looks better' - it's a never-ending dynamic. Teams sign their own impending FA's thinning out the market and then it looks like crap, so you pass and wait for next year and it goes the same way again.

There isn't an optimum time to spend, just like you can't plan winning, ya'll are just assuming the Mets will win 2014 already, just like you're assuming the Mets will spend next Winter.

Think on it this way, do you think the Coupons spent 3 years chopping payroll like maniacs, just to start throwing money around on top tier FA's?

I don't.

They have slashed payroll down to $90M or less, they talk endlessley about flex, yet they still won't even sign a few reasonable FA's. It's BS.
    Last edited by Marty Mcfly; 12-24-2012 at 02:01 PM.

vCash
    There is no payroll flexibility. He just can't say my bosses are broke and we can't afford anyone. Not only would he lose his job but may never get another GM position again.

He has done a good job with the resources he has had.

With that said its time to pickup an outfielder. Either a young established player or an MLB ready prospect. No more picking up players 3 years away. They got their future catcher, got their future starters and now its time to make the future the present and get an outfielder or 2 so we can be competitive starting next season.

I don't wanna hear 2015/2016. 2014 we need to start competing for atleast a wildcard.

vCash
    Last year, people said 'FA is much better next year for OF' - what have the Mets done? Again, nothing. But guess what:

FA is better next year...

vCash
    Last year, people said 'FA is much better next year for OF' - what have the Mets done? Again, nothing. But guess what:

FA is better next year...

Do you think even Sandy Alderson can sell a $50M payroll? I don't think so.

vCash
    See if Cleon Jones and strawberry would be interested in coming back, good lord this franchise has become a complete train wreck, we have hit rock bottom.

vCash
    Anyone remember when we were told "wait until 2010, we'll be good then!" I most distinctively remember, "We will compete in 2012."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nymetsrule View Post
    Anyone remember when we were told "wait until 2010, we'll be good then!" I most distinctively remember, "We will compete in 2012."
    Your right we will NEVER EVER compete again. Is that what you want to hear?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BradHolt4CYoung View Post
    Your right we will NEVER EVER compete again. Is that what you want to hear?
    No, but I surely don't want to hear "next year" every.single.year. When do I get to hear, "this year!"? For the past 5 and a half years I've been on PSD, all I've ever heard is, "They are deferring money to next year./There are no good free agents this year/Jason Bay is better than Matt Holliday." I'm so tired of it. I'm tired of signing Trot Nixon and Gary Matthews Jr. and Jeff Conine in hopes that "next year" will be better!
    Last edited by nymetsrule; 12-25-2012 at 02:04 AM.

vCash
    You'll know when its time, the time just isn't now.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast