Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    They spent slightly less than what they had to, not anything major. I would have liked to see a few guys here and there signed, but no one I'm going to lose sleep over. These numbers are not 100% accurate either as some player's bonuses were not leaked to the media. I think it's fair to give the Mets another year to utilize the new draft better.
    Nothing major? And this from a guy that lists every mediocrity in the system when trying to defend the job Alderson's done with the farm. Beyond the two trades for blue chip guys over three years he's done little.

They spent 33% less than the Bonus Pool allowed and squandered the money allotted for a second round pick by going cheap with their pick and trying to go cheaper with his bonus.

If that sounds like a rebuilding team to you there's not much else to talk about.
    Last edited by Coupon; 12-27-2012 at 01:03 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coupon View Post
    Nothing major? And this from a guy that lists every mediocrity in the system when trying to defend the job Alderson's done with the farm. Beyond the two trades for blue chip guys over three years he's done little.

They spent 33% less than the Bonus Pool allowed and squandered the money allotted for a second round pick by going cheap with their pick and trying to go cheaper with his bonus.

If that sounds like a rebuilding team to you there's not much else to talk about.
    But those two trades are still huge, it doesn't really matter where the talent comes from as long as it's there right?

The reason they left a lot of picks unsigned is because they got rid of the GCL(terrible inexcusable decision) and that explains why didn't spend the max in the draft. They did well in 2011 going overslot.

Regardless of what you think about the owners or FO, they are rebuilding and doing a pretty solid job of it so far. Time will tell if it works out or not, and whether the Wilpons start spending more next year.

I do not like the Wilpons at all, but I'm trying to see the light at he end of the tunnel. There is certainly reason for optimism with this team moving forward.

vCash
    But those two trades are still huge, it doesn't really matter where the talent comes from as long as it's there right?

The reason they left a lot of picks unsigned is because they got rid of the GCL(terrible inexcusable decision) and that explains why didn't spend the max in the draft. They did well in 2011 going overslot.

Regardless of what you think about the owners or FO, they are rebuilding and doing a pretty solid job of it so far. Time will tell if it works out or not, and whether the Wilpons start spending more next year.

I do not like the Wilpons at all, but I'm trying to see the light at he end of the tunnel. There is certainly reason for optimism with this team moving forward.
    Them eliminating Minor League teams and skimping on player development is another indicator - this team is not serious about rebuilding.

But what was their excuse for not signing their #2 pick and losing his Bonus Pool money? It couldn't have been that there wasn't enough room for him in the GCL.

For years the Wilpons would sign a few high profile free agents which would turn fans attention away from the fact the rest of the club was slapped together on the cheap and neglected. Now they're making a few deals for top prospects to turn fans attention away from the fact that the rest of the farm system is slapped together on the cheap and neglected.

I apologize if pointing this out has a bad effect on your optimism, but I've seen this style of propaganda from this ownership before. They have earned our distrust.

I think it's fair to ask: where is all the Mets and SNY revenue that's not being reinvested in the team going? It's not going to improve the team on the Major League level. It's not going to improve the team on the Minor League level. Where is it going?

vCash
    Them eliminating Minor League teams and skimping on player development is another indicator - this team is not serious about rebuilding.

But what was their excuse for not signing their #2 pick and losing his Bonus Pool money? It couldn't have been that there wasn't enough room for him in the GCL.

For years the Wilpons would sign a few high profile free agents which would turn fans attention away from the fact the rest of the club was slapped together on the cheap and neglected. Now they're making a few deals for top prospects to turn fans attention away from the fact that the rest of the farm system is slapped together on the cheap and neglected.

I apologize if pointing this out has a bad effect on your optimism, but I've seen this style of propaganda from this ownership before. They have earned our distrust.

I think it's fair to ask: where is all the Mets and SNY revenue that's not being reinvested in the team going? It's not going to improve the team on the Major League level. It's not going to improve the team on the Minor League level. Where is it going?
    Well they brought back the GCL for next season, so at least they righted their obvious wrong. But I was definitely upset when they cut it.

At least they get another pick next year, and while the bonus money might not be as much, it still counts towards to the pool. I meant the reason why they didn't sign more picks and spend more in the draft overall is because they cut the GCL. It was a mistake for sure.

I'm just going to have to disagree about the rest of the farm sucking. We have a lot of pitching, and intriguing bats in the lower parts of the minors, not to mention we have just recently graduated Harvey from the farm. Other contributors like Niese, Tejada, Murphy, Ike, Parnell, Gee, have all done well too and came from our farm system.

I'm sure the Wilpons are pocketing the money to recover their lost profits from the Madoff situation. I hate that they are using the team to do this, but it's their business unfortunately and there is nothing we can do about it because people will still go to games, buy merchandise, etc.

It sucks that our owners suck ***, but if I will be satisfied if they can start spending in 2014. We've got a young new core developing here.

vCash
    Well they brought back the GCL for next season, so at least they righted their obvious wrong. But I was definitely upset when they cut it.

At least they get another pick next year, and while the bonus money might not be as much, it still counts towards to the pool. I meant the reason why they didn't sign more picks and spend more in the draft overall is because they cut the GCL. It was a mistake for sure.

I'm just going to have to disagree about the rest of the farm sucking. We have a lot of pitching, and intriguing bats in the lower parts of the minors, not to mention we have just recently graduated Harvey from the farm. Other contributors like Niese, Tejada, Murphy, Ike, Parnell, Gee, have all done well too and came from our farm system.

I'm sure the Wilpons are pocketing the money to recover their lost profits from the Madoff situation. I hate that they are using the team to do this, but it's their business unfortunately and there is nothing we can do about it because people will still go to games, buy merchandise, etc.

It sucks that our owners suck ***, but if I will be satisfied if they can start spending in 2014. We've got a young new core developing here.
    I understand.

I wish you could have seen the 1986 team being built. Cashen was a master at work. Nelson Doubleday had plenty of money, didn't need or want to wring as much as possible out of the team, didn't interfere. It was amazing. I wish I could see something like that again.

Unfortunately, when you look at the big picture, what we're seeing here is playing out as something else.

I think they'll improve the team for real again - when it suits them. For now, all indications are priority number one is reducing payroll, maximizing profits and not putting any of that money back in the team.

Some of the prospects might pan out, but no way this team improves significantly without major signings. Even if all the supposedly key prospects pan out (and some probably won't) there just aren't enough pieces to do it all internally.

Alderson shares some of the blame because he knew exactly what he was signing on for and building a winner wasn't job #1.

vCash
    The GCL Mets were the only team they eliminated. And they brought them back when they had an over abundance of players being over matched in the Kingsport.
    The Mets get a do over, and get to se the pick again.
    The biggest problem with the Wilpon's is that they usually hired a GM that they already knew that has worked for them, and not someone outside of the organization.

I guess you heard that Oscar Madison passed away a few days ago, he was a fixture in the press boxes at Shea during the early 70's.

“Ninety percent I’ll spend on good times, women, and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent I’ll probably waste.”
    - Tug McGraw, on his plans for his $75,000 salary

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by clayamtion View Post
    I guess you heard that Oscar Madison passed away a few days ago, he was a fixture in the press boxes at Shea during the early 70's.
    Sadly Jack Klugman passed away. He was a marvelous actor. But Oscar Madison will live forever. Tony Randall as Felix Unger, too.

vCash
    Wrong.

http://metsmerizedonline.com/2012/10...ool-money.html

During this year’s draft, the Mets’ Bonus Pool was $7,151,400 and they were allowed to spend $8,351,400 without incurring any penalties under the new CBA. The Mets spent $6,285,400 of their allotted pool money leaving a little over $2 million on the table. In accordance with the new rules, only $185,600 of that amount will carry over to the next draft and it is included in next year’s spending allotment reflected above.

And the Mets lose the Bonus Pool money the Wilpons didn't spend on their second round pick this year. They only would have gotten it rolled over to next year if Stankiewicz had refused to sign for slot. Since the Mets tried to lowball him for less than slot they don't get the extra second round bonus money allotted next year.

They will get the pick, but not the Bonus Pool space. The Wilpons basically blew a high draft pick over trying to go cheap in the draft again. This is not a real rebuild, it's a phony act they're putting on to fool the fans and keep them quiet while they slash payroll and put the savings in their pockets.

This says it all really...

vCash

A Scathing Review Of Sandy Alderson

Wait, so the Mets do not get the full 675 k to sign the second round pick they did not sign last year. If that is the case, then that was a horrible decision to not sign Stankewickz.

But am pretty sure they do get the full amount back from reading stuff from last year.

vCash
    They just didn't want to spend the money. You don't offer a 2nd rounder 68k UNDER slot if you want to sign him.

vCash

Building the TOT

Here's the thing with Sandy. He's shown he's very good at trading all star players for blue chip prospects.

Trading major leaguers for major leaguers? Not so much. Signing free agents? No so much. Rule 5 pickups? Nope.

The bad news now is that he's out of all stars since it's fair to assume he won't be trading David Wright anytime soon. So now what?

Sandy is suddenly going to make that big trade for a Keith Hernandez or a Gary Carter? Or sign a 5-tool Carlos Beltran to a mega bucks contract? It's great Sandy is picking up good prospects. But every time he picks up a prospect he loses an all star. Sure, you can make the argument that those all stars wouldn't have helped the Team Of Tomorrow (TOT).

Unfortunately building a TOT takes a lot more than converting All Stars into Prospects. While that's an important part of the equation it's only one component. You still need to bring in big time players -via trade or the market -- if you want to build a perennial contender.

I just don't see Sandy doing that. But for the time being I'll defer to my signature.
    Last edited by fanofclendennon; 12-27-2012 at 10:44 AM.
    FELLOW SATINISTS INCLUDE:
    FoC, YS, Harry, Zmaster, Gotta, ArkansasMetsFan, KingsnQueens7, The-rock-man, Wrigheyes4MVP, Vendetta, Jim Labruno

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    Wait, so the Mets do not get the full 675 k to sign the second round pick they did not sign last year. If that is the case, then that was a horrible decision to not sign Stankewickz.

But am pretty sure they do get the full amount back from reading stuff from last year.
    Yeah that's just a confused blogger getting all of the facts backwards.

The fact is the Mets only spent $185.6K under their bonus pool for the picks they signed, and they do get the pool money reallocated in 2013 for the unsigned pick. Only the $185.6k doesn't get reallocated.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Here's the thing with Sandy. He's shown he's very good at trading all star players for blue chip prospects.

Trading major leaguers for major leaguers? Not so much. Signing free agents? No so much.

The bad news now is that he's out of all stars since it's fair to assume he won't be trading David Wright anytime soon. So now what?

Sandy is suddenly going to make that big trade for a Keith Hernandez or a Gary Carter? Or sign a 5-tool Carlos Beltran to a mega bucks contract? It's great Sandy is picking up good prospects. But every time he picks up a prospect he loses an all star. Sure, you can make the argument that those all stars wouldn't have helped the Team Of Tomorrow (TOT).

Unfortunately building a TOT takes a lot more than converting All Stars into Prospects. While that's an important part of the equation it's only one component. You still need to bring in big time players -via trade or the market -- if you want to build a perennial contender.

I just don't see Sandy doing that. But for the time being I'll defer to my signature.

Good point, he's not turned trash into treasure. Let's face it if you can't turn Beltran and CY award winner into top prospects, what can you do?

He's out of assets now, it's either spend which the Coupons clearly don't want to do at all, or empty the farm.

Without MONEY the TOT will always be the TOT.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    Good point, he's not turned trash into treasure. Let's face it if you can't turn Beltran and CY award winner into top prospects, what can you do?

He's out of assets now, it's either spend which the Coupons clearly don't want to do at all, or empty the farm.

Without MONEY the TOT will always be the TOT.
    But you still have to give him credit where it's due. No good deal is an automatic.

But I agree, if the team isn't willing to spend money at some point, Tomorrow Never Knows a winning team.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spjcPS4ekOA
    FELLOW SATINISTS INCLUDE:
    FoC, YS, Harry, Zmaster, Gotta, ArkansasMetsFan, KingsnQueens7, The-rock-man, Wrigheyes4MVP, Vendetta, Jim Labruno

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post

Trading major leaguers for major leaguers? Not so much. Signing free agents? No so much. Rule 5 pickups? Nope.

When the timing is right, SA will make the appropriate moves. Teams that want to make a push need to build from depth. That's how the Mets got Keith Hernandez, Gary Carter, Bobby Ojeda, Howard Johnson, etc.

Some sports writer said yesterday he didn't understand why SA traded Dickey. I responded that he only needed to review the first time SA traded Rickey Henderson after the A's 1984 season. SA reaquired Henderson in 1989 because the A's were winning.

For someone who has seen a lot of baseball, I don't understand how you miss these things.
    Last edited by Dugmet; 12-27-2012 at 11:06 AM.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast