Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Thread: question

vCash

question

so I'm a huge rockets fan. but i don't have comcast or internet all I see is whats on espn or psd. so to those of you who can see the games. how good are we? bc I honestly saw us as a 25 win team at the beginning of the season but it seems Like we are coming together as a team and it just seems like are knocking out some top teams in the knicks and grizzlies. so what is our ceiling this season?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ricosu4ve20 View Post
    so I'm a huge rockets fan. but i don't have comcast or internet all I see is whats on espn or psd. so to those of you who can see the games. how good are we? bc I honestly saw us as a 25 win team at the beginning of the season but it seems Like we are coming together as a team and it just seems like are knocking out some top teams in the knicks and grizzlies. so what is our ceiling this season?
    Legit shot at a play off spot. If you're very optimistic, 4th-6th seed. More likely 6th to 8th seed if they get a spot.

Past that it's hard to say. The team is the youngest in the NBA, the least experienced, and they're still working out their chemistry.

Right now, the Rockets offense is scoring the most points per game in the NBA (105), with the last 3 games being blowouts (Knicks, 76ers and Memphis).

I doubt they'll get out of the first round, but they could definitely be a tough first round out....

vCash
    That's a good question. In all honesty, I haven't been able to watch nearly as many games as I used to because of work and because I can't watch games at a sports bar (but I do stream them illegally online).

But I think the Rockets have become one of the best transition teams in the NBA offensively. They force a lot of turnovers by bothering passing lanes and push it in transition to either get a dunk, layup, free throws or an open jumper. Since Lin went off with Harden on the bench, he's been getting more involved in the offense, whether it's running the point or allowing Harden to run things and hitting the occasional open shot when he needs to.

Parsons hasn't been as good as of late, but Asik, Morris, Delfino, Smith and Douglas have been picking it up. The thing I love about this team is that when they don't deviate from the plan, they play unselfish basketball, find the open man and are fearless in taking shots from anywhere on the floor. Delfino and Douglas have taken some WTF??? 3-pointers this season, but they hit a lot of those shots, so it's hard to get too angry about it. And lately I've seen way fewer James Harden isolation plays, which shows me that the coaches have figured out some plays to best utilize the guys on the floor and that this team has started to develop chemistry.

I think the reason the Rockets have been successful is that they're able to force really good half-court teams like New York, Boston and Memphis into playing a fast paced, full court game. However, when the Rockets play other teams that like to push it, it's always going to be a little harder for them to dominate like they have lately. But they have been playing better transition defense lately, which is how they manage to put up these long runs and jump out to big leads.

As far as ceiling, the pessimist in me says that they're likely no better than a 6-8 seed as currently constructed with a likely first round exit. They're too young and they need a true No. 2. But the optimist in me says that a 3-5 seed isn't out of the question if they keep playing basketball like this and beating quality teams. They might not have a true No. 2 on paper, but so many of the guys on this team haven't had a chance to prove themselves as full-time starters and they could have a solid No. 2 on the roster already that they don't even know about.

One fun little fact before I end this insanely long post... Only eight teams in the NBA have a higher point differential than the Rockets: Clippers, Thunder, Spurs, Knicks, Heat, Grizzlies, Lakers and Hawks.

vCash
    Guys, you can watch games at bars again. The only games they can't show are the ones that are blacked out. Trust me, my local watering hole just started playing them again.

Now on topic, this is one of those teams that CAN compete with anyone. Young smart players that run run run. Now I'm not saying we will. Young players also generally need the experience to go far in the playoffs and win series. I can see us pull a 1st round upset as easily as I could see us miss the playoffs.

Big THX to MJ's Bulls and pheagles10 on the sig help!
    Dear T-Mac,
    I miss you.
    Love,
    The Rim