Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 57
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    The Boogie Down
    Posts
    79,771
    vCash
    1500
    I would of preferred Profar.

    ...but seriously you needed a player at either position so it does not matter to me.

    I would of rather had Gose over Syndergaard though.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    55,353
    vCash
    1500
    TDA because we could always just buy some big bats in the outfield. I love that Syndergaard was included too.

    I feel that the expectation for Myers to hit is a lot greater than TDA because of the position he plays, and I'm ecstatic that we don't have to see Thole anymore.

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    6,574
    vCash
    1500
    Myers...he's the better hitter with less injury concerns.

    Also is people are making there decisions based on Syndergaard remember the Rays also got back Jake Odorozzi....who is a better pitching prospect than Synder and is major league ready.

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    55,353
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by BradHolt4CYoung View Post
    Myers...he's the better hitter with less injury concerns.

    Also is people are making there decisions based on Syndergaard remember the Rays also got back Jake Odorozzi....who is a better pitching prospect than Synder and is major league ready.
    Neither have played a major league game yet, so it's hard to say who's the better hitter. Even if Myers ends up being a better hitter, will it be enough to make up for the difference between playing corner outfield and catcher?

    Also give me Syndergaard over Odorizzi anyday of the week. Syndergaard had a higher upside and his fastball is elite. He absolutely dominated Low-A.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    The Heart of Long Island
    Posts
    7,312
    vCash
    1500
    I'd say Myers, just since catchers tend to regress quicker.

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    6,574
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    Neither have played a major league game yet, so it's hard to say who's the better hitter. Even if Myers ends up being a better hitter, will it be enough to make up for the difference between playing corner outfield and catcher?

    Also give me Syndergaard over Odorizzi anyday of the week. Syndergaard had a higher upside and his fastball is elite. He absolutely dominated Low-A.
    And Odorizzi dominated AAA. Syndergaard has a pretty decent chance he becomes a reliever while Odorizzi doesn't.

    They both have number 2 starter upside. Your overrating Syndergaard.

    And yes when you have a superior hitter who will play more games he is better than a lesser hitter/more injury prone even despite the different positions. And since when did OF become some super deep position where everyone can mash? Because I have been watching nothing but Lucas Duda, Jason Bay, Andres Torres, Mike Baxter, Scott Hairston the last couple years...

    Myers won minor league player of the year last year. The last 20 years there have been 14 position players to win the same award:

    1992: Tim Salmon
    1993: Manny Ramirez
    1994: Derek Jeter
    1995: Andruw Jones
    1996: Andruw Jones
    1997: Paul Konerko
    1998: Eric Chavez
    2002: Rocco Baldelli
    2003: Joe Mauer
    2005: Delmon Young
    2006: Alex Gordon
    2007: Jay Bruce
    2008: Matt Wieters
    2009: Jason Heyward
    2011: Mike Trout

    Thats some great company.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    29,350
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by BradHolt4CYoung View Post
    Myers...he's the better hitter with less injury concerns.

    Also is people are making there decisions based on Syndergaard remember the Rays also got back Jake Odorozzi....who is a better pitching prospect than Synder and is major league ready.
    Parks rated them both a 6 offensively.


    "You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    6,574
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by clayamtion View Post
    Parks rated them both a 6 offensively.
    Well you also probably wont find a single prospect ranking list out their with TDA over Myers.

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    55,353
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by BradHolt4CYoung View Post
    And Odorizzi dominated AAA. Syndergaard has a pretty decent chance he becomes a reliever while Odorizzi doesn't.

    They both have number 2 starter upside. Your overrating Syndergaard.

    And yes when you have a superior hitter who will play more games he is better than a lesser hitter/more injury prone even despite the different positions. And since when did OF become some super deep position where everyone can mash? Because I have been watching nothing but Lucas Duda, Jason Bay, Andres Torres, Mike Baxter, Scott Hairston the last couple years...

    Myers won minor league player of the year last year. The last 20 years there have been 14 position players to win the same award:

    1992: Tim Salmon
    1993: Manny Ramirez
    1994: Derek Jeter
    1995: Andruw Jones
    1996: Andruw Jones
    1997: Paul Konerko
    1998: Eric Chavez
    2002: Rocco Baldelli
    2003: Joe Mauer
    2005: Delmon Young
    2006: Alex Gordon
    2007: Jay Bruce
    2008: Matt Wieters
    2009: Jason Heyward
    2011: Mike Trout

    Thats some great company.
    Yes he did well in the PCL, but his fly ball ratios are VERY scary. I don't see that translating well in the big leagues. Because of that, I see his upside more as a #3.

    Syndergaard has the way better fastball, gets a ton of grounders and doesn't walk many. Obviously he is a little more risky since he's further away, but his stuff is legit and his upside is definitely higher.

    His change could be plus, he just needs to work further on his breaking ball. But he was 19 for most of last season so he has plenty of time to work on that.

    That award is cute and all, but that doesn't mean he'll mash for sure.

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    6,574
    vCash
    1500
    1. Myers gives us a middle of the order type bat to pair with Wright/Davis for years and years to come. TDA is more of a #6 hitter, MAYBE a #5 at best. Myers bat is so much more ideal for this lineup than TDA. And it's not like we are stacked in the OF either.

    2. Ill take the much more of a sure thing/big league ready Odorizzi over the bigger boom/bust 19 year old. Syndergaard can't even help us in 2014 which is a year the FO plans on having the Mets compete for the playoffs. We already have 2 guys with even higher ceilings AND closer to ML ready than Syndergaard(Harvey/Wheeler) having the more of a sure thing Odorizzi to be a 2/3 starter is just fine.

    TDA wont mash for sure either. Syndergaard or Odorizzi are no sure things either. But Myers has higher upside and a higher floor than TDA...the fact that one plays catcher and another plays OF shouldn't make such a huger difference....maybe if we weren't running out AAAA players in the OF every night it would.

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    11,371
    vCash
    1500
    wtf are you guys arguing over this for? It's like should we have signed Josh Hamilton over David Wright? Really its neither here nor there.

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    55,353
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by BradHolt4CYoung View Post
    1. Myers gives us a middle of the order type bat to pair with Wright/Davis for years and years to come. TDA is more of a #6 hitter, MAYBE a #5 at best. Myers bat is so much more ideal for this lineup than TDA. And it's not like we are stacked in the OF either.

    2. Ill take the much more of a sure thing/big league ready Odorizzi over the bigger boom/bust 19 year old. Syndergaard can't even help us in 2014 which is a year the FO plans on having the Mets compete for the playoffs. We already have 2 guys with even higher ceilings AND closer to ML ready than Syndergaard(Harvey/Wheeler) having the more of a sure thing Odorizzi to be a 2/3 starter is just fine.

    TDA wont mash for sure either. Syndergaard or Odorizzi are no sure things either. But Myers has higher upside and a higher floor than TDA...the fact that one plays catcher and another plays OF shouldn't make such a huger difference....maybe if we weren't running out AAAA players in the OF every night it would.
    Both are projected middle of the order bats. What are you talking about? Yes, Myers projects to be the better hitter because he's a 1 1/2 years younger and he already hit very well at upper levels. Us not being stacked in the OF makes no difference in determining their value.

    Odorizzi is not a sure thing. No one is a sure thing. He's got flaws and does not have #2 upside. He's a #3 at best because he doesn't know how to keep the ball on the ground. In the AL East, he's going to get rocked.

    Syndergaard is at worst a pen arm thanks to his great fastball and control of it. Odorizzi is probably a 5th starter for his floor.

    We aren't planning on making the playoffs for just 2014, we are planning on making the playoffs for 2014 and beyond. Syndergaard fits in with the beyond.

    I disagree 100% with Myers having a higher floor than TDA. TDA can hit with a .750 OPS and still have value at catcher, while if Myers does that, he is an absolute bust because he's a corner OF.

    If we get Corey Hart and Prado/Ellsbury, then all of a sudden our OF doesn't look so ****** and we have a potential AS catcher behind the plate. Can we find a top 5 catcher in the FA market?

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    North Sentinel Island
    Posts
    5,162
    vCash
    1500
    I'll take the most difficult position on the field, catcher. But for the Mets, depending if they got anything else, Myers probably would have benefited a little more. But the Mets did get a legitimate haul from TOR, so a win either way.
    FC Bayern Munchen

    New York Yankees



  14. #29
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    East of the Sun, West of the Moon
    Posts
    16,904
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by BradHolt4CYoung View Post
    1. Myers gives us a middle of the order type bat to pair with Wright/Davis for years and years to come. TDA is more of a #6 hitter, MAYBE a #5 at best. Myers bat is so much more ideal for this lineup than TDA. And it's not like we are stacked in the OF either.

    2. Ill take the much more of a sure thing/big league ready Odorizzi over the bigger boom/bust 19 year old. Syndergaard can't even help us in 2014 which is a year the FO plans on having the Mets compete for the playoffs. We already have 2 guys with even higher ceilings AND closer to ML ready than Syndergaard(Harvey/Wheeler) having the more of a sure thing Odorizzi to be a 2/3 starter is just fine.

    TDA wont mash for sure either. Syndergaard or Odorizzi are no sure things either. But Myers has higher upside and a higher floor than TDA...the fact that one plays catcher and another plays OF shouldn't make such a huger difference....maybe if we weren't running out AAAA players in the OF every night it would.
    It does. Outfielders are so much easier to find than catchers.
    John Maeda@johnmaeda

    Knowing the overall *shape* of an idea, argument, situation requires as many facts, models, opinions as you can take/make to see a whole.

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    227
    vCash
    1500
    Got to love people who have faith in Alderson considering his track record since he has been with the Mets. TDA sounds great on paper, but he has had how many injuries already ...? Catching is tough so one should question his durability. As for his offense, those 2012 numbers were accumulated in the desert. Just a little inflation here. As for Syndergaard, hotshots coming out of A ball are a dime a dozen. Was it high A? They are all going to be All Stars. And you traded a Cy Young winner on a miserable team for this ...? So far Alderson has been a lot of talk and the press is okay with it. People cannot be this inept by accident. You really have to work at it. And he is doing a grand job of it thus far. Think about it ... You have owners in a great market who cannot manage their finances and an executiive who does not understand baseball and cannot manage. Great combination. Where do you think Apple or Google would be if they had clowns like this running their organizations. You have to love it. Would make a great SNL skit or a comedy or better a tragedy ... Guy has p*ssed in your face and telling you its rain. Gotta love it. What did PT Barnum say: "A sucker is born every minute." Going to be a long wait and CitiField is such a beautiful ballpark ...
    Last edited by oscarc; 12-22-2012 at 03:50 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •