Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 52

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    The North Shore of O'ahu Hawaii
    Posts
    1,771
    vCash
    1500

    17 potential free agents

    Here's a summary of who's potentially leaving:

    Oakland Raiders could have 17 unrestricted free agents
    By Jerry McDonald


    jmcdonald@bayareanewsgroup.commercurynews.com

    Posted: 12/21/2012 01:06:15 PM PST
    December 21, 2012 9:7 PM GMTUpdated: 12/21/2012 01:06:16 PM PST


    ALAMEDA -- The Raiders released their list of prospective free agents who will be available to the highest bidder on March 12 unless they are signed by the club before then.

    Included among the 17 unrestricted free agents is defensive tackle Richard Seymour, whose last contract negotiation voided the 2013 season. Seymour will miss his seventh consecutive game on Sunday with a hamstring strain.

    Nine players who will start Sunday against the Carolina Panthers are ticketed for unrestricted free agency: offensive lineman Khalif Barnes, defensive tackle Desmond Bryant, guard Cooper Carlisle, middle linebacker Omar Gaither, free safety Matt Giordano, punter Shane Lechler, tight end Brandon Myers, defensive end Matt Shaughnessy and linebacker Philip Wheeler.

    Others are defensive end Andre Carter, running back Mike Goodson, wide receiver Derek Hagan, cornerback Joselio Hanson, quarterback Matt Leinart, safety Mike Mitchell and cornerback Shawntae Spencer.

    General manager Reggie McKenzie said during his last press briefing he had started the process of talking with some prospective free agents he hoped to retain, without giving any names.

    Cornerback and punt return specialist Phillip Adams is a restricted free agent, with the Raiders having a right of first refusal. Exclusive rights free agents, which are bound to the team simply by tendering a contract, are linebacker Kaelin Burnett, wide receiver Duke Calhoun, cornerback Coye Francies.


    We have some players we need to sign, but the majority of these names should be on the way out. We have the ability to free up cash, and for the first time in a long time, sign and draft football players.
    "We don't take what the defense gives us; we take whatever the hell we want." - Al Davis

    ONE NATION, DOMINATION, RAIDER NATION!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    raider nation
    Posts
    2,177
    vCash
    1500
    Holy crap lol
    Don't like me?

    Go have a seat with the rest of the putas waiting for me to give a flying fk.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    The North Shore of O'ahu Hawaii
    Posts
    1,771
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackWidow View Post
    Holy crap lol
    I know, right? That's a lot of heads rolling. Some of the names I want to stay, but I'll readily admit I'm anxious for McKenzie and Allen to cracks skulls, trim fat, and rid themselves of Al Davis's left over trash. We have a lot of money to free up, especially if Palmer restructures. (Again). Changes are coming to Oakland.
    "We don't take what the defense gives us; we take whatever the hell we want." - Al Davis

    ONE NATION, DOMINATION, RAIDER NATION!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    522
    vCash
    1500
    I think we need to look at this as a glass half full scenario: Oakland is most likely looking to let most of these fellas walk so it comes at an opportune time that they're free to walk as opposed to having players on your roster that you keep because you don't want to take the cap hit. This enables the front office to retain who they want while freeing up space to bring in who they want. The masses knew this was coming and the blood bath has yet to rear it's naked head.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,007
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMoneyTeam View Post
    I think we need to look at this as a glass half full scenario: Oakland is most likely looking to let most of these fellas walk so it comes at an opportune time that they're free to walk as opposed to having players on your roster that you keep because you don't want to take the cap hit. This enables the front office to retain who they want while freeing up space to bring in who they want. The masses knew this was coming and the blood bath has yet to rear it's naked head.
    That is true but the guys sucking up the cap space are the ones under contract. Kelly, DMC, DHB, Branch, all got big cap numbers and big bonuses that will make them prohibitively expensive to part ways with. On the bright side, McKenzie will have some draft picks and be able to get some more guys that fit the scheme. I don't expect a division win next year but improvements should be apparent. The guys they brought this year were some of our better players. Sans Bartell, but find a starting corner for what he was willing to take..honestly. things will start to improve.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Racine, WI
    Posts
    2,593
    vCash
    1500
    Out of the 17....Only Wheeler, Adams, Myers are must signs Goodson, Leinart and Hanson should be signed only if the price is right. We should let the rest walk....Even Lechler! Marquette King should be more than ready to handle punting duties.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    The Garden of Eden...New Jersey
    Posts
    10,509
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by midwestlaker75 View Post
    Out of the 17....Only Wheeler, Adams, Myers are must signs Goodson, Leinart and Hanson should be signed only if the price is right. We should let the rest walk....Even Lechler! Marquette King should be more than ready to handle punting duties.
    I'm not seeing that at all. Wheeler and Adams were picked off the scrap heap by McKenzie. If they'd like to come along at a price that makes sense then wonderful. If not, no reason to think McKenzie won't find other gems to take their places.

    We need to quickly get to the point where only franchise changing players are "must signs".

    -Stork

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Maplewood, NJ
    Posts
    2,480
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by themadstork View Post
    I'm not seeing that at all. Wheeler and Adams were picked off the scrap heap by McKenzie. If they'd like to come along at a price that makes sense then wonderful. If not, no reason to think McKenzie won't find other gems to take their places.

    We need to quickly get to the point where only franchise changing players are "must signs".

    -Stork
    The nice thing is that RM has a nose for finding talent..with money freed up and some draft picks, he wont have to do any dumpster diving for players. We shouldn't be in a rush to resign FA's on a 4-10 team, although Wheeler, Meyers and Adams have played well and are definitely welcomed back with cap friendly contracts.


    [B]New York Yankees 27 World Championships.....need I say more?
    Oakland Raiders 3 Super Bowl Victories/rest of the AFC West 3 Super Bowl Wins

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    522
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by raiderwood View Post
    the nice thing is that rm has a nose for finding talent..with money freed up and some draft picks, he wont have to do any dumpster diving for players. We shouldn't be in a rush to resign fa's on a 4-10 team, although wheeler, meyers and adams have played well and are definitely welcomed back with cap friendly contracts.
    +1

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    1,472
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Raiderwood View Post
    The nice thing is that RM has a nose for finding talent..with money freed up and some draft picks, he wont have to do any dumpster diving for players.
    I had assumed that the "New Era of Excellence" would take until 2014 to bear fruit. But the more I think about it the more I think we might be competetive in 2013. The inflated salaries and salary cap mess will be significantly cleared up after this year. We will be on an equal footing with everyone else.

    So RM's eye for talent will be put to the test with a huge turnover in the roster. It will be up to the coaches to get all these new pieces to the puzzzle to come together. There is hope for our first winnning season since the days of Gannon.

    IMO we already have the QB who can play at that level. It's a whole lot easier to find RBs, CBs, WRs in the draft or free agency.
    A few minutes later, Lincoln Kennedy to Charles Woodson: “What are they reviewing? It was a fumble”.
    Greg Biekert to Kennedy and Woodson: “They’re going to overturn it because they’re taking too long and we’re the Raiders”.[
    SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    6,288
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Raiders1951 View Post


    We already have the QB who can play at that level.
    That`s very easy to say, what evidence do you have ? Is it because other people say so ? I don`t see anything from Palmer that says, yes he`s the guy we want leading the Oakland Raiders.

    11 years with 1 playoff start, Tebow had 2 in the first year and he doesn`t even play now lol.

    Palmer is the excuse of why his teams are bad, yet everyone looks for all the other excuses around him which is beyond laughable.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Maplewood, NJ
    Posts
    2,480
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Raiders1951 View Post
    I had assumed that the "New Era of Excellence" would take until 2014 to bear fruit. But the more I think about it the more I think we might be competetive in 2013. The inflated salaries and salary cap mess will be significantly cleared up after this year. We will be on an equal footing with everyone else.

    So RM's eye for talent will be put to the test with a huge turnover in the roster. It will be up to the coaches to get all these new pieces to the puzzzle to come together. There is hope for our first winnning season since the days of Gannon.

    IMO we already have the QB who can play at that level. It's a whole lot easier to find RBs, CBs, WRs in the draft or free agency.
    Agree on the QB..now if we had WR's that could hold on to the ball.....


    [B]New York Yankees 27 World Championships.....need I say more?
    Oakland Raiders 3 Super Bowl Victories/rest of the AFC West 3 Super Bowl Wins

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Folsom Prison
    Posts
    3,141
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Raiderwood View Post
    The nice thing is that RM has a nose for finding talent..with money freed up and some draft picks, he wont have to do any dumpster diving for players. We shouldn't be in a rush to resign FA's on a 4-10 team, although Wheeler, Meyers and Adams have played well and are definitely welcomed back with cap friendly contracts.
    Good post. I have been impressed with what Reggie has been able to do with no cap space or draft picks, enough so that I believe he has the ability to build a very strong roster once he is allowed the resources every other well run team enjoys. Well put Raiderwood.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    3,873
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Raiderwood View Post
    The nice thing is that RM has a nose for finding talent..with money freed up and some draft picks, he wont have to do any dumpster diving for players. We shouldn't be in a rush to resign FA's on a 4-10 team, although Wheeler, Meyers and Adams have played well and are definitely welcomed back with cap friendly contracts.
    Very true, he has such a good eye for talent, that he brought in such a great group of corners that we are probably the worst secondary in the NFL.

    Wheeler had a good season, he will not be cheap to sign.

    everyone else can go. we have folks we can deal for picks. Drop the big contracts and if we are only going to win 4 games, clean house and get young talent in here while Veldheer, Houston and Wiz are still young.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Racine, WI
    Posts
    2,593
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by themadstork View Post
    I'm not seeing that at all. Wheeler and Adams were picked off the scrap heap by McKenzie. If they'd like to come along at a price that makes sense then wonderful. If not, no reason to think McKenzie won't find other gems to take their places.

    We need to quickly get to the point where only franchise changing players are "must signs".

    -Stork
    Must sign o.k., I will admit is a bit overstated. But in a dark season those players were bright spots. So let me re-phrase....The most sensable signings out of the group would be those players. And I will assume that RM will not turn back to our past and overpay players. I should have phrased that better by adding "Cap Friendly" to my statement.
    Last edited by midwestlaker75; 12-23-2012 at 05:56 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •