Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 45
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Canadian In Michigan.
    Posts
    42,051
    vCash
    1500

    Gonna say it: Don't Fire Tannenbaum

    The Jets should not fire Tanny in my eyes. I've thought about this for a while and I just can't justify firing this guy. No he hasn't been perfect but its very rare a general manager ever is. The Jets have a good team believe it or not and the faults aren't entirely his fault. There are certain things the Jets have put off that need to be addressed but overall, the reason this team isn't succeeding has more to do with players not getting it done than Tannenbaum ****ing up. If you don't want to read the roster analysis I just made you could just scroll down I guess. Its kinda long, maybe not all that necessary.

    Quarterbacks:
    Mark Sanchez- He earned a 4th year to start and he **** the bed. Contract extension was a poor idea and something he should have learned about from the Holmes contract regarding guaranteed money. I don't think he expected Mark to be THIS bad and make him play a 5th year on the team seem like such an awful idea.
    Tim Tebow- Woody Johnson's decision. Tanny and this team brought in Stanton and said that was all they were doing for the QB situation. Remember that.
    Greg McElroy - Great 7th round pick at this point.

    Overall: You get rid of Mark and get someone who doesn't really **** up (could it be McElroy?) and I think this entire team is different.

    Running Backs:
    Shonn Greene- Can't play in September for whatever reason but he is a good running back during this time. A good player the Jets should really look to bring back in a 1b role.
    Blial Powell- Powell is proving to be a good pick, looking like he can play the role of a September back for this team when Greene struggles.
    Joe Mcknight- He doesn't get carries but he is a great return man. He should be seeing more carries. Simply doesn't for whatever reason.

    Overall: Like what I see, almost enough for me to say that I could go into next year with this exact same core.

    Fullback
    John Conner- Not Tanny's pick. This is Rex's pick and he busted. Just want to make that clear.

    Wide Receivers
    Santonio Holmes- He made a mistake paying him as much as he did but Holmes is a good player. Put someone beside him that can make plays and get covered consistently and you have a number 1 type receiver.
    Stephen Hill- He's a rookie and he had a pretty decent season I'd say, unfortunately the Jets needed more from him this year. This pick needs to step it up next year.
    Jeremy Kerley- Could be a great slot receiver. Adjusts to the ball. Fantastic late round draft pick. Should be noted that this was "Schotty's guy" in the draft.
    Chaz Schillens- He's a 4th string receiver. Pretty good in that role.
    Braylon Edwards- Tha gawd.
    Clyde Gates-He has good potential and that's about it. Makes some good plays. This is irrelevant to continue to this point anyways.

    Overall: Again is this a bad core? Not at all. You get an efficient passer and this core next season is going to look pretty good in all honesty. It can be better but mainly, it revolves around Stephen Hill's development at this point. He develops well and the Jets don't even need fixing for the future. I don't see the Jets doing anything important this offseason to improve it. And they wont need to.

    Tight Ends
    Dustin Keller- This is the first player I categorize under the "is it Mike Tannenbaum's fault" list. Is it his fault Keller never grew to his potential? Keller is exactly like Jermichael Finley and Pettigrew. He could have been a top 10 tight end in this league, flashed a few times and then just disappointed. He could go somewhere and be something special but he'll probably just be what he always has been here. Time to wave goodbye and realize this isn't Tanny's fault.

    Offensive Line
    D'brickashaw Ferguson- Gets paid a lot of money and has truly earned it this season. Bounced back well, made his contract worth it.
    Matt Slauson- Is it Tanny that's forcing the team to sub out Slauson for Ducasse? Hope not. Slauson is a good player and should keep seeing reps. Very late round pick guys... just something to note.
    Nick Mangold- Probably a top 3 center in the league in a mediocre year. Mangold has been a great pick and the reason for a ton of success the Jets have had.
    Brandon Moore- Old age may be catching up to him but he hasn't played like it recently.
    Austin Howard- His only mistake was trusting his offensive line coach and the team long enough to think Hunter could actually play for the team this year. Regardless, Howard has been great in comparison. Nothing special but this is a practice squad player the Jets signed. He's been good enough.
    Vlad Ducasse- If the Jets decide to let Brandon Moore go and the Jets start Ducasse in his place, if he doesn't have success necessary, Tanny bites the dust.

    Overall: Don't let people trick you with the "OMG Mark is always pressured." This is a good offensive line. Its not 2008, 2009 or even 2010 good but its far from bad. Without Wayne Hunter, the Jets have proved the offensive line is back.

    Overall Offense: Offense isn't as bad as it looks on Sundays. I loved Mark but I truly believe upon review he is the downfall. There aren't superstars here but I don't think you need superstars, you need efficiency. The Jets can get an efficient quarterback and this team is no different than the past teams that made runs at the AFC Championships.

    Defensive Ends:
    Mo Wilkerson- The dude is a straight up stud. Honestly, with all things considered, only 3-4 defensive end I'd rather have right now is JJ Watt. First round pick that has been great.
    Mike Devito- I've always been tough on Devito because Jet fans think he is so underrated and I've always thought he was just mediocre. But the fact is, the guy has been a decent starter for multiple years as an undrafted free agent. Good player.
    Quinton Coples- Really excited for what he might become. His lack of playing time will disappear next year and I think he will be making plays for us. He's a good player.

    Overall: Depends on if we switch to a 4-3 here but this is a pretty good group of players. Mo's dominance shows that it really doesn't matter what pick you end up with in the draft because there are superstars all over.

    Defensive Tackles:
    Sione Pouha- Is it Tanny's fault he has completely under performed? Nope. Categorize it. Sione was good but he's had a bad season. This is a perfect example of a player getting a general manager in trouble. I don't think very many people said "Let Pouha go" last season. But he's been pretty bad this year and is a reason for defensive problems. I wonder how much the Jets can save by cutting him.
    Kenrick Ellis- He has to get better but I think its time for him to get the reps necessary.

    Outside Linebackers:
    Calvin Pace- There was a time where Calvin Pace was a pass rusher. Now he's too old. That said, he is actually good at containing the run and isn't that bad. But he has to go because he's not good enough in coverage and its time to get a pass rusher.
    Bryan Thomas- See Calvin Pace, copy and paste it here for me.
    Garrett McIntyre- Pretty good at what he does. Far from elite and no Cam Wake but this is a CFL talent who really isn't too bad.
    Vernon Gholston- I'm putting this here because its relevant. We went for a passrusher and it didn't work. 2008 wasn't that long ago. Category this under the "Is it really Tannebaum's fault" again. You put me in that situation again, 9 out of the 10 times, I'm going to take Gholston in that scenario. He busted, that's all there is to it.

    Overall: The Jets haven't addressed this position in years but they will do so I think. Just pray its not a Gholston.

    Inside Linebackers
    David Harris- "Is it really Mike Tannebaum's fault?" The contract is far from outrageous considering what he can provide but he isn't doing it. He earned an elite contract because he put together some elite seasons. Is he overpayed? Maybe a little but not too much. He just has to play like he has shown he can.
    Bart Scott- Great signing to start the Rex era and a huge reason the Jets had as much success as they did when they were really competing. He's basically done now and won't be back but for 3 years he provided goods for this team.
    Demario Davis- Don't get why the Jets stopped giving him reps after the Patriots game. I think he is very good and will be very good for this team.

    Overall: Depends on if we switch to a 4-3 this year but the Jets got Demario who will be on the team for a while me thinks. David Harris better step it up.

    Secondary
    Yermiah Bell- Good old veteran who has shown what he can do. He's been very strong this year for the Jets. Tanny saw the safeties as a weakness last year and fixed it. Give him credit.
    Laron Landry- Has turned out to be a great signing. Not sure the team can bring him back but he wasn't a liability, brought back the Jet attitude the team used to have when we were really good and hit like a WMD.
    Eric Smith- Jet fans begged for him to be cut but Tanny man'd up and did a smart move by keeping him. He's a good player in a rotational role.
    Darrelle Revis- Revis Christ. But don't give Tanny credit, every good pick from the before Rex era is because of Mangini.
    Antonio Cromartie- Dominant. The Jets traded for Cro and it's worked out brilliantly. He is a top 10 corner in this league easily. My biggest problem with everything Tanny has done is based around the Asomugha scenario. He nearly ****ed up huge with that.
    Kyle Wilson- He's not great and I wish in retrospect the Jets went elsewhere. But I don't blame Tanny for the pick, I blame Wilson for not developing better. He's a pretty good nickelback.

    Overall: Bold comment here but if Revis doesn't get hurt this season, I really don't think teams would have scored points on our defense.


    Its easy to look at some of the things Tanny's done and get mad. But dont forget how much good he has done for the team. Don't forget how we got to the spot where we were legit contenders for a superbowl. And really, look at the fact that we went all in basically for 2010 and put ourselves in cap hell, yet the team never really decreased in talent THAT much. Most of the reasons the team hasn't had success falls on the players.

    http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...d.php?t=414638

    There is a reason we said he was one of the best GMs in the league not too long ago.
    Last edited by jetsforever; 12-21-2012 at 10:44 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    222
    vCash
    1500
    Tannenbaeum put the offensive product we see on the field. He brought Tebow in for no reason whatsoever he left Sanchez with zero to work with and Tebow looking over his shoulder for no reason. The Tebow move was a disaster and it was all for nothing since we never planned on starting him to begin with. Theres no defending Tannenbaeum. What have you done for me latley??? That's the way this league is, I don't care about the good moves he made 5 years ago I care about the last two seasons and he is the main reason we have turned into this. He made the decisions to get rid of quality players and sign guys like Holmes among other pointless moves. Im sick of it and he doesn't deserve another year im tired of the ****ing excuses.Mr.T needs to be reassigned and I think he will be. And if he's not and we have another joke of a year next year then what???? We wasted another year instead of doing what should have been done along time ago.If Mr.T and Sanchez are back next season we have a 6-10 football team again maybe worse.The offensive problems have been masked for years and now the mask is off and you can see what Sanchez and the offense really is. Shonn Greene is not a number 1 back we need a guy with speed who is more flexible and elusive. Greene is a number 2 back a run up the middle kind of guy he can't set the edge if the field was on fire and it was the only way to escape
    Last edited by CurseOfJoeNamth; 12-21-2012 at 10:54 PM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
    Posts
    15,040
    vCash
    1500
    jetsforever, I like the optimism, but I think in some cases you are grabbing at straws, especially on offense. This has to be the most inept offense that I have ever seen in my entire life. There are ZERO QB's, RB's, TE's that will be on this team 3 years from now and MAYBE 1 WR that will be 3 years from now, 2 if Hill gets things going. Braylon has what, 3 practices and is STARTING after being what, the #4 WR with Seattle. Tell you much about the WR corp? I even wonder if he will be back next year

    Even defensively, I think the defense is VASTLY overrated and has really done the bulk of it's work against INFERIOR competition.
    PSD's Muhammad Wilkerson!!!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,156
    vCash
    1500
    Dude you are going to get hammered. Every Rex and Tanny hater will be all over this like white on rice.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Southern CAL
    Posts
    5,073
    vCash
    1500
    To be honest JF, great post and awesome read. I think with 95% of the summary you hit the nail on the head. You also made me remember about drew Stanton, man we screwed that guy! But analysis was awesome, let the haters hate my friend!


    #Hernandezing


    Quote Originally Posted by bwallstreet View Post
    haha delusional
    Someone underestimated the jets!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Canadian In Michigan.
    Posts
    42,051
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by CurseOfJoeNamth View Post
    Tannenbaeum put the offensive product we see on the field. He brought Tebow in for no reason whatsoever he left Sanchez with zero to work with and Tebow looking over his shoulder for no reason. The Tebow move was a disaster and it was all for nothing since we never planned on starting him to begin with. Theres no defending Tannenbaeum. What have you done for me latley??? That's the way this league is, I don't care about the good moves he made 5 years ago I care about the last two seasons and he is the main reason we have turned into this. He made the decisions to get rid of quality players and sign guys like Holmes among other pointless moves. Im sick of it and he doesn't deserve another year im tired of the ****ing excuses.Mr.T needs to be reassigned and I think he will be. And if he's not and we have another joke of a year next year then what???? We wasted another year instead of doing what should have been done along time ago.If Mr.T and Sanchez are back next season we have a 6-10 football team again maybe worse
    You probably didn't read much of my post.
    1) Tebow is completely and 100% a Woody Johnson move. Jets signed Stanton, said they were done with QBs knowing that Denver might sign Manning and Tebow would be available. If they wanted Tebow they could have just waited.
    2)Sanchez didn't have "zero to work with" and if he did, I don't blame Tanny for it. Derrick Mason was a great signing. Derrick Mason was at the time of the signing, a better slot receiver than Jerricho Cotchery. Plaxico Burress was in retrospect a poor decision but he has still been the best redzone target the Jets have had. Mark Sanchez isn't having success because of Mark Sanchez.
    3) Which players exactly did we let go to keep Holmes? Braylon? Who?
    4) If Mike T comes back and brings a legit quarterback to play, who's to say the team struggles?
    5) The offense really isn't in that bad shape.

    Quote Originally Posted by ccugrad1 View Post
    jetsforever, I like the optimism, but I think in some cases you are grabbing at straws, especially on offense. This has to be the most inept offense that I have ever seen in my entire life. There are ZERO QB's, RB's, TE's that will be on this team 3 years from now and MAYBE 1 WR that will be 3 years from now, 2 if Hill gets things going. Braylon has what, 3 practices and is STARTING after being what, the #4 WR with Seattle. Tell you much about the WR corp? I even wonder if he will be back next year

    Even defensively, I think the defense is VASTLY overrated and has really done the bulk of it's work against INFERIOR competition.
    How much of the offense's fault has to do with Sanchez though? Tight ends are gone, running backs I don't see why this group can't do better so long as Powell gets the carries earlier in the year. He's looking good. Greene is looking pretty good again to end the season. Beside a rough start he actually isn't bad. The receivers are potential based and they can be back. Holmes is a problem, the Jets will need to address the number one receiver probably when they can cut him but he really isn't that bad. He's actually pretty talent, talented enough for him to be the hottest potential free agent in the lockout season.

    Defensively, this team gets it done. They have a couple bad games. They are missing one of the best players in the league though. They need to get faster at linebackers. Other than that, so long as we have Rex, that defense is going to be strong. It won't always be 2009. But it'll always be good and good enough to win us football games.

    The team doesn't have a TON of superstars by any means. But other than a few players gone missing, I don't blame Tannenbaum for why the team has missed the playoffs the past 2 seasons looking at it right now.
    Last edited by jetsforever; 12-21-2012 at 11:12 PM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    222
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsforever View Post
    You probably didn't read much of my post.
    1) Tebow is completely and 100% a Woody Johnson move. Jets signed Stanton, said they were done with QBs knowing that Denver might sign Manning and Tebow would be available. If they wanted Tebow they could have just waited.
    2)Sanchez didn't have "zero to work with" and if he did, I don't blame Tanny for it. Derrick Mason was a great signing.
    3) Which players exactly did we let go to keep Holmes? Braylon? Who?

    5) The offense really isn't in that bad shape.
    ill respond in order

    1) We don't know for sure who's idea the Tebow thing was but the GM is the one who makes the trade.I would like to belive everyone sat down in a room and talked about this before they pulled the trigger.We had Drew Stanton at first and we never will know what he could of done because of the Tebow bs.

    2)Derrick Mason was a great signing????? Im not sure how you can say that when we cut him in the middle of the season

    3)Besides Braylon over a two year period he got rid of, Cotchery,Brad Smith,Jason Taylor(was old but went on to lead Miami in sacks following year and lead us in sacks when here , he wanted to come back and is a great leader)Dwight Lowery,Shaun ellis(was old but a leader and always played well)Thomas Jones,Faneca Guys retired who's leadership never were replaced Woody,Jenkins,LT. Burres and Mason are old washed up cancers who didn't belong on this team.Jim Leonhard was a leader and would have been smart to keep for depth.I know I am forgetting others

    4)The offense isn't in bad shape???? I don't even know how you could even pretend that isn't true. The offense struggles with basic NFL concepts John Gruden said it best himself. Sparano's playcalling and game plans have never worked .Sanchez was never able to figure things out and it cost our team big time. The offense embarresed itself so many times this year ive lost count. The offense lacks any kind of leadership. Who is the leader of our offense??? Certainly not Sanchez, Mangold???Kerley??? we have no leaders on the field on offense and it's part of the problem, and there is zero playmakers. There's not one player on our offense that scares any defense in the NFL to say the least.Sanchez is the main problem as long as he is under center its hard to say what our offense is
    Last edited by CurseOfJoeNamth; 12-21-2012 at 11:28 PM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Canadian In Michigan.
    Posts
    42,051
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by CurseOfJoeNamth View Post
    ill respond in order

    1) We don't know for sure who's idea the Tebow thing was but the GM is the one who makes the trade.I would like to belive everyone sat down in a room and talked about this before they pulled the trigger.We had Drew Stanton at first and we never will know what he could of done because of the Tebow bs.
    Just saying, when your GM says "We are done at the QB situation," after signing a player to be a backup even though most teams knew at this point Manning was going to Denver (remember, Peyton signed 3 days later), its pretty obvious that someone got involved and made it known that they wanted Tebow. That someone with enough power to change the GMs view was Woody, the team owner.

    2)Derrick Mason was a great signing????? Im not sure how you can say that when we cut him in the middle of the season
    Look past the production because that has nothing to do with Tanny. Tanny can't make these guys go out and perform, all he can do is sign him. Mason was a great signing that didn't work out because Mason didn't want to learn a new playbook and was too lazy at his old age. Not because he didn't have the talent. He was a great receiver and it was a very wise move by the GM. It just didn't work out. Again, you can't blame everything on a GM.

    3)Besides Braylon over a two year period he got rid of, Cotchery
    Cotchery wanted out in Feb, a month after losing to the Steelers. The team held onto him hoping he'd change his mind. He didn't and in August they gave him his wish. I don't understand why every Jet fan ignores that.
    Brad Smith
    Bills pay him like 4 million dollars a year. The Jets were cash strapped, no way could they bring him back at that price to pretend to be a receiver while also doing the wildcat and returning kicks.
    Jason Taylor(was old but went on to lead Miami in sacks following year and lead us in sacks when here , he wanted to come back and is a great leader)
    Jason Taylor cost a lot of money and will always be a Dolphin. Cash strapped, couldn't bring him back. Don't blame Tanny for that.
    Dwight Lowery
    I'll never understand why they got rid of him. Totally agree with you on this one.
    Shaun ellis(was old but a leader and always played well)
    He was replaced and again, we were cash strapped. Didn't New England give him like 4 million bucks a year or something? That's ridiculous for a guy who didn't show up after Week 4ish in 2010 and then came back for one game in New England.
    Thomas Jones
    Come on dude. Thomas Jones was done. He had like a 2.0 yard per carry with the Cheifs and the Jets needed a pass catching back with Leon gone. LT replaced him and did a great job.
    Faneca
    Gave up I believe 7 sacks his last year with the team and was going to cost the team a buttload of money. He's been well replaced by Slauson.
    Guys retired who's leadership never were replaced Woody,Jenkins,LT.
    You can't just always go and sign leaders. Sometimes other guys have to fill in. Moore was more of a leader than Woody, it was time for Mangold to step up. Pouha was more of a leader than Kris Jenkins who played less than 6 games for Rex Ryan's Jets. LT's leadership was not replaced. That said, didn't you say above you wanted to keep TJ? Can't play it both ways....
    Burres and Mason are old washed up cancers who didn't belong on this team.
    Fair enough. No need to argue over this. But many will tell you Mason was a leader for the Ravens...
    Jim Leonhard was a leader and would have been smart to keep for depth.I know I am forgetting others
    If you want to sign Leonhard back as a depth chart guy I can understand that. I wouldn't have done it. He struggled before his injuries and then he was hurt yet again.

    At the end of the day, we think back and see the team is different. We correlate that with the fact that the Jets haven't had as much success and immediately we think that it must mean the Jets made awful decisions. Aside from a few, the team really hasn't. Necessary decisions were made and most of them worked out the right way. The team degressed because of other reasons and stupid mistakes. Wayne Hunter killed the team last year. This year Mark Sanchez did. But overall the decisions by the front office haven't.

    4)The offense isn't in bad shape???? I don't even know how you could even pretend that isn't true. The offense struggles with basic NFL concepts John Gruden said it best himself. Sparano's playcalling and game plans have never worked.
    Certainly never said to keep Sparano .
    Sanchez was never able to figure things out and it cost our team big time.
    I don't want Mark to start next year. I made that obvious in my post.
    The offense embarresed itself so many times this year ive lost count. The offense lacks any kind of leadership. Who is the leader of our offense??? Certainly not Sanchez, Mangold???Kerley??? we have no leaders on the field on offense and it's part of the problem, and there is zero playmakers.
    Mangold may be a leader. Moore has been but who knows if he is even back. Again though, is it Mike Tannenbaum's job to go out and get leaders? He drafted a quarterback to become the leader and the franchise quarterback and it didn't work. I don't think thats as much his fault. Mark looked the role of a leader his first couple weeks as a Jet... then he stunk it up against Buffalo and became a game manager type of quarterback.

    There's not one player on our offense that scares any defense in the NFL to say the least.
    Stephen Hill could be that guy. Holmes is that guy when he's healthy. The running game behind that oline doesn't need to instill fear but it will do enough damage to make a team take notice. We could use a player to break off a big one. We did resign Braylon... kind of a stretch to say thats what he can become right now but if he can?
    Sanchez is the main problem as long as he is under center its hard to say what our offense is
    Exactly. So why not give Tanny another chance to see what this offense can produce with a different quarterback and another offensive coordinator?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Meow
    Posts
    30,903
    vCash
    1500
    Vernon Gholston was supposed to be what Aldon Smith has become today. So sad.
    Yankees - Jets - Rockets

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Jersey Shore
    Posts
    2,273
    vCash
    1500
    All I have to say is your oon crack and hould read the article I posted earlier. He is terrible and is the reson why we are 6-8 and have two QB's who suck.

    Desean "Jet" Jackson

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    19,336
    vCash
    1500
    Tannenbaum is nothing but a glorified cap specialist he has no right to be a GM of any team in the NFL because he has no clue how to make a team better for the long term


    Props To CheapTrikz For The Sig

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
    Posts
    15,040
    vCash
    1500
    The problem with the Jets, and this has to do with Mike T., is we have so many "Handsomely paid" guys that are nowhere near worth their production. If you were to make a list of a top-15 or 20 most overpaid players, I will guarantee you that Mark Sanchez, Santonio Holmes, Bart Scott, and Calvin Pace would be on most people's lists.

    Also, Tanny was the one who gave Wayne Hunter and Eric Smith multi-million dollar contract extensions and for what?

    And if Tanny was such a good GM, why are the Jets CONSTANTLY 20 million+ over the cap? Yes, they can get under it easily this off-season with a few cuts, but you have to replace those people you cut. I remember reading something a while back where the Jets have like 7 or 8 guys that account for 80 million of our cap space and we have like 46 million for like 45 more roster spots, not taking into account bodies for the preseason. How are you going to be able to give Landry an extension? How about Keller if you wanted to bring him back? That in itself is the work of your GM; that's not good!
    PSD's Muhammad Wilkerson!!!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,905
    vCash
    1600
    Quote Originally Posted by ccugrad1 View Post
    jetsforever, I like the optimism, but I think in some cases you are grabbing at straws, especially on offense. This has to be the most inept offense that I have ever seen in my entire life. There are ZERO QB's, RB's, TE's that will be on this team 3 years from now and MAYBE 1 WR that will be 3 years from now, 2 if Hill gets things going. Braylon has what, 3 practices and is STARTING after being what, the #4 WR with Seattle. Tell you much about the WR corp? I even wonder if he will be back next year

    Even defensively, I think the defense is VASTLY overrated and has really done the bulk of it's work against INFERIOR competition.
    See, I have always believed that this Wide Receiver unit is not even close to as bad as what people make it out to be. If you are going to blame the receivers, it is because you still are trying to defend Sanchez. The fact that we have a bottom 3 offense is ENTIRELY on Sanchez. Sanchez easily has been the worst starting QB in the NFL. I have seen NUMEROUS plays each game where Sanchez does not see the guy WIDE OPEN with no one around him that an average QB would. At least 7 different plays last week, Sanchez missed an open receiver. There was one play where Braylon was WIDE OPEN and Sanchez dumped it down to Greene. If you gave us last years Matt Moore, this would be a top 15 WR core with everyone healthy, I truly believe that. Maybe I am crazy, but if Hill and Kerley progress I firmly believe we have a top 15 receiving core. Holmes is a tricky guy because with a good QB I think he can be very good, but I am not sure if I want to pay him that money. Ultimately, I wouldn't change a thing this offseason in receiver unless we trade Holmes. Maybe try to get a guy like Henderson over Braylon, but I wouldn't spend a pick on receiver in the first 3-4 rounds like most would.

    Is our defense as good as it was in 09-10? No, but we still have a TOP 8 defense without a guy like Revis (Best Defensive Player in the League), and with the worst offense in the league. We have also played with the least productive linebacking core in the league. Wilkerson has played soo well that like JF said, only 3-4 DE you take over him is Watt. Coples has got me starting to believe that he could actually fit in a 3-4. We will probably stay in a 3-4, draft a guy like Jones or Mingo in the first. If Revis comes back strong and guys like Coples, Davis (Why haven't we played him), Wilkerson, and Ellis continue to progress like they have, we have a top 5 defense. Pace, Thomas, and Scott should all be gone. FA, Davis, Harris, #1 Draft Pick should be what our linebacking core looks like.




    Quote Originally Posted by jetsforever View Post
    The Jets should not fire Tanny in my eyes. I've thought about this for a while and I just can't justify firing this guy. No he hasn't been perfect but its very rare a general manager ever is. The Jets have a good team believe it or not and the faults aren't entirely his fault. There are certain things the Jets have put off that need to be addressed but overall, the reason this team isn't succeeding has more to do with players not getting it done than Tannenbaum ****ing up. If you don't want to read the roster analysis I just made you could just scroll down I guess. Its kinda long, maybe not all that necessary.

    Quarterbacks:
    Mark Sanchez- He earned a 4th year to start and he **** the bed. Contract extension was a poor idea and something he should have learned about from the Holmes contract regarding guaranteed money. I don't think he expected Mark to be THIS bad and make him play a 5th year on the team seem like such an awful idea.
    Tim Tebow- Woody Johnson's decision. Tanny and this team brought in Stanton and said that was all they were doing for the QB situation. Remember that.
    Greg McElroy - Great 7th round pick at this point.

    Overall: You get rid of Mark and get someone who doesn't really **** up (could it be McElroy?) and I think this entire team is different.

    Running Backs:
    Shonn Greene- Can't play in September for whatever reason but he is a good running back during this time. A good player the Jets should really look to bring back in a 1b role.
    Blial Powell- Powell is proving to be a good pick, looking like he can play the role of a September back for this team when Greene struggles.
    Joe Mcknight- He doesn't get carries but he is a great return man. He should be seeing more carries. Simply doesn't for whatever reason.

    Overall: Like what I see, almost enough for me to say that I could go into next year with this exact same core.

    Fullback
    John Conner- Not Tanny's pick. This is Rex's pick and he busted. Just want to make that clear.

    Wide Receivers
    Santonio Holmes- He made a mistake paying him as much as he did but Holmes is a good player. Put someone beside him that can make plays and get covered consistently and you have a number 1 type receiver.
    Stephen Hill- He's a rookie and he had a pretty decent season I'd say, unfortunately the Jets needed more from him this year. This pick needs to step it up next year.
    Jeremy Kerley- Could be a great slot receiver. Adjusts to the ball. Fantastic late round draft pick. Should be noted that this was "Schotty's guy" in the draft.
    Chaz Schillens- He's a 4th string receiver. Pretty good in that role.
    Braylon Edwards- Tha gawd.
    Clyde Gates-He has good potential and that's about it. Makes some good plays. This is irrelevant to continue to this point anyways.

    Overall: Again is this a bad core? Not at all. You get an efficient passer and this core next season is going to look pretty good in all honesty. It can be better but mainly, it revolves around Stephen Hill's development at this point. He develops well and the Jets don't even need fixing for the future. I don't see the Jets doing anything important this offseason to improve it. And they wont need to.

    Tight Ends
    Dustin Keller- This is the first player I categorize under the "is it Mike Tannenbaum's fault" list. Is it his fault Keller never grew to his potential? Keller is exactly like Jermichael Finley and Pettigrew. He could have been a top 10 tight end in this league, flashed a few times and then just disappointed. He could go somewhere and be something special but he'll probably just be what he always has been here. Time to wave goodbye and realize this isn't Tanny's fault.

    Offensive Line
    D'brickashaw Ferguson- Gets paid a lot of money and has truly earned it this season. Bounced back well, made his contract worth it.
    Matt Slauson- Is it Tanny that's forcing the team to sub out Slauson for Ducasse? Hope not. Slauson is a good player and should keep seeing reps. Very late round pick guys... just something to note.
    Nick Mangold- Probably a top 3 center in the league in a mediocre year. Mangold has been a great pick and the reason for a ton of success the Jets have had.
    Brandon Moore- Old age may be catching up to him but he hasn't played like it recently.
    Austin Howard- His only mistake was trusting his offensive line coach and the team long enough to think Hunter could actually play for the team this year. Regardless, Howard has been great in comparison. Nothing special but this is a practice squad player the Jets signed. He's been good enough.
    Vlad Ducasse- If the Jets decide to let Brandon Moore go and the Jets start Ducasse in his place, if he doesn't have success necessary, Tanny bites the dust.

    Overall: Don't let people trick you with the "OMG Mark is always pressured." This is a good offensive line. Its not 2008, 2009 or even 2010 good but its far from bad. Without Wayne Hunter, the Jets have proved the offensive line is back.

    Overall Offense: Offense isn't as bad as it looks on Sundays. I loved Mark but I truly believe upon review he is the downfall. There aren't superstars here but I don't think you need superstars, you need efficiency. The Jets can get an efficient quarterback and this team is no different than the past teams that made runs at the AFC Championships.

    Defensive Ends:
    Mo Wilkerson- The dude is a straight up stud. Honestly, with all things considered, only 3-4 defensive end I'd rather have right now is JJ Watt. First round pick that has been great.
    Mike Devito- I've always been tough on Devito because Jet fans think he is so underrated and I've always thought he was just mediocre. But the fact is, the guy has been a decent starter for multiple years as an undrafted free agent. Good player.
    Quinton Coples- Really excited for what he might become. His lack of playing time will disappear next year and I think he will be making plays for us. He's a good player.

    Overall: Depends on if we switch to a 4-3 here but this is a pretty good group of players. Mo's dominance shows that it really doesn't matter what pick you end up with in the draft because there are superstars all over.

    Defensive Tackles:
    Sione Pouha- Is it Tanny's fault he has completely under performed? Nope. Categorize it. Sione was good but he's had a bad season. This is a perfect example of a player getting a general manager in trouble. I don't think very many people said "Let Pouha go" last season. But he's been pretty bad this year and is a reason for defensive problems. I wonder how much the Jets can save by cutting him.
    Kenrick Ellis- He has to get better but I think its time for him to get the reps necessary.

    Outside Linebackers:
    Calvin Pace- There was a time where Calvin Pace was a pass rusher. Now he's too old. That said, he is actually good at containing the run and isn't that bad. But he has to go because he's not good enough in coverage and its time to get a pass rusher.
    Bryan Thomas- See Calvin Pace, copy and paste it here for me.
    Garrett McIntyre- Pretty good at what he does. Far from elite and no Cam Wake but this is a CFL talent who really isn't too bad.
    Vernon Gholston- I'm putting this here because its relevant. We went for a passrusher and it didn't work. 2008 wasn't that long ago. Category this under the "Is it really Tannebaum's fault" again. You put me in that situation again, 9 out of the 10 times, I'm going to take Gholston in that scenario. He busted, that's all there is to it.

    Overall: The Jets haven't addressed this position in years but they will do so I think. Just pray its not a Gholston.

    Inside Linebackers
    David Harris- "Is it really Mike Tannebaum's fault?" The contract is far from outrageous considering what he can provide but he isn't doing it. He earned an elite contract because he put together some elite seasons. Is he overpayed? Maybe a little but not too much. He just has to play like he has shown he can.
    Bart Scott- Great signing to start the Rex era and a huge reason the Jets had as much success as they did when they were really competing. He's basically done now and won't be back but for 3 years he provided goods for this team.
    Demario Davis- Don't get why the Jets stopped giving him reps after the Patriots game. I think he is very good and will be very good for this team.

    Overall: Depends on if we switch to a 4-3 this year but the Jets got Demario who will be on the team for a while me thinks. David Harris better step it up.

    Secondary
    Yermiah Bell- Good old veteran who has shown what he can do. He's been very strong this year for the Jets. Tanny saw the safeties as a weakness last year and fixed it. Give him credit.
    Laron Landry- Has turned out to be a great signing. Not sure the team can bring him back but he wasn't a liability, brought back the Jet attitude the team used to have when we were really good and hit like a WMD.
    Eric Smith- Jet fans begged for him to be cut but Tanny man'd up and did a smart move by keeping him. He's a good player in a rotational role.
    Darrelle Revis- Revis Christ. But don't give Tanny credit, every good pick from the before Rex era is because of Mangini.
    Antonio Cromartie- Dominant. The Jets traded for Cro and it's worked out brilliantly. He is a top 10 corner in this league easily. My biggest problem with everything Tanny has done is based around the Asomugha scenario. He nearly ****ed up huge with that.
    Kyle Wilson- He's not great and I wish in retrospect the Jets went elsewhere. But I don't blame Tanny for the pick, I blame Wilson for not developing better. He's a pretty good nickelback.

    Overall: Bold comment here but if Revis doesn't get hurt this season, I really don't think teams would have scored points on our defense.


    Its easy to look at some of the things Tanny's done and get mad. But dont forget how much good he has done for the team. Don't forget how we got to the spot where we were legit contenders for a superbowl. And really, look at the fact that we went all in basically for 2010 and put ourselves in cap hell, yet the team never really decreased in talent THAT much. Most of the reasons the team hasn't had success falls on the players.

    http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...d.php?t=414638

    There is a reason we said he was one of the best GMs in the league not too long ago.
    I agree with a lot of what you said about the makeup of this team. While I think Powell should definitely be back, Green should not. Never been a huge Green fan and still think we should take a look at a guy in FA. However, give us an average even below average QB and this is an 8-6 if not 9-5 team. But I still believe Tanny need to be fired because you still can not justify the contracts given to Holmes, Sanchez, and Harris. If Holmes and Sanchez were not making this type of money, this team would be such and easy fix and would be back to deep playoff runs in no time.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    427
    vCash
    1500
    Great post but Tanny is gone....his drafts have been horrible and the Sanchez contract was the icing on the cake.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    6,593
    vCash
    1428
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsforever View Post
    The Jets should not fire Tanny in my eyes. I've thought about this for a while and I just can't justify firing this guy. No he hasn't been perfect but its very rare a general manager ever is. The Jets have a good team believe it or not and the faults aren't entirely his fault. There are certain things the Jets have put off that need to be addressed but overall, the reason this team isn't succeeding has more to do with players not getting it done than Tannenbaum ****ing up. If you don't want to read the roster analysis I just made you could just scroll down I guess. Its kinda long, maybe not all that necessary.
    The Jets should demote Tanny, if he doesn't want to except the demotion then he should be fired. Tanny is not a football man, he is a glorified accountant.

    Quarterbacks:
    Mark Sanchez- He earned a 4th year to start and he **** the bed. Contract extension was a poor idea and something he should have learned about from the Holmes contract regarding guaranteed money. I don't think he expected Mark to be THIS bad and make him play a 5th year on the team seem like such an awful idea.
    Tim Tebow- Woody Johnson's decision. Tanny and this team brought in Stanton and said that was all they were doing for the QB situation. Remember that.
    Greg McElroy - Great 7th round pick at this point.
    Is Mark Sanchez a bust?
    He was a Tanny guy.
    That deserves to be noted.

    Overall: You get rid of Mark and get someone who doesn't really **** up (could it be McElroy?) and I think this entire team is different.

    Running Backs:
    Shonn Greene- Can't play in September for whatever reason but he is a good running back during this time. A good player the Jets should really look to bring back in a 1b role.
    Blial Powell- Powell is proving to be a good pick, looking like he can play the role of a September back for this team when Greene struggles.
    Joe Mcknight- He doesn't get carries but he is a great return man. He should be seeing more carries. Simply doesn't for whatever reason.

    Overall: Like what I see, almost enough for me to say that I could go into next year with this exact same core.
    No problem bringing back the same core.

    Fullback
    John Conner- Not Tanny's pick. This is Rex's pick and he busted. Just want to make that clear.
    How exactly is a 4th round pick that played several seasons a bust? It's not like the Jets spent or traded up in the 1st for him.
    So what he wasn't a pro-bowler, fact is the Jets ended up with a better FB in Lex (whom was Sparano's call, not Tanny's).


    Wide Receivers
    Santonio Holmes- He made a mistake paying him as much as he did but Holmes is a good player. Put someone beside him that can make plays and get covered consistently and you have a number 1 type receiver.
    Stephen Hill- He's a rookie and he had a pretty decent season I'd say, unfortunately the Jets needed more from him this year. This pick needs to step it up next year.
    Jeremy Kerley- Could be a great slot receiver. Adjusts to the ball. Fantastic late round draft pick. Should be noted that this was "Schotty's guy" in the draft.
    Chaz Schillens- He's a 4th string receiver. Pretty good in that role.
    Braylon Edwards- Tha gawd.
    Clyde Gates-He has good potential and that's about it. Makes some good plays. This is irrelevant to continue to this point anyways.

    Overall: Again is this a bad core? Not at all. You get an efficient passer and this core next season is going to look pretty good in all honesty. It can be better but mainly, it revolves around Stephen Hill's development at this point. He develops well and the Jets don't even need fixing for the future. I don't see the Jets doing anything important this offseason to improve it. And they wont need to.

    Tight Ends
    Dustin Keller- This is the first player I categorize under the "is it Mike Tannenbaum's fault" list. Is it his fault Keller never grew to his potential? Keller is exactly like Jermichael Finley and Pettigrew. He could have been a top 10 tight end in this league, flashed a few times and then just disappointed. He could go somewhere and be something special but he'll probably just be what he always has been here. Time to wave goodbye and realize this isn't Tanny's fault.
    Wait how is Dustin Keller a player that was a NUMBER 1 draft pick, that has NOT lived up to his potential with the team not a bust, and a 4th rounder that has not lived up to his potential a bust.
    That's called "favoritism".
    Fact is, Keller for all his gifts has been a disappointment in both the receiving and blocking game, and who traded up to draft him?
    Tanny.

    Offensive Line
    D'brickashaw Ferguson- Gets paid a lot of money and has truly earned it this season. Bounced back well, made his contract worth it.
    Matt Slauson- Is it Tanny that's forcing the team to sub out Slauson for Ducasse? Hope not. Slauson is a good player and should keep seeing reps. Very late round pick guys... just something to note.
    Slausen was horrible as pass protection, and Ducasse did a solid job spelling him.
    Speaking of the much maligned Ducasse, who drafted him in the 2nd round?


    Nick Mangold- Probably a top 3 center in the league in a mediocre year. Mangold has been a great pick and the reason for a ton of success the Jets have had.
    The reason for a ton of success the Jets have had?
    BS!!!
    It's time for a reality check for you Mangold huggers: He's one of the best centers in the league, BUT he's not the best blocker on the Jets.
    Making OL calls means nothing special because that can be done from the Guards if need be (Faneca and Moore have do it previously for the Jets).
    Point being Mangold is NOT the reason for a ton of successes the Jets have had, if anything Mangold has shown he is at his best when he does not have a DL line up directly on top of him and he can use his ability to hit the 2nd level of defenders.

    Brandon Moore- Old age may be catching up to him but he hasn't played like it recently.
    Austin Howard- His only mistake was trusting his offensive line coach and the team long enough to think Hunter could actually play for the team this year. Regardless, Howard has been great in comparison. Nothing special but this is a practice squad player the Jets signed. He's been good enough.
    Vlad Ducasse- If the Jets decide to let Brandon Moore go and the Jets start Ducasse in his place, if he doesn't have success necessary, Tanny bites the dust.

    Overall: Don't let people trick you with the "OMG Mark is always pressured." This is a good offensive line. Its not 2008, 2009 or even 2010 good but its far from bad. Without Wayne Hunter, the Jets have proved the offensive line is back.

    Overall Offense: Offense isn't as bad as it looks on Sundays. I loved Mark but I truly believe upon review he is the downfall. There aren't superstars here but I don't think you need superstars, you need efficiency. The Jets can get an efficient quarterback and this team is no different than the past teams that made runs at the AFC Championships.
    The offense WAS as bad as it looked on Sunday's because the QB was a dud.

    Defensive Ends:
    Mo Wilkerson- The dude is a straight up stud. Honestly, with all things considered, only 3-4 defensive end I'd rather have right now is JJ Watt. First round pick that has been great.
    Mike Devito- I've always been tough on Devito because Jet fans think he is so underrated and I've always thought he was just mediocre. But the fact is, the guy has been a decent starter for multiple years as an undrafted free agent. Good player.
    Quinton Coples- Really excited for what he might become. His lack of playing time will disappear next year and I think he will be making plays for us. He's a good player.

    Overall: Depends on if we switch to a 4-3 here but this is a pretty good group of players. Mo's dominance shows that it really doesn't matter what pick you end up with in the draft because there are superstars all over.

    Defensive Tackles:
    Sione Pouha- Is it Tanny's fault he has completely under performed? Nope. Categorize it. Sione was good but he's had a bad season. This is a perfect example of a player getting a general manager in trouble. I don't think very many people said "Let Pouha go" last season. But he's been pretty bad this year and is a reason for defensive problems. I wonder how much the Jets can save by cutting him.
    Kenrick Ellis- He has to get better but I think its time for him to get the reps necessary.

    Outside Linebackers:
    Calvin Pace- There was a time where Calvin Pace was a pass rusher. Now he's too old. That said, he is actually good at containing the run and isn't that bad. But he has to go because he's not good enough in coverage and its time to get a pass rusher.
    Bryan Thomas- See Calvin Pace, copy and paste it here for me.
    Garrett McIntyre- Pretty good at what he does. Far from elite and no Cam Wake but this is a CFL talent who really isn't too bad.
    Vernon Gholston- I'm putting this here because its relevant. We went for a passrusher and it didn't work. 2008 wasn't that long ago. Category this under the "Is it really Tannebaum's fault" again. You put me in that situation again, 9 out of the 10 times, I'm going to take Gholston in that scenario. He busted, that's all there is to it.
    Who signed Scott, Pace and Bryan Thomas to large deals?
    Who drafted Gholston?
    Was Gholston a bust?
    What round was Gholston drafted in?

    Overall: The Jets haven't addressed this position in years but they will do so I think. Just pray its not a Gholston.

    Inside Linebackers
    David Harris- "Is it really Mike Tannebaum's fault?" The contract is far from outrageous considering what he can provide but he isn't doing it. He earned an elite contract because he put together some elite seasons. Is he overpayed? Maybe a little but not too much. He just has to play like he has shown he can.
    Bart Scott- Great signing to start the Rex era and a huge reason the Jets had as much success as they did when they were really competing. He's basically done now and won't be back but for 3 years he provided goods for this team.
    Demario Davis- Don't get why the Jets stopped giving him reps after the Patriots game. I think he is very good and will be very good for this team.

    Overall: Depends on if we switch to a 4-3 this year but the Jets got Demario who will be on the team for a while me thinks. David Harris better step it up.

    Secondary
    Yermiah Bell- Good old veteran who has shown what he can do. He's been very strong this year for the Jets. Tanny saw the safeties as a weakness last year and fixed it. Give him credit.
    Laron Landry- Has turned out to be a great signing. Not sure the team can bring him back but he wasn't a liability, brought back the Jet attitude the team used to have when we were really good and hit like a WMD.
    Eric Smith- Jet fans begged for him to be cut but Tanny man'd up and did a smart move by keeping him. He's a good player in a rotational role.
    Darrelle Revis- Revis Christ. But don't give Tanny credit, every good pick from the before Rex era is because of Mangini.
    Antonio Cromartie- Dominant. The Jets traded for Cro and it's worked out brilliantly. He is a top 10 corner in this league easily. My biggest problem with everything Tanny has done is based around the Asomugha scenario. He nearly ****ed up huge with that.
    Kyle Wilson- He's not great and I wish in retrospect the Jets went elsewhere. But I don't blame Tanny for the pick, I blame Wilson for not developing better. He's a pretty good nickelback.
    Who traded undervalued the trade of Kerry Rhodes?
    Who traded away the Jets misused FS in Dwight Lowery?

    Overall: Bold comment here but if Revis doesn't get hurt this season, I really don't think teams would have scored points on our defense.


    Its easy to look at some of the things Tanny's done and get mad. But dont forget how much good he has done for the team. Don't forget how we got to the spot where we were legit contenders for a superbowl. And really, look at the fact that we went all in basically for 2010 and put ourselves in cap hell, yet the team never really decreased in talent THAT much. Most of the reasons the team hasn't had success falls on the players.

    http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...d.php?t=414638

    There is a reason we said he was one of the best GMs in the league not too long ago.
    Tanny may survive 1 more year if only to see if added changes help Rex, and if he does, both he and Rex and in an extremely hot seat all next year.
    In fact, if next season repeats the failures of this year, one or both of them will not make it to the end of the season.

    Again, Tanny is a glorified accountant, not a football brainiac.
    Last edited by MrX27; 12-22-2012 at 12:00 PM.


Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •