Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BradHolt4CYoung View Post
    We are not competing in 2013 and is Hairston really part of our future plans?

Would rather get a younger player and see what he can do. I dont see the point of paying Hairston 5mil in 2014 when we will be spending big money in the offseason on bats and actually looking to compete.

The only reason we would get Hairston is so that our 2013 OF is a little less pitiful looking and maybe eases the fans frustrations a bit in the FOs eyes. I dont see a big enough difference I'd rather savior the money or spend it on someone younger
    I hear you but who do we have in the minors that are a part of our future plans. Let's not fool ourselves with the Mike Baxters of the world. Baxter is about as much a part of our future as Hairston is. I'll take Hairston and his 20 bombs until we acquire somone younger and better.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsnQueens7 View Post
    Upton. He is a piece our rebuilding team needs. HE IS YOUNG ENOUGH CMON SANDY!!!
    Towers is going to ask way too much for him and that would totally deplete the little bit of talented youth we do have. We'd just be making Arizona better, I'll pass. Texas should be going hard after Upton, they can afford to give up top prospects for one player whereas we can't.

vCash
    4/56 for Swisher. Ridiculous contract in my view and the cupboard is now about empty. Mets are going to have an outfield for the ages.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinde View Post
    4/56 for Swisher. Ridiculous contract in my view and the cupboard is now about empty. Mets are going to have an outfield for the ages.
    These teams are just so damn foolish with they way they are just handing money out to guys who aren't difference makers. The Greinke, Ross, Swisher and Sanchez contracts are a sign of desperation and irresponsibility for the teams that signed them.

vCash
    I don't even see Greinke as a difference maker because when he is needed the most the pressure consumes him.

vCash
    The outlandish deals that today's free agents are getting only underscores the wisdom of seeking to build through strategic trades. We have the chips to acquire one or two good young outfielders. Sandy has demonstrated that he knows how to get excellent value in return for whoever he sends away. I only hope that he is bold enough in the remaining off season to use his chips wisely and build for the future.
    Former B'klyn Dodger fan. Mets Maniac since 1962.

vCash
    Sandy has been able to get excellent value when the player he is trading has been one of the best players in baseball that year. As far as getting good value for other players? well that is still to be seeing, the Pagan trade is the one example of that, but is just one example.
    Last edited by Sick Of It All; 12-23-2012 at 09:57 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    Sandy has been able to get excellent value when the player he is trading has been one of the best players in baseball that year. As far as getting good value for other players? well that is still to be seeing, the Pagan trade is the one example of that, but is just one example.
    What do you think of Cowgill for Marte?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dunbummin View Post
    What do you think of Cowgill for Marte?
    I think is a fair trade, I am a Marte believer and think he has very good potential, but he was blocked in this organization. He could be a guy we wished we had a few years down the road. As for Cowgill he also has decent potential and fits better for this team now because of the lack of outfielders.

...but let's put it this way, if Beane wants a player you have to wonder why?

vCash
    I love the Cowgill for Marte deal. Marte had no position for us and his bat has been fading the last couple years.

I think we got a pretty decent OFer in Cowgill. I think he can be a nice bench/spot start guy for us not only in 2013 but in the years following in which we are actually supposed to compete.

vCash
    The way I look at it, the Mets got a versatile (plays all 3 OF positions) major league ready player, who hits lefties well enough to start when we face LH pitching. The A's got a 21 year old kid with some upside, restricted to 3B, which will prevent him from getting to the majors with the Mets. I think in the long run, Cowgill will be the better player.

Beane may have a card up his sleeve, but he'll have to wait a couple of years to play it. Even then we don't know what the value of that card will be. Could be an ace, but it could be a deuce too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    But according to most Pagan had a crappy 2011 season so what he got in return for him wasn't bad, they just didn't excell in New York.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rdg515 View Post
    With Ross off the board Hairston and Rivera are the best of the rest for now...remember Sizemore won't be ready until mid-season. Next option is the salary dump...ASoriano for a middling prospect or two with CHI offering to pick up 26 of the $36m is equal to a Hairston deal...who would hit better? And it wouldn't be a shame if we won 82 games!
    I like that. Soriano would be a definite up grade and if the Cubs would eat a decent amount of his salary it could work. Soriano is not that bad defensively as everyone thinks. He will not make you forget Roberto Clemente but he is serviceable out there, certainly better than Duda.

That said though, if the Cubs were going to eat $26 million how is it a salary dump for them?

vCash
    Oh, so they weren't going to address the OF then? quelle surprise.

How did all that patience pan out?

vCash
    No offense but I am starting to buy more into what Marty McFly has been saying. THIS is the so-called "payroll flexibility" they keep talking about? Such payroll flexibility that we cannot even afford a mediocre player like Scott Hairston? Such payroll flexibility that we are the only team in all of Major League Baseball that has NOT signed a major league free agent?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast