Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Best Free Agent OF Options Left(Cody Ross Signs With AZ-3 Years)

If our in house experts are correct we would not have a protected 1st round pick in 2013 so the likelihood of signing a Type A free agent [Bourn, Swisher] could drop significantly...I still like Bourn but imagine what ATL would do with our #11 pick...whoever they drafted would probably haunt us for a decade so let's pass then. Both rejected qualifying offers so I believe that means they cannot re-sign with their former team until some time in early March---a non-issue since ATL got Upton and NYY re-signed Ichiro. So who's left [no pun intended], so let's focus first on preferably righties [a few of the best options in bold italics]?

From the Free Agents List at MLBTradeRumors:

Left Fielders
    Bobby Abreu (39)
    Endy Chavez (35)
    Johnny Damon (39)
    Mark DeRosa (38)
    Matt Diaz (35)
    Kosuke Fukudome (36)
    Scott Hairston (33)
    Bill Hall (33)
    Raul Ibanez (41)---always wanted this guy, always hits, another lefty DH type
    Austin Kearns (31)---a shell of what he was in 2003-07
    Don Kelly (33)
    Darnell McDonald (34)
    Ryan Raburn (32)
    Juan Rivera (34)
    Cody Ross (32)

Vinny Rottino (33) ---been there done that
    Delmon Young (27)

Center Fielders
    Rick Ankiel (33)---only good seaon was in 2008...now a .230 hitter and lefty
    Michael Bourn (30)
    Nyjer Morgan (32)---Milledge type personality---is it worth the risk?
    Scott Podsednik (37)---lefty who stole 30 bases in 2010---hurt, now looks well past his prime
    Grady Sizemore (30)

Right Fielders
    Jeff Baker (32)---pinch hitter/5th outfielder---no thanks
    Ben Francisco (31)---early promise fizzled...a pinch hitter now
    Ryan Sweeney (28)---same as Francisco
    Nick Swisher (32)---switch hitter 28 93 .262 wants multi-year deal at $13M per

1) Hairston is an obvious choice--SA would have to match the two year offers out there so soemthing around Ludwick money [$15M/2 years] is likely. Hairston is a known commodity and valuable man off the bench if he ends up being passed by newer players. He can play either corner so if Duda is in left Hairston fills RF.

2) Cody Ross is 31 and can also play all three OF spots and averages 22 83 .262 over a full season---almost exactly what he hit in BOS last year.

3) Juan Rivera is an interesting choice...now 34 the former Angel and Yankee averages in a 580 AB season 20 83 .274 with no speed, He can play 1B so on days Ike is sitting that adds a little punch. Last year in 311 ABs he went 9 47 .244---another useful tool but not exciting. He has neevr made more than $4m in a season so he carries a low price tag....better as a fourth OFer than a starter.

4) Mark DeRosa---now 37 and hurt he was good in 2006-09 averaging 18 78 .285 but he looks done. He does play six psoitions so more of a bench guy now.

5) Delmon Young---27 and averages 16 89 .284 in a full season---good hitter but plays only LF, DH and 1B and we are booked there at this moment. And he would cost $10M per...doable only if Duda is traded first.

6) Grady Sizemore (30)---recuperating from microfracture surgery--see Beltran---may be worth waiting til June to see if you caught lightning in a bottle---former All Star may be worth a make good incentive laden contract and let Kirk and Cowgill play in the meantime. May like the fact that the Mets had a player return to form after this procedure---but didn't Beltran use his own docs????

There is always the salary dump market---ASoriano, VWells---to name a few potential stopgap players while we wait for the kids.
    Bob
    Met fan since 1969

vCash
    Please sign Bobby Abreu.

vCash
    First I love the strategy the OP spoke of. The vision needs to be long term, and giving Atlanta a pick will be a lost opportunity for us, and an opportunity for the Braves to hurt us for a decade. 2013 is going to be 4th place, so there is no sacrificing the future for a few extra wins in 2013. Well said!!!

Now about who we can sign for 2013, I'd say why not Jonny Damon????? I mean he's only had one bad year in his whole career, and he wouldn't mind trying to get to 3000 hits. He'd be cheap, and he could bat lead off. It would be entertaining.

I don't want Scott Hairston here anymore. Let him go elsewhere.

vCash
    there is no one on that list worth it

they mine as well just play what they have at this point since after trading dickey its clear there punting 2013

vCash
    Hairston and Ross are the only two FA's I would really be interested in. Both have the pop we need and can play all 3 outfield position pretty well. If the money is equal, I'd choose Ross, but if Hairston would return for less money than Ross, (say 2 years/$10 million) he's my guy.

There are 3 trade options I'd really like to pursue; Alejandro De Aza, Emilio Bonifacio or Coco Crisp. We need some speed at the leadoff spot, and either of them would provide it. I'd love it id Sandy would sign one of the FAs and make one of the trades. An outfield of Ross, De Aza and Nieuwenhuis/Cowgill (platoon) would excite me.

It's too bad Sandy didn't pick up Scott Van Slyke on waivers. He could have competed for a job in ST. There are a couple of minor league FAs I would sign and invite to ST. Drew Locke, a 30 year old righty, and Tim Smith, a 27 year old lefty.
    Former B'klyn Dodger fan. Mets Maniac since 1962.

vCash
    Duplicate post, for some reason.
    Former B'klyn Dodger fan. Mets Maniac since 1962.

vCash
    Also non-free agents might fit the bill, if we can get them for a reasonable player or prospect: Coco Crisp? Alex Gordon? Emilio Bonifacio? Alejandro De Aza? Cole Calhoun? Jarrod Dyson? Tim Fedruff? Jason Kubel? Dexter Fowler? Tony Campana? Carlos Lee? Dariel Alvarex (Cuban defector)?

vCash
    I would like to see Coco Crisp. Also why not take a chance with Vlad Guerrero to platoon with Duda? I am sure pitchers still would not like to have to face him even at this age. Clearly not every day player but nice right hand bat.

vCash
    Lets sign Ross and call it good.
    " You seek Yoda!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by letsgometsgo View Post
    Also non-free agents might fit the bill, if we can get them for a reasonable player or prospect: Coco Crisp? Alex Gordon? Emilio Bonifacio? Alejandro De Aza? Cole Calhoun? Jarrod Dyson? Tim Fedruff? Jason Kubel? Dexter Fowler? Tony Campana? Carlos Lee? Dariel Alvarex (Cuban defector)?
    Gordon, Kubel, and Fowler would cost quite a bit to acquire after having good seasons last year.
    Crisp makes $6 million which is a bit much for an average player, although i see they are interested in him.
    I like Bonifacio as a leadoff hitter and I don't think he'd be all that difficult to acquire.
    Dyson is another name that interests me. He has great speed and would be great in centerfield, but i'm not sold on his bat, but he should be cheap which is a plus.
    I'm not sure Chicago is ready to get rid of De Aza.
    Campana and Calhoun are interesting, but i'm not sure what they would cost us.
    I've never heard of Fedruff or Alvarex.
    And hell no to Carlos Lee

I would really like to get Cody Ross though. Ross/Bonifacio/Duda wouldn't be too awful

Brooklyn to Denver to L.A. to Denver and back to L.A.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dunbummin View Post
    Hairston and Ross are the only two FA's I would really be interested in. Both have the pop we need and can play all 3 outfield position pretty well. If the money is equal, I'd choose Ross, but if Hairston would return for less money than Ross, (say 2 years/$10 million) he's my guy.

There are 3 trade options I'd really like to pursue; Alejandro De Aza, Emilio Bonifacio or Coco Crisp. We need some speed at the leadoff spot, and either of them would provide it. I'd love it id Sandy would sign one of the FAs and make one of the trades. An outfield of Ross, De Aza and Nieuwenhuis/Cowgill (platoon) would excite me.

It's too bad Sandy didn't pick up Scott Van Slyke on waivers. He could have competed for a job in ST. There are a couple of minor league FAs I would sign and invite to ST. Drew Locke, a 30 year old righty, and Tim Smith, a 27 year old lefty.
    Yes.

The rest aren't worth it.....

We might as well play our younger guys this year and filter the men from the boys.
    We Need More Players Like Keith!!!!!

Mets Dieharder Since '63
    Broncos Dieharder Since '73
    Los Angeles Kings Dieharder Since 1987
    Los Angeles Kings 2012 and 2014 Stanley Cup Champions -
    Denver Rockets/Nuggets Dieharder Since '73

ua you're gone, but never forgotten, R.I.P.

Brooklyn to Denver to L.A. to Denver and back to L.A.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rdg515 View Post
    If our in house experts are correct we would not have a protected 1st round pick in 2013 so the likelihood of signing a Type A free agent [Bourn, Swisher] could drop significantly...I still like Bourn but imagine what ATL would do with our #11 pick...whoever they drafted would probably haunt us for a decade so let's pass then. Both rejected qualifying offers so I believe that means they cannot re-sign with their former team until some time in early March---a non-issue since ATL got Upton and NYY re-signed Ichiro. So who's left [no pun intended], so let's focus first on preferably righties [a few of the best options in bold italics]?

From the Free Agents List at MLBTradeRumors:

Left Fielders
    Bobby Abreu (39)
    Endy Chavez (35)
    Johnny Damon (39)
    Mark DeRosa (38)
    Matt Diaz (35)
    Kosuke Fukudome (36)
    Scott Hairston (33)
    Bill Hall (33)
    Raul Ibanez (41)---always wanted this guy, always hits, another lefty DH type
    Austin Kearns (31)---a shell of what he was in 2003-07
    Don Kelly (33)
    Darnell McDonald (34)
    Ryan Raburn (32)
    Juan Rivera (34)
    Cody Ross (32)

Vinny Rottino (33) ---been there done that
    Delmon Young (27)

Center Fielders
    Rick Ankiel (33)---only good seaon was in 2008...now a .230 hitter and lefty
    Michael Bourn (30)
    Nyjer Morgan (32)---Milledge type personality---is it worth the risk?
    Scott Podsednik (37)---lefty who stole 30 bases in 2010---hurt, now looks well past his prime
    Grady Sizemore (30)

Right Fielders
    Jeff Baker (32)---pinch hitter/5th outfielder---no thanks
    Ben Francisco (31)---early promise fizzled...a pinch hitter now
    Ryan Sweeney (28)---same as Francisco
    Nick Swisher (32)---switch hitter 28 93 .262 wants multi-year deal at $13M per

1) Hairston is an obvious choice--SA would have to match the two year offers out there so soemthing around Ludwick money [$15M/2 years] is likely. Hairston is a known commodity and valuable man off the bench if he ends up being passed by newer players. He can play either corner so if Duda is in left Hairston fills RF.

2) Cody Ross is 31 and can also play all three OF spots and averages 22 83 .262 over a full season---almost exactly what he hit in BOS last year.

3) Juan Rivera is an interesting choice...now 34 the former Angel and Yankee averages in a 580 AB season 20 83 .274 with no speed, He can play 1B so on days Ike is sitting that adds a little punch. Last year in 311 ABs he went 9 47 .244---another useful tool but not exciting. He has neevr made more than $4m in a season so he carries a low price tag....better as a fourth OFer than a starter.

4) Mark DeRosa---now 37 and hurt he was good in 2006-09 averaging 18 78 .285 but he looks done. He does play six psoitions so more of a bench guy now.

5) Delmon Young---27 and averages 16 89 .284 in a full season---good hitter but plays only LF, DH and 1B and we are booked there at this moment. And he would cost $10M per...doable only if Duda is traded first.

6) Grady Sizemore (30)---recuperating from microfracture surgery--see Beltran---may be worth waiting til June to see if you caught lightning in a bottle---former All Star may be worth a make good incentive laden contract and let Kirk and Cowgill play in the meantime. May like the fact that the Mets had a player return to form after this procedure---but didn't Beltran use his own docs????

There is always the salary dump market---ASoriano, VWells---to name a few potential stopgap players while we wait for the kids.
    Nice job rdg! I appreciate all the detail.

Thank you. Job well done......
    We Need More Players Like Keith!!!!!

Mets Dieharder Since '63
    Broncos Dieharder Since '73
    Los Angeles Kings Dieharder Since 1987
    Los Angeles Kings 2012 and 2014 Stanley Cup Champions -
    Denver Rockets/Nuggets Dieharder Since '73

ua you're gone, but never forgotten, R.I.P.

vCash
    Dariel Alvarez?

vCash
    Still want Young, but Wilpons unlikely to want him due to his comments last season.

vCash
    You know I was an advocate for signing Cody Ross but now that I think about it the last OFer we got from Boston didn't work out too well so...

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast