Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

We're not switching to a 3-4 defense

MOBILE, Ala. -- At the end of the season, when coach Jim Schwartz said the Detroit Lions could make adjustments to its defensive scheme based on personnel changes, the quote was taken by some in the local and national media as an indication Schwartz could make drastic alterations, potentially scrapping the Wide 9 and installing a 3-4 defense.

Asked if he would seriously consider altering his base defense for the 2013 season, Schwartz definitively shot down the idea.

"We're not going to a 3-4."

As for the Wide-9, the extra wide, angled defensive end alignment the Lions use on most downs, Schwartz didn't see it as the problem last year.

"We didn't have enough sacks this year," he said. "To be able to blame that on the Wide 9, the people that say that really don't know what they're talking about. Every team in league, when it's third down, lines up exactly the way we do it. It puts guys in the best position to rush the passer."

Schwartz will tell you the decision to run the Wide-9 is based on the team's personnel. He feels it best suited the strengths of the defensive ends Cliff Avril, Kyle Vanden Bosch, Lawrence Jackson and Willie Young.

It's also part of his coaching philosophy, something he's not planning to overhaul.

"You always have a philosophy and the philosophy is behind your player acquisitions," Schwartz said. "You always have a plan for every player. You don't just pull names out of a hat and say, 'Hey, this is where you're going to fit him.'"

What you could reasonably expect to see is a reduction in the usage of the wide pass rush, but that will be determined by the skills the 2013 roster exhibits throughout the offseason.

"We predominately play a Wide 9, but we play other fronts," Schwartz said. "I think it depends on the personnel, how we go through our OTAs, everything. We're always working to look at and tweak. You never say never, but that's our base front."

Sticking with the defensive philosophy allows the Lions to keep an open mind with their draft board, looking at both 4-3 defensive ends and 3-4 rush linebackers --players like Georgia's Jarvis Jones -- to play on the edge in Detroit.

"What probably doesn't fit into our scheme is the 300-pound defensive end," Schwartz said. "But the guys that are hybrid outside linebacker types, guys that are 255, 265 pounds, traditionally guys that can run, guys that have good athletic ability, those guys generally fit into a wider-technique scheme."
    http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf...schwar_73.html

vCash
    Not a fan of the wide 9. Although if we upgrade the DE spots we should be able to generate a better pass rush.

vCash
    This sucks, I was really hoping that this year he'd be open switching things up a bit. I'm not sure if he's stubborn or stupid.
    Don't just read our posts, JOIN US! click here
    2011 AND 2012 JWE & Strives Lions prediction game Champion
    Lions Forum: 5 Time OTT Winner#1,#6,#10, #12 & #14
    Quote Originally Posted by GuySir View Post
    Lffs is the master at going from goofball to boss

vCash
    "We didn't have enough sacks this year," he said. "To be able to blame that on the Wide 9, the people that say that really don't know what they're talking about. Every team in league, when it's third down, lines up exactly the way we do it. It puts guys in the best position to rush the passer."
    Hey, Mr. Shartz, EVERY TEAM USES IT ON 3rd DOWN EH? WHY DO WE USE IT EVERY DOWN THEN ASSWAD.

Sincerely, cwick

Off-season Sucks

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionsfanfromsac View Post
    This sucks, I was really hoping that this year he'd be open switching things up a bit. I'm not sure if he's stubborn or stupid.
    Ill take a bit of each plz for 200 bob

Off-season Sucks

vCash
    not a fan of the wide 9 but this team does not have the people to start not to mention actually have the depth needed to run a 3-4 defense

vCash
    Why would we change from the 4-3? Wide 9 isn't anything terrible as D-line adjustments are made constantly throughout the game. We just didn't have elite pass rushing. Suh and Fairly can be great DTs, why switch it up?

vCash
    I think the question is, can we get elite pass rushing this offseason? If not, then common sense would dictate that they've got to rethink the defensive scheme to fit that players they actually have on the roster.

vCash
    Thank you Shartz for pointing out "people who think that don't know what they are talking about." You ****ing arrogant prick.

Coaches that finish 4-12 and talk **** about others lack of knowledge don't understand football either. You win or gtfo ***hole. How about that? Win mother ****er and don't worry about making excuses and being smarter than other people. We know u are stupid enough to ****-up a 10-6 playoff team, now show us u can turn it around or gtfo. You should be smart enough to understand that, moron.

So sick of this prick's attitude. Win...just win...WIN!!! No more excuses and we don't care how smart you are...WIN!!!!!!
    2013 PSD Lions Forum Fantasy Football Champion

vCash
    Amen, brotha.

Scrap Detroit!!

Quote Originally Posted by basch152 View Post
    First of all, players like Matthews and Ware actually ARE overrated...

Quote Originally Posted by basch152 View Post
    No, the best comparison to Miggy is Albert Pujols. And I'll be honest, Cabrera doesn't really compare favorably to Pujols.

Born & Raised in Michigan but now in Columbus Ohio
    vCash
    After a brief hiatus I'm back and I see this B S Jim Schwartz sucks and I use to be a fan of his
    GIFSoup

The Old Kingwood313 is Back

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cwick925 View Post
    Hey, Mr. Shartz, EVERY TEAM USES IT ON 3rd DOWN EH? WHY DO WE USE IT EVERY DOWN THEN ASSWAD.

Sincerely, cwick
    every team (when losing by 8 or less) goes for the hail mary on the last play of the game because it puts their team in the best position to win. I guess that means we should hail mary every play of every down.
    schwartslogic
    Don't just read our posts, JOIN US! click here
    2011 AND 2012 JWE & Strives Lions prediction game Champion
    Lions Forum: 5 Time OTT Winner#1,#6,#10, #12 & #14
    Quote Originally Posted by GuySir View Post
    Lffs is the master at going from goofball to boss

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionsfanfromsac View Post
    every team (when losing by 8 or less) goes for the hail mary on the last play of the game because it puts their team in the best position to win. I guess that means we should hail mary every play of every down.
    schwartslogic
    Exactly! WTF? Everyteam uses this as there base pass rush on 3rd down... SO WE USE IT EVERYDOWN

Off-season Sucks

vCash
    We absolutely do have the players and depth to run a 3-4. A very strong argument can be made that the wide 9 a 3-4, or a hybread of it.
    "If a, would a, could a, should a, Lived on Maybe street, the street that never was"....Rad Alger

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ****ed in DET View Post
    Thank you Shartz for pointing out "people who think that don't know what they are talking about." You ****ing arrogant prick.

Coaches that finish 4-12 and talk **** about others lack of knowledge don't understand football either. You win or gtfo ***hole. How about that? Win mother ****er and don't worry about making excuses and being smarter than other people. We know u are stupid enough to ****-up a 10-6 playoff team, now show us u can turn it around or gtfo. You should be smart enough to understand that, moron.

So sick of this prick's attitude. Win...just win...WIN!!! No more excuses and we don't care how smart you are...WIN!!!!!!
    Agree. Good post.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast