Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Gainesville, FL
    Posts
    571
    vCash
    1500

    Clyde Drexler averaged 27, 8, 6, and 3 on 50% in 88-89...

    And he didn't even make 3rd Team All NBA that year. LeBron is averaging 27 / 8 / 7 / 1 / 55% this year and people are calling him the GOAT. Does this make any sense?

    The talent level and distribution of that talent is pathetic in 2013.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    4,996
    vCash
    1500
    And Dwyane Wade averaged 30, 5, 8 with 2 steals and a block to boot on 49% in 2008-2009 . What's your point?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    2,692
    vCash
    1500
    Yes, because 27/8/7/2 on 55% shooting is much better than 27/8/6/3 on 50% shooting.

    Especially when you take into account Clyde only managed to lead the Blazers to 39 wins and the 8th seed, whereas LeBron is leading his team currently on the 2nd best win streak of all-time and the 1st seed in his conference.

    Then you can compare their advanced stats:

    Code:
    Rk           Player  Season Age  G   MP  PER  TS% eFG% ORB% DRB% TRB% AST% STL% BLK% TOV% USG% ORtg DRtg  OWS DWS   WS WS/48
    1     Clyde Drexler 1988-89  26 78 3064 23.6 .555 .504  9.9 11.9 10.9 22.2  3.2  1.0 11.6 27.2  117  106  8.8 3.8 12.6  .197
    2      LeBron James 2012-13  28 70 2681 31.2 .632 .594  4.6 21.0 13.2 35.8  2.4  1.9 12.5 30.1  124  101 13.2 4.2 17.5  .313
    Which LeBron leads in all but 3 categories.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    4,996
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by FraziersKnicks View Post
    Yes, because 27/8/7/2 on 55% shooting is much better than 27/8/6/3 on 50% shooting.

    Especially when you take into account Clyde only managed to lead the Blazers to 39 wins and the 8th seed, whereas LeBron is leading his team currently on the 2nd best win streak of all-time and the 1st seed in his conference.

    Then you can compare their advanced stats:

    Code:
    Rk           Player  Season Age  G   MP  PER  TS% eFG% ORB% DRB% TRB% AST% STL% BLK% TOV% USG% ORtg DRtg  OWS DWS   WS WS/48
    1     Clyde Drexler 1988-89  26 78 3064 23.6 .555 .504  9.9 11.9 10.9 22.2  3.2  1.0 11.6 27.2  117  106  8.8 3.8 12.6  .197
    2      LeBron James 2012-13  28 70 2681 31.2 .632 .594  4.6 21.0 13.2 35.8  2.4  1.9 12.5 30.1  124  101 13.2 4.2 17.5  .313
    Which LeBron leads in all but 3 categories.
    ^^^

    Oh, but Jimmer doesn't believe in advanced stats because they make Kobe look bad.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    8,164
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by FraziersKnicks View Post
    Yes, because 27/8/7/2 on 55% shooting is much better than 27/8/6/3 on 50% shooting.

    Especially when you take into account Clyde only managed to lead the Blazers to 39 wins and the 8th seed, whereas LeBron is leading his team currently on the 2nd best win streak of all-time and the 1st seed in his conference.

    Then you can compare their advanced stats:

    Code:
    Rk           Player  Season Age  G   MP  PER  TS% eFG% ORB% DRB% TRB% AST% STL% BLK% TOV% USG% ORtg DRtg  OWS DWS   WS WS/48
    1     Clyde Drexler 1988-89  26 78 3064 23.6 .555 .504  9.9 11.9 10.9 22.2  3.2  1.0 11.6 27.2  117  106  8.8 3.8 12.6  .197
    2      LeBron James 2012-13  28 70 2681 31.2 .632 .594  4.6 21.0 13.2 35.8  2.4  1.9 12.5 30.1  124  101 13.2 4.2 17.5  .313
    Which LeBron leads in all but 3 categories.


    Can't really knock Clyde for his teams production. He was going up against teams like the Lakers, Dallas, Utah, all year long and playing with average players.

    Lebron plays teams like Orlando and Charlotte every other night and is playing on a allstar team.

    Big difference.


    BRIA MYLES.....SWAG!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    53,887
    vCash
    1503
    Quote Originally Posted by ATX View Post
    ^^^

    Oh, but Jimmer doesn't believe in advanced stats because they make Kobe look bad.
    Jimmer is a hater

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,431
    vCash
    1500
    Portland's record that year: 39-43 (8 seed)
    Miami's current record: 56-14

    Portland's longest winning streak: 4
    Miami's current winning streak: 27

    Maybe WINNING had a say in this?

    I also like how you rounded their numbers. Drexler had 2.7 and Lebron has 1.7 SPG (why'd you round down to 1.. im sure you understand basic arithmetic since you had no problem rounding up for Drexler). And what about Lebrons 40% 3pt shooting compared to Drexler's 26%?
    Last edited by JerseyPalahniuk; 03-26-2013 at 04:20 PM.
    I survived Stephon Marbury's inability
    Jason Kidd, Kenyon Martin, Richard Jefferson era
    I survived them all leaving, a 12-70 season and not getting the #1 pick
    Mikhail Prokhorov buys the Nets
    I survived Melodrama
    Deron Williams traded here
    I survived 248 games missed due to injury, 5 d-league call-ups, 14 different lineups in ONE season, Johan Petro
    I survived Dwightmare
    I survived Avery & PJC's rotations
    THE Offseason - Success TBD

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    24,251
    vCash
    2502
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmer55 View Post
    And he didn't even make 3rd Team All NBA that year. LeBron is averaging 27 / 8 / 7 / 1 / 55% this year and people are calling him the GOAT. Does this make any sense?

    The talent level and distribution of that talent is pathetic in 2013.
    You're only looking at numbers which you want to and paying no attention to the numbers which clearly prove the differences between someone like Drexler and what Lebron is doing this season. For one, there is a huge difference between 50% and 55%. That's the same difference between 40-45% and 45-50%. That five percent separates a very efficient shooter from an other worldly efficient shooter. (And actually, the difference is 6%, because you're rounding up Drexler and rounding down Lebron).

    Also, you're paying no attention to how Drexler is getting his points. To get the same number of points per game, he required three more FGA than Lebron, because he was a much poorer 3-point shooter and didn't get to the line as much as Lebron does. Clyde also averaged fewer rebounds, assists and blocks, but turned the ball over far more often. And all of that does not take into consideration their differences on defense. Drexler was a very good perimeter defender. Lebron is one of the best perimeter defenders in the game today and you could make a legitimate argument for him as DPOY in any given year.

    All those differences are things you would see if you actually paid attention to things like PER and WS/48, which provide a much broader, more accurate picture of a player's production and efficiency than a quick glance at basic stats. But you refuse to utilize this stats, because you don't understand them.

    But if you're not going to make an attempt to try and understand advanced stats, don't start up stupid threads like this. Because the simple answer to this question (which I answered in a roundabout way) is you could simply look at the advanced stats to see the difference. Since you refuse, you'll just refute the response by saying something idiotic like "advanced statz r dumb". Let's just skip the whole thing and from now just agree to disagree.


  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,151
    vCash
    1800
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmer55 View Post
    And he didn't even make 3rd Team All NBA that year. LeBron is averaging 27 / 8 / 7 / 1 / 55% this year and people are calling him the GOAT. Does this make any sense?

    The talent level and distribution of that talent is pathetic in 2013.
    I think it says more about kobe since he has never even averaged 50% or 8 rebounds. The year he won MVP he only averaged 28, 6.3, 5.4 on 46% shooting (how weak is that).

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    941
    vCash
    1500
    Drexler was ballin

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    \_(ツ)_/
    Posts
    64,457
    vCash
    500
    his team stunk

    had a great individual year, but team success has always trumped individual success

    and 27, 8, 6, and 3 on 50% =/= 27, 8, 7, 1, 55%

    lebron's year has been significantly more impressive if you have the ability to look outside of 4 numbers.
    I no longer care about anything here except for the Entertainment Forum, which sucks; the Music forum, which sucks; and the Magic forum, which does NOT suck.

    Love y'all!

    Except for all of y'all.

    #FreePablo
    #FreeManRam
    #FreePablo

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    24,251
    vCash
    2502
    Also, I notice you rounded up on Drexler's steals (2.7) and down on Lebron's (1.7). Are you doing this because you think it will help your case? It doesn't. It makes you come off as a buffoon who is deliberately altering numbers to try and make his unwinnable argument seem winnable.


  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,036
    vCash
    1500
    I have never heard anyone say Drexler was a good defender.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Gainesville, FL
    Posts
    571
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by FraziersKnicks View Post
    Yes, because 27/8/7/2 on 55% shooting is much better than 27/8/6/3 on 50% shooting.

    Especially when you take into account Clyde only managed to lead the Blazers to 39 wins and the 8th seed, whereas LeBron is leading his team currently on the 2nd best win streak of all-time and the 1st seed in his conference.

    Then you can compare their advanced stats:

    Code:
    Rk           Player  Season Age  G   MP  PER  TS% eFG% ORB% DRB% TRB% AST% STL% BLK% TOV% USG% ORtg DRtg  OWS DWS   WS WS/48
    1     Clyde Drexler 1988-89  26 78 3064 23.6 .555 .504  9.9 11.9 10.9 22.2  3.2  1.0 11.6 27.2  117  106  8.8 3.8 12.6  .197
    2      LeBron James 2012-13  28 70 2681 31.2 .632 .594  4.6 21.0 13.2 35.8  2.4  1.9 12.5 30.1  124  101 13.2 4.2 17.5  .313
    Which LeBron leads in all but 3 categories.
    Advanced stats...lol. Meat and potatoes are all I care about. I'm an actual athlete, not a nerd. Secondly, of course Lebron's team is waaaaaay better! Look at how stacked they are and the competition they face!

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Neither here, Nor there
    Posts
    5,871
    vCash
    1500
    Ya but lebron will surpass kobe when its all said and done

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •