Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by desertrat218 View Post
    Yet it's perfectly acceptable for the schools to make millions off these kids....there are no easy answers.
    I guess the college degree that they get isnt compensation?
    [/CENTER]

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cano24 View Post
    appretnly not, which is absurd. and then people us ethe even stupider arguement that everyone doesn't graduate, like thats the school not the players fault
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinstripe power View Post
    except they are rarely making money off the players, its the brand name assocaited with the school. ND, bama, USC, Miami, Oklahoma, etc are going to make tons of revenue no matter which players are playing. players are expendable, people will still poor money in regardles sof who's playing. a free education is more than fair compensation. Ones good enough to warrant more compensation like you seem to think will make it in the pro's.
    Except that is total horse****. Miami is a perfect example, they have one of the best "name brands" in college football. Check their revenue? They are in dire straits. They aren't making revenue because they aren't winning. If they had good enough players and coaches to win then they would indeed be making money hand over fist, but they're not.

The players are what the schools are profiting from, not their "name brand". That is the biggest load of BS I've ever heard on the subject. Just think: if the Colleges couldn't use all the player playing for them right now would they still make the same money? Probably not, the quality of their product would drastically drop, if not cease altogether.

Now if those same college players that apparently aren't the reason the schools are making money were able to go straight to the NFL would they still get drafted and paid? Absolutely.

One can exist without the other, and that one is the players, not the schools football program. What would Texas' profit be as an institution without Football? Jack diddly compared to what it is now.

Factually, no it is not. A Bachelor's degree makes you on average 1 million dollars more over your lifetime than not having one does.

The minimum salary for an NFL player for 1 year is over half that. Nearly every player that gets drafted into the NFL will earn more from playing in the NFL then the difference they would earn from having the degree vs not.

It is not fair compensation. It'd be like me offering you a job and telling you I'm paying you in something worth $1 million over the next 50 years when you know you can earn more than that in 1 year by doing the exact same job somewhere else.

Would you take my offer? probably not?

appretnly not, which is absurd. and then people us ethe even stupider arguement that everyone doesn't graduate, like thats the school not the players fault
    What's absurd is that you expect kids to accept that getting a degree is fair compensation for their services when if you open them up to the NFL shows it is not fair compensation.

Or put another way, what would happen if you let the free market dictate their compensation? Suppose all the Colleges were free to entice students to play football for them however they saw fit.

Do you seriously think the schools would only offer them scholarships? Or would they pay them to come to their school over another school? Heck, they already do that now.

The mere fact that schools are willing to cheat the system and pay them in more than a Scholarship shows that it isn't fair compensation.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmsterNat View Post
    How unsurprising. Dude, give up trying to argue with valade. He cut you into little pieces, had you for breakfast, and shat you out.
    Quote Originally Posted by mariner4life View Post
    Valade you have totally owned this thread. Well done
    My fanbase is growing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    Except that is total horse****. Miami is a perfect example, they have one of the best "name brands" in college football. Check their revenue? They are in dire straits. They aren't making revenue because they aren't winning. If they had good enough players and coaches to win then they would indeed be making money hand over fist, but they're not.

The players are what the schools are profiting from, not their "name brand". That is the biggest load of BS I've ever heard on the subject. Just think: if the Colleges couldn't use all the player playing for them right now would they still make the same money? Probably not, the quality of their product would drastically drop, if not cease altogether.

Now if those same college players that apparently aren't the reason the schools are making money were able to go straight to the NFL would they still get drafted and paid? Absolutely.

One can exist without the other, and that one is the players, not the schools football program. What would Texas' profit be as an institution without Football? Jack diddly compared to what it is now.

Factually, no it is not. A Bachelor's degree makes you on average 1 million dollars more over your lifetime than not having one does.

The minimum salary for an NFL player for 1 year is over half that. Nearly every player that gets drafted into the NFL will earn more from playing in the NFL then the difference they would earn from having the degree vs not.

It is not fair compensation. It'd be like me offering you a job and telling you I'm paying you in something worth $1 million over the next 50 years when you know you can earn more than that in 1 year by doing the exact same job somewhere else.

Would you take my offer? probably not?

What's absurd is that you expect kids to accept that getting a degree is fair compensation for their services when if you open them up to the NFL shows it is not fair compensation.

Or put another way, what would happen if you let the free market dictate their compensation? Suppose all the Colleges were free to entice students to play football for them however they saw fit.

Do you seriously think the schools would only offer them scholarships? Or would they pay them to come to their school over another school? Heck, they already do that now.

The mere fact that schools are willing to cheat the system and pay them in more than a Scholarship shows that it isn't fair compensation.
    the biggest load of BS is that the players, who are not pro players, should be paid in addition to a free education.

if they want the NFL money, got tot he NFL and get it then. thats not the colleges issue. they aren't being stopped form going to the NFL, and most college players do not go to the NFL, so why thats your comparison I have no idea. they dont pay them, becuase this isn't a free market. schools would go under becuase they can't compete with bigger schools paying players. thats pro football, not college. you get a free education because thats a fair balance all schools can offer. you don't like it as a palyer? then be good enough to make the big money in the NFL after school. the fact that schools cheat has nothing to do with fair compensation, its a way to lure the kid to thier school that some other school may or may not be able to match.

the college players are fairly compensated. they get what people like you and me had to work for in college for free. if i was offered a scholarship to play football to get my education, i would tkae it without thinking. these guys are not professional atheletes like you seem to think, so why should the be paid like it? if a free education isn't enough, don't go play there

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals

vCash

ok but now lets take the 80 players from all 120 or so FBS school and add up that average of 1 million in there life time and compare it to the 1 or 2 % that go on to the NFL...not everyone is going to go to the NFL and be super succesful and make millions of dollars so the back up plan of having a college degree seems like more than fair compensation to me
    [/CENTER]

vCash
    53 man roster in the NFL times 32 teams means there are 1696 NFL players

that equals 21 teams a year bacisally in college with 80 man rosters, and there are over 100 schools. so why should we be making rules to pay guys, when it clearly effects the minority of people who deserve it. if they are good enough, the money will be there in the pros. if you don't like it, take it up with the NFL since they ahve the rule in place on when you are eligible for the draft

vCash
    the biggest load of BS is that the players, who are not pro players, should be paid in addition to a free education.

if they want the NFL money, got tot he NFL and get it then. thats not the colleges issue. they aren't being stopped form going to the NFL, and most college players do not go to the NFL, so why thats your comparison I have no idea. they dont pay them, becuase this isn't a free market. schools would go under becuase they can't compete with bigger schools paying players. thats pro football, not college. you get a free education because thats a fair balance all schools can offer. you don't like it as a palyer? then be good enough to make the big money in the NFL after school. the fact that schools cheat has nothing to do with fair compensation, its a way to lure the kid to thier school that some other school may or may not be able to match.

the college players are fairly compensated. they get what people like you and me had to work for in college for free. if i was offered a scholarship to play football to get my education, i would tkae it without thinking. these guys are not professional atheletes like you seem to think, so why should the be paid like it? if a free education isn't enough, don't go play there
    ok but now lets take the 80 players from all 120 or so FBS school and add up that average of 1 million in there life time and compare it to the 1 or 2 % that go on to the NFL...not everyone is going to go to the NFL and be super succesful and make millions of dollars so the back up plan of having a college degree seems like more than fair compensation to me
    Guess who disagrees with you? The NCAA

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/more-co...08--ncaaf.html

53 man roster in the NFL times 32 teams means there are 1696 NFL players

that equals 21 teams a year bacisally in college with 80 man rosters, and there are over 100 schools. so why should we be making rules to pay guys, when it clearly effects the minority of people who deserve it. if they are good enough, the money will be there in the pros. if you don't like it, take it up with the NFL since they ahve the rule in place on when you are eligible for the draft
    As was said above, they are not professional athletes. Well, why not? The only reason they aren't professional athletes is because the NFL has engaged in collusion with the NCAA to keep kids fresh out of HS in the college ranks.

If the colleges were so "amateur" as you are claiming these kids are they wouldn't be moving conferences every 2 years to get the most money possible. It is about money. The players are their source of money. The players are making more money for the University by an exponential amount than they are getting compensated for.

The NCAA realizes this, that's why their going to start paying Student Athletes. Everyone else realizes it. The only reason you don't realize it is because you fail to understand that getting a supposed "good deal" isn't a good deal if you should be getting a better one.
    How unsurprising. Dude, give up trying to argue with valade. He cut you into little pieces, had you for breakfast, and shat you out.
    My fanbase is growing.

vCash
    Guess who disagrees with you? The NCAA

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/more-co...08--ncaaf.html

As was said above, they are not professional athletes. Well, why not? The only reason they aren't professional athletes is because the NFL has engaged in collusion with the NCAA to keep kids fresh out of HS in the college ranks.

If the colleges were so "amateur" as you are claiming these kids are they wouldn't be moving conferences every 2 years to get the most money possible. It is about money. The players are their source of money. The players are making more money for the University by an exponential amount than they are getting compensated for.

The NCAA realizes this, that's why their going to start paying Student Athletes. Everyone else realizes it. The only reason you don't realize it is because you fail to understand that getting a supposed "good deal" isn't a good deal if you should be getting a better one.
    why not? because thats not what collegre football is. no colleg eplayer is getting screwed. the ones good enought o get paid in college make that money in the pro's. the average player is more than fairly comprisined and the NCAA clearly agrees with me because it is still illegal to pay players

vCash
    why not? because thats not what collegre football is. no colleg eplayer is getting screwed. the ones good enought o get paid in college make that money in the pro's. the average player is more than fairly comprisined and the NCAA clearly agrees with me because it is still illegal to pay players
    Did you fail to read the link I posted? The NCAA and their President do not agree with you. They believe players should get stipends to cover expenses not covered in scholarships.

They are currently working on the rules changes and they will be implemented when ready.

Read the article.
    My fanbase is growing.

vCash
    Did you fail to read the link I posted? The NCAA and their President do not agree with you. They believe players should get stipends to cover expenses not covered in scholarships.

They are currently working on the rules changes and they will be implemented when ready.

Read the article.
    but do players get stipends? no, thats still illeagl. what they say is irrelavent. until they change the rule, the NCAA is on my side. and "stipends" are not the kind of moeny you are talking about anyway

vCash
    but do players get stipends? no, thats still illeagl. what they say is irrelavent. until they change the rule, the NCAA is on my side. and "stipends" are not the kind of moeny you are talking about anyway
    You can be very dense sometimes, by your own logic the NCAA doesn't believe a Playoff is the best way to determine a champion because even though it is absolutely coming in 2 years, it hasn't happened yet?

If you want to play the "Wait to make it official until I'm proven wrong" game, fine, I can wait until it's official to say "I told you so."
    My fanbase is growing.

vCash
    You can be very dense sometimes, by your own logic the NCAA doesn't believe a Playoff is the best way to determine a champion because even though it is absolutely coming in 2 years, it hasn't happened yet?

If you want to play the "Wait to make it official until I'm proven wrong" game, fine, I can wait until it's official to say "I told you so."
    the rules for the playoff ar eput in place. paying players is speculation at this pont. they are not the same situation at all. right now its just talk there is no plan to pay palyers

vCash
    the rules for the playoff ar eput in place. paying players is speculation at this pont. they are not the same situation at all. right now its just talk there is no plan to pay palyers
    From the article:

"The question is no longer whether to cut athletes a check, it's how best to do that."

"In October 2011, the NCAA's Division I Board of Directors approved a rule change that would give colleges the option of providing athletes with a $2,000 stipend for expenses not covered by scholarships."

''This is going to happen,'' Kelly said. ''It's just when is it going to happen? I think like minds need to get together and figure it out.''

College Players getting paid stipends is as certain as the playoffs.
    My fanbase is growing.

vCash
    From the article:

"The question is no longer whether to cut athletes a check, it's how best to do that."

"In October 2011, the NCAA's Division I Board of Directors approved a rule change that would give colleges the option of providing athletes with a $2,000 stipend for expenses not covered by scholarships."

''This is going to happen,'' Kelly said. ''It's just when is it going to happen? I think like minds need to get together and figure it out.''

College Players getting paid stipends is as certain as the playoffs.
    thats not the kind of payment you were talking about. thats an extension of the scholarship basically. a smalls tipend like that doesn't seem unreasonable, paying them based on how much the school makes is. that small amount is essentially like per diem

vCash
    Players are compensated. They get a "free college education". Should they get additional compensation? No. As pointed out something like a stipend is totally acceptable. Stipends and free educations are already offered for people wanting to attend college by the ROTC, various states for certain degree programs, etc. These free eductaions usually have a catch though. ROTC programs require their graduates to serve x amount of years in the military and free medical programs usually require their graduates to serve x amount of time in a medically impoverished area.
    One of the benefits I think some of you are overlooking, that in my opinion is very beneficial to players, is exposure. Players playing for colleges, especially major colleges, are getting exposure to pro scouts. This is exposure that they probably would never receive. I, personally, think that is of great value. If the players are fortunate enough to play for a major college, they will be getting national exposure. What price do you put on that? Even if the players are not on a national stage, they still have a better a chance of being discovered. Now at least, there is tape on these players for potential pro teams to study and evaluate.
    If the argument is that schools shouldn't be allowed to make millions off the atheletes, then I agree to a certain extent. Perhaps, the schools should be required to take some of that money and say provide scholarships for underprivileged kids.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast