Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bama Sox View Post
    lol, again...more assumptions. Why the hating?
    How come when a program gets caught with recruiting violations the standard response is "well, everybodies doing it" yet here we have a case where "it's all assumptions".

It is an assumption in the same way that it's an assumption that OJ killed his wife. It happened, it's just a matter of the system designed to find the proof is hindering more than helping.

Believe what you want, but a dad doesn't go around asking for $400,000 for his son to play at a school unless he's sure that that sort of practice is commonplace.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmsterNat View Post
    How unsurprising. Dude, give up trying to argue with valade. He cut you into little pieces, had you for breakfast, and shat you out.
    Quote Originally Posted by mariner4life View Post
    Valade you have totally owned this thread. Well done
    My fanbase is growing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by desertrat218 View Post
    Yet it's perfectly acceptable for the schools to make millions off these kids....there are no easy answers.
    and in return they are afford a luxury most people do not get, a free education to set them up for the rest of their lives
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinstripe power View Post
    and in return they are afford a luxury most people do not get, a free education to set them up for the rest of their lives
    Poor argument. Less than half of the players at BCS schools graduate. Besides at a growing number of your BCS schools they are put into bull**** classes made up for athletes. Classes that are pretty much there just to keep them eligible until they are done playing football.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by steelcityroller View Post
    Poor argument. Less than half of the players at BCS schools graduate. Besides at a growing number of your BCS schools they are put into bull**** classes made up for athletes. Classes that are pretty much there just to keep them eligible until they are done playing football.
    Not to mention when you actually do the math in terms of how much the college degree costs (say $50,000 for 4 years [even though many don't go that long]) that's only around $200,000, far less than the millions in revenue they generate.

Heck, adding the increased income difference for the rest of their lives from getting a degree (as in average HS degree salary vs average College degree salary) they still aren't being fairly compensated for their services.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmsterNat View Post
    How unsurprising. Dude, give up trying to argue with valade. He cut you into little pieces, had you for breakfast, and shat you out.
    Quote Originally Posted by mariner4life View Post
    Valade you have totally owned this thread. Well done
    My fanbase is growing.

vCash
    This is basically my argument why Stanford, ND and to a lesser degree Northwestern can compete in today's CFB landscape. With pretty much everybody having the Internet it's pretty easy for families to look up statistics and be like "oh Oklahoma graduates less than half their student athletes. Cross them off the list". It might not make a monumental difference but I hear kids talking more and more about getting their degree when reading about recruits.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bama Sox View Post
    lol, again...more assumptions. Why the hating?
    I am not hating, Auburn made millions off that season, I got no problem making sure people who actually earned it got something. I don't really care that they did it. I just can't stand NCAA, biggest criminal syndicate ever.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    Not to mention when you actually do the math in terms of how much the college degree costs (say $50,000 for 4 years [even though many don't go that long]) that's only around $200,000, far less than the millions in revenue they generate.

Heck, adding the increased income difference for the rest of their lives from getting a degree (as in average HS degree salary vs average College degree salary) they still aren't being fairly compensated for their services.
    Well that and what about the kids that had academics good enough to get into college without playing sports? I suppose they are getting "paid" with a scholarship that they would have already got without sports....

You have programs like Oklahoma and Florida State that have graduation rates in the low 30s. To say that these kids are getting paid with a college education is a joke.

Something else is that schools don't honor these scholarships. Its real bad at programs like Alabama where they pretty much give 30 scholarships every year and then before the season make cuts. So they will go out and recruit and give 30 scholarships knowing that before the season starts they are gonna have to make cuts and revoke scholarships of so many players.

What is terrible is when they do that and then these kids no longer playing sports can't pass the classes anymore. When they had no problem while they were on the team.... Interesting huh

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry34 View Post
    This is basically my argument why Stanford, ND and to a lesser degree Northwestern can compete in today's CFB landscape. With pretty much everybody having the Internet it's pretty easy for families to look up statistics and be like "oh Oklahoma graduates less than half their student athletes. Cross them off the list". It might not make a monumental difference but I hear kids talking more and more about getting their degree when reading about recruits.
    Absolutely. James Franklin was on the radio talking about that after the season. That they are getting a different type of player than the other schools. They are getting kids that are solid football players that realize there is a very likely chance that they won't make it to the NFL. Kids that are still solid football players at the college level but want to make sure that they get a solid education. And they can do that at Vanderbilt while still being in the SEC and getting national exposure.

Your schools like Oklahoma, Florida state etc are getting kids that are pretty much looking at their college careers as NFL or bust. They are recruiting all these kids thinking that they are gonna be in the NFL when in reality maybe 5-10% of them actually get to the pros and only about 1 out of 3 even graduate with a degree.

Quote Originally Posted by shen View Post
    I am not hating, Auburn made millions off that season, I got no problem making sure people who actually earned it got something. I don't really care that they did it. I just can't stand NCAA, biggest criminal syndicate ever.
    That is kinda the way I see it as well. I still don't agree with it but at least can understand and see why some people think its okay.

The thing I always ask myself in situations like this that how many schools do you think went in thinking our main concern is for Cam Newton to get a college education? None. They wanted him to help them win football games and ultimately make the school money. Most of these schools don't give a damn if these kids get an education.
    Last edited by steelcityroller; 12-28-2012 at 04:58 PM.

vCash
    not a poor arguement at all. in exchang efor their serives at a football, they recieve free college. how they utilize that free college is their choice. if they are talking bull **** classes, thats their own damn fault for signing up for them. the players shouldn't be paid because they decided to waste their payment for playing

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post

except they are rarely making money off the players, its the brand name assocaited with the school. ND, bama, USC, Miami, Oklahoma, etc are going to make tons of revenue no matter which players are playing. players are expendable, people will still poor money in regardles sof who's playing. a free education is more than fair compensation. Ones good enough to warrant more compensation like you seem to think will make it in the pro's.

vCash
    you guys all do realzie the graduations rate is on the players right? the arguement well they should be paid because the school doesn't graduate is absolutely stupid. that menas a) the player is wasting their payment of a free education, or b) the player didn't belong at the school in the first place

this is not pro or semi pro football, it's college football. you are supposed to be a student first. if you are not, thats your own damn fault.

vCash
    you guys all do realzie the graduations rate is on the players right? the arguement well they should be paid because the school doesn't graduate is absolutely stupid. that menas a) the player is wasting their payment of a free education, or b) the player didn't belong at the school in the first place

this is not pro or semi pro football, it's college football. you are supposed to be a student first. if you are not, thats your own damn fault.
    Yeah but if the majority of these programs are set up like a pro system with football being the player's #1 job and the department making sure they stay eligible no matter what, is it really just the players fault? I think it just ends up being the players problem to deal with when they don't have eligibility left and nobody cares about them.

For the record I'm not for paying players, but I do think schools should have more responsibility.

vCash

so its okay for....

They should be able to get endorsement deals

vCash
    Yeah but if the majority of these programs are set up like a pro system with football being the player's #1 job and the department making sure they stay eligible no matter what, is it really just the players fault? I think it just ends up being the players problem to deal with when they don't have eligibility left and nobody cares about them.

For the record I'm not for paying players, but I do think schools should have more responsibility.
    good for the programs, its not the NCAAs job to adjust their rule sbecause these progamrs want to do somehting they are not supposed to. it's not semi-pro football, free education is plenty of comepnsation for the players. for the departments keeping them eligible, that goes back to my other point. either that player isn;t putting the wrok in or doesn't belong at that school.

vCash
    good for the programs, its not the NCAAs job to adjust their rule sbecause these progamrs want to do somehting they are not supposed to. it's not semi-pro football, free education is plenty of comepnsation for the players. for the departments keeping them eligible, that goes back to my other point. either that player isn;t putting the wrok in or doesn't belong at that school.
    Well I think it should be the NCAA's job to make sure schools are making kids pass real classes and not just making up credits to keep them eligible.

vCash
    Well I think it should be the NCAA's job to make sure schools are making kids pass real classes and not just making up credits to keep them eligible.
    schools will always find a way around that, and paying the players will only make it worse

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast