Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 12 of 67 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Jeter's player option is 8 million not 14.5 million..

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...eterde01.shtml

So with over 90 million to spend I think the team SHOULD be able to fill some of the holes..

"We need a DH, a 2B, a C, 3 starting pitchers and probably a bullpen arm or two."
    Seems like a lot. But, lets be honest about the Yankees. They will obviously fill a few of the holes with vet rentals and a maybe a few younger players. No, we can't expect premium at all positions in a budget conscious year. However, they seem to have a tendency to use the minors to fill in bullpen spots. The DH can easily be a rotating slot with all our old players. And they were not very concerned with the catcher position this year, not sure if we will be next year either. Maybe Romine and Adams can help, but who knows.. Way I see it the real issues..

2b, 3 Starting pitchers with nearly 90 million to spend.

Thoughts - As much as I may not like it. Cano will probably be resigned and take a good amount of that 90 million, say 20 million. It will still leave 70 million for 3 pitchers which is very much doable and keeps us under 189 in 2014 and lined up for big spending in 2015. Some decent potentials in 2015 as well Headley, Ramirez, Sandoval, Butler, Vmart, Verlander, Kershaw, Felix Hernandez (yeah I know its very unlikely on those three) and Shields..

And I'm not even trying to figure in any kind of trades that might wind up going down..

Bottom line is despite what the naysayers think, we might be competitive in 2013, 2014 and BALLIN in 2015.. It simply isn't time to jump off a bridge here or give up on the Yankees just yet.
    Last edited by Thump; 12-24-2012 at 04:07 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Thump View Post
    Jeter's player option is 8 million not 14.5 million..

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...eterde01.shtml

So with over 90 million to spend I think the team SHOULD be able to fill some of the holes..

Seems like a lot. But, lets be honest about the Yankees. They will obviously fill a few of the holes with vet rentals and a maybe a few younger players. No, we can't expect premium at all positions in a budget conscious year. However, they seem to have a tendency to use the minors to fill in bullpen spots. The DH can easily be a rotating slot with all our old players. And they were not very concerned with the catcher position this year, not sure if we will be next year either. Maybe Romine and Adams can help, but who knows.. Way I see it the real issues..

2b, 3 Starting pitchers with nearly 90 million to spend.

Thoughts - As much as I may not like it. Cano will probably be resigned and take a good amount of that 90 million, say 20 million. It will still leave 70 million for 3 pitchers which is very much doable and keeps us under 189 in 2014 and lined up for big spending in 2015. Some decent potentials in 2015 as well Headley, Ramirez, Sandoval, Butler, Vmart, Verlander, Kershaw, Felix Hernandez (yeah I know its very unlikely on those three) and Shields..

And I'm not even trying to figure in any kind of trades that might wind up going down..

Bottom line is despite what the naysayers think, we might be competitive in 2013, 2014 and BALLIN in 2015.. It simply isn't time to jump off a bridge here or give up on the Yankees just yet.
    I know what his player option is. The AAV counts against the payroll, not the actual salary for that season. AAV = total value of contract divided by number of 'guaranteed' years. According to the CBA, player options are included in the guaranteed years portion where as team options are not. He signed a 51M with a player option worth 8M. 51 + 8 = 59. 59/4 = 14.75.
    Yankees - Jets - Rockets

vCash
    I think Jeter's option is already more than the 8M we keep saying it is.

"2014 option may increase to $17M based on awards earned in 2011-13: $4M for AL MVP; $2M for 2nd-6th in MVP vote; $1.5M for Silver Slugger; $0.5M each for Gold Glove, ALCS MVP, WS MVP"

He won Silver Slugger last year so I think its already at $9.5M I guess. Kinda got lucky in the MVP voting because he came in 7th.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nyyfan4life View Post
    As it stands right now the following are our 2014 Salary Obligations:

Bear in mind these are the AAV

- Alex Rodriguez 27.5M
    - Mark Teixeira 22.5M
    - CC Sabathia 24.4M
    - Derek Jeter 14.75M (assuming he picks up his player option)
    - Ichiro Suzuki 6.5M
    - Brett Gardner (last year of arbitration) assume his 2014 salary would be around 4-5M.
    - David Robertson (last year of arbitration) see above
    - Ivan Nova (first year of arbitration)
    - Eduardo Nunez / Francisco Cervelli (1st year of arbitration if they get ML service time this year)

Total comes out to about: 103M in total salary

We would have about 86M to work with. We still need at least one outfielder, probably 2 considering I don't think Ichiro will be all that his 2nd year. We need a DH, a 2B, a C, 3 starting pitchers and probably a bullpen arm or two.

Yeah, some of those slots are HOPEFULLY, filled adequately by prospects but there is no way all of those spots will go to prospects.

We can all salivate at the contracts coming of the books but we need to stay under the 189M mark until the end of the 2014 season, which is when all the payroll/luxury tax/stuff is calculated. It's not like things will be SO much better next off-season, considering we will actually have a strict budget to follow.
    The actual player salary budget is also quite a bit lower than that 189M. I think its been stated that its around $170M they can actually have in player salaries. The other amount is benefits and stuff like that that has to be added in to stay under the 189M.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bronxbombers88 View Post
    And this team has won how many world series when leading the league in home runs? What this team needs is players who can hit above .250. And you can preach home runs all you want but how many did they hit off of pitchers like Verlander, Price, etc? You know, the pitchers you actually face in the post season.
    But you have to get to the playoffs first. And that was his point. The Yanks beat a lot of bad teams with homeruns off of midde relievers. Those homeruns were the back breakers. Now they may get a single and tie a game or hit a warning track fly and then precede to lose that game now.

You have to score in the AL to get to the playoffs thru the AL East and HRs helped. If the pitching and defense is not there in 2013 the weaker offense will not help to win games that they won this past year and the situational hitting that everybody wants in the playoffs won't matter because they will be playing golf in OCT instead.....

I still think if Cano and Teix can be the main source of power they will be fine.....
    Nick

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pootamis91 View Post
    you nailed it with all that money starting in 2014 i expect the Yanks to have a big time starting rotation seeing as how all the other big market teams except Boston and Texas will not be able to spend big
    Big time starting rotation??? The whole goal of getting under 189(the real number is around 170) is to not have to be restricted when it comes to financial commitments. The Yankees want a rotation that is as cheap as possible. The only guy that makes money is CC. Why do ppl think they traded for Pineda?? Why do ppl think they took their time with the Bs? Why have they gone so pitcher heavy in the draft and international free agency? Don't expect a big time rotation in 2014 because it's not going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Thump View Post
    Why not? I mean just cause it was the 2013 policy doesn't mean it will be the 2014 policy.

Bottom line is they lose these contracts come off the books..

AJ Burnett - 8.5 Million
    Granderson - 15 Million
    Kurdoa - 15 Million
    Pettite - 12 Million
    Cano - 15 Million
    Jeter - 18 Million
    Youklis - 12million
    Rivera - 10 Million

that is over 100 Million dollars in savings going into the 2014 Free Agent Market.. and even if they gave Jeter 15 Million they still save 90 million, a lot of which can and will be used. And don't forget they gave Ichiro a 2 year deal.

So I see no reason why their stance of making some long term commitments wouldn't change going into next years off season. They will have a ton of holes to fill, payroll coming off and some better options in the market than this off season, especially in pitching.
    Because it's more than just a one yr thing. They get more breaks if they stay under for more than just one yr.

Their rotation next year will more than likely be some combination of :CC, Nova, Pineda, Phelps, maybe a trade, Manny(doubt it though), a vet(1 yr deal), Hughes(if he doesn't leave), etc.

True they have holes to fill but you have to take into account arbitration raises and potentially paying Cano. The money decreases quicker than we realize when everything else gets taken into account.
    Friend: I think the NBA payed off the Heat in the first yr because of the politics. They threw game four and they payed Lebron because they were angry with what he did. So he had pay one way or another.

F:There is no one in the draft coming out and trading players isn't going to happen. The Lakers are in trouble.

F: Vogel doesn't run that team. Shaw does. If he leaves they are going to suck and Vogel will get fired.

-Heat fan

vCash
    Yankees GM Brian Cashman blames the team's lack of pursuit of Raul Ibanez on the club's priority of acquiring a right-handed hitting outfielder. Beyond finding an outfielder, Cashman says that the team does not have an unlimited budget and must work within its means.
    Feinsand points to right-handed outfielder Matt Diaz as a potential fit for the Yankees. Diaz has regained his health, should be an inexpensive sign and would bring a career batting line against lefties of .324/.364/.498.
    The Yankees will open the 2013 season with a payroll over $200MM but remain in a situation similar to last year where Cashman had to move expensive contracts before adding anyone new.

Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/1...zCCgFrZKZkX.99
    Leo's Thought Of The Day

BREAKING NEWS: Sources tell me it's official. We stink.

vCash
    You know what could change our offseason in a big way?

Signing Lance Berkman to DH on a one year deal.

Itchy
    Jeter
    Cano
    Tex
    Berkman
    Youkadoosh
    Grandy
    Romine
    Gardner
    Leo's Thought Of The Day

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leoharris View Post
    You know what could change our offseason in a big way?

Signing Lance Berkman to DH on a one year deal.

Itchy
    Jeter
    Cano
    Tex
    Berkman
    Youkadoosh
    Grandy
    Romine
    Gardner
    I actually like this idea, Leo. Berkman had a pretty resurgent 2011 and even though his 2012 season sucked and basically was a wash due to injury, I feel like he could have a nice 20/80 year for us as the DH if he were to stay healthy. Plus, with Cash's recent influx of old guys on one year deals, he fits right in. Also, what's the risk? We have tons of guys to fill in if he were to go down with an injury. I say one year, 3 mil with maybe a mil or two included by way of incentives?

Anecdote: too lazy to do the math, but the average age of that starting lineup would be in the 33-34 year old range haha

vCash
    Word.....give him a call Cash!
    Leo's Thought Of The Day

vCash
    I'd also buy low on Valverde if I were a team in need. Nice minor league deal that can have a huge upside.
    Leo's Thought Of The Day

vCash
    It's nice that he's a switch hitter, so all the pessimists can't just say he's another lefty bat. The Yankees have had some good switch hitters in recent years, we should continue this.

vCash
    or we can not sign a guy since one player wont be the difference between winning it all and just hanging in there and just play the kids to see what we have with them and see if they fit our future plans or if we are in need to upgrade in other areas

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leoharris View Post
    I'd also buy low on Valverde if I were a team in need. Nice minor league deal that can have a huge upside.
    You mean Jose Valverde? I doubt he'd sign a minor league deal after making 9 mil last year. Not only that, but his stats are actually pretty good. The guy technically is good closer. But like in Soriano's case, I'm not sure too many teams will be calling. They'll both find jobs somewhere.

I'm still dumbfounded by Soriano's opt out, on his part

vCash
    soriano will get paid

Page 12 of 67 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast