Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 39 12311 ... LastLast
    vCash

*OFFICIAL* ALL Things Alex Smith Thread (yes, thread #289723412 on Alex Smith)

I am a big Alex Smith fan. I think he is a good quarterback and I think he is a great person. However, it is clear Kapernick is the quarterback of now and the future. I really think Alex Smith has too much value and deserves to be a starting quarterback to let him sit on the bench.

With that being said, I think he is a perfect fit for the Jets. They want a conservative quarterback who doesn't make many mistakes. Smith has also shown he can handle pressure and diversity. I think Smith would get the playing time and attention he deserves, while the niners should receive some good compensation. I think he could possibly bring a first round pick.

I just do not think keeping Smith on the roster as a backup is fair... Smith deserves to be playing, he is in the prime of his career. Trading him frees up cap space to sign Goldson. A first round pick will allow us to get some more young talent to put around Kapernick and help him succeed.

This just seems to make too much sense for both teams to see it now happen.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Raupie View Post
    I am a big Alex Smith fan. I think he is a good quarterback and I think he is a great person. However, it is clear Kapernick is the quarterback of now and the future. I really think Alex Smith has too much value and deserves to be a starting quarterback to let him sit on the bench.

With that being said, I think he is a perfect fit for the Jets. They want a conservative quarterback who doesn't make many mistakes. Smith has also shown he can handle pressure and diversity. I think Smith would get the playing time and attention he deserves, while the niners should receive some good compensation. I think he could possibly bring a first round pick.

I just do not think keeping Smith on the roster as a backup is fair... Smith deserves to be playing, he is in the prime of his career. Trading him frees up cap space to sign Goldson. A first round pick will allow us to get some more young talent to put around Kapernick and help him succeed.

I ran this idea a few weeks ago, but you lost me at the bolded.

vCash
    I wish Al Davis was alive. He'd give us a first for him.

Slap Hands!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Raupie View Post

If a GM gave a 1st round pick for Alex, he would be fired the next day. Smith is a good QB, but more like a 4th or 5th as many have said. I was holding out hope for a 2nd if the Niners included some additional draft picks...but a 1st...especially a mid first is nuts.

vCash
    Well, I think some (ninerhomer) under value Alex a lot, I don't think we're going to trade him, and even though he may have the value I doubt any team that in need of a QB is going to trade away their 1st rounder for him... maybe a 2nd + TBD.

Anyways, it would be absolutely ridiculously stupid to trade him away before the end of the season. If RGIII has proved anything, a option QB can and will get hurt on those option plays. Therefore we need a good solid backup that can come in and still win games... there for the #3 rated QB in the league isn't going any place but our bench until the end of the season.

And for all that is holly... NOT TO THE JETS!! UGH!
    "All we care about are wins, stats are for losers" - Justin Smith
    "We're the San Francisco 49ers. We can do whatever we want" - Jim Harbaugh

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bigcheeze View Post
    Well, I think some (ninerhomer) under value Alex a lot, I don't think we're going to trade him, and even though he may have the value I doubt any team that in need of a QB is going to trade away their 1st rounder for him... maybe a 2nd + TBD.

Anyways, it would be absolutely ridiculously stupid to trade him away before the end of the season. If RGIII has proved anything, a option QB can and will get hurt on those option plays. Therefore we need a good solid backup that can come in and still win games... there for the #3 rated QB in the league isn't going any place but our bench until the end of the season.

And for all that is holly... NOT TO THE JETS!! UGH!
    I think his value "To SF" last season was immesurable. What he did when them in the offseason saved the season in my opinion. Not having to waste the entire first week of TC just teaching terminology was huge in my opinion. His value to other teams as a player will not be very high unless they are using the same system Smith is in now OR if Norv Turner is the OC/HC. If the Jets for some reason hang on to Rex Ryan and Turner decides that he done embarassing himself as a HC (a position he is clearly not cut out for), then the Jets could be a great landing spot for Smith. He WILL be effective. He WILL win games. With the right coach...he will most likely have them in perrennial playoff contention. He's good enough to do that.

That being said...many young QBs coming out the last few seasons have proven that you can have that in a 1st to even 3d round rookie QB.

vCash
    My thoughts on getting a first are based around previous recent trades for quarterbacks...

Carson Palmer - 1st round and a 2nd round and was coming off a poor season and time off watching football from the couch

Kevin Kolb - Cromartie and a 2nd round pick

Those are the only two recent ones I can think of. Smith is in the prime of his career, ranks 4th in the NFL this season in quarterback rating, and has a very reasonable salary for a starting quarterback.

Jets are desperate to succeed now. They are not a young team and their coach is on the hot seat. They need a proven quarterback who can help them win now. Buffalo also need a quarterback and they have a strong run game, Smith would be a decent fit there with his conservative style. How bout the Ravens? Rumors are their quarterback is done this season and they rely on a run game and a strong defense.

As niners fans, I think we tend to undervalue Smith a little. He has one of the best records of any starting quarterback in the last two years, one of the best passer ratings, the best touchdown to interception ratio. There are a few teams out there on the hot seat who are ready to win now... so given Smith's experience, recent success, and reasonable contract... I don't see why a first round pick would be out of the question.... especially when comparing to recent trades for quarterbacks

vCash
    Alex smith is a good QB in this leauge for sure. few teams out there need QBs too. so i could see the niners getting a good return for him. not no 1st rounder though lmao!
    For not honoring a sig bet I now own YEDB90

vCash
    Lots of teams are going to be in the mix for a New QB, with the Jets seeking 2 QB's possibly, there is potential for A Smith to give us a pretty decent return if a lot of teams are in the sweepstakes and someone overpays to land him over other interested teams, hopefully he'll have inflated value considering a decent number of teams might want a new QB. Hopefully in the offseason we can make it happen. A 1st rounder is possible (desperation) but very unlikely.
    Last edited by hd1906; 12-21-2012 at 02:27 PM.

GIANTSNINERSWARRIORS

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NinerHomer49 View Post
    I think his value "To SF" last season was immesurable. What he did when them in the offseason saved the season in my opinion. Not having to waste the entire first week of TC just teaching terminology was huge in my opinion. His value to other teams as a player will not be very high unless they are using the same system Smith is in now OR if Norv Turner is the OC/HC. If the Jets for some reason hang on to Rex Ryan and Turner decides that he done embarassing himself as a HC (a position he is clearly not cut out for), then the Jets could be a great landing spot for Smith. He WILL be effective. He WILL win games. With the right coach...he will most likely have them in perrennial playoff contention. He's good enough to do that.

That being said...many young QBs coming out the last few seasons have proven that you can have that in a 1st to even 3d round rookie QB.
    I still believe he holds much more value to other teams then you give him credit for. Yes, he needs a good coach... as really any QB does. And yes he needs talent around him, probably much more so than someone like Montana or Farve but I don't think more than someone like Peyton or Rogers.

But I do agree... I don't think anyone is going to have their brains removed and pull a stupid stunt like the Raiders or the Cards did on Palmer and Kolb. I also don't think any team feels they NEED to make that trade, as they are pretty sure Alex will hit the FA market because SF won't be willing to take the cap hit.
    "All we care about are wins, stats are for losers" - Justin Smith
    "We're the San Francisco 49ers. We can do whatever we want" - Jim Harbaugh

vCash
    I can see us getting a 3rd at best and ill be happy with that.
    Sacramento Kings
    Oakland A's
    San Francisco 49's
    San Jose Sharks

vCash
    I could see Alex "potentially" being traded for more than a 4th/5th only b/c there are so many teams that need a QB right now. Why would a team wait for the 9ers to cut him and then fight to sign him with all the other teams when they could give something higher than a 4th/5th and get him?

I'm not saying the 9ers are going to trade him and not saying that if they do they will get anything higher than a 4th or 5th... I'm just saying, it's possible.

vCash
    I don't think the Niners care what they get for him, but they want to make sure they dictate which team he plays for.

Norcal transplant on central Oregon Coast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle916 View Post
    I don't think the Niners care what they get for him, but they want to make sure they dictate which team he plays for.
    Exactly my thoughts. Wouldn't it be worth a little money to ensure he doesn't go to a rival? Send him to the AFC. We would essentially be ****ing him one last time, but I'd hate for it to bite us in the ***. Plus we do get something in return. Could we get a higher pick if we dealt him for a 2014 pick? Teams seem to value picks a year away a bit less then the immediate draft.

vCash
    No way in hell we get a first round pick for Alex. I think the best we could do would be a 3rd rounder. But probably more likely to get a 4th and a 7th or a 5th and 6th rounder.
    49ers, Athletics, Warriors = Life!

49ers = 4-2
    Warriors = 0-0 Making it rain!
    A's =
    WINNING!

Page 1 of 39 12311 ... LastLast