Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Adrian Peterson vs other running backs

Just curious, how much better is adrian peterson then the other running backs in the nfl?

Ive always considered RB a very low priority. I think the line makes or breaks the back.

LT, QB, CB, those are high priority positions... IMO.

RB, you can grab a guy in the 5-6th round, and make a superstar pretty easy, based on the line you have, IMO...

That being said, i think adrian peterson is diffrent. I would spend a 1st on him, high 1st. I think he is special.

Obviously he is the best back in the nfl..

my question is, do you think its close? how big is the gap?

i think adrian is a top 5 back maybe in the history of the nfl. top 10... idk.. very very special. easily best back of the last 10 years. top 5 in the last 25....

im a cowboys fan so not being a homer.. he is just one of the very few players i have total respect for, that i really root for outside my cowboys..

so, on topic, is it close?

adrian peterson vs. arian foster? or alfred morris? Chris johnson? mccoy? bush? charles? gore? anyone..

how close? how much of a gap? would arian plus a 1st round pick equal peterson?

just curious

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rawz View Post
    Just curious, how much better is adrian peterson then the other running backs in the nfl?

Ive always considered RB a very low priority. I think the line makes or breaks the back.

LT, QB, CB, those are high priority positions... IMO.

RB, you can grab a guy in the 5-6th round, and make a superstar pretty easy, based on the line you have, IMO...

That being said, i think adrian peterson is diffrent. I would spend a 1st on him, high 1st. I think he is special.

Obviously he is the best back in the nfl..

my question is, do you think its close? how big is the gap?

i think adrian is a top 5 back maybe in the history of the nfl. top 10... idk.. very very special. easily best back of the last 10 years. top 5 in the last 25....

im a cowboys fan so not being a homer.. he is just one of the very few players i have total respect for, that i really root for outside my cowboys..

so, on topic, is it close?

adrian peterson vs. arian foster? or alfred morris? Chris johnson? mccoy? bush? charles? gore? anyone..

how close? how much of a gap? would arian plus a 1st round pick equal peterson?

just curious
    The gap is [_________________] big.

vCash
    The gap, IMO, is bigger from 1 (Peterson) to 2 (Charles/Lynch/Foster/whoever) at the running back position that it is from 1 to 2 at any other position in football. Be it WR (Megatron vs. Marshall), QB (whoever you think is the best between Brady, Manning or Rodgers), OLD (Smith vs. Miller), CB (Sherman vs. Tillman vs. Revis), and so on. Maybe the gap between Watt and the second best DE (Wake?) is close to as big.

I think it's a pretty significant gap this year.
    I no longer care about anything here except for the Entertainment Forum, which sucks; the Music forum, which sucks; and the Magic forum, which does NOT suck.

Love y'all!

Except for all of y'all.

#FreePablo
    #FreeManRam
    #FreePablo

vCash
    AP <<<<< Alex Green. Goes without saying (not a homer) :-D

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ManRamForPrez24 View Post
    The gap, IMO, is bigger from 1 (Peterson) to 2 (Charles/Lynch/Foster/whoever) at the running back position that it is from 1 to 2 at any other position in football. Be it WR (Megatron vs. Marshall), QB (whoever you think is the best between Brady, Manning or Rodgers), OLD (Smith vs. Miller), CB (Sherman vs. Tillman vs. Revis), and so on. Maybe the gap between Watt and the second best DE (Wake?) is close to as big.

I think it's a pretty significant gap this year.
    I'd probably agree although the gap between Joe Thomas and number 2 OT is pretty big as well

vCash
    I'd take McCoy over him next year if I had a coach with a brain.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NormSizedMidget View Post
    I'd take McCoy over him next year if I had a coach with a brain.
    Just no.

vCash
    I wouldnt even put McCoy in the top 5.

Peterson, MJD, Lynch, Charles, Foster > McCoy

vCash
    I might take McCoy over Charles. I think I'd take Muscle Hamster over both of them though. Both are just too damn injury prone.

vCash
    There's this fallacy that you can just "plug in" HBs from lower rounds and have them do as good as guys in higher rounds that turn out to be good. While some do, it is no less/more possible with HBs than any other position in Football.

Here are the Top HBs this year by yardage and what round they were drafted in:

Adrian Peterson (1st)
    Marshawn Lynch (1st)
    Jamal Charles (3rd)
    Alfred Morris (6th)
    Arian Foster (Und.)
    Doug Martin (1st)
    Stevan Ridley (3rd)
    Chris Johnson (1st)
    CJ Spiller (1st)
    Frank Gore (3rd)
    Ray Rice (2nd)
    Ben Javarus Green-Ellis (Und.)
    Matt Forte (2nd)
    Steven Jackson (1st)
    Shawn Greene (3rd)
    Reggie Bush (1st)
    Trent Richardson (1st)
    Ahmad Bradshaw (7th)
    LeSean McCoy (2nd)
    Maurice Jones-Drew (2nd)

Statistically 8/20 HBs this year were 1st rounders (40%). 16/20 were drafted in the first 3 rounds (80%)

Bottom line, if you want to have a great Rushing attack you better be drafting a HB in the first 3 rounds...
    Last edited by valade16; 12-28-2012 at 04:21 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmsterNat View Post
    How unsurprising. Dude, give up trying to argue with valade. He cut you into little pieces, had you for breakfast, and shat you out.
    Quote Originally Posted by mariner4life View Post
    Valade you have totally owned this thread. Well done
    My fanbase is growing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by flgatorsandjags View Post
    I wouldnt even put McCoy in the top 5.

Peterson, MJD, Lynch, Charles, Foster > McCoy
    I show a more complete list in my post just above this however look at the 6 HBs we are debating as the "Elite". 5/6 were drafted in the 2nd round or higher.

And of the 4 "up and coming" HBs we've seen this year (Ridley, Morris, Martin, Richardson) 3/4 were drafted in the first 3 rounds, 2 as 1st round picks.

The idea you can just "plug and play" any old HB and have him produce is wrong...
    How unsurprising. Dude, give up trying to argue with valade. He cut you into little pieces, had you for breakfast, and shat you out.
    My fanbase is growing.

vCash
    MJD was drafted in the 2nd

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaFtw View Post
    Just no.
    I'll bet you anything you want if Andy Reid is fired McCoy has more yards from scrimmage and total TD's than AP next year. You on?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by flgatorsandjags View Post
    MJD was drafted in the 2nd
    Thanks! I updated the post.
    My fanbase is growing.

vCash
    he's having a historic season no doubt, dude is killing it and i really like the player, but to say he's head and shoulders above some of his contemporaries is a bloated statement. a back should be measured on his career, and AP is on his way to canton, but so can some of the other top shelf backs so lets slow down just a bit. best running back this year, hell yeah. but football is funny sometimes, look what happened to CJ2K ... still productive, but far from what everyone said at the time.

and if you you really think RB is a 'low priority' and completely a product of a good offensive line (OP mentioned something like this) then i think there is something wrong with the way your brain works. couldnt the reverse be true as well, that an elite RB will make the offensive line 'look' better then what they are? i dont buy that statement at all, because you have got to have one guy who can run the ball between the tackles, and one who can hit the edge, rare to have those skills in one guy, thus many teams employ a 'stable' of backs. uber importaht position on the field IMO, from picking up the blitz to chipping and running routes. c'mon now.

"If I had to pick a center [for an all-time best team], I would take Olajuwon. That leaves out Shaq, Patrick Ewing. It leaves out Wilt Chamberlain. It leaves out a lot of people. And the reason I would take Olajuwon is very simple: he is so versatile. It's not just his scoring, not just his rebounding or not just his blocked shots. He was in the top seven in steals. He always made great decisions on the court. For all facets of the game, I have to give it to him." -Michael Jordan

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast