Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Thread: DC Mike Pettine

vCash

DC Mike Pettine

I just saw a report that he's not signing an extension with the Jets, which means he's pretty much on his way out the door this season. The Jets defense has been pretty damn good with him there...do you think we should ditch Fewell and give Pettine a shot if he wants it?

Va...heart between Giants Stadium and MSG
    vCash
    I cant go there with you right now. Fewell gonna make me forget about a replacement Sunday.

NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS 18-1 Signature of a Champion!
    ELI MANNING.... 2X SB MVP....2X SB CHAMPION!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NYGTom View Post
    I just saw a report that he's not signing an extension with the Jets, which means he's pretty much on his way out the door this season. The Jets defense has been pretty damn good with him there...do you think we should ditch Fewell and give Pettine a shot if he wants it?
    Depends on how everything plays out but you gotta realize that's really sexy Rexys D..

vCash
    True but he has an impressive resume even before the Jets

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NYGTom View Post
    True but he has an impressive resume even before the Jets
    Not really.. He was linebacker coach under Rex in Baltimore and followed him to the Jets to be the D Coordinator..

vCash
    Yeah and Rex still calls the plays defensively I believe.

Va...heart between Giants Stadium and MSG
    vCash
    If Rex want a ring....cant beat em join em. Maybe he can come be the DC for his big brother?

NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS 18-1 Signature of a Champion!
    ELI MANNING.... 2X SB MVP....2X SB CHAMPION!

vCash
    1st post. What if we ran a 3-4 formation. Not as our base defense obviously but put canty, joseph, and tuck as the down linemen. JPP and Osi as rush olb, and boley and kiwi in the middle. Just a thought outside of the box that could be an interesting look for us in certain situations.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RJDavis607 View Post
    1st post. What if we ran a 3-4 formation. Not as our base defense obviously but put canty, joseph, and tuck as the down linemen. JPP and Osi as rush olb, and boley and kiwi in the middle. Just a thought outside of the box that could be an interesting look for us in certain situations.
    Putting JPP at rush olb would confuse him a lot. Kiwi was never the same after they moved him to linebacker

vCash
    Pettine is more of a 3-4 guy isn't he?

I think our guys (Canty, Kiwi, JPP, Tuck) are versatile and smart enough to MAYBE handle some hybrid looks, but no, 3-4 is not gonna work for this team. This debate comes up a couple times a year, but its just not fitting for these players. We definitley don't have the talent at LB for it.....not for a good 3-4 anyway.

Maybe a guy like Capers could come in and make it work, but I wouldn't trust Pettine to do it.

Even if we get blown out the next 2 weeks I think Coughlin and this FO are gonna be committed to Fewell. I want someone more aggressive.

vCash
    Bring Back Bill Sheridan and his 427 points allowed in 2009, second worse in Giants History

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GGGGG-Men View Post
    Pettine is more of a 3-4 guy isn't he?

I think our guys (Canty, Kiwi, JPP, Tuck) are versatile and smart enough to MAYBE handle some hybrid looks, but no, 3-4 is not gonna work for this team. This debate comes up a couple times a year, but its just not fitting for these players. We definitley don't have the talent at LB for it.....not for a good 3-4 anyway.

Maybe a guy like Capers could come in and make it work, but I wouldn't trust Pettine to do it.

Even if we get blown out the next 2 weeks I think Coughlin and this FO are gonna be committed to Fewell. I want someone more aggressive.
    You really think if Spags is out there we don't bring him back? I would be really pissed if we don't but who knows what's gonna happen with that mess in NO..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NY007 View Post
    You really think if Spags is out there we don't bring him back? I would be really pissed if we don't but who knows what's gonna happen with that mess in NO..
    Maybe. Not sure what Coughlin's opinion of Fewell is but he usually sticks with his team. There's a chance Fewell gets a HC job though. He was runner-up to Rivera in Carolina.

I think Fewell's contract is up this offseason anyway right?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GGGGG-Men View Post
    Maybe. Not sure what Coughlin's opinion of Fewell is but he usually sticks with his team. There's a chance Fewell gets a HC job though. He was runner-up to Rivera in Carolina.

I think Fewell's contract is up this offseason anyway right?
    After the way the Giants performed this year defensively , I doubt very much that Fewell is even considered for a HC job by any team.Added to that the Maras and Coughlin are very loyal and Fewell did win a Super Bowl, so bottom line Fewell will be back as the DC in 2013.