Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 27 of 69 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast
    vCash
    No doubt! big props to Rudolph. Maybe now we will look at using him more in our game plan. Looked like a young Jason Witten.
    Flash!...... Aaha!!

vCash
    Little bit early for this now but I wanted to look at a few positions going in to training camp and what to expect. Obviously the roster is going to look quite different by then after the draft and FA, but its likely that we're going to carry over the vast majority of our roster that's under contract. Specifically I want to look at guys who are on the bubble.

Another thing to consider too, I know we brought in one or two guys on futures contracts but this is much less than we normally do (or is normal for most NFL teams) what I get from this is expect us to go pretty heavy on undrafted FAs, although I suppose there's still plenty of time for off-season signings.

QB
    There's going to be a show down between McBethel-Highlander and Webb, plus we're likely going to have a 3rd guy in the mix. A lot of people are down on Webb after his performance in the wild-card game but it will also be very interesting to see if Bethel-Thompson is going to amount to anything more than a 3rd stringer. I wouldn't be surprised to see them try to move Webb away from QB by trying him at kick returns, out wide or in gimmick plays. Ideally we need a better #2 QB but there is a big shortage among those guys right now.

RB
    I suppose there could be competition between Banyard and Asiata but I fully expect the edge to go to Asiata. Even though he had very little play time this year he looked very good last year in the pre-season (that's why he made the team) and if he can put in another solid performance in the off-season he likely keeps his job. We are going to need a Toby replacement soon though, he won't be here in 2014.

WR
    Could probably see the most turnover here of any position on the team, which is not entirely a bad thing (unless we get rid of Harvin). Jerome Simpson could return but that's a big unknown, Devin Aromashodu probably won't be back. As far as guys on the roster, Michael Jenkins is probably going to be a salary cap casualty since he's due to be paid $2.4 million. Jarius Wright has a future here but its really doubtful that anyone else on the roster can step up and start for this team. Stephen Burton is a consummate underachiever and has done very little with the opportunities given to him. Chris Summers is a tall (6'5") WR who was on the practice squad last year after failing to catch on with the Bears in camp. Then we have LaMark Brown, a hybrid TE/WR. Both of these guys are intriguing but its questionable that either of them have the skills to make the team let alone be an upgrade on the mediocre out-going talent. Last but not least, we'll get to see how Greg Childs is coming along, and what the team does with him if he's not ready to play yet.

TE
    A few things here, we all know who the undisputed #1 is. Its worth wondering weather John Carlson will be back, but with the size of the cap hit the team would take to cut him ($4 million), he's likely wearing purple for one more year. Rhett Ellison has settled into his blocking/H-back role nicely (although he's still no Jimmy K) and he's actually arguably the team's #2 TE after the poor year Carlson had. Other than that we have Chase Ford who went to camp with Philly last year. He's not much of a blocker though so its hard to say that he'd be in competition with Ellison, he really has more in common with Rudolph and Carlson as far as being a big athletic receiving TE.

OL
    More than a few questions to answer here to. Phil Loadholt will probably be re-signed, and I don't expect any of our starters to change, but there's always the possibility. Charlie Johnson is another player due a relatively large salary compared to his level of play and while we don't appear to have anyone ready to step into his shoes on the roster, the team could turn the page on him. After that our next biggest question mark is weather Joe Berger comes back or not. If he doesn't we'll need to figure out who our backup Center is, as well as who will be the backup guard. Brandon Fusco played C in college, but if they think that we can just slide him over if something happens to Sullivan, then you have to wonder who'll be manning the RG spot. The rest of the guys left on the team are for depth. It will be interesting to see if DeMarcus Love can hold off Tyler Holmes and Kevin Murphy for a roster spot. Love was a well thought of prospect in 2011 his disastrous performance at the Senior Bowl which caused him to drop to the 6th round. Despite two years on the roster he has not played at all, mostly due to injury. Also expect ERFA Troy Kropog to return and be part of the mix here. We could also look at re-signing Geoff Schwartz, but he's probably going to move on to greener pastures and try to find somewhere that he can start.

DL
    Not going to be a lot of changes among the starters, although it is possible that Kevin Williams may be replaced and Fred Evans could take over for LeTroy Guion. Evans statistically matched Guion in performance this year with less snaps, but the argument could be made that Evans was better rested coming in fresh off the bench. Neither of these guys are idyllic at Nose Tackle so we could expect a move to be made here. Everson Griffen is really improving and fast becoming a team leader, it will really be interesting to see if he starts cutting in to Brian Robison's snaps or weather they start moving him around (LB or DT) for some plays. Depth is adequate here too, Christian Ballard and Chase Baker. Ballard hasn't really done a lot since entering the league, he's a bit undersized for DT but he is quick. Baker is a PS guy who is not likely to take Ballard's job. At DE we could see George Johnson and D'Aundre Reed competing for the same roster spot but I think its likely we keep both. Reed has always looked good in the pre-season but has rarely played and interestingly Johnson was activated over him a few times this year.

LB
    More big changes to come here with 2/3 of the starters hitting free agency. Both Erin Henderson and Jasper Brinkley were hazardous in pass-coverage but played very well against the run. Marvin Mitchell, who did very well for himself as a backup and special teamer is also a FA and arguably he could probably do just as good a job as Henderson did this year (which may or may not be a good thing) at a somewhat lower price. The rest of our LB corps is made up of essentially special teams guys. Tyrone McKenzie is OK but don't expect him to be in contention to start at MLB. Larry Dean has also tackled very well on returns however that is about the extent of his skills at the position. Audie Cole was deactivated for a few games, clearly behind Dean and McKenzie on special teams, however if he improves he probably has a higher ceiling actually playing the position vs. those two so he could be taking someone's job this pre-season.

CB
    The big issue here will be if we make a move to get a long-term replacement for Antoine Winfield. Arguably he took a very small step back this year but is still the glue that holds the defense together. While he has his critics, Chris Cook is undoubtedly our #1 CB heading in to 2013 which is something else that will likely not change. A.J. Jefferson is a restricted free agent and while he didn't exactly set the world on fire last year he is a good fit for the team, expect him to be in competition with Josh Robinson for the starting job opposite Cook. Getting into the reserves, we have Brandon Burton, Bobby Felder, Nicholas Taylor and Greg McCoy. Taylor is essentially totally untried as a guy who played basketball in college, he was reportedly very fast but is coming back from a torn ACL suffered last year in camp. Expect him to be cut if he's not well enough for camp. Felder was another guy who had a stand-out training camp and pre-season but wasn't good enough to crack the final 53. Burton was a 5th round pick in 2011 who saw very little field time. McCoy was drafted in the 7th round last year by the Bears but didn't make final cuts and was also later cut from the Cardinals PS. Burton should have the advantage here since he had a roster spot last year, however I don't think its unrealistic to expect Felder to be able to push him. Lastly we can't forget about Marcus Sherels. He thoroughly embarrassed himself against the Packers this year after Winfield got hurt, but he is a very good return man. As bad as he is at CB, I think it will be hard to cut him if we can't find someone who plays at least as well as he does returning the ball.

S
    Harrison Smith owns the FS position. Mistral Raymond won the SS job from Jamarca Sanford going into the regular season last year, however after an ankle injury, Sanford substituted for him very well, and Raymond played poorly afterwords. Ideally we should have someone better than Raymond (or at least someone who can play better than Raymond did in the latter half of last year) starting for us. That may not be Sanford, who's a free agent and may draw attention elsewhere since he's a very good special teams player. Expect ERFA Andrew Sendejo to return as a special teams contributor. Robert Blanton is another guy who could due to face some competition heading into 2013 since all and all he was pretty marginal in his rookie year.

Special teams
    The only guy even worth mentioning (because he also happens to be the only guy who's not well entrenched as a starter) is punter T.J. Conley who is likely only here as a "camp leg" as Kluwe recovers from off-season knee surgery.

To sum things up, I think we may end up being a little bit more active than most people think we'll be in free agency because while we do have some decent depth on the roster, a lot of these players are not and should not be starters. There's lots of things we can do in the draft, but it can only go so far when you're talking about 4 or 5 different positions to fill.

Vikings Roster thread
    http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...d.php?t=718220

WE TRUST V4LB!!! HE IS THE GREATEST GUY IN OUR FOURM.
    WITHOUT HIM OUR FOURM WOULDNT BE EXCITING.
    HE GETS ALL THE WOMEN!!!!
    HE IS NEVER WRONG!!!
    WE TRIED TO VOTE FOR HIM FOR PRESIDENT BUT HE IS SO GREAT THAT HE WOULDNT RUN FOR OFFICE

vCash
    Good stuff Cheese! I forgot about that Lamark Brown dude. I also wouldn't mind us resigning Schwartz and plugging him in at one of the Guard spots.

I love what I see from AJ Jefferson so far. Sure he's had a few bad ones but he's still very young and I expect him to be pretty damn good next year.

Adopt-A-Viking: Harrison Smith
    Tackles: 23, INTs: 2, Sacks: 0

vCash
    Michael Jenkins - WR - Vikings
    ESPN Twin Cities confirms Michael Jenkins "almost surely won't collect" his $2.425 million roster bonus due in March.
    Jenkins played on 69.2 percent of the snaps last season out of simple desperation. The Vikings are sure to overhaul their receiving corps this offseason after Molasses Mike and Jerome Simpson crippled their offense. Christian Ponder needs a receiver other than Percy Harvin that can actually get open against one-on-one coverage.
    rotoworld

Vikings Roster thread

HE IS NEVER WRONG!!!
    WE TRIED TO VOTE FOR HIM FOR PRESIDENT BUT HE IS SO GREAT THAT HE WOULDNT RUN FOR OFFICE

vCash
    I like Mike, he stepped up big at times this season and actually could catch. But no way he deserves that much money, but I wouldn't be opposed to keeping him at vet minimum and having him stay for mentorship still.
    Bridgewater Draft and Highlights Video
    You thought Cassel was winning my starting job? Lol

vCash
    Joe Webb - QB - Vikings
    Joe Webb's 2013 salary jumped from $575,000 to $630,000 based on rookie-deal incentives.
    Webb started the fourth game of his career in the Wild Card round of the playoffs versus the Packers this past season, and as we all remember, it was a complete failure. Webb's entering the final year of his rookie deal, and he may be shopped on the trade market this offseason. He could be an intriguing read-option quarterback, but he doesn't bring anything to the table as a pocket passer.
    Percy Harvin - WR - Vikings
    Percy Harvin triggered an escalator in his rookie contract, raising his 2013 salary from $1.55 million to $2.9 million.
    Before landing on injured reserve after nine games, Harvin amassed 62 catches for 677 yards and three touchdowns as one of the most electrifying players in the league. Harvin's contract status will surely dominate the local papers and radio airwaves in Minnesota this offseason. He's in line for a hefty contract extension as he enters the final year of his deal.
    Everson Griffen - DL - Vikings
    Vikings DE Everson Griffen's base salary will be up from $575,000 to $630,000 in 2013 after he hit escalators in his rookie contract.
    Minnesota tried converting Griffen into an outside linebacker last summer, but they smartly moved him back to defensive end. He responded by notching a career-high eight sacks while working in as the third pass rusher behind Jared Allen and Brian Robison. All three of Allen, Griffen, and Robison are entering the final years of their respective deals.
    Toby Gerhart - RB - Vikings
    Toby Gerhart's 2013 salary jumped from $575,000 to $630,000 based on rookie-deal incentives.
    Gerhart set career-lows all across the board in 2012 with Adrian Peterson putting up other-worldly numbers. Gerhart rushed just 50 times for 169 yards (3.4 YPC) and one touchdown. The 2010 second-rounder could possibly be on the trade block this offseason if the Vikings can find an upgrade.
    rotoworld

Vikings Roster thread

HE IS NEVER WRONG!!!

vCash
    Antoine Winfield - DB - Vikings
    Vikings CB Antoine Winfield is in line to earn a $7.25 million base salary for 2013.
    Winfield's salary would have "de-escalated" to $3 million for 2013 if he didn't participate in at least 80 percent of the defensive snaps in 2012. Winfield, 36 in June, played on a tick over 94 percent of the defensive snaps. Coach Leslie Frazier stated after the season that he hopes to have Winfield back for the final year of his deal. Winfield is still one of the premier slot corners in the NFL.
    Jared Allen - DL - Vikings
    ESPN 1500 Twin Cities expects the Vikings to approach RE Jared Allen about restructuring his contract.
    Coming off a hit-or-miss season, Allen is due a whopping $14.3 million in 2013, and will count more than $17 million against the cap. It's not an outrageous sum of money for a player with Allen's pedigree, but he's recovering from the first surgery (shoulder) of his career, and will turn 31 in April. Entering the final season of the six-year, $73.260 million deal he signed in 2008, Allen should be open to restructuring if it's in the form of an extension.
    rotoworld

Vikings Roster thread

HE IS NEVER WRONG!!!

vCash
    http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/2...rformers012913

Great article...highlights
    A. Winfield -Allowed 67 completions in 97 targets (69.1%) for 660 yards and a 75.1 rating
    H. Smith -Allowed 16 completions in 37 targets (43.2%) for 167 yards and a 50.2 rating.
    C. Cook -Allowed 35 completions in 58 targets (60.3%) for 406 yards, four touchdowns and a 104.5 rating
    J. Sanford -Allowed 14 completions in 23 targets (60.9%) for 199 yards, three touchdowns and a 128.4 rating.
    M. Raymond -Allowed seven completions in 12 targets (58.3%) for 107 yards, two touchdowns and a 127.4 rating.
    Jefferson -Allowed 36 completions in 54 targets (66.7%) for 495 yards, four touchdowns -- a fifth was wiped by a penalty elsewhere -- and a 120.5 rating.
    J. Robinson -Allowed 53 completions in 74 targets (71.6%) for 489 yards, six touchdowns and a 105.1 rating.
    Sherels -Allowed 13 completions in 15 targets (86.7%) for 205 yards and a 118.8 rating.

So H. Smith is a stud, and J. Sanford caused 4 fumbles but was bad in coverage. J Robinson whom I've noted some people are high on played pretty bad to, although he defended 9 passes, I don't have to much faith in him. But he shouldn't be relyed on.

Cook isn't the shutdown CB I thought he was 2 years ago. I think he's a great #2 but isn't the shutdown CB we really need.

Sherels should not make this roster next year...86% completion means your a doormat.

Now to the LB's
    Brinkley-missed 21 tackles...I was high on him but maybe he needs an upgrade more then I thought.
    E. Henderson -called him undisciplined and lost in coverage at times

I didn't realize A. Cole is 6'5. No wonder he had 2 picks in that game. I want to give him a shot to play next year.

vCash
    I am guessing there is a mutual interest between Allen and us to keep him in MN. If that is the case a few more years and guaranteed money for him would be a win, win situation. If we are able to get his cap hit down closer to 10 or 11 million where it was a season or two ago we would have that many more free agent opportunities.

vCash
    I don't want to extend Allen, I'd rather see Griffin take that job.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ApolloInfinity View Post
    I don't want to extend Allen, I'd rather see Griffin take that job.
    Dumb...I'd restructure and extend Allen for 3 more years and extend Griffen as well....Robison would be the odd man out for me not Allen, he'd just play out the last year of his contract here make some plays and get a nice deal somewhere else after

vCash
    repost
    Last edited by nasthemasta; 01-31-2013 at 01:17 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ApolloInfinity View Post
    http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/2...rformers012913

Great article...highlights
    A. Winfield -Allowed 67 completions in 97 targets (69.1%) for 660 yards and a 75.1 rating
    H. Smith -Allowed 16 completions in 37 targets (43.2%) for 167 yards and a 50.2 rating.
    C. Cook -Allowed 35 completions in 58 targets (60.3%) for 406 yards, four touchdowns and a 104.5 rating
    J. Sanford -Allowed 14 completions in 23 targets (60.9%) for 199 yards, three touchdowns and a 128.4 rating.
    M. Raymond -Allowed seven completions in 12 targets (58.3%) for 107 yards, two touchdowns and a 127.4 rating.
    Jefferson -Allowed 36 completions in 54 targets (66.7%) for 495 yards, four touchdowns -- a fifth was wiped by a penalty elsewhere -- and a 120.5 rating.
    J. Robinson -Allowed 53 completions in 74 targets (71.6%) for 489 yards, six touchdowns and a 105.1 rating.
    Sherels -Allowed 13 completions in 15 targets (86.7%) for 205 yards and a 118.8 rating.

So H. Smith is a stud, and J. Sanford caused 4 fumbles but was bad in coverage. J Robinson whom I've noted some people are high on played pretty bad to, although he defended 9 passes, I don't have to much faith in him. But he shouldn't be relyed on.

Cook isn't the shutdown CB I thought he was 2 years ago. I think he's a great #2 but isn't the shutdown CB we really need.

Sherels should not make this roster next year...86% completion means your a doormat.

Now to the LB's
    Brinkley-missed 21 tackles...I was high on him but maybe he needs an upgrade more then I thought.
    E. Henderson -called him undisciplined and lost in coverage at times

I didn't realize A. Cole is 6'5. No wonder he had 2 picks in that game. I want to give him a shot to play next year.
    Yes, he sucks at cb, but the only reason he played was others were injured. He is a fine returner and im sure doesnt cost much. He has a place on this team.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TearsOfPurple View Post
    I like Mike, he stepped up big at times this season and actually could catch. But no way he deserves that much money, but I wouldn't be opposed to keeping him at vet minimum and having him stay for mentorship still.
    Well not that he's that great, but its really guys like Jenkins that get teams championships, he's by far no super star but he's a pretty solid contributor who's familiar with the system that he's in and busts his tail to do what he can, these are the regular joe type guys who really drive a team forward. You need your superstars but you also need your guys like Jenkins to keep the train going. Sure they're not spectacular but I'll go as far as to say despite how flawed he is in some aspects (speed) at playing WR, we won games this year because Michael Jenkins converted 3rd downs for us.

Vikings Roster thread

HE IS NEVER WRONG!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by iliketurtles24 View Post
    Yes, he sucks at cb, but the only reason he played was others were injured. He is a fine returner and im sure doesnt cost much. He has a place on this team.
    That's right where I am too, ultimately the team needs to figure out how they can do whatever they can to keep Sherels off the field playing CB. Its not like he's Devin Hester or anything but he's a clearly above average return man, and if anyone remembers 2010 (you know when we had Berrian "trying" to return punts and ended up going with Greg Camarillo as our return guy just because he could catch) you know how bad it can be when you're weak in this part of the game, and what that poor field position can do to your drives.

If the team can find somebody who can run back kicks and punts just as well and play CB better, by all means Sherels is gone, but we shouldn't be cutting him just because he's not a good CB because ideally he's not on the team to play CB, he's on the team to return kicks.

Ideally they need to figure a way that they can get another guy like Burton activated for depth ahead of Sherels, who was obviously only active because he was our return man.

Vikings Roster thread

HE IS NEVER WRONG!!!

Page 27 of 69 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast