Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UFA thread

vCash

UFA thread

After the draft, the draft isnt over. UFA's are one of my favorite thing about the draft. Here is who we have so far. My information come from Daily Norseman.

http://www.dailynorseman.com/2013/4/...ed-free-agents

Nicholas Edwards, WR, Eastern Washington...6'3 forty inch vert, 1250 yards, 19 TDs last year

Darius Eubanks, FS, Georgia Southern (can't find anything on this guy other than he has 4 career INTs

Erik Highsmith, WR, North Carolina 6'3, last year; 587 yards, 5 TDs

Zach Line, FB, SMU, over 1000 yards rushing and 10 touchdowns last three seasons (not combined, but each season!)...Draft sites absolutely loved this guy.

Nathan Williams, DE/OLB, Ohio State 2 sacks last year

updates: QB James Vandenberg from Iowa has signed.
    Last edited by PurpleJesus; 04-28-2013 at 05:15 AM.

vCash
    Highsmith and Line to me are the standouts of the guys brought in so far. By no means am I saying Line is Mike Alstott, but he is that type of FB, who can be counted on to run the ball on 3rd and goaline situations.

Some guys I wish we brought in, are former Gophers Marquies Gray, and Michael Carter, as well as Terrelle Sinkfield. Gray is just an outstanding kid, and I am routing for him, he went to the 49ers. I don't know if Michael Carter went anywhere yet, but he was absolutely outstanding for the Gophers last year, but doesnt get national recognition playing for the Gophers. Terrelle Sinkfield is the kid who reportedly ran the 4.14 forty...Spielman said that time was completely inaccurate, yet, that is what he was timed at, and that is what most people at that pro day claimed he ran. Sinkfield has signed with Miami.

vCash
    Former Gopher Troy Stoudemire has signed with the Bengals. Stoudemire holds the NCAA record for kickoff return yards...which is much more attributed to the Gophers allowing teams to score on them at a ridiculous rate throughout Troys career, rather than Troy's return ability, which is adequate, but not great.

vCash
    Wish we would have gotten Jake Knott, AJ Klein's more productive (although both were great) LBer partner, he signed with Eagles, he is coming off injury

Teddy Bridgewater | Andrew Wiggins | Byron Buxton
    THE FUTURE IS NOW

vCash
    Former Iowa QB James Vanenberg has signed with the Vikings.

vCash
    Vikings now have 16 signed UFA's. I will update this page after I get some sleep.

vCash
    this is according to http://vikingsterritory.com/

few names I notice

Colin Anderson, TE, Furman
    Brandan Bishop, FS, North Carolina State
    Nicolas Edwards, WR, Eastern Washington
    Darius Eubanks, FS, Georgia Southern
    Erik Highsmith, WR, North Carolina
    Zach Line, RB/FB, SMU
    Marquis Jackson, DE, Portland State
    Robbie Rouse, RB, Fresno State http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxdeqyAp8dM
    Rayon Simmons, RB, Winona State
    Rodney Smith, WR, Florida State he stood out to me on a lot of E.J. Manuel tape, and Ponder knows him too
    Collins Ukwu, DE, Kentucky
    James Vandenberg, QB, Iowa
    Camden Wentz, C, North Carolina State
    Jamaal White, SS, Northwestern State
    Jerodia Williams, RB, Furman
    Nathan Williams, LB, Ohio State

Vikings Roster thread
    http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...d.php?t=718220

WE TRUST V4LB!!! HE IS THE GREATEST GUY IN OUR FOURM.
    WITHOUT HIM OUR FOURM WOULDNT BE EXCITING.
    HE GETS ALL THE WOMEN!!!!
    HE IS NEVER WRONG!!!
    WE TRIED TO VOTE FOR HIM FOR PRESIDENT BUT HE IS SO GREAT THAT HE WOULDNT RUN FOR OFFICE

vCash
    Damn the Bears signed marquess Wilson!!!! Lame!! Gonna be a fun preseason and bills vs vikes woods Darick Rogers kiko Alonso and EJ Manuel vs Floyd Patterson and Rhodes wooooo
    Minnesota Vikings

vCash
    you can add duron carter to that list chris carters son was signed by the vikes

vCash
    Zach Line - RB - Vikings
    Apr 27 - 9:49 PM

Vikings signed SMU H-back Zach Line.

Line (6-foot 1/2, 232) earned 2012 C-USA Offensive Player of the Year honors as a senior and was a versatile workhorse in June Jones' spread offense throughout his career, rushing 778 times for 4,185 yards (5.38 YPC) and 47 touchdowns. He caught 75 passes. Line runs 4.77 with a 9-foot-3 broad jump, so he lacks explosive measurables. A hybrid fullback/tailback, Line may follow a similar career path to Brian Leonard.

Source: Aaron Wilson on Twitter
    http://www.rotoworld.com/playernews/...ayer-news?rw=1

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tripleplayer543 View Post
    you can add duron carter to that list chris carters son was signed by the vikes
    That would be so amazing if he actually did well and was able to snag one of those last WR positions. Would be cool to see him wearing his dad's old 80 and use it for motivation to work hard and improve his game.

vCash
    Rodney Smith, WR

Overview

An All-Dade County player coming out of Archbishop Carroll high school in Miami, Smith was a two-way player who also played safety. He chose Florida State among offers from more than 30 FBS programs.

He played in seven games as a freshman, primarily on special teams, before finishing fourth on the Seminoles with 31 receptions for 448 yards and three touchdowns in 2010.

Smith started 12 of 13 games as a junior, catching at least one pass in every game and finishing with 36 receptions for 561 yards and four touchdowns.

While overshadowed by Rashad Greene in 2012, Smith quietly played in all 14 games, racking up a career-high 38 receptions for 524 yards and three touchdowns.

His talent stood out at the East-West Shrine Game with his height, length and natural athleticism standing out. Although he still has room to refine his technique at the position and play more up to his size, Smith has the measureables NFL teams covet.

Analysis

Strengths: Good combination of size and athleticism for the position. Does a good job of location and adjusting his lanky but fluid frame to make a play on the ball. Long arms and catching radius. Long-strider and eats up yards in a hurry. Very good effort as a blocker. Catch in 30 straight games with natural body control to adjust to off-target throws.

Weaknesses: Struggles to play up to his size and needs to do a better job finishing downfield. Very lean frame and needs to add bulk and looks like a twig. Too often doesn't complete catches or allows the defensive back to out-muscle him. Inconsistent focus at times catching the ball and needs to improve his routes, working back to the ball.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...9/rodney-smith
    Nick Edwards

Bio: Former walk-on who started his first three seasons at Eastern Washington before struggling with a knee injury throughout his senior campaign. Totals last year included 37 receptions/436 yards/4 TDs. All-America and all-Conference recipient as a junior after posting career numbers of 95/1250/19. Sophomore totals included 57/614/7.

Positive: Nice-sized receiver who displayed NFL skills prior to his injury last season. Quickly releases off the line into pass routes, comes back to the ball out of breaks, and extends his hands, offering the quarterback a target. Looks the pass into his hands, easily adjusts to catch errant throws in stride, and effectively tracks deep passes. Consistent hand catcher who displays focus and consistently makes the reception away from his frame. Fights to come away with the ball in a crowd. Gives effort blocking.

Negative: Rounds off routes and shows minimal sharpness into breaks. Lacks the deep speed and not a vertical threat. Timed poorly in the 40 prior to his knee injury.

Analysis: After walking onto the team in 2008, Edwards had a productive college career and turned himself into a legitimate NFL prospect. His knee injury aside, Edwards possesses for the skills necessary to be a fifth wideout at the next level.

http://www.draftinsider.net/reports/...R/Nick-Edwards
    Erik Highsmith

Overview

The Tar Heels’ Dwight Jones received a lot of publicity and accolades for his outstanding 1,000-yard senior season, but off-field and inconsistency issues dropped him out of the 2012 draft altogether. Highsmith finished second to Jones in receiving last season as a junior (51 receptions, 726 yards, five TD), and should match his former teammate’s accomplishments in 2012 – then do him one better by locking up a mid-round draft slot in April.

It didn’t take long for the North Carolina high school star (whose nickname has been “Mook” or “Mookie” since he was young) to make an impact for UNC. He had back-to-back 100-yard efforts in just his third (against East Carolina) and fourth (Georgia Tech) games, and finished with 37 catches for 425 yards and two scores in the 2009 season. His numbers decreased as a sophomore (25-348, three TD), even though he received eight starts and played in all 13 games. Highsmith was a full-time starter (12 of 13 games played) in his break-out junior campaign.

Analysis

Strengths
    Owns the requisite height and length to line up outside. Keeps a step on his man once his strides kick downfield, but also shows the quick feet to free himself inside. Comes off the stem well on outs to separate, also using his frame to shield cornerbacks, while also freezing defenders with jerk routes to find himself in a wide open area. Tough runner after the catch who lowers his pads to fight through tackles, can also make the first man miss with a quick sidestep. His hands are strong enough to grab throws before they reach his body and reach up for high passes, even in tight quarters. Coaches set him in motion, as if running a reverse, several times in some games to create confusion in the defense.

Weaknesses
    Build-up speed and average agility might prevent Highsmith from being among the elite prospects in the class; he takes a few steps to get to his top striding gear and won’t out-run or elude NFL cornerbacks on a regular basis. Shows potential as a blocker with his size and strength, but needs to attack his man and move his feet while engaged to sustain.

NFL Comparison Devin Aromashadu

Bottom Line
    Highsmith scored 100-yard games two of his first four games as a freshman, and then rebounded from a less productive sophomore year to excel as a junior (51-726, five TD). He has the size and hands to be a solid mid-round selection as a possible number two or three receiver filling out a strong NFL receiving corps.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profil...ith?id=2539274

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rev View Post
    That would be so amazing if he actually did well and was able to snag one of those last WR positions. Would be cool to see him wearing his dad's old 80 and use it for motivation to work hard and improve his game.
    it would be...and I'm not saying it's impossible..
    ....but given he hasn't played organized football since getting booted out of school in 2009 and 2 attempts at comebacks never happened, you'd have to think it's quite improbable

Still...the Vikings did sign him..so, as Jim Carrey told Lauren Holly 'so you're sayin' there's a chance'
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    it would be...and I'm not saying it's impossible..
    ....but given he hasn't played organized football since getting booted out of school in 2009 and 2 attempts at comebacks never happened, you'd have to think it's quite improbable

Still...the Vikings did sign him..so, as Jim Carrey told Lauren Holly 'so you're sayin' there's a chance'
    Yeah there are mitigating factors there though, from what I gather about Duron it was academics/transfers that kept him off the field and had nothing to do with his skills as a player. Man it would be nice if he has his dad's sick hands. I wouldn't mind at all to see them un-retire #80, I just hope that D.Carter could live up to the task of putting it on.

Vikings Roster thread
    http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...d.php?t=718220

WE TRUST V4LB!!! HE IS THE GREATEST GUY IN OUR FOURM.
    WITHOUT HIM OUR FOURM WOULDNT BE EXCITING.
    HE GETS ALL THE WOMEN!!!!
    HE IS NEVER WRONG!!!
    WE TRIED TO VOTE FOR HIM FOR PRESIDENT BUT HE IS SO GREAT THAT HE WOULDNT RUN FOR OFFICE

vCash
    I posted this in the Carter thread but Duron was NOT signed by the Vikings. He was invited to a try out along with 30 some other players. No contract yet.

I cant wait to stand on the podium with Zygi and Mark and Jonathan, and were standing on the podium, and we look up and the confetti is falling down on top of us, and were all hand in hand, and Commissioner Goodell comes over and hands the Super Bowl trophy to Mr. Wilf and tells him hes world champion, that is my goal and that is my drive.
    - Mike Zimmer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast