Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Bulls roster under luxury tax

Let's say GarPaxDorf suddenly decided not to pay the tax. In order to achieve that, they need to dump Rip and sign Nate to a lower guaranteed salary.

Lowering Nate's Salary

They cut off Nate after the bucks game(1/9/13) and sign him to a 10 day contract. Teams are allowed to sign a player to a 10 day contract twice, so Nate is expected to be on 10 day contracts until the all-star break.

Players minimum prorated value after the all-star break is 59/170 or 0.347of veteran minimum rate. Players salary is adjusted to the number of days left in the season, divided by the total number of days within the season. Nate's salary would be $397,847 instead of $1,146,337.

Note: Marco Jaric or Jannero Pargo could fill in via 10 day contract if needed.

Dump Rip before the trade deadline(2/21/13)

Houston seems to be poised to make a playoff appearance. But they don't have a bench, and Rip could provide them just that. Rip is a NBA champ who can help the Rockets in their playoff hunt this seaso.

Rip basically gives the Rockets a rotation. He can play SF together with Harden, since he doesn't need to ball in his hands to be effective. Harden-Rip or Rip-Parson is a good pair to play alongside Lin.

Acquiring Rip is a low risk, high reward move for the rockets. They can choose to rent his bench scoring this season, as they can very well afford his $1M guaranteed next season.

Team's Status

At this point, the Bulls payroll stands at $68.89M committed to 12 players in Rose, Belinelli, Deng, Boozer, Noah, Hinrich, Butler, Radmanovic, Gibson Mohammed, Robinson and Teague. They basically have $1.41M to spent for last three remaining spot in the roster, before they hit the tax mark.

A ten year veteran would be have a minimum salary of $437,471 after the trade deadline. Let's say Maurice Evans to replace Rip and two other bigs. The bigs could be Fesenko or some vet that would be bought out by other teams like Lou Amundson.

Bulls 2012-13 $70.2M projected roster

S: D.Rose, Belinelli, Deng, Boozer and Noah
    B: Hinrich, M.Evans, Butler, Gibson and Mohammed
    R: Nate, Teague, Radmanovic, Amundson and Fesenko

vCash
    Pay attention to Minny/Bulls talk about rip hamilton going to minny. I think that has some substance...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Badluck33 View Post
    Pay attention to Minny/Bulls talk about rip hamilton going to minny. I think that has some substance...
    For who though?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by xxcubs22xx View Post
    For who though?
    I dont know. I'm not going to make something up so Shammy could be down my throat about it.

But also Malcolm Lee is down too now so they are really thin at SG and Guard.

The probability has just gone up on getting something done. Nate or Rip to the T-Wolves for pick or picks is MY GUESS!!

The Bulls are going to be desperate to move one or the other so they would probably take a 2014 or 2015 2nd round pick for either of them.

They are NOT going to take salary back for them, that is 100% for sure, guaranteed.
    Last edited by Badluck33; 12-21-2012 at 08:13 AM.

vCash
    Timberwolves are over the salary cap... We would have to match salaries with them

Just a pick wouldn't do it

vCash
    wow... what an insult to Nate... so now even the vet min is too much for him? The guy has played to the level of a $4-5m player.

vCash
    The luxury tax means very little this year. Next year it becomes a problem and the following year it becomes a disaster. Doing anything this year just to get out of luxury tax makes little sense.

vCash
    Are we the only fans who worry about how our stingy cheap *** owner needs all the help in the world to go under the tax. I feel truly sorry for the millions that he is going to lose.

vCash
    It's prob Rip for Stes and lee , I'll take Lee pack even though he's hurt .
    Last edited by Stunner; 12-21-2012 at 10:47 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Flogger View Post
    The luxury tax means very little this year. Next year it becomes a problem and the following year it becomes a disaster. Doing anything this year just to get out of luxury tax makes little sense.
    The repeater's tax is the reason why they would want to be under the luxury tax this year.

vCash
    The Bulls are very far away from that. They would have to be in the luxury territory for four of the past five years. This is their first year.

In a house in a Coldesac in Lake in the Hills, Il
    vCash
    bulls wont release Nate, they will try to trade Rip for somebody who makes less than rip, preferably a C.

Something along the lines of

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=b2fxbsx

we save almost 1.4 million

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=cnflyut

save around 1.7 mil

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=cnn8nph send a 2nd pick, but doesnt save us money

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=c5b9hrz send a pick IMO

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=d9bjtsm

‎"If your going to be thinking anyway, you might as well think big"

-Rem Koolhaas

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Badluck33 View Post
    I dont know. I'm not going to make something up so Shammy could be down my throat about it.

But also Malcolm Lee is down too now so they are really thin at SG and Guard.

The probability has just gone up on getting something done. Nate or Rip to the T-Wolves for pick or picks is MY GUESS!!

The Bulls are going to be desperate to move one or the other so they would probably take a 2014 or 2015 2nd round pick for either of them.

They are NOT going to take salary back for them, that is 100% for sure, guaranteed.
    why would i jump down your throat for that? i could see something like Rip/Nazr for Mahinmi/pick maybe. But like jpro said, it can't just be for picks because of Minny being over the cap

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Shammyguy3 View Post
    why would i jump down your throat for that? i could see something like Rip/Nazr for Mahinmi/pick maybe. But like jpro said, it can't just be for picks because of Minny being over the cap
    I'd be cool with that b/c at least Mahinmi can play 10-12 min a game to give Noah a break. I'd just hate to lose backup offense in Rip while Kirk's been stinking it up.

I know we just got him back but he's playing like the odd man out. At least Nate and Rip can get u 16 a night(combined).
    Broncos be like:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    wow... what an insult to Nate... so now even the vet min is too much for him? The guy has played to the level of a $4-5m player.
    Bulls has the track record of evading tax and Nate has been on four teams in less than three years. I think Bulls would take advantage of that from business stand point.

And yes, it does hurt the players when their cut off like that. Check Bogans and Watson.

Quote Originally Posted by Flogger View Post
    Bulls will have more flexibility in 2014 if they can avoid paying the tax now.

Let's say Bulls 2014 free agency is as disastrous as 2010. Melo stick with NYK and Bron goes to LAL and play with Howard. The rest of the free agents either go somewhere else or stick with their team for bigger money(JJesque).

Bulls keep Boozer's expiring contract and can afford to extend Deng. They don't have to dismantle the team like they did in 2010. They can afford to keep the team intact, because they can pay the luxury for another season. Sort of back-up plan in case they failed again.

2014: Keep Boozer, extend Deng(5 years $10M?) and pay luxury tax.
    2015: Boozer's contract expire, Mirotic comes in, trade Taj and acquire Love.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast