Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Bucher:Kobe focused on surpassing Kareem not MJ as the Offensive GOAT

Someone who knows Kobe Bryant well suggests that he has turned his attention from making his case as the NBA's all-time greatest player by surpassing Michael Jordan in championships to finishing his career as the NBA's all-time leading scorer. The reason? He has a better shot at success. It's not that Kobe won't, or can't, win another ring, but the odds are tilting heavily against him, particularly when it comes to using it as a testament to his all-time greatness. He currently has five titles to his name while Jordan has six, but Bryant can say he made it to the Finals seven times. Passing Jordan on the all-time scoring list, at his current rate, should be a snap; Bryant (30,252) is only 2,040 points behind him. If he maintains his current league-leading scoring average of 29.5, he'll start next season needing roughly 400 more points, or 14 more games at that pace, to rise above his Airness. That alone would put him in the conversation. Imagine, though, if he solidifies himself as both the greatest Laker and scorer of all time by vaulting the last two names on the scroll, Karl Malone (36,928) and Kareem (38,387). It's not the stretch it once seemed. At his current pace, he'll finish this season with nearly 32,000 points (31,903, to be exact). He'd then need to average a little over 26 points for three more seasons to match Kareem. Let's account for age -- even though this season he's defying it -- and say his average drops a couple of points every season for the next three. Let's also allow for a handful of missed games each season. Even with all that, it would take him no more than four more seasons to start sniffing 40,000 points. Knowing Kobe's mindset, this shift makes all the sense in the world because he's always been most comfortable betting on himself. He can't control what kind of team the Lakers put around him, but keeping himself and his scoring average purring along until he's 38? That IS within his control. Retiring as a Laker also makes far more sense for his legacy than chasing a ring elsewhere -- and rest assured, everything Kobe is doing now, whether it's his public compliments to the young stars coming up behind him or his measured tone as a leader or his graciousness to the media, is about polishing that legacy. I'm also told the Lakers realize that finding another box-office attraction on Kobe's level, no matter how few games they win, would be extremely difficult. And just imagine him becoming the all-time scoring leader in someone else's uniform? The Lakers would rather not. Nor would Kobe.
    LA Sports
    Sulia
    Ric Bucher
    Last edited by Rocco007; 12-21-2012 at 12:01 PM.
    ...A Dynasty A Cometh... 1225

vCash
    I expected more from you Rocco007, than to post this crap...

vCash
    Oh yeah, BTW... "Kobe Bryant will never play another game in a Lakers uniform" - Ric Puker

vCash
    If Kobe is really content on scoring like that he will never get a 6th ring...starting to think Kobe cares more about personal accomplishments rather than titles..I hope that is not the case.
    [/IMG]

vCash
    You lost me at Bucher

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shep33 View Post
    You lost me at Bucher
    Instead of getting lost, you should have closed this

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jsthornton7 View Post
    Instead of getting lost, you should have closed this
    As much as I'd like to close anything Bucher related, it's still a Laker-topic. If it gets out of hand though, I'll close it

vCash
    Uh. No.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shep33 View Post
    As much as I'd like to close anything Bucher related, it's still a Laker-topic. If it gets out of hand though, I'll close it
    Fortunately, he doesn't work for ESPN anymore

vCash
    If Kobe was only focused on scoring, why the hell would he ask for a contending team every year???

You F morons.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron24th View Post
    If Kobe was only focused on scoring, why the hell would he ask for a contending team every year???

You F morons.
    Why would he take so many games off, scoring-wise, suddenly taking only 10 or 11 shots and focusing on facilitating for a game. Granted, it's that Jekyll & Hyde change that some people don't like, but if he was so focused on scoring, he wouldn't take ANY games off. And he sure as shart wouldn't concede a scoring title by not playing in the last game of the season to rest for the playoffs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMgl View Post
    Why would he take so many games off, scoring-wise, suddenly taking only 10 or 11 shots and focusing on facilitating for a game. Granted, it's that Jekyll & Hyde change that some people don't like, but if he was so focused on scoring, he wouldn't take ANY games off. And he sure as shart wouldn't concede a scoring title by not playing in the last game of the season to rest for the playoffs.
    Thank you

vCash
    LMAO.....really,he thinks at 35-36 he will shoot 25+ shots a game?? damm i am big Kobe fan,but i hope after his contract expires,lakers won't give him new contract....its Kobe he will ask for 15+ millions a year and 3-4 years deal...and be first option on offense....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMgl View Post
    Still kind of pist he did that, also considering the fact that we didnt go far and the team quick in the second round, I really he score that 39 to take the tittle, and add that to his resume. I mean if he did that than last season wouldnt have been a bust completely.

vCash
    A few years ago I predicted Kobe would play until 39 or 40... and that was back when his knee was bothering him. We shall see...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast