Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 8 of 67 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SLY WILLIAMS View Post
    I really do not think Silva wants tough or dangerous fights. I do not think he likes to be hit anymore. I could see he didnt like when Demian Maia hit him. I could see that he did not like when Chael hit him when they stood up in their first fight.

I'd like to see him fight Jon Jones, Lyoto Machida or Rashad Evans before he gets too old.
    If anyone likes to get hit in the face, is AS. Sure, nobody likes to get hit, but AS is one of the few who lets his opponents get freebies and takes it like nothing. Of all the things you can accuse AS, that never would have crossed my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by steelcityroller View Post
    Yeah it is hard for me to buy Anderson Silva only wants big fights that challenge himself against name opponents when

(1) He says he would be open to a 3rd fight with Rich Franklin who he absolutely destroyed the first 2 times

(2) Would fight Luke Rockhold who is no more of a name than Chris Weidman to UFC fans.

(3) Will fight Cung Le who has pretty much only won 1 big fight in his career.
    I don't know why fans are surprised. This isn't the first time AS or his people do this. They like to name everyone who AS should fight except the #1 contender. It's like they do it on purpose to piss the fans off.

AS wants big money fights correct? When Weidman beat Munoz he was still relatively unknown. Had AS fought Weidman as soon as possible, there wouldn't have been enough buzz.

The consensus is AS is either "afraid" or "ducking" a fight vs Weidman. This is based on the reason that Weidman is a wrestler and some fans think that if AS has weakness, it's his wrestling.

You have AS not willing to budge and give in to Weidman's demands. What does this do? It creates a rivalry that wasn't there before.

All of a sudden, this fight has traction, AS was able to create a rivalry between him and Weidman out of nowhere. Now fans are anxious to see this fight.

Go to other MMA sites and most threads about AS are about him not wanting to fight Weidman. A fight that wouldn't have meant much back in October means a lot now.

AS has his money fight.

Don't forget that AS is close to signing a new contract, maybe he wants to get this new deal done and make sure that even though he won't get a super fight like he wanted to, he will still get paid as if he was.
    -----

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Knockturnal View Post
    If anyone likes to get hit in the face, is AS. Sure, nobody likes to get hit, but AS is one of the few who lets his opponents get freebies and takes it like nothing. Of all the things you can accuse AS, that never would have crossed my mind.
    I had a feeling somebody would say that but I respectfully disagree. I saw how AS reacted against Maia when he got hit. I saw how he reacted when he got hit by Chael while on their feet in the first fight. Yeah I know he sticks his face out and drops his hands daring the other guy to hit him but much like with Nate Diaz (or Hector Camacho) I feel that is nothing more than a strategy ploy not AS actually wanting to get hit. AS does it knowing it rarely ends up with him getting hit. It puts the other guy off balance. Nate probably did not end up liking it much when Henderson was ready for the ploy then took the invitation and dropped him.
    I'm always happy to discuss anything from hoops, to hockey, to reality TV with anyone that is polite no matter what their opinion. With that said if you are disrespectful or dishonest poster please do not expect a reply.

vCash
    I had a feeling somebody would say that but I respectfully disagree. I saw how AS reacted against Maia when he got hit. I saw how he reacted when he got hit by Chael while on their feet in the first fight. Yeah I know he sticks his face out and drops his hands daring the other guy to hit him but much like with Nate Diaz (or Hector Camacho) I feel that is nothing more than a strategy ploy not AS actually wanting to get hit. AS does it knowing it rarely ends up with him getting hit. It puts the other guy off balance. Nate probably did not end up liking it much when Henderson was ready for the ploy then took the invitation and dropped him.
    I agree with about Diaz brothers, what they do it's more of a ploy to distract their opponents (it doesn't hurt that they have good chins). But when AS does it, is more to show his opponent that their punches don't hurt him. It's more psychological with him.

Here's a video of AS training and the reason why I say that AS has no problem getting hit in the face.
    -----

vCash
    UFC and Anderson Silva not ready to commit to Chris Weidman title fight

What's next for UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva, who could return to the octagon this spring? Chris Weidman is a possibility, but no one seems to be ready to commit.

Silva, the UFC's longtime titleholder and the world's top pound-for-pound fighter, has made no firm promises about his next opponent. In recent months, rumored possibilities have run the gamut of the welterweight, middleweight and light-heavyweight divisions: Georges St-Pierre, Jon Jones, Luke Rockhold, Cung Le and – before their recent losses – Michael Bisping, Alan Belcher and Tim Boetsch.

Weidman (9-0 MMA, 5-0 UFC), who's been on the sidelines since a dominant win over Mark Munoz this past summer, has been the most vocal about wanting the opportunity against Silva (33-4 MMA, 16-0 UFC) .

"Weidman and his manager sat down and said, 'We want Anderson Silva. We want to fight him. I'm going to beat him. I'm going to be the next world champion,'" UFC President Dana White said. "I said, 'OK. We'll call you in a few weeks.'"

However, Silva and Co., including manager Ed Soares, have expressed little desire in a matchup they feel is unmarketable.

"This is typical Anderson Silva-Ed Soares craziness," White said. "Every f---ing time there's a fight, he wants to fight 'Mighty Mouse' Johnson. Then he wants to fight this guy and that guy. It's always the same deal. It always happen. 'I absolutely will not fight Chael Sonnen. He doesn't deserve the title.' This is what we do."

Weidman, a two-time NCAA Division I All-American wrestler, joined the UFC with a late-notice opportunity and a meager 4-0 record. However, the 28-year-old has quickly emerged as a contender following wins over Alessio Sakara, Jesse Bongfeldt, Tom Lawlor, Demian Maia and Munoz.

Weidman was slated to fight Boetsch in a featured bout this past month at UFC 155. However, a shoulder injury ultimately forced him out of the bout and onto the sidelines. He underwent successful surgery for a torn labrum and rotator cuff, an AC joint separation and a slight ligament tear back in November.

Upon his return, Weidman said he still wants Silva. But though White has suggested the champ's next challenge will come from the middleweight division, it won't necessarily be Weidman.

"We're waiting on something and want to see if this thing pans out," White said. "When we're ready to announce it, we'll announce it. [Silva] will defend his title, but it won't be a super fight."
    Last edited by Knockturnal; 01-27-2013 at 07:48 PM.
    -----

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Knockturnal View Post
    I agree with about Diaz brothers, what they do it's more of a ploy to distract their opponents (it doesn't hurt that they have good chins). But when AS does it, is more to show his opponent that their punches don't hurt him. It's more psychological with him.

Here's a video of AS training and the reason why I say that AS has no problem getting hit in the face.
    I appreciate the video but did those look like real punches meant to hurt him in any way? Do you remember when Maia hit Silva a few times in the 3rd or 4th round and Silva did absolutely nothing after that? I'm not saying Silva can not take a punch. I know he can take a punch and has very good defense. I just think like many of us older folks. The older he gets the less he wants to take a punch.
    I'm always happy to discuss anything from hoops, to hockey, to reality TV with anyone that is polite no matter what their opinion. With that said if you are disrespectful or dishonest poster please do not expect a reply.

vCash
    My money is on Silva fighting Hector Lombard or Cung Le.

vCash
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRdYec68MOk

vCash
    AS has shown a good chin but I did not say he had a bad chin. I said I feel like he does not like to be hit and I stand by that opinion. I feel he wants easier fights not the more dangerous fights.

vCash
    My money is on Silva fighting Hector Lombard or Cung Le.
    The only way Le fights AS is if he serves as a late injury replacement or if he gets 2 more wins over top 10 MW's. But by then, AS probably will retire...

Lombard needs to beat Okami and I think he gets a shot. Not the worse fight to make, but the Boetsch fight really took away a lot of it's luster.

My money is on Rockhold. You know, the whole Champ vs Champ angle.

I would say the Weidman fight is still a viable option. A July fight is doable.
    -----

vCash
    AS has shown a good chin but I did not say he had a bad chin. I said I feel like he does not like to be hit and I stand by that opinion. I feel he wants easier fights not the more dangerous fights.
    wanting easier fights and not wanting to get hit are two different things.

vCash
    I appreciate the video but did those look like real punches meant to hurt him in any way? Do you remember when Maia hit Silva a few times in the 3rd or 4th round and Silva did absolutely nothing after that? I'm not saying Silva can not take a punch. I know he can take a punch and has very good defense. I just think like many of us older folks. The older he gets the less he wants to take a punch.
    He put his back against the cage against Bonnar and invited being hit.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tnewkirk View Post
    wanting easier fights and not wanting to get hit are two different things.
    I think he wants promotable fights. And I'm not sure how you promote Weidman.

vCash
    Randy Couture signs with Bellator but the capacity is unclear as some are speculating that he will be a coach on their upcoming reality show, a commentator or possibly even as a fighter at some point.

http://www.fightline.com/fl/news/201...64/dana-white/

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rylinkus View Post
    I think he wants promotable fights. And I'm not sure how you promote Weidman.
    Pretty much.

The rumor is that if Evans wins on Saturday, he's making the cut to 185 and challenge AS. If this is true the theory of AS "ducking" wrestlers or "tough" fights, goes out window.

Randy Couture signs with Bellator but the capacity is unclear as some are speculating that he will be a coach on their upcoming reality show, a commentator or possibly even as a fighter at some point.

http://www.fightline.com/fl/news/201...64/dana-white/
    Interesting move by Randy. This explains why he wasn't on the Fox broadcast booth.

We'll see how this goes, but I doubt he fights again.
    -----

vCash

Page 8 of 67 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast