Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    vCash
    That's Texas for you. No offense to DFW, I lived there for 16 years, but its the most fairweather sports town you will ever be in. No loyalty whatsoever. I mean seriously half the city was probably like, wait we have a NBA team? When they won the finals. Same with the Rangers. One strong losing season, the fans will abandon. That's why I said the Rangers really needed to make a run at it NOW. Finally win a World Series, and you will get some breathing room. Tank your team out because you don't want to sign anyone, well then Jon Daniels can buy his own damn $46.00 pizza pretzels.
    2012 Texas Rangers Offseason

"I have never used steroids. Period. I don't know how to say it any more clearly than that. Never” -Rafael Palmeiro (4 Months before testing positive for steroids)

Texas Rangers 2010-11 American League Champions!

Indianapolis Colts Super Bowl XLI Champions!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vigilantex69 View Post
    That's Texas for you. No offense to DFW, I lived there for 16 years, but its the most fairweather sports town you will ever be in. No loyalty whatsoever. I mean seriously half the city was probably like, wait we have a NBA team? When they won the finals. Same with the Rangers. One strong losing season, the fans will abandon. That's why I said the Rangers really needed to make a run at it NOW. Finally win a World Series, and you will get some breathing room. Tank your team out because you don't want to sign anyone, well then Jon Daniels can buy his own damn $46.00 pizza pretzels.
    Thats completely untrue. I've rooted for the Mavs since the Rolando Blackman, Jamal Mashburn, Jimmy Jackson days when they would win an average of 3 games a year. Same with the Rangers (Tettleton, Palmer, Juan Gone, Pudge, Mack, Greer), Stars and Cowboys. In fact, the same is true in my circle of friends. I know a guy and him and his wife fly a Chiefs banner outside of their house every Sunday. Chiefs? I think the level of your fandom has less to do with the region, and much more to do with the person.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by harlequin018 View Post
    Thats completely untrue. I've rooted for the Mavs since the Rolando Blackman, Jamal Mashburn, Jimmy Jackson days when they would win an average of 3 games a year. Same with the Rangers (Tettleton, Palmer, Juan Gone, Pudge, Mack, Greer), Stars and Cowboys. In fact, the same is true in my circle of friends. I know a guy and him and his wife fly a Chiefs banner outside of their house every Sunday. Chiefs? I think the level of your fandom has less to do with the region, and much more to do with the person.
    I think you're missing his point. You and myself and several others on this board are the exception, not the rule. You can say all you want about how many people you know that rooted on the Rangers when they sucked...but if you really went to those games, you'd see the same thing the rest of us saw...nobody. I remember Mavs games where I swear there were more NBA/team employees than fans in the stands.

At the Rangers, especially through the early 2000's, you could always buy the cheapest tickets then later walk right in to the lower level. Every team has die hard fans. I presume most Rangers fans on PSD are die hards, because most casual fans don't find a site like PSD to chat on...they go to ESPN or something similar or nowhere at all.

But he is absolutely correct. Look at the Stars when they won their championship. You couldn't go 50 feet in DFW without meeting a 'lifelong Stars fan' or seeing Stars colors. Both before and after though, that place has been empty. The Rangers couldn't get people to come out even to see A-Rod, before we all hated him with a passion. The Mavs drafted Jason Kidd and I remember hearing people bad mouth him as a ball hog and other things. The only team that miraculously never loses it's fan base is the Cowboys.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."
    — Dr. Seuss

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizzik View Post
    I think you're missing his point. You and myself and several others on this board are the exception, not the rule. You can say all you want about how many people you know that rooted on the Rangers when they sucked...but if you really went to those games, you'd see the same thing the rest of us saw...nobody. I remember Mavs games where I swear there were more NBA/team employees than fans in the stands.

At the Rangers, especially through the early 2000's, you could always buy the cheapest tickets then later walk right in to the lower level. Every team has die hard fans. I presume most Rangers fans on PSD are die hards, because most casual fans don't find a site like PSD to chat on...they go to ESPN or something similar or nowhere at all.

But he is absolutely correct. Look at the Stars when they won their championship. You couldn't go 50 feet in DFW without meeting a 'lifelong Stars fan' or seeing Stars colors. Both before and after though, that place has been empty. The Rangers couldn't get people to come out even to see A-Rod, before we all hated him with a passion. The Mavs drafted Jason Kidd and I remember hearing people bad mouth him as a ball hog and other things. The only team that miraculously never loses it's fan base is the Cowboys.

That really is just the nature of sports though....you dont see a whole lot of teams that have a majority of die hard fans through thick and thin. You get people showing up to games and selling out when the teams are performing well. Its the reason why teams dont make as much profit when ownership doesnt put a good product out there....when teams are successful you will find a ton of "die hard" fans coming out of the woodworks to cheer for them, it is what it is.

vCash
    Rangers front office is playing with fire. If we stand pat and dont do much of anything before the start of season and the new younger (and cheap) core doesnt come through the large crowds will start to wane and we will hear ownership start talking about big contracts as an albatross to the organization..

vCash

All I was saying is that every team has a majority of fairweather fans that will only follow if they're playing well. But there are a lot of fans, myself included, who will go to and watch games regardless of record. I don't see the difference in this from Houston, to Dallas, to anywhere else in the country. Thats just the nature of people.

vCash
    I don't know, I completely agree with him. DFW has some pretty ****** sports fans.

vCash
    All I was saying is that every team has a majority of fairweather fans that will only follow if they're playing well. But there are a lot of fans, myself included, who will go to and watch games regardless of record. I don't see the difference in this from Houston, to Dallas, to anywhere else in the country. Thats just the nature of people.
    That is true (minus a few rarer exceptions - like the Cowboys, Yankees, Lakers, etc). But why it's important is because if the team does get worse, and we bring in less people...well, we see the money they're willing to spend on free agents over the last three successful season. Imagine the money they'd spend if we're bringing in 1.5M people instead of 3M.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."
    — Dr. Seuss

vCash
    That is true (minus a few rarer exceptions - like the Cowboys, Yankees, Lakers, etc). But why it's important is because if the team does get worse, and we bring in less people...well, we see the money they're willing to spend on free agents over the last three successful season. Imagine the money they'd spend if we're bringing in 1.5M people instead of 3M.
    I think that might be what their plan is with the rising ticket prices, they are basically preparing for a mediocre, non-playoff season. By raising the prices, they are forcing fans to pay more early on to prepare for when the fans slowly start to decrease in attendance later on in the year. But by the end of the year the owners will still have close to the same amount of money as this past season.

vCash
    Didn't we bring in Beltre when we were pulling that many in? I can't remember, but that was the year after we went to our first World Series. Of course the expected boost from reaching the World Series probably helped offset that, rendering my thought moot.
    Dallas Mavericks 2010-11 NBA CHAMPIONS
    Dirk Nowitzki 2010-2011 Finals MVP

Texas Rangers 2010, 2011 AL West & AL Champions

vCash
    Not to mention...free agents (good ones) like to play for winning teams. If you're not winning, then you A) either lose out on the free agent you want or B) have to pay him a lot more than the competitor to get him to come to your mediocre team.

Who needs Josh Hamilton when you can have this for $11m?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDFan85 View Post
    Didn't we bring in Beltre when we were pulling that many in? I can't remember, but that was the year after we went to our first World Series. Of course the expected boost from reaching the World Series probably helped offset that, rendering my thought moot.
    The Beltre thing was discussed in other threads, but just to give you my thoughts on it. I was ALWAYS a supporter of Beltre being brought in. He has been excellent. The knock on him coming in was offensive consistency, and anyone who talked about that was just an idiot who only looks at half a game. Beltre is the best defensive third baseman in the game over the last several years. The offense is a bonus.

That all being said, Beltre is also only a third baseman. What he's not is a pitcher or a consistent MVP player. He can carry teams in stretches, but he's not like a Hamilton or Kemp or Miggy or any of a number of other truly elite hitters.

The side of fans I'm with is the side that fears we will never spend real money on a big name player, specifically a proven ace. We don't hand out long enough contracts and we refuse to outbid our competition. Beltre was a great addition, but he was also at the end of his prime and willing to sign for five years (inside of Nolan's acceptable contract length).

And until they magically grow an ace or two from our farm or go sign one...I fear this team will never be able to finish the job. On top of all of that...I see a team that is beginning to break apart and holes all over the roster that weren't there a few years back. If this team starts sucking, they won't pull in the attendance numbers in 100 degree heat and the profit goes down...which with this ownership group, that likely means, so does the payroll.
    — Dr. Seuss

vCash
    Skiz is correct. Let us all remember the inflection point we are at in Rangers history. There is NO doubt that if the young "talent" doesnt come through and profits begin to wane many several years from now we will be talking about how a few big contracts or potential free agent signings will be an albatross for ownership. It is similar in economies around the world. Austerity leads to worse economic activity leading to reduced revenue leading to an ever worsening economy. Only difference in this analogy is the Rangers ownership unlike small EU countries is in a position of a surplus. Now is not the time for Baseball Austerity.

vCash
    The best example I can give of DFW sports can be described in two words. Dallas Stars. Granted hockey killed itself, but when I was there the Stars were the most dominant team in the NHL. Everyone I knew had a Modano jersey. Then, a few losing seasons later they are bankrupt and talking about moving the team.

"I have never used steroids. Period. I don't know how to say it any more clearly than that. Never” -Rafael Palmeiro (4 Months before testing positive for steroids)

vCash
    And yes, if we are actively talking about the Rangers on here we are the 1% of diehard Rangers fans no doubt. We cannot be compared to the soccer moms in Colleyville...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123