Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

interesting paragraph about floor spacing bigs

Asik also dives hard to the rim, as about 87 percent of his shots come in the restricted area. One of my personal pet-peeves in basketball lingo is how many will blindly refer to a jump-shooting big man as someone who "spaces the floor." In the right context, yes, that can be true. But when a team has four other players outside of the paint taking jump shots, a big man that floats around the perimeter actually bunches the offense up compared to someone who plays in the paint. In the Rockets' attack, Asik should be considered just as much of a floor spacer as the three-point shooters.

Rich Hoffman

gotta pay the troll toll

vCash

Could our midrange shooting bigs (hawes and lavoy namely) be preventing our penetrators from getting at the rim?

Also giving our deep threats less room to be open and allowing defensive to close out faster?

I had never thought about that before, but it makes soooo much sense

gotta pay the troll toll

vCash
    If defenses have to key in on you, know where you are at all times, you are a floor spacer so long as you have a compliment that can capitalize in other areas on the floor.
    Pay attention. You might learn something.

vCash
    Great observation by the author in the OP. You need a balanced attack and players need to compliment each other.

Quote Originally Posted by BChydro86 View Post
    Could our midrange shooting bigs (hawes and lavoy namely) be preventing our penetrators from getting at the rim?

Also giving our deep threats less room to be open and allowing defensive to close out faster?

I had never thought about that before, but it makes soooo much sense
    Yes, teams don't have to respect them so they clog things up for our guards. We can't even run a decent PnR. You need players who can play in different areas of the court. That would have Bynum's territory.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Hinkie
    "I'm probably pretty boring to watch a game with because I''m all about expected values. I don''t even care if it goes in or not, I'm all about, '‘Should it go in?'' I can live with randomness. I mean, if it''s a close game in the end, yeah, I''m just like anyone else. But I just want us to play the odds all the time."
    TerminH1NK13

vCash
    I've been saying this forever now. I thought it seemed pretty obvious. It's why Boston consistently has no respect for our inside game and camps out on the perimeter on defense.

He woulda been ****ed in Washington...
    Update: Turns out he was ****ed in Kansas City too

Flyers PSD Hall of Fame Class of 2009
    Phillies PSD Hall of Fame Class of 2010

vCash
    Hoffman has a point. But there are different ways to space a floor. Right now, the Sixers don't have an Asik near the rim or an experienced NBA point guard on the floor. And about 30 games in it still feels like Collins doesn't have some of these guys in their best roles. Those are bigger issues than having two Bigs on the roster (Lavoy and Hawes) who are mainly mid range shooters.
    Quote Originally Posted by RickyPrior View Post
    When you go out of the way just to hate...no one takes you seriously.

vCash
    Hoffman has a point. But there are different ways to space a floor. Right now, the Sixers don't have an Asik near the rim or an experienced NBA point guard on the floor. And about 30 games in it still feels like Collins doesn't have some of these guys in their best roles. Those are bigger issues than having two Bigs on the roster (Lavoy and Hawes) who are mainly mid range shooters.

vCash

^ it creates less space..... Clogs the middle of the floor. Prevents penetration. Makes it easier for defenses to defend the 3.

gotta pay the troll toll

vCash
    ^exactly. If only Kwame knew how to play basketball.

RETURN OF THE MAC

Rec: 8 Yards: 142 TD: 2

vCash

Lavoy and hawes theoretically can both play closer to the basket..... Theyre both more akilled than asik..... Although asik is a million times tougher than hawes and quite a bit tougher than lavoy as well....

But they have the core skills to be around the basket.... They just dont have the mental makeup for it.... Lavoy could get there tho with some coaching.

gotta pay the troll toll

vCash
    It's always ideal to have at least one big on the floor who can finish plays near the rim or off a pick and roll. But they don't grow on trees, and we have none playing right now.

To make a blanket statement that a high post big or a pick and pop big is always just in the way doesn't ring very true to me. If it wasn't for our mid range jump shooting bigs(Hawes against Chicago and Lavoy against Boston), we don't go very deep into the post season last year.

BTW, Hydro, you are underrating Asik's skills around the basket. But skills is only half the problem....Asik and that other guy for Houston, Smith, both simply have more physical ability than Hawes or Lavoy to finish near the rim.
    Last edited by wannabGM; 12-21-2012 at 01:02 PM.

vCash

This team has 4 guys at almost all times playing between 12-18 feet.

Thats a problem.... Especially when the 5th guy is outside the 3pt line and not particularly open

gotta pay the troll toll

vCash
    I think you described last year's offense more than this one when it comes to spacing. That's not to say that spacing is never a problem. But it was a bigger one last year. We have several guys around the 3 point line, and our bigs play much more pick and roll/pop as opposed to camping out in the high post most of the game like last year. Execution, and putting guys in their best roles to succeed are the bigger issues that I see....combined with a lack of a Big who can finish in the paint in traffic.