Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad IBCB View Post
    2013 = Low payroll; extra money.

Lock up the player now, give him the 8M signing bonus, and free up 2.6M for the following three seasons when we are more likely to need said money.

Like northsider said, it's not exactly rocket science.
    Take the $8M check, stick it in the bank, earn some horrifically low amount of interest, and give him a $2M check every year.

There, I just came up with a clearly better option for the team.

Not rocket science.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidH View Post
    Take the $8M check, stick it in the bank, earn some horrifically low amount of interest, and give him a $2M check every year.

Not rocket science.
    Yeah, maybe if we were in a position to win right now and needed the extra money this year.

You clearly don't get the concept and the clear advantages of the bonus. I'm pretty sure Theo, Jed, and Ricketts have a better understanding than you do.

vCash

Not rocket science.
    Well cause it's guaranteed money and contractual agreements.

It was up front money to get him to sign and then be able to pay him a lower annual salary in the years coming we hope to actual be competitive after this year's most likely mediocre season.

I can understand backloading if your team plans on contending that year and then wants to leave time to figure out the rest later.

I.E. trying to sell off part of his contract in a trade with money eaten.

vCash
    By the way I am not against back loaded contracts at all.

However I am weary of them.

Everyone can cross there fingers and pray that the guy retires and leaves money on the table right............

vCash
    Yeah, maybe if we were in a position to win right now and needed the extra money this year.

You clearly don't get the concept and the clear advantages of the bonus. I'm pretty sure Theo, Jed, and Ricketts have a better understanding than you do.
    No, you clearly don't.

The bonus was given to sweeten the pot for Edwin. That's great. We can afford to do things like that to seal the deal (and it definitely beats throwing in the NTC like Hendry would've).

It does not benefit the Cubs in any way.

The people who think otherwise basically don't have a semblance of a clue as to how to manage money. That's not a personal attack or insult. That's a fact.

vCash
    I manage my money quite well, actually. Thanks.

vCash
    No, you clearly don't.

The bonus was given to sweeten the pot for Edwin. That's great. We can afford to do things like that to seal the deal (and it definitely beats throwing in the NTC like Hendry would've).

It does not benefit the Cubs in any way.

The people who think otherwise basically don't have a semblance of a clue as to how to manage money. That's not a personal attack or insult. That's a fact.
    I totally get what your saying but, don't you like the notion that in the years we actually expect to contend his annual salary won't be as high?

Money spent is money spent however in this instance a bonus incentive was a great way to go IMO.

Either way it's not make or break money for a reliable pitcher and a pretty decent one at that.

vCash
    I manage my money quite well, actually. Thanks.
    Then please explain to me, with some modicum of logic, how the scenario where you hand Edwin Jackson a check for $8M today beats taking your $8M, investing it, and paying Edwin Jackson that money as $2M a year for 4 years.

If they pay the money later, they have essentially given themselves an interest free loan for those 4 years and can make themselves money with that money.

Paying off things up front is a great option for people who can't manage their money properly and will blow it off frivolously if they don't pay off their purchases immediately. Major League Baseball teams don't need to operate this way.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by northsider View Post
    I totally get what your saying but, don't you like the notion that in the years we actually expect to contend his annual salary won't be as high?

Money spent is money spent however in this instance a bonus incentive was a great way to go IMO.

Either way it's not make or break money for a reliable pitcher and a pretty decent one at that.
    I understand why it feels better to do that, but there is, in fact, no real tangible benefit to it.

Again, I have no problem with the bonus and if it was the deal closer for us, it was a brilliant move.

vCash
    Then please explain to me, with some modicum of logic, how the scenario where you hand Edwin Jackson a check for $8M today beats taking your $8M, investing it, and paying Edwin Jackson that money as $2M a year for 4 years.

If they pay the money later, they have essentially given themselves an interest free loan for those 4 years and can make themselves money with that money.

Paying off things up front is a great option for people who can't manage their money properly and will blow it off frivolously if they don't pay off their purchases immediately. Major League Baseball teams don't need to operate this way.
    It was a incentive to get him to sign though right? Maybe a performance bonus would've been nicer I guess but, I don't see a problem with it.

I am kind of missing your gripe? Is it that you don't think people understand the money spent or you don't think it was worth it to toss up money we had to spend regardless. I am hard pressed to think that you came up with an idea that totally flew over the head of a ML front office (not saying this is an impossible instance) however these are very rich people and for very good reasons.

vCash
    I understand why it feels better to do that, but there is, in fact, no real tangible benefit to it.

Again, I have no problem with the bonus and if it was the deal closer for us, it was a brilliant move.
    IDK I guess I just see us in an instance where a front loaded bonus signing is better for a team like us who isn't in a state of contention but, allowed us to pay a little less annually in years we should be.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by northsider View Post
    It was a incentive to get him to sign though right? Maybe a performance bonus would've been nicer I guess but, I don't see a problem with it.

I am kind of missing your gripe? Is it that you don't think people understand the money spent or you don't think it was worth it to toss up money we had to spend regardless. I am hard pressed to think that you came up with an idea that totally flew over the head of a ML front office (not saying this is an impossible instance) however these are very rich people and for very good reasons.
    Again, I have no problem with the bonus being given.

My issue is only with the logic being used in here. I'd give these signing bonuses all the time if it's what it takes to get a player to come here (especially while we are really bad and are going to have a bit of a harder time convincing guys to come here).

So, we don't really disagree on the idea that it was a good move.

vCash
    Again, I have no problem with the bonus being given.

My issue is only with the logic being used in here. I'd give these signing bonuses all the time if it's what it takes to get a player to come here (especially while we are really bad and are going to have a bit of a harder time convincing guys to come here).

So, we don't really disagree on the idea that it was a good move.
    I guess not.

And even more so if MLB had a cap cause I don't think bonus money would affect that.

vCash
    The big mystery to me is always going to be why this is 8th team and why he got no love in his two trips through free agency.

vCash

Yes. Preach.

Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast